What Have You "Watched" Lately? - Page 21 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 97Likes

post #601 of 612 Old 09-14-2017, 08:45 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 134 Post(s)
Liked: 66
PIRANHA 3D and PIRANHA 3DD 3D and both were a worthy addition to my growing 3D collection. The underwater ballet scene is worth the price of the first movie and Hasselhoffs appearance in the second movie is the same.

Both had very good 3D with plenty of pop-outs...pun intended!!!

Just watched Ant-Man and it was excellent. A great addition to your 3D collection.

...finally retired and spending time in my HT!!!

Equipment consists of: Epson 6040 3D/4K UB Projector(ISFed); 110" 16x9 Dalite HD Progressive Screen; Samsung 3D/4K K8500 Player; 5.1 Definitive Speakers (Cte, Towers, Rs); Earthquake P12 sub; Onkyo 608 A/V Receiver; MX990 Remote; 5 Bello chairs; Coaire Mini-split A/C.

Last edited by inspector; 09-16-2017 at 07:35 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #602 of 612 Old 09-21-2017, 10:28 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 31
I bought some new titles recently, "Shrek Forever After" (Shrek 4) and "Upside Down." I bought the second title at a pawn shop and the first one from Ebay, where it is being sold at a pretty low price right now (looks like someone broke up sets of films and is selling a lot of these disk 4 movies).

I like all the Shrek films except for Shrek 3. Shrek Forever After has a story very similar to "It's a Wonderful Life" where Shrek gets to see what the world was like if he had not been born. Solid story, good characters. Standard cartoon 3D effects.

"Upside Down" is a poetic love story told against a backdrop of fantasy posing as science fiction. It is an allegorical tale of two lovers fighting not only the traditions and laws of society, but the very laws of the universe in order to be together.

The 3D effect is not pronounced, but the story stands on its own merits. The art design is also very good.
post #603 of 612 Old 09-21-2017, 04:05 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 866 Post(s)
Liked: 306
Quote:
Originally Posted by rural scribe View Post
I bought some new titles recently, "Shrek Forever After" (Shrek 4) and "Upside Down." I bought the second title at a pawn shop and the first one from Ebay, where it is being sold at a pretty low price right now (looks like someone broke up sets of films and is selling a lot of these disk 4 movies).

I like all the Shrek films except for Shrek 3. Shrek Forever After has a story very similar to "It's a Wonderful Life" where Shrek gets to see what the world was like if he had not been born. Solid story, good characters. Standard cartoon 3D effects.
I found the Shrek 4 disc set in 3D locally here with all 4 films. It is a promotional item indicated on the cover. Think I paid 20.00 for it.

This line intentionally left blank.

post #604 of 612 Old 09-22-2017, 12:28 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 37
WONDER WOMAN 3.5/5
PQ: 4.5/5
3D: 4/5
AQ: 4/5

Watched my copy tonight and still enjoyed the film but it is a bit slow for an action/comic book movie. Origin stories tend to do that but the action was great and so was the sound when it finally happens. Sure we don't get the Atmos track but the movie didn't even really have much of atmospheric sound during the character driven moments. Seemed a bit front heavy to me, but again things become very active and engaging during the big battle scenes and the sub has some nice booming moments. Still I was a bit let down by the track and just wish they made it a bit livelier during the the quieter moments. It ain't a bad 3D disc though with some occasional pop out moments from debris and bullets flying at you. It also brought a nice depth to the landscape and battlefields. I was a bit worried because I had some bad moments of crosstalk in a few scenes with my theatrical viewings and witness nothing whatsoever with the disc *phew* Overall this is probably DC's best film in the new universe they are creating and hopefully this is a trend upwards for them.

My DVD Collection
HOME THEATER:
JVC X950RB Projector, 106", Samsung 51" 3D Plasma, Marantz sr7010 in 5.2.4 Atmos/DTS:X
post #605 of 612 Old 09-23-2017, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomtastic View Post
I found the Shrek 4 disc set in 3D locally here with all 4 films. It is a promotional item indicated on the cover. Think I paid 20.00 for it.
I've seen those 4 disk sets on sale on ebay, too. I put in a bid on one, but got outbid by 50 cents at the last second. I think it went for $10.51, but that set was missing the fourth disk, which I already had, so it would have rounded out my set of 3D Shrek movies.

According to the advertisement on ebay, the set originally came with three Shrek movies, but you could get the fourth one with a coupon included in the set, or some such deal.
post #606 of 612 Old 09-23-2017, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desmond7 View Post
Where did you buy it from? It's 50 dollars on amazon.
I just checked on Ebay, where this title is selling for $34 and up. Cheaper than Amazon, but not inexpensive compared to domestic disks.
post #607 of 612 Old 09-23-2017, 09:14 AM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Shrek 3d sets were going for over 100 when first given away on release, remember selling my free copy of Avator for over 100 as well, even the megamind free version was selling for alot.
post #608 of 612 Old 09-25-2017, 11:37 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 859 Post(s)
Liked: 768
Quote:
Originally Posted by invadergir View Post
WONDER WOMAN 3.5/5
3D: 4/5
AQ: 4/5

Watched my copy tonight and still enjoyed the film but it is a bit slow for an action/comic book movie. Origin stories tend to do that but the action was great and so was the sound when it finally happens. Sure we don't get the Atmos track but the movie didn't even really have much of atmospheric sound during the character driven moments. Seemed a bit front heavy to me, but again things become very active and engaging during the big battle scenes and the sub has some nice booming moments. Still I was a bit let down by the track and just wish they made it a bit livelier during the the quieter moments. It ain't a bad 3D disc though with some occasional pop out moments from debris and bullets flying at you. It also brought a nice depth to the landscape and battlefields. I was a bit worried because I had some bad moments of crosstalk in a few scenes with my theatrical viewings and witness nothing whatsoever with the disc *phew* Overall this is probably DC's best film in the new universe they are creating and hopefully this is a trend upwards for them.
I thoroughly enjoyed WW and am glad it turned out so well. The 3D presentation was solid if unspectacular. Decent depth but certainly not pushing the envelope as they say. Still glad I opted for the 3D version oevr the 4K version for now anyways. The PQ was still very detailed and lush. No problems with dark scenes or whatever. My OLED 3D performance as always was basically perfect. Yawn.

Its a great film and a perfect start for what will hopefully be a franchise as good as the Nolan Batman films although those are hard to match up to!

LG OLED65E6P, Samsung PN64H5000
Samsung UBD-8500K, LG BD 570
Polk RTi Towers, STi surrounds
Polk Subwoofer
Sony DH550 AVR
post #609 of 612 Old 10-10-2017, 01:40 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 476 Post(s)
Liked: 161
Wonder Woman was great on my 160" screen! I was amazed at the period sets. They really made the movie--had the feel of a historical event seen in real time. The 3D had lots of depth for me, and obvious it was intended for 3D based on the popouts and slow-mo action scenes. The storyline was as usual--leave your science and beliefs at the door, and then enjoy it for what it is. But, I'd say better than most Marvel pics. I see why it did so well worldwide. Gal Gadot has lots of heart and that plays well with Chris Pine's character.
post #610 of 612 Old 10-13-2017, 12:54 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 866 Post(s)
Liked: 306
Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2.

Wow! This was about the best 3D experience in along time. Lot's of pop out 3D use and it worked well. I like when they open the frame to 1.85 which is better for 3D, just wish the whole movie was done in taller AR and not just select parts.

This line intentionally left blank.
post #611 of 612 Old 10-21-2017, 07:04 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 476 Post(s)
Liked: 161
Transformers: The Last Knight

I watched the bluray 3D last night. It was done in native Imax 3D showing two constantly changing formats on a 16:9 screen. Appeared to be 2.39:1 to 1.90:1 to show more of the action. That said, the 3D was pristine and 4K like, with a few pop outs--more, I wanted more!

I had very mixed feelings about this movie. First, it was 155 minutes long and overly complex. Not a movie plot that a young person could grasp easily--and I had problems keeping up with it most of the time--and I'm old . The transformers are overly complex and most did not transform, only a few--and as usual, where did all that metal go when transforming?? I won't discuss much more or the plot as that would be a spoiler. Action, action and more action. I've done CGI back in the day and managed a team that did it for commercial purposes many years ago and can't imagine what it took to do some the scenes, they are technically perfect with detail that had to take weeks and months to figure out. That said, there is way too much of it. At times the action gets lost in the story, or the story gets lost in the action. This movie probably represents the ultimate in where CGI is. If so, then I think the first next Avatar releases are going to disappoint as some were done years ago, but not released, and the CGI has far surpassed what could be done just a few years ago. But, maybe that's why Cameron hasn't released them as he constantly tries to keep up with new CGI tech. Sorry, I digress . The audio is good without being overwhelming. Some will say it's not loud or heavy enough bass, or not--I don't turn up the volume as I used to, so not sure.

My overall impression left with, is that it's a kid's movie run amuck with overly complex CGI action for adults to enjoy. The acting is okay, but the closeups of the actors are sometimes too close and leave out the action. It made me feel like the closeups were spliced in rather than part of the action--which they obviously were, but the editor did not do a good job of phasing in and out. As for characterization, kids are going to love the new "star wars" little robot character and the C3PO ripoff, and they add more to the movie than the humans do. Anthony Hopkins steals the show with his acting as usual. I hate movies that I have to watch more than once to understand, but this is one of them. It left me in awe (the CGI tech ), confused(storyline), and over-stimulated with too much eye candy (all the complex action--just way to much for one movie).

I can understand why it got confusing ratings at the box office. There is a trailer at the end that premises more movies to come. I think the franchise has milked this way beyond what is possible, though...
post #612 of 612 Old 10-21-2017, 11:55 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 37
SPIDER-MAN: HOMECOMING 3D 4/5
3D: 4.25/5
AQ: 5/5*

This is my first viewing since opening night in theatres and have pretty much the same impression as the first viewing. Strong performances from our main leads and with agreat supporting side characters to boot that seem like they belong in the high school environment. The middle drags a little but the third act is, well, amazing to spectacular. I found the video overall good but the 3D I still wish they could push a little more than just the depth which at times works really well for the film. As upset as I am not to see the 4K *Atmos track included with the 3D presentation, the DTS-HDMA track still delivers (with Neural:X applied as well) Clear and strong vocals from the centre and some wonderful sound separation throuout with s9me very impressive bass action too. Hope to finally get my JVC setup with the proper gamma curves and BT2020 profile loaded for a UHD comparison real soon (being a pain in the ass to update) Oh well, at least we have Spidey in the Marvel universe

My DVD Collection
HOME THEATER:
JVC X950RB Projector, 106", Samsung 51" 3D Plasma, Marantz sr7010 in 5.2.4 Atmos/DTS:X
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply 3D Content

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page