What Have You "Watched" Lately? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 12Likes

Old 06-08-2014, 09:30 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Let's talk about that 3D title you've watched lately!

Recently I've been going back through my 3D collection and re-watching titles, or re-re-watching, I'm not sure where I'm at on all of them.

I just watched Titanic again for the 2nd time in 3D. I imagine some are not going to care for this title because of the 1.78 conversion but I found it wasn't that distracting. The 3D doesn't impress the way a native title would but I have to give them credit. Even though it's a conversion, I am impressed by the overall look to it, especially in the close up character scenes. There is a comfortable amount of depth added between people and the colors and detail really come alive. Before I bought the 3D/2D release I had only seen in theater when released which was nice and a DVD copy, so this is a nice one to have. A few other scenes are nice, when Cal Hockley shoots down the stairs and water shoots up is pretty cool. I know 2D to 3D conversions are hit and miss, but this one is a pretty nice attempt.

So, let's hear it. What have you been watching in 3D?
mcdoc29 likes this.

This line intentionally left blank.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-08-2014, 10:19 AM
Toe
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 284 Post(s)
Liked: 566
Watched a few this weekend.

I, Frankenstein had pretty strong depth 3d throughout and even some good pop out moments at times. Solid 3d title and has the nice bonus of being able to rent through Netflix/Redbox.cool.gif

Turbo had excellent 3d throughout with strong depth and even a few pop out moments at times. Animated 3d titles are generally stronger for pure 3d effect and Dreamworks is still the studio to beat as far as the third dimension goes.

Also watched the first two episodes of Micro Monsters in 3d and was slightly underwhelmed. Maybe I have just read to much hype, but the 3d while good has not exactly blown me away. Lots more to go though, so maybe it gets better. Fascinating series so far!

JVC 3D: Been there, done that, bought a DLP
Old 06-08-2014, 12:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked: 65
I saw Edge of Tomorrow in Imax 3D today; as someone who like a more aggressive 3D presentation, this one left me satisfied as it had a good, noticeable sense of depth and lots of "gimmicky" pop-outs which I enjoy. The more in your face 3D really serves to pull you into a major battle which takes up a good chunk of the film. The final act takes place mostly at night and in dark areas, flattening out the image somewhat but even here the 3D remains pretty effective.

As to the movie itself, I found it a pretty clever mix of established genres (largely Groundhog Day meets Aliens); the story plays out somewhat like a video game: try, fail, reset, try again and so on. The production values are top notch and there is a good mix of action, drama and humor. I was entertained and it held my attention.

It had a pretty disappointing debut in the USA (just under $30 million, good only for third this weekend) but seems to be doing good business overseas. I'll definitely add it ti my BluRay 3D collection when it is released.
Old 06-08-2014, 08:57 PM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyDP View Post

I saw Edge

Keep hearing good things about this one (movie + 3D). Wish I actually had time to go see it...
Old 06-08-2014, 10:28 PM - Thread Starter

Re watched IMAX Hubble, 3rd viewing now, IMAX Space Station, 2nd viewing and Grand Canyon River At Risk 3rd viewing. All of these were shot on IMAX 70mm, they all appear to be using parallel lens setup, not beam splitter. Lots of ghosting on Hubble and Space Station. A few scenes in Grand Canyon had black corners in the bottom of screen when shooting in ultra wide, now I don't feel so bad as I am getting that now and again myself.

Old 06-09-2014, 09:51 AM
Toe
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 284 Post(s)
Liked: 566
My JVC projectors had ghosting issues with Space Station, but of course none with my DLP.

JVC 3D: Been there, done that, bought a DLP
Old 06-09-2014, 12:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 14
i've been off my feet with a back injury so i've been able to watch quite a few 3d titles lately.

HUGO - 3d was great as I had heard it was. Really good sense of depth with compositions that really showed off the 3d format.

GI Joe Retaliation -- Heard this was good stupid fun with good 3d, I found it to be terrible even for a popcorn movie, and the 3d looked like a bad conversion with very few impressive shots.

Transformers Dark of the Moon. This was the biggest disappointment for me. I remember reading good things about the 3d and this looked terrible IMHO. It gets really dim looking in the second half, also. There are many, many better conversions that this one and I was shocked to learn some of this was filmed natively.

Hobbit Desolation of Smaug - Pretty good depth and some really good 3d scenes. Not in-your-face 3d, mostly subtle depth effects but overall very immersive and well done.

Wolverine - started off as a decent looking conversion, but it's almost like they gave up early on; after the first few scenes, it looks like a very lackluster conversion.

Cirque Du Soleil World Away - Really impressive 3d. Looks totally natively shot to me.

Men in Black 3 - I thought this was impressive for a conversion, and surprisingly funny (I wasn't a fan of the first two movies).
Old 06-10-2014, 03:25 PM - Thread Starter

I picked up IMAX Born to Be Wild and IMAX To the Arctic, both were on sale at Best Buy. Both were decent, maybe Arctic a little better. Arctic had some nice 3D animated sequence at beginning, but the overall 3D wasn't that great due to shooting mostly distance shots and wide shots. Not really much depth to it, but it was still a nice feature. Wild looked a little better for depth but not as great content.

Old 06-16-2014, 02:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 56
I myself can't believe I hadn't gotten this title sooner, but Madagascar 3 Europe's Most Wanted, I thought was fantastic! Just loads of 3D demo content.... very clean, no ghosting with a great combination of depth and proper use of pop out effects..Not to mention a nice bright picture and vibrant colors... Highly recommended!
Old 06-17-2014, 01:00 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 19
I only own a few. Avatar was the last before that Titanic.
I do watch for deals as I did buy Promethius 3D, just have not watched it yet but
it will be next.
I might like the Madagascar 3 so I will keep a eye out for it.

I see Madagascar and can't help but laugh, my grand kids could not say the name.
so they called it mana-nascar.
Old 08-27-2014, 04:15 PM - Thread Starter

Haven't seen much 3D lately. Just moved about 200 miles so finally getting everything back up and running. Picked up Legend of Hurcules yesterday and gave it a spin. I must say this is a really nice 3D release. 3D really does this movie justice, with depth, pop out and action scenes. I had a hunch this one was real 3D just by the quality so looked it up and it was, the rival movie with Dwanye Johnson version is apparently fake 3D.

One other note, at my old place my screen was placed higher above fireplace and now it's lower and more centered viewing. This makes a big improvement on 3D viewing so I'm looking forward to rewatching some more 3D titles. I'll never mount a screen again, not unless there's no other way to get the screen where you want it.

Old 08-27-2014, 04:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Location: Canada - West Island: Vancouver, South Direction: Go East
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 2230 Post(s)
Liked: 655
Last one I watched (revisited) in 3D (three days ago) was this one :::

I luv it! ...In 3D even more.

By the way, 'Ratatouille' is coming up in 3D, this December. ...Here, in this continent, North America.
{Came up last month in France and UK.}

* I'll be back.

Last edited by NorthSky; 08-27-2014 at 04:31 PM.
Old 08-27-2014, 06:51 PM - Thread Starter

That's good to know. I was beginning to think Disney was abandoning 3D Blu ray here in North America. Getting ready to watch Pompeii tonight.

Old 08-27-2014, 06:58 PM
AVS Special Member

But it is still unofficial. ...After all this is still Disney.

* I've read great things about 'Pompeii' in 3D. ...Enjoy it. And report back your impressions, right here.
Old 08-27-2014, 11:54 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 345 Post(s)
Liked: 170
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthSky View Post
But it is still unofficial. ...After all this is still Disney.

* I've read great things about 'Pompeii' in 3D. ...Enjoy it. And report back your impressions, right here.
Everybody loves a good conspiracy theory.

Last edited by Don Landis; 08-28-2014 at 12:41 AM.
Old 08-28-2014, 12:04 AM
AVS Club Gold

What Have You "Watched" Lately?

New for me this week: NOAH 3D. Watched it twice this week.

Oldest movie in my library watched this week: A Turtle's Tale 3D and Valley of Fire 3D
Old 08-28-2014, 12:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Landis View Post
Everybody loves a good conspiracy theory.
Which one; Disney, Ratatouille 3D, or Pompeii?
Old 08-28-2014, 01:20 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthSky View Post
Which one; Disney, Ratatouille 3D, or Pompeii?
Haven't heard the conspiracy theories on Ratatouille 3D, or Pompeii.

But there are several about Disney, none based on any facts.
1. Disney hates 3D.
2. Disney doesn't want home viewers to see 3D
3. Disney doesn't want 3D in the United States.
4. Disney believes 3D is only popular in China and the UK.

At one of the stock holder's meetings over a year ago Bob Iger, answered a question on revenue strategy. He said they believe there is an added revenue benefit to using a "strategic roll out" of themes that is initiated by their movies in the Box office. The final stage of this long range plan is the building of attractions at the theme parks. Disney knows the consumer and that they can often sell the same product multiple times to them. The way I interpret this is: you are a fan of something like the Cars theme. You see the movie in the theater, then buy the 2D version, then buy the 3D version, maybe an XBOX 360 game, and finally go to Disneyland and visit the attraction. Then the process starts all over again, not only with Cars 2, but with Planes.

Understand the FUD and Marketing strategy:
The problem people have on this forum is they don't like it that they have to wait for the 3D to be released long after the 2D. So, they develop FUD about the company. They get angry and make silly claims they will refuse to spend another dime at Disney. Then all is forgiven when Disney comes out with the delayed release. Part of these roll outs are releasing bundles, including bundles with the toys. Timing expensive digital downloads and rentals only. Plus, the timing of each part is not always the same so it confuses the consumer. This confusion raises the FUD banter but also triggers panic buying, for fear the 3D or other version will never be released. Disney views the revenue generated by theme, not just an isolated item in the theme line. In otherwords, if the production included 3D from the start, it will likely get a 3D BluRay release later. But if the theme is a box office flop, maybe not. Each product item release is a test on the next product release in the theme. If the 3D fails in first rollout, it will not be pursued in another. e.g., if the 3D release fails in UK or China, they will not likely do a US roll out at all. There are no one set of rules, just a strategy.
Barry C likes this.
Old 08-28-2014, 01:46 AM - Thread Starter

And then they lock it away in their "vault".
Apostate likes this.

Old 08-28-2014, 02:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Don, look @ what Disney did here in North America (USA & Canada) with them 3D Blu-ray titles:

1. Oz the Great and Powerful
2. Frozen
3. Need for Speed
4. Ratatouille
5. Maleficent

* It is extremely annoying and irritating for the North American consumers and big fans of Disney.
Whoever is making those final/financial decisions is an agitator and a provoker. ...I don't care @ all for that team behind those type of decisions; if it is mainly for money Walter would have some to say too, and if he was allowed to raise from the dead he'll be spanking some hard axes here.

Anyway, just the facts sir, just the facts, and Disney is way over its head. ...They are beautiful creators, charging way over, and taking profit of our young children. If you think straight and forward about it; Disney is banking on all our children, and all the world children when in some (many) places they don't even know what love is.

http://www.hometheaterforum.com/topi...or-maleficent/

<<>> It's a shame, a grand shame, and Disney is to blame for its greed, and for its abuse of power over our generations of children.
If Walt was still alive he would be ashamed as well.

Disney has become a big Mickey Mouse caricature that underneath the surface is made of cardboard and no heart.

And that, is my own
Apostate likes this.
Old 08-28-2014, 02:38 AM
AVS Club Gold

I have the first three. ( in 3D) But then I don't limit my choices and blame others for my decision.

#4 I rented in 2D and could not understand the fascination with the story back then. Was not one of my favorite stories. Not sure if I will rent this or not when it is out in 3D.

# 5 I will probably buy since I like A. Jolie as an actress. Not sure about the story. Haven't seen it yet. Given a choice, I would buy Tomb Raider if that make a 3D conversion.

1. Oz the Great and Powerful
2. Frozen
3. Need for Speed
4. Ratatouille
5. Maleficent
I won't claim to be able to talk to the dead and tell others what he would be saying today.I have seen the documentary on Walts life and his final thoughts on where Disney was going and he was definitly interested in building an empire and quite proud of the complex in Florida. I believe his vision continues as long as the products are good for the kids. I doubt he would be ashamed of any of the recent Disney productions and new characters.

If it makes you happy, please refuse to spend any money on anything Disney. Please stay out of the theme Parks and please stop watching Disney movies. But don't get too worked up and boil your blood if the world laughs at you. We're all having fun! You're welcome to join us. Or, continue to hate the people who make what you desire.
What does a poster on Hometheater forum have to do with the topic? Just more FUD, without factual basis.
Old 08-28-2014, 11:49 PM - Thread Starter

Finished up watching Pompeii. The 3D seemed slight to me, not really impressive. It got better at the end, last 30 minutes. Are we sure this one was native 3D? I know it's reported as native, just seemed more like a conversion. Decent and typical disaster movie, gladiator meets titanic.

But as for the 3D impact I think Legend of Hercules is way better. I did the glasses off test a few times during each movie, more overlap between the frames on Hercules. Better depth and popout throughout, it's just clearly a more extreme use of 3D in that film. Right now, I'd recommend that movie if you haven't seen it and want something with good 3D. Might not be your choice of a movie though.

As for Pompeii, 3D was average, but decently used, no great popout scenes and depth seemed shallow pretty much through the whole movie. Oh, well. I'll probably see it again soon and give it another chance but it's still an enjoyable movie for what it is.

Old 08-29-2014, 12:44 AM
AVS Special Member

I like 'Dredd' in 3D. ...And Eva Green from '300 - Rise of an Empire' in 3D.

'Dredd' has some very cool and colorful slow-mo 3D effects. /// Make sure to give it a lens or two, and even a re-watch.

____________\\\

Don, I love 3D Blu-ray flicks and documentaries. ...So much so that I take the time to rest my eyes between two 3D flicks.
And I love to be a critic of them all and even of the ones that are hard to get, like some from Disney for example.
I say what I feel, and I feel what I say. ...And always with love and control and wisdom. ...In the true spirit of humanity.

Don, did you see 'Pina' in 3D from the Criterion Collection?

____________ ///

Tom, 'Pompeii' in 3D wasn't too bad, but the film sure sucks.

'The Legend of Hercules' in 3D; I much much prefer 'Pacific Rim' in 3D.

Last edited by NorthSky; 09-03-2014 at 03:04 PM. Reason: Typo (not 'Judge Dredd', but only 'Dredd')
Old 08-29-2014, 06:30 AM - Thread Starter

I need to watch Dredd again. I rented the 2D of Pacific Rim, I guess I didn't see the point of that one. Pretty much the worst movie of my life, I doubt 3D would help.

I, Frankenstien is up next for Sat.

Old 08-29-2014, 06:40 AM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by deano86 View Post
I myself can't believe I hadn't gotten this title sooner, but Madagascar 3 Europe's Most Wanted, I thought was fantastic! Just loads of 3D demo content.... very clean, no ghosting with a great combination of depth and proper use of pop out effects..Not to mention a nice bright picture and vibrant colors... Highly recommended!
What he said.
Old 08-29-2014, 06:48 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Don, did you see 'Pina' in 3D from the Criterion Collection?
No
Old 08-29-2014, 07:49 AM

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomtastic View Post
I need to watch Dredd again. I rented the 2D of Pacific Rim, I guess I didn't see the point of that one. Pretty much the worst movie of my life, I doubt 3D would help.

I, Frankenstien is up next for Sat.

Yeah, Pacific Rim requires a lot of "oh, please, that's not remotely possible." But it was a surprising good time in 3D by all that watched at my house. As for I, Frankenstein, I couldn't get past the first 1/2 hour of it--way too mythical versus the original book. 3D was okay, though.
Old 08-29-2014, 09:22 PM - Thread Starter

Well, I fell asleep through I, Frankenstein. Felt like watching Blade and Abraham Lincoln Vampire Slayer in one. The 3D was flat. Research shows it was converted. It looked like the characters were flat and then layered against the background, like card board cutouts. I suppose it was better than 2D, but just had that unnatural layered look.

Old 08-29-2014, 10:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Thumbs up 'Pina' 3D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Landis View Post
No
You should, it's 3D good.

Last edited by NorthSky; 08-29-2014 at 10:19 PM.
Old 08-29-2014, 10:23 PM
AVS Special Member

I might watch this later on tonight, all depends :::

♦♦♦ 3D (of course), and DTS-HD MA 7.1 surround sound audio soundtrack.