Should Studios Do 2D to 3D Conversions, Or Are On-Board 2D to 3D Converters Sufficient? - Page 2 - AVS Forum
View Poll Results: Should Studios Do 2D to 3D Conversions?
Yes, bring us more converted titles please! 23 76.67%
No, my built In 2D to 3D converter works great! 3 10.00%
Not sure, release it and I'll decide later. 4 13.33%
Voters: 30. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 157 Old 07-03-2014, 02:05 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deja Vu View Post
I will say this -- from a natural 3D perspective the 3D produced by the Teranex is more realistic than any 3D in any 3D movie I've seen to date -- in other words it is closer to the day-to-day 3D world I see in real life.
DV, this is an astonishing statement, but I know of your love of 3D and dedication to finding the best 3D converter out there, so I'm buying it. Too bad I've just finished shelling out the cost of a Teranex on automobile and home air conditioner repair. The mundane far too often triumphs over the exotic.

Have you tried the conversion on DVD-quality material? If so, other than the obvious resolution hit, does the converter still do a decent job?

From your previous posts, I know that the Teranex supports firmware updates. I wonder if Black Magic has a policy of providing future updates if their conversion algorithm is further refined over time. One reason why I have stayed with PowerDVD (and hesitated somewhat with the 3D Mitsubishi projectors) is its ability to incorporate future improvements via software upgrades. I'm disappointed that there is apparently not much interest on the part of Cyberlink (or other software providers) to improve their current conversion algorithms. I guess there's just not enough competition, nor enough interest in 2D-to-3D conversion in general, to motivate them to continue pushing the envelope. It's the "good enough" mentality at work, which is a shame.

Last edited by fxrh; 07-03-2014 at 02:09 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 157 Old 07-03-2014, 02:42 AM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 28
I also wonder if Black Magic would ever consider putting their 2D-to-3D conversion hardware only into a smaller device with a lower price tag like the 3D-Bee or the KanexPro CubeUp. Firmware updates supported. Designer colors. Doubles as a phone. Home security system downloadable app. Hey, I can dream, can't I?

Last edited by fxrh; 07-03-2014 at 02:54 AM.
post #33 of 157 Old 07-03-2014, 03:36 AM

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by fxrh View Post
I also wonder if Black Magic would ever consider putting their 2D-to-3D conversion hardware only into a smaller device with a lower price tag like the 3D-Bee or the KanexPro CubeUp. Firmware updates supported. Designer colors. Doubles as a phone. Home security system downloadable app. Hey, I can dream, can't I?
I agree with you. It would be very good to have a simple hardware with just the 2D-to-3D conversion and a lower price, for us who don't need all the other features it has, and that increase the cost.
post #34 of 157 Old 07-03-2014, 05:36 AM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Quote:
DV, this is an astonishing statement, but I know of your love of 3D and dedication to finding the best 3D converter out there, so I'm buying it. Too bad I've just finished shelling out the cost of a Teranex on automobile and home air conditioner repair. The mundane far too often triumphs over the exotic.

Have you tried the conversion on DVD-quality material? If so, other than the obvious resolution hit, does the converter still do a decent job?

From your previous posts, I know that the Teranex supports firmware updates. I wonder if Black Magic has a policy of providing future updates if their conversion algorithm is further refined over time. One reason why I have stayed with PowerDVD (and hesitated somewhat with the 3D Mitsubishi projectors) is its ability to incorporate future improvements via software upgrades. I'm disappointed that there is apparently not much interest on the part of Cyberlink (or other software providers) to improve their current conversion algorithms. I guess there's just not enough competition, nor enough interest in 2D-to-3D conversion in general, to motivate them to continue pushing the envelope. It's the "good enough" mentality at work, which is a shame.
fxrh,

Yes, the Teranex does a great job with DVD's as well. Pretty decent 3D effect and I prefer using it for most of the DVD's I have, especially my 50's SciFi movies. The ones unfortunately that will most likely not see the light of day on Blu-ray.

In regards to firmware updates: I had just verified with BlackMagic yesterday that they're always active with entire product line when it comes to maintaining updates where appropriate.
Deja Vu likes this.
post #35 of 157 Old 07-03-2014, 06:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 104
How film makers feel about conversions...

http://www.techradar.com/us/news/wor...ted-3d-1255892
Deja Vu and kimg1453 like this.
post #36 of 157 Old 07-03-2014, 08:42 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudy1 View Post
How film makers feel about conversions...

http://www.techradar.com/us/news/wor...ted-3d-1255892
The last two paragraphs I agree with completely:

"3D is just one of the many tools at the disposal of the film maker and definitely is not necessary for all films. But there is a lot of scope to explore the possibilities of 3D to enhance storytelling in a much wider variety of film genres than we're currently seeing.

"The 3D effect should ebb and flows with the action, in front of the screen and behind the screen, just like the music ebbs and flows. No one would argue that music is not instrumental to storytelling. I would argue that properly-planned 3D can have a similar supporting role in storytelling."

Despite what Hollywood uses, in the small production world we likely won't have access to these tools and processes as they're out of our budget. But even if they were, native 3D would still be easier process for us. For Hollywood, I can see some post conversion where CGI is used. But I could also see a time when 3D is used 100 percent of the time even with CGI as computer rendering and modeling becomes more efficient and cheaper. Right now, it's more of a cost issue with labor and time and what will pass as acceptable 3D.

After reading that article, I still feel native 3D will always be more natural and authentic 3D and conversion should only be done in moderation when it's not feasible for native 3D.
post #37 of 157 Old 07-03-2014, 08:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked: 156
Quote:
Here's where I'm coming from with my statement about how natural the 3D looks when 2D is converted by the Teranex. When I see closeups of an actor's face in high definition I see more detail than I ever see when standing relatively close to someone I know during a conversation. The film is shot with proper lighting, and so on. I get to see every pock mark and every blemish -- often more than I want to see! The same applies to 3D -- when 3D is taken into account by the director then he/she often makes artistic decisions using the tools at his/her disposal. I have seen scenes in 3D movies that simply aren't possible visually in real life (well, I've never seen 3D in this way). If you have ever seen a 3D movie called Static there is an opening scene with the protagonist walking in the woods -- it is very artistic; however, I have walked in woods and never seen large trees in that particular spatial context and with that much separation and depth. Also there is a scene with a shot taken low and from the end of a table with two people sitting at the table in conversation. Again, its an artistic shot using 3D and the camera's ability to enhance the sense of depth and distance. I ran this scene in 2D through the Teranex and had it do the 3D and it looks less artistic and much more realistic. The same for the woods scene. This is the reason I believe the Teranex's conversions are often more natural than what you find in a 3D movie -- you basically see the the raw footage without the artistic enhancements. I love the "art" part, it's part of the magic of storytelling, but that's not what I see in my day-to-day life.

There are some 2D movies which simply stand out when converted to 3D in real time -- the James Bond movies featuring Daniel Craig as Bond, the last Terminator movie and particularly the last Batman movie (The Dark Night Rises). The directors of these films made artistic decisions which impact certain visuals and look very good in 2D. In 3D these visuals look stunning.

Last edited by Deja Vu; 07-03-2014 at 09:46 AM.
post #38 of 157 Old 07-03-2014, 09:01 AM

And what about 4k? Does this works with 4k? Can it convert HD or DVDs to 4K?
post #39 of 157 Old 07-03-2014, 09:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CARTmen View Post
And what about 4k? Does this works with 4k? Can it convert HD or DVDs to 4K?
No! This is a 2K (1080p) processor. If you want to future proof yourself you'll have to look elsewhere. It's likely that at some point Black Magic will update the Teranex to 4K. I'm not all that worried personally because I've seen 4K material and for my purposes 2K will suffice. That's not to say you couldn't feed a 2K (1080p) signal from the Teranex to a 4K projector and let it scale it to 4K (up convert). So you could still see all your BD movies upconverted to 4K resolution and into 3D at the same time. That option may be in my future. Waiting for one's favourite 2D movies to be released in 4K -- good luck with that.
post #40 of 157 Old 07-03-2014, 09:51 AM

Quote:
No! This is a 2K (1080p) processor. If you want to future proof yourself you'll have to look elsewhere. It's likely that at some point Black Magic will update the Teranex to 4K. I'm not all that worried personally because I've seen 4K material and for my purposes 2K will suffice. That's not to say you couldn't feed a 2K (1080p) signal from the Teranex to a 4K projector and let it scale it to 4K (up convert). So you could still see all your BD movies upconverted to 4K resolution and into 3D at the same time. That option may be in my future. Waiting for one's favourite 2D movies to be released in 4K -- good luck with that.
Thanks for the answer. Maybe in the future they make a unit that also scales the movies to 4k. As you say, some of my favorite movies will never be released in 4K, or even in 1080p, and that's why I will need also a 4k processor to scale it. If you have a big screen with a projector, and you like to seat near the screen to really enjoy the movie and the 3D, you understand that 4K helps on the resolution. But I can wait, I'm not in a rush.
post #41 of 157 Old 07-03-2014, 10:11 AM
AVS Special Member

I thought I'd add the following to my earlier post about 3D and realism. I don't find the use of negative parallex to be realistic. When used judiciously I like the effect and appreciate the impact it can have for artistic and entertainment purposes. However, it simply isn't very natural or realistic -- for example, if I were standing in one room conversing and someone in another room that opened up from the room I'm in and is 15' away from me is holding a golf club and suddenly turns in my direction -- imagine my surprise if the end of that golf club suddenly protruded into my space and appeared to swing past the end of my nose. This doesn't happen in real life because the shaft of the golf club simply isn't long enough, yet it occasionally happens in 3D movies -- some object leaves the story being told from on or behind the screen and enters our reality and space. This can be a bit jarring and viewers often laugh because it startled them and was obviously unexpected.

The 3D Im seeing with the Teranex is the 3D I'd expect to see if I were standing in a scene watching the action as a spectator.
post #42 of 157 Old 07-03-2014, 01:13 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 194 Post(s)
Liked: 136
Quote:
I thought I'd add the following to my earlier post about 3D and realism. I don't find the use of negative parallex to be realistic. When used judiciously I like the effect and appreciate the impact it can have for artistic and entertainment purposes. However, it simply isn't very natural or realistic -- for example, if I were standing in one room conversing and someone in another room that opened up from the room I'm in and is 15' away from me is holding a golf club and suddenly turns in my direction -- imagine my surprise if the end of that golf club suddenly protruded into my space and appeared to swing past the end of my nose. This doesn't happen in real life because the shaft of the golf club simply isn't long enough, yet it occasionally happens in 3D movies -- some object leaves the story being told from on or behind the screen and enters our reality and space. This can be a bit jarring and viewers often laugh because it startled them and was obviously unexpected.

The 3D Im seeing with the Teranex is the 3D I'd expect to see if I were standing in a scene watching the action as a spectator.
Here's where we will disagree. The negative parallax image placement doesn't have to ne a smack in the face. It might just be a recreation of the natural look and feel of the world we are seeing. I tried to recreate this look in some of my documentaries. In a case where I was standing looking out across a valley, but in wide angle view, the ground with plants in the lower third came right up to just in front of me, while the far off mountains were pushed well behind the screen plane.

remember, the screen plane should not be visible. The border of a screen might be beyond ones peripheral vision in a really good 3D theater. Here you can achieve a very natural look. I like the use of "popout" to create an immersion in the scene. It doesn't have to be a touch your nose object. Life of Pi made very good effective use of the full range of stereo without smacking the viewer in the nose.
CARTmen likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Don Landis
post #43 of 157 Old 07-03-2014, 03:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Don, no disagreement at all. I was simply pointing out how some scenes with negative parallax appear from my experience. I can think of several examples such as in the IMAX Space station that has a scene where the astronauts float food (fruit and things) at the camera and they leave the screen and float out to the audience and also in MvA where Susan has the alien's gun and turns forward with it and it extends way out and into the home theatre room. In the IMAX documentary everyone in my HT was reaching out to grab at something. If used judiciously negative parallax works well, like in Life of Pi. When it is not "in your face" it does help to act as a bridge between reality and the story and to some extent joins the two. However, I have yet to see it used where it is totally seamless. It always appears, to me at least, to be breaking away from one plane and entering another. I haven't seen any of your work so I cannot comment; however, from your explanation I understand what you are saying. I believe you are using negative parallax in a different and perhaps more natural and creative manner than what I've been exposed to and probably what most here have seen. From what you are saying it seems that you are pulling the scene in its entirety out towards the audience so that you feel you are literally there -- interesting use of negative parallax. I'd like to experience this melding of negative and positive parallax into a seamless image.

Last edited by Deja Vu; 07-03-2014 at 07:51 PM.
post #44 of 157 Old 07-04-2014, 08:13 AM
AVS Club Gold

Deja Vu- That's why I mentioned Life of Pi since not only has most of us seen it but it does use the full range of stereo presentation often and very naturally. It is not the only one, there are many that do. But, I agree for the most part, it is used to create the gimmick effect.

Getting back to the Teranex conversion "box" I would not be a buyer of this for several reasons, including priorities on my shopping list. But also, as we both have been in the Home Theater early adopter game for many years, we both know that these conversion systems, whether they were the old audio conversion to surround systems or video Time base correctors for tape players, or SD to HD converters, they all evolved from an expensive box to a better technology in a very short time span that cost much less and on a chip within some other device. I would bet that Black Magic Design already has a version of the Teranex on a card to fit in a computer that does everything the box does for 20% of the price. And later it will all be on a chip as a licensed technology included in 3D TV's This has been the industry practice for decades and Black Magic is well positioned to do the same. So, the cost of $4000 will have a fast depreciation obsolescence factor I have to consider. I believe if you have a way to add this technology and not take the upfront hit, can justify your entertainment value for the few short years of it's state of the art life, or you are in the business and can pay for it by commissions on sales of the device, it is not something I am willing to buy, even if it can do a "perfect" 3D conversion. Is there such a thing as "perfect"?

Tom mentioned his other priorities and I too have them for my limited funds. I would like to add a Cyclopital SBE to my Z10k and I doubt this will become obsolete as fast as the Teranex. After that, I want to upgrade my Projector in the HT to a 4K Sony. And after that maybe a 4K 65" panel passive 3D TV with a 4K server for content. As such with so much new 3D content surfacing these days, I don't see the time to even spend on 2D - 3D conversion of older movies. So, for those who are into this end of the hobby, I'm happy you are having fun with it but for me, other priorities.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Don Landis
post #45 of 157 Old 07-04-2014, 09:58 AM - Thread Starter

I've been pondering the Cyclopital SBE for the 3DA1, just not sure if I'll pull the trigger or not. It's pricey, yet it offers more stereo and easy setup. I originally thought these added longer focal lengths but as I understand it that's not what they do. They aren't telephoto lenses, they just widen the I.A. for greater stereo at distances, so you're zoom range is the same, just wider I.A. for your distance shots. This would come in handy when you just can't get a close up shot of something and are forced to shoot full zoom but also want better depth like you're ten feet away.

Problem is $2K for a single lens or do I move to dual cameras? Also considering a HD uncompressed recorder for the HD SDI outputs on the 3DA1 so I'm not limited to the AVCHD compression. That's probably lower on my list but I agree, Don, there's so much out there I want to acquire now ahead of a converter, then again, I'm in 3D now for production as well as viewing so I have to split my resources according to my needs.
post #46 of 157 Old 07-04-2014, 01:16 PM
AVS Club Gold

I can shoot SbS now with the NEX rig at 55mm but would need to buy a second 18-200mm lens $$ for full zoom and those are expensive. I have one now. But the SBE gives me zoom capability with the 3 chip Z10K. Both systems are expensive, bulky, attention getting. The SBE does bring the 3D roundness to the telephoto shots and that is what I'm interested in. For wide angle, the SbS with 10mm-18mm works great. SbS with my design sets up fast and pairs nicely. The beam splitter is another story. I never have the time for that.

Don Landis
post #47 of 157 Old 07-04-2014, 03:53 PM
AVS Special Member

I'm not totally crazy nor am I alone.

http://www.homecinemaguru.com/blackm...deo-processor/

and Cineramax's comments at the end of this youtube video.

Last edited by Deja Vu; 07-04-2014 at 04:47 PM.
post #48 of 157 Old 07-04-2014, 05:41 PM - Thread Starter

So it doesn't work with HDMI?
post #49 of 157 Old 07-05-2014, 05:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomtastic View Post
So it doesn't work with HDMI?
Yes it does. I've never had an HDMI handshake issue -- works flawlessly even time I turn it on. The first thing I did when I received it was to update its firmware. I found a simple, inexpensive product on Amazon which solved the HDCP compliance issue. These compliance issues are not new to me. Several years ago (2005) when I had both a Marquee 8500(LC) and a Sony G90 (CRT projectors, which were not HDCP compliant) I had to find a work around with respect to HDCP issues. There were solutions then just as there are now.

Last edited by Deja Vu; 07-05-2014 at 08:05 AM.
post #50 of 157 Old 07-05-2014, 08:40 AM
AVS Club Gold

Deja Vu- Does YOUR setup output SbS to the 3D display or frame packed full resolution?

Is this the flow in YOUR setup:

2D source content >>>>> AVR >>>>>> Teranex >>>>>>> 3D display
such as BD player--HDMI--- switch--HDMI--2D to 3D---HDMI

Did you add the Amazon product ( what was it) in this flow, where?

Don Landis
post #51 of 157 Old 07-05-2014, 12:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Don, here are two examples of how this can work (I use the first):

1. Oppo BD player (1080i at 60 hz refresh and colour space set to 4:2:2) to my Yamaha receiver. Receiver to amazon splitter (deals with HDCP issue) and from the splitter to the Teranex. Teranex out at 1080p with refresh of 29.98 hz (full resolution) to the 3D projector. You can send the projector sbs 3D, etc. if you so desire. I use full resolution. I'll have to double check but I believe if you send it a 3D sbs signal you have the option of converting it to full resolution (the Teranex does the scaling) and sending that to the projector. There are two controls that the Teranex has for 3D -- one for the intensity of the 3D (separation) and the other for depth. Both are effective. If you are going to watch a real 3D movie (not converted to 3D) you just turn off 3D in the Teranex's menu and it sends the 1080p 3D to the projector. You change nothing else (wrong). It doesn't work. I believe you have to change the settings in the BD player back to 1080p/24 hz. before the Teranex will pass that signal directly through to the monitor. I'll have to give it a try to confirm.

2. Oppo directly to the splitter then to the Teranex and from it to the projector.

Last edited by Deja Vu; 07-08-2014 at 05:38 AM.
post #52 of 157 Old 07-06-2014, 09:25 AM
AVS Club Gold

Interesting! So in either 1 or 2, the Teranex can send a full resolution 3D frame packed signal to the projector, Or, send a half resolution SBS to the projector. On the Teranex site, the video had me a bit confused. I got the impression from it that the Teranex only sent SBS Half to the display. I suppose the cool thing about it is you are not obsolete with present day Teranex if you bought a 4K 3D active TV because your Teranex 3D output could be upconverted by the TV so you would have the 1080p frame packed Teranex output displayed in 4K upconvert. Do I have this understanding correct? Thanks for taking the time to explain.

Don Landis
post #53 of 157 Old 07-06-2014, 10:38 AM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Landis View Post
Interesting! So in either 1 or 2, the Teranex can send a full resolution 3D frame packed signal to the projector, Or, send a half resolution SBS to the projector. On the Teranex site, the video had me a bit confused. I got the impression from it that the Teranex only sent SBS Half to the display. I suppose the cool thing about it is you are not obsolete with present day Teranex if you bought a 4K 3D active TV because your Teranex 3D output could be upconverted by the TV so you would have the 1080p frame packed Teranex output displayed in 4K upconvert. Do I have this understanding correct? Thanks for taking the time to explain.
Don,

Yes, that is correct. The Teranex is outputting 1080P 3D Full Frame Packing. All the 4K projector/monitor conceivably has to do is up-convert/scale to the native 4k/UHD resolution. The Teranex and any 1080P material would not be obsolete.
post #54 of 157 Old 07-06-2014, 08:50 PM
AVS Club Gold

Glad I asked you. If I have an extra $4k I don't know what to do with, it might be an interesting addition. BUT, I still want to see the output of real time conversion in person before pulling the trigger. I'll have it on my list to look for at CES or NAB next year if I make the shows.

Don Landis
post #55 of 157 Old 07-07-2014, 07:16 AM
AVS Special Member

"BUT, I still want to see the output of real time conversion in person before pulling the trigger."

My thoughts exactly and that's why I found a retailer with a "no questions asked" 30 day return policy. I got to see it at work in my own HT to make sure it met my expectations. It's one thing to see it working at a show where all the set up bugs have been dealt with by people familiar with the unit -- it's another to set it up on your own.

Last edited by Deja Vu; 07-07-2014 at 12:26 PM.
post #56 of 157 Old 07-07-2014, 08:13 AM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomtastic View Post
There hasn't been many newly released 2D to 3D conversions lately, is this because converters work so well or do we need more 2D to 3D conversions released?

Edit: Old movies, like Titanic and Predator, just to be clear, not new releases. Those should be native 3D anyway.
It is because it is very expensive to do a high quality conversion, and people who bankroll such ventures are uncertain there will be a profit. The public do not appear to be as thirsty for 3D as they used to be.

It is not because converters work well. Built-in converters in Blu-ray players or 3D TVs are:
(a) of interest to try out for novelty value, and
(b) some people (a small percentage) have reported using such converters routinely and enjoying the result.

If converters worked tremendously well, we would expect large sections of the population insisting on putting on their 3D glasses to watch their 2D television programs in simulated 3D. There is no evidence of that. I for one am very keen on stereoscopic 3D but the automated conversions I have seen have left me cold.

I have tried the built-in 3D converter in my 2013 model 65" Sony 4k passive 3D display. It gives each scene a 3D effect, is able to infer the correct order of layering of objects a lot of the time, but unfortunately does not transition well from one scene to the next, e.g. with a series of advertisements each new ad may be associated with an abrupt, disturbing, change in the 3D effect.

Reflections are very challenging even with painstaking manual conversion. With automatic conversion, expectations should be low. As a test, I have tried out 3D stills and video of a swimming pool with reflected trees appearing on the surface of the water and some small black marks appearing at the bottom of the pool. My Sony set is incapable of separating these features in 2D to 3D conversion mode. But in proper 3D mode you can see the reflections, the surface of the water, and the black spots at the bottom of the pool, quite easily.

Automatic conversions tend to fall down when the subject is very close to the camera position such that a true stereo view would provide quite different images for the two eyes. Imagine if you will a human face facing slightly away from a 2D camera. If the camera is placed directly in front of the person at about a metre away it will reveal one ear to a large extent, and the other to a limited extent, or not at all. It will reveal one side of the nose in full and the other side of the nose only partially. A detailed manual conversion, as was done with Titanic (1997), will painstakingly insert the missing ear detail, and the missing nose detail, so as to arrive at a close approximation of the views that a 3D pair of lenses placed directly in front of the human face would have captured. (Or that indeed a human being would have seen, using left and right eyes.)

The result of the detailed manual conversion is that the person really does looks very close to the viewer as in real life, rather than as a magnified photograph, or magnified 2D video.

The conversion for Jurassic Park (1993) uses a fairly exaggerated, but effective, 3D a lot of the time. However with closeups I don't perceive the special "spice" that true stereoscopic 3D gives in closeups, and that very detailed manual conversions such as done for Titanic, come close to providing. In my opinion, it was a professional and effective, but not exceptionally well done, conversion.

A conversion that was particularly well done in my opinion was Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 2. Very early in the movie we see the interior of a cottage near the sea (Shell Cottage) where Griphook the Goblin plots with Harry to gain access to a vault in Gringotts Bank. The close-ups of the human characters in the cottage are very realistic, indicating considerable attention to detail in the post conversion.

It will be many years before computers are able to achieve that high standard of conversion automatically. (The computers will likely require a sophistication of analysis akin to artificial intelligence and would need considerable processing time and more than one pass through the video frames to obtain video data from later frames that could be used to help manufacture missing detail for earlier frames). Currently such conversions are done with the aid of specialised software and take thousands of man hours per movie. Much of the work requires frame by frame human intervention.

When it comes to chaotic image content such as raindrops falling immediately in front of the camera position, or multiple layers of image content too difficult to separate and unravel from the 2D source (e.g. a school of 500 small tropical fish swimming close to each other) a realistic manual conversion may become unwieldy or impossible, and approximations need to be made to make the conversion task manageable. This could include blurring parts of the frame.

If a real time automated 2D to 3D converter is preferred because it can provide a milder 3D effect than some native stereoscopic movies provide, that is an understandable preference. However the better produced native 3D movies do not contain exaggerated 3D, for my eyes, anyway. I would cite as examples: Avatar (except in the opening scene where Sam Worthington's character comes out of cryogenic suspension), Hugo, Life of Pi, Prometheus, and the two Hobbit movies.

Last edited by MLXXX; 07-07-2014 at 08:19 AM.
post #57 of 157 Old 07-07-2014, 10:49 AM
AVS Special Member

"If converters worked tremendously well, we would expect large sections of the population insisting on putting on their 3D glasses to watch their 2D television programs in simulated 3D. There is no evidence of that. I for one am very keen on stereoscopic 3D but the automated conversions I have seen have left me cold."

I felt the same way until I made the effort to try out the $4,000 Teranex in my HT. I'll be the first to admit just how wrong I was.

"It will be many years before computers are able to achieve that high standard of conversion automatically. (The computers will likely require a sophistication of analysis akin to artificial intelligence and would need considerable processing time and more than one pass through the video frames to obtain video data from later frames that could be used to help manufacture missing detail for earlier frames). Currently such conversions are done with the aid of specialised software and take thousands of man hours per movie."

The Teranex simply works and it produces an astoundingly natural and convincing 3D real time image. For me the Teranex is tomorrow's technology today. It's science fiction meets reality -- it trounces all other conversions I've seen and I've seen my fair share. The only other converter that is worth using, IMO, is found in the Mits projector and it's not in the same league. The honeymoon period is now long over for me and I simply love what the Teranex does -- but then again, I fully admit that I'm heavily biased towards 3D. If I had been in the 10% of the population that had the financial wherewithal to pay $90,000 for this converter a couple of years ago I wouldn't now begrudge a penny of it. For what it does I consider the $4,000 I paid to be a bargain. It actually lives up to the hype.

The movie Elysium looks absolutely stunning converted to 3D by the Teranex. So many 2D movies to be converted to 3D and so little time.

I'm starting to sound like a salesperson -- good thing the Teranex isn't intended to be a consumer product (it's marketed to the broadcast industry).

Last edited by Deja Vu; 07-07-2014 at 11:14 AM.
post #58 of 157 Old 07-07-2014, 12:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Here's where I'm coming from with my statement about how natural the 3D looks when 2D is converted by the Teranex. When I see closeups of an actor's face in high definition I see more detail than I ever see when standing relatively close to someone I know during a conversation. The film is shot with proper lighting, and so on. I get to see every pock mark and every blemish -- often more than I want to see! The same applies to 3D -- when 3D is taken into account by the director then he/she often makes artistic decisions using the tools at his/her disposal. I have seen scenes in 3D movies that simply aren't possible visually in real life (well, I've never seen 3D in this way). If you have ever seen a 3D movie called Static there is an opening scene with the protagonist walking in the woods -- it is very artistic; however, I have walked in woods and never seen large trees in that particular spatial context and with that much separation and depth. Also there is a scene with a shot taken low and from the end of a table with two people sitting at the table in conversation. Again, its an artistic shot using 3D and the camera's ability to enhance the sense of depth and distance. I ran this scene in 2D through the Teranex and had it do the 3D and it looks less artistic and much more realistic. The same for the woods scene. This is the reason I believe the Teranex's conversions are often more natural than what you find in a 3D movie -- you basically see the the raw footage without the artistic enhancements. I love the "art" part, it's part of the magic of storytelling, but that's not what I see in my day-to-day life.
I don't doubt the Teranex can make unrealistic shots in a 5.3/10 movie look more realistic.

On the other hand, I'd like to see you compare the Teranex to native 3D that's shot with a natural look in mind.

Also, not all unnatural 3D is bad, if it positively complements the story. A skilled Director of Photography is going to be able to accomplish that, whereas a lower-tier DP is expected to make a lot of poor choices in desperate attempt to engage viewers to make up for the subpar production.

A movie with good 3D does not necessarily equal a good 3D movie!

Last edited by cakefoo; 07-07-2014 at 12:34 PM.
post #59 of 157 Old 07-07-2014, 01:59 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 332 Post(s)
Liked: 369
One of the problems I've found with real-time converters is what I call the "Billboard Effect." I first saw this in Cars 2, during a scene where some of the characters parked underneath a billboard with an image of other cars on it. A live viewer will know that the image on the billboard should be flat, but the converter thought it was part of the scene and applied depth to it. I saw this elsewhere with scenes that involved paintings, photographs or logo emblems.

I'm curious how well the Teranex handles situations like this.

Josh Z
Writer/Editor, High-Def Digest (
)
Curator,

My opinions are my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of my employers.

post #60 of 157 Old 07-07-2014, 03:20 PM

Quote:
good thing the Teranex isn't intended to be a consumer product (it's marketed to the broadcast industry).
That's the bad part. It should be a consumers product. A little box with his 2D to 3D converter software for a lower price, so all of us can have 3D in every movie we want.
Reply 3D Content
Gear in this thread - Z100 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page