What Have You "Watched" Lately? - Page 3 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 97Likes

post #61 of 612 Old 09-07-2014, 02:26 PM

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7012 Post(s)
Liked: 3557
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreHD View Post
Texas Chainsaw may not be everyones cup of tea, but there's a couple of really good pop out scenes where Leatherface sticks the chainsaw blade right out the screen .
Did it cut through your screen? ...How long is your warranty for your TV?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 612 Old 09-11-2014, 01:17 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Just went and saw 'into the storm', carnt believe the buggers didn't make it 3d (so i believe) , if there was ever a movie screaming to be in 3d it's this one
post #63 of 612 Old 09-11-2014, 01:31 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthSky View Post
Which part you like best; the first part, or the second one (disc 2)?
delayed response 'stupid broken laptop'

The second disk was ok with the doco's, the menu layout was stunning well worth the $12 that I paid for the disks :-)

post #64 of 612 Old 09-11-2014, 05:49 PM

Arrow 'Titanic' 3D

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigtev View Post
delayed response 'stupid broken laptop'

The second disk was ok with the doco's, the menu layout was stunning well worth the $12 that I paid for the disks :-)
On the second disc, @ the end I cried, when Jack went to the ocean's bottom floor.
...With Rose above and afloat and freezing to death, ...till her desperate rescue, whistling.
- I liked the engine's rooms.

* I don't remember the menu's layout, and neither how much I paid for it.
...And the documentary; it went into obscured memory, like the ship sinking into the deep black and cold darkness of the ocean.

Last edited by NorthSky; 09-11-2014 at 05:55 PM. Reason: Whistle
post #65 of 612 Old 09-13-2014, 01:47 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Pacific rim, edge of tomorrow and frozen. All great 3d
post #66 of 612 Old 09-13-2014, 05:12 PM

Revisited ::

* Only/strictly for Emily Browning. ...The rest is a total mess.
post #67 of 612 Old 09-15-2014, 07:50 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Did it cut through your screen? ...How long is your warranty for your TV?
i was actually very surprised with how much i enjoyed Texas Chainsaw 3d. I certainly would not recommend it to non-horror fans, but the 3d quality was good, it was a well photographed movie, and for its genre it was entertaining.
post #68 of 612 Old 09-15-2014, 10:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oleus View Post
i was actually very surprised with how much i enjoyed Texas Chainsaw 3D. I certainly would not recommend it to non-horror fans, but the 3d quality was good, it was a well photographed movie, and for its genre it was entertaining.
I just might getting it then, thx. ...Just for fun of course.

Last edited by NorthSky; 09-15-2014 at 10:51 PM.
post #69 of 612 Old 09-15-2014, 10:56 PM

Last night I watched this :::

* I would have to revisit it again, but next time in 2D. ...Because in 3D I wasn't @ all that impressed.
mcdoc29 likes this.
post #70 of 612 Old 09-16-2014, 08:20 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Liked: 16
Quote:
Last night I watched this :::

* I would have to revisit it again, but next time in 2D. ...Because in 3D I wasn't @ all that impressed.
same here. it's probably the first time i actively thought "I can't wait to watch this in 2d" while viewing a 3d title.
post #71 of 612 Old 09-16-2014, 12:16 PM

Too many 3D films are simply a waste by studios who just want to cash more money. ...3D movies sell.

If you want to do 3D properly do it for the type of flicks that are constructed with 3D cameras' perspective in mind. ...Fast moving action scenes aren't it, IMO.

3D is very cool, it's a true cinema artform. Some animated flicks look great, but not all moving pictures are created equal. ...Real-life cinematography and CGI effects and all that jazz...

North America is so much infatuated with all the atmospheric particles floating above our heads that hero comic books on our screens are a diversion to escape the inevitable turmoil transposing ahead. ...It is simply a way of speech, with a semi-touch of realism mixed with fiction. ...It is Hollywood. ...It is Captain America. ...And you all know what that means...3D or not.
post #72 of 612 Old 09-16-2014, 12:51 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 866 Post(s)
Liked: 306

Finished up watching The Penguin King. Started this one months ago, but never got back to it. This is the final one from David Attenborough that I've purchased. So far I think there's 6 titles from him and Sky 3D which include: Flying Monsters, Micro Monsters, Kingdom of Plants, Galapagos, Natural History Museum and Penguin King.

They've all been pretty good 3D titles and I'm looking forward to more from Attenborough and his 3D productions. I will say on Penguin King I was a little disappointed with the 3D on this one. It was very, very slight. I didn't notice a lot of depth throughout the entire run of it nor any popout.

Also, the production didn't entertain as well as the other titles. The story follows a penguin through their breeding cycle as well as some of the other animals that they interact with. But overall, not as interesting as the other productions, in my opinion.

The HD quality is quite good and there's a good deal of shots throughout including underwater shots. I don't remember any arial shots since they arrived at South Georgia via a sail boat. Still their shot selections where very good. I just don't consider it as good as the similar Galapagos feature which was also a difficult on location shoot. Another reason I didn't feel it was as entertaining is Attenborough isn't present on this production, he merely provides narration.

The musical score is quite nice and is blended well with the 5.1 mix.

Biggest disappointment would be the 3D is slight, which I'm really surprised with the camera rig they're using and overall somewhere around 1M in equipment. I noticed they did shoot a lot of long lens stuff which will negate some of the depth, but I noticed even on some close shots the depth was still very shallow.

There is a making of documentary which runs for almost 40 minutes. It's nearly as enjoyable as the main feature and details the voyage, crew, equipment and some of the extreme on-location challenges. The making of is just in 2D and the main feature is playable in 2D and 3D.

Since this comes from UK (I ordered mine from Amazon.co.uk) I suspect the 2D content is output at 25p, so if you've had trouble playing that before, this won't be any different. The disc is region free and will play fine. My player/avr/display had no trouble playing the 25p content.

I need to do a review of Natural History Museum still, I viewed that one awhile ago too, I'll see if I can get something up on that one after I view it again. The 3D was better on that one, if I remember right.
old corps likes this.

This line intentionally left blank.
post #73 of 612 Old 09-22-2014, 09:15 PM

The last couple 3D BD flicks that I watched (not too long ago) :::

---------------------

♦ 'Godzilla' => Abominability.

♦ 'The Art of Flight' => Awesomeness.
post #74 of 612 Old 09-24-2014, 06:16 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 305 Post(s)
Liked: 154
What version of Art of Flight 3d did you get? Italian, German, Australian? And did your version have a 7.1 or 5.1 track?

Thanks
post #75 of 612 Old 09-24-2014, 12:43 PM

French, from France.

Languages:

* English: Dolby TrueHD 5.1
* French: Dolby Digital 5.1
post #76 of 612 Old 09-24-2014, 05:53 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 305 Post(s)
Liked: 154
OK, it's interesting how the different versions also have differences in the soundtracks... some versions have the original 7.1 soundtrack, while others only 5.1 I love the 2d blu ray as it is, but I am definitely on the lookout for a good price on the 3d version myself.....
post #77 of 612 Old 09-24-2014, 06:43 PM

It is an awesome documentary/living-on-the-edge experience. The picture quality and music score are pure awesomeness. ...Virgin white steep peaks of powder snow.

If you like snowboarding, wildlife, nature, mountains, snow, beautiful/majestic locales, helicopters flying, amazing daredevil risks, artistic body movements, talent, true art mastering/maitrise, people, travelling, best cameramen, excellent music score, ... this is it.

And in 3D it is even better. And in Dolby TrueHD 5.1 with Dolby Pro Logic IIx Movie mode superimposed it is plenty enveloping, ...till Dolby Atmos.

♦ The world is ours, we just have to grab it, grab what we like most from it. ♦
post #78 of 612 Old 09-24-2014, 06:47 PM

If you like modern dance get 'Pina' in 3D, from the Criterion Collection, on Blu of course.

Last edited by NorthSky; 09-24-2014 at 06:55 PM. Reason: Image
post #79 of 612 Old 09-25-2014, 02:09 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 355 Post(s)
Liked: 106
Transformers :Age of Extinction, now if only I had the Atmos hardware to give the Atmos Soundtrack a test drive.

HTC One (m8)
post #80 of 612 Old 09-25-2014, 07:47 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

And in 3D it is even better. And in Dolby TrueHD 5.1 with Dolby Pro Logic IIx Movie mode superimposed it is plenty enveloping, ...till Dolby Atmos.
And I always thought PLIIx was for expanding 2ch sources. Didn't think TrueHD/DTS HD MA needed any improvement.

post #81 of 612 Old 09-25-2014, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomtastic View Post
And I always thought PLIIx was for expanding 2ch sources. Didn't think TrueHD/DTS HD MA needed any improvement.
Dolby PLIIx is great for expanding Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD MA 5.1 audio soundtracks into 7.1
{"x" as extra back surround channels}

You did not know that, really?

* It not only works with two-channel stereo, but also with three, four, and five point one channel sources.
Try it, you'll see (hear).

<<>> We can always improve what they're giving us, for the better.
...And now with Dolby Surround (up-mixer). ...Because the Dolby PLII family is becoming a distant blip in our radar. ...Not there anymore in new receivers and SSPs.

♦ I bet that the majority of people with them packed/featured receivers have never explored all the audio/video possibilities of their toys. ...And not even half of them, if.

Last edited by NorthSky; 09-25-2014 at 12:33 PM. Reason: "x"
post #82 of 612 Old 09-25-2014, 09:10 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Well, maybe it's just my receiver then since it doesn't enable PLIIx with 5.1, only 2ch. I get sound from all 4 but I suspect it's just from the side surrounds being split. I typically enable thx cinema with 5.1.

post #83 of 612 Old 09-25-2014, 09:39 PM

That would be extremely strange, because my Integra DHC-80.3 SSP allows me to do almost anything.
...The listening audio modes for both music and movies are limitless, quasi.
...Except for Dolby Atmos, Dolby Surround (up-mixer), and Auro-3D with Auromatic (up-mixer).
...DTS-UHD ain't here just yet. ...Same for dts 3D (up-mixer).

What is the receiver you are using Tom? ...And how many speakers do you have connected right now?
post #84 of 612 Old 09-26-2014, 05:51 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

8 Speakers, Pioneer VSX 53. It has PLIIx/IIz, I don't have the height speakers so not using that, but there's no way to enable IIx over 5.1. I do get sound from all rear surrounds, but not in PL IIx mode.

post #85 of 612 Old 09-26-2014, 10:38 AM

Liked: 25
Just finished watching Maleficent 3D. Had not seen it and didn't know exactly what to expect. I enjoyed the story but it's another one with conservative use of 3D. Pretty dark image but director's intent I guess. All in all worth the import.
post #86 of 612 Old 09-26-2014, 04:51 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Been lurking the 3D forums lately. I see a lot of stuff I want as I plan on buying a sammy 75 inch 7150.

I must say however, sure is getting old all the people on AVS, esp in the display forums slamming 3d. They repeat the same thing over and over "3D is dead", "You don't need it", or my fav "I have it, just don't use it"

Every time myself and my family watch 3D we love it, so count me in the camp that loves it.

I'd love to get my hands on a Blu Monster's Ball.-LilStinky

Refering to a possible release of said movie on BD LOL
post #87 of 612 Old 09-26-2014, 07:38 PM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by Urza View Post
I must say however, sure is getting old all the people on AVS, esp in the display forums slamming 3d. They repeat the same thing over and over "3D is dead", "You don't need it", or my fav "I have it, just don't use it"
There are too many movies where the 3D is either sub-par or barely makes an impact. If the first movies I saw on my 3D set were Maleficent, Cars 2 and Captain America: Winter Soldier, I might have slipped into the "You don't need it" camp myself. Fortunately I got a load of movies like Monsters vs Aliens and Resident Evil: Afterlife that I can't imagine watching without the 3rd dimension. Conservative use of 3D is doing more harm to it's public perception that anything else.
post #88 of 612 Old 09-26-2014, 08:18 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

I just caught myself looking at a new 4k passive LG, oh what will I do with the display I have now that I just bought 2 years ago?

Yes, I've noticed many on here, thankfully not so much in the 3D section —we're pretty much all 3D Fans here, diss on 3D, like it's a feature like a curved screen or something. It's more than a feature. 3D is art really, it's realism and truism. 3D is about the closest thing out there to what we actually see, it really is amazing that so many are not watching it.

AVS is full of so called experts and knowledgable people, yet they don't see 3D as a benefit? Seems contradictory to me. I really can see a time when 3D is the only option for viewing, then if you can't view both, you just view with whichever eye you can. 3D has evolved so much over the past 100 something years, it keeps getting resurrected after a technological hurdle is jumped, then it rests for awhile until the next revolution.

It seems to be resting again? There's still content being delivered so not completely resting.

Conservative 3D is a problem. After watching Pompeii, I'm just at a loss as to why? There's so much more potential. Why not have a little popout here and there if it's that type of film? Why not give true depth perspective instead of making it resemble a converted 3D job.

post #89 of 612 Old 09-26-2014, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomtastic View Post
8 Speakers, Pioneer VSX 53. It has PLIIx/IIz, I don't have the height speakers so not using that, but there's no way to enable IIx over 5.1. I do get sound from all rear surrounds, but not in PL IIx mode.
Eight speakers; 7.1-channel with the sub, ok.

If your Pioneer receiver cannot superimpose Dolby Pro Logic IIx over Dolby TrueHD 5.1 and over DTS-HD MA 5.1 then there is something amiss. I don't know exactly what it is but it sure is strange because I don't have that limitation with my Integra SSP, and didn't have that limitation either with my ex-Onkyo receivers (three of them - top guns) and an ex-Yamaha flagship receiver (RX-Z11).

To me it don't ring right. ...I don't think we are talking about the same book's page here, you and I, Tom.
Which listening mode do you get sound from all your four surrounds when listening to a 5.1-channel audio soundtrack?

________

<<>> And 3D is magnificent with some flicks (Up, Avatar, Gravity, Tron Legacy, ...), and with others it is lacking (Green Lantern, Captain America 2, ...).

Some people love 3D (me included) and others hate 3D. ...That's life; there is no black and white, but only multi-diversified colors of various preferences and personal taste according to each person's own vision from his/her own set of eyes, with display that they have/had experience with, calibrated or not, and all that jazz.

Plus! Some people simply hate 3D glasses, active or/and passive, no matter what.
And other people don't mind @ all (me included).

Life is life; there are people of all colors living on our planet, Earth. Some eat meat others don't, tra-la-la there are so many songs we all can sing, or not.

So many movies so little time. ...In 2D and in 3D.

Last edited by NorthSky; 09-26-2014 at 08:45 PM.
post #90 of 612 Old 09-26-2014, 10:15 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Just put on To the Arctic again and watched about half of it. This was shot for IMAX 3D. I remember the 3D felt slight on this one and it was just the same as I remember it the first time. Even up close shots seemed 2D. The opening credits are the best part which are animated titles that popout a little. HD quality is pretty good throughout.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply 3D Content

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page