Should Studios Do 2D to 3D Conversions, Or Are On-Board 2D to 3D Converters Sufficient? - Page 3 - AVS Forum
View Poll Results: Should Studios Do 2D to 3D Conversions?
Yes, bring us more converted titles please! 23 76.67%
No, my built In 2D to 3D converter works great! 3 10.00%
Not sure, release it and I'll decide later. 4 13.33%
Voters: 30. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

post #61 of 157 Old 07-07-2014, 03:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Z View Post
One of the problems I've found with real-time converters is what I call the "Billboard Effect." I first saw this in Cars 2, during a scene where some of the characters parked underneath a billboard with an image of other cars on it. A live viewer will know that the image on the billboard should be flat, but the converter thought it was part of the scene and applied depth to it. I saw this elsewhere with scenes that involved paintings, photographs or logo emblems.

I'm curious how well the Teranex handles situations like this.
Josh, I mentioned this in another post on this thread. From post No. 10 in this thread I said: "One big problem the Mits has is when there is a sign with wording on it in a scene. It wants to put the top line in one plane and the line below in a different plane." The Teranex handles the wording on bill boards, reflections in water and from mirrors properly unlike other converters I've used. If there is a T.V. on in a scene the image on the T.V. is in 2D while the rest of the scene is in 3D. The Teranex has been able to handle everything I've thrown at it without a hiccup. Music concerts filmed in bowl shaped arenas with multiple layered seating are a problem for the other converters I've used when shots of the crowd are taken from high up. The Teranex gets this right! This processor is in a league of its own from what I've seen to date.

I'm using this thing everyday for several hours at a time and throwing everything I have at it and it just keeps impressing me. Thank god I found a retailer with a return policy or I probably wouldn't have taken the gamble.

I'll part with every piece of equipment in my HTs (2) except for my 3 2.8 gain HP screens, my two Oppo BD players (they play ISO files) and the Teranex. They're keepers. BTW I'm seriously considering another Teranex for my main HT. If the first one passes a comprehensive evaluation by yours truly I'll add another. Right now it looks like I'll be adding another unless the one I have suddenly gives up the ghost or something better comes along, which at the moment is difficult to imagine.

Last edited by Deja Vu; 07-07-2014 at 04:18 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 157 Old 07-08-2014, 05:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CARTmen View Post
That's the bad part. It should be a consumers product. A little box with his 2D to 3D converter software for a lower price, so all of us can have 3D in every movie we want.
I agree that it would be nice if Black Magic just took the conversion part of the Teranex and sold it in a separate "magic box" for $999 or whatever. I doubt that there's enough demand from the general public to encourage it to do this. Remember, we've had blu-ray for years; however, there's still a large demand for DVD. When 1080p projectors first hit the market ten years ago they cost $30,000. It was several years before they came down to a more affordable price and there was, at least, some demand. We often assume that because we like something everyone else must also. That's certainly not the case for 3D as you can see by reading posts in this section and other sections of this forum. There are a lot of folks out there who do not like 3D and would like to see it fail.

Snowpiercer is a sci-fi movie I'd like to see but it is 2D only. When I see it I'll see it in 3D. That's an option I now have and it gives me some satisfaction that others can no longer control what I can and cannot watch in 3D. I'm able to give the middle finger to all those 3D haters out there. What's that worth?
kimg1453 likes this.

Last edited by Deja Vu; 07-08-2014 at 08:07 AM.
post #63 of 157 Old 07-08-2014, 06:26 AM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deja Vu View Post
I agree that it would be nice if Black Magic just took the conversion part of the Teranex and sold it in a separate "magic box" for $999 or whatever. I doubt that there's enough demand from the general public to encourage it to do this. Remember, we've had blu-ray for years; however, there's still a large demand for DVD. When 1080p projectors first hit the market ten years ago they cost $30,000. It was several years before they came down to a more affordable price and there was, at least, some demand. We often assume that because we like something everyone else must also. That's certainly not the case for 3D as you can see by reading posts in this section and other sections of this forum. There are a lot of folks out there who do not like 3D and would like to see it fail.

Snowpiercer is a sci-fi movie I'd like to see but it is 2D only. When I see it I'll see it in 3D. That's an option I now have and it gives me some satisfaction that others can no lover control what I can and cannot watch in 3D. I'm able to give the middle finger to all those 3D haters out there. What's that worth?
But that's exactly as you say, the projector's prices had to drop for them to be accepted, and with this product has to be the same. I'm sure that there aren't a lot of people with the money and the interest in 3D to buy Teranex. And all of us who are nuts about 3D and want one can't buy it because of the price.
The best way to promote this product is to make a home version of it (just with the 2D to 3D converter) with a lower prices. That way we could buy them and starting to show their qualities to the ones who don't like.
Someone should pass this valuable advice to Black Magic so I can buy one.
post #64 of 157 Old 07-08-2014, 06:48 AM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Don,

I live in Lakewood Ranch, which is in the Sarasota/Bradenton area on the West Coast, so I'm not that far from you. I would be willing to show you my system. Just let me know if and when you could make it over this way at some point in time. My Teranex 3D is running a Sim2 projector. Keep in mind, I am only using it for 3D simulation and none of the other 3D type activities you are involved in.

Kim
post #65 of 157 Old 07-08-2014, 09:59 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked: 121
Kim- Thank you for the invitation. I'm about 250 mi from you. If we get down that way on another trip, I will keep your offer in mind. I am curious to see what it can do.

One of the tests experiments I would like to try is taking a 3D / 2D Bluray movie that offers good 3D and then see how the 2D version of the same movie compares to the 3D version. There are many movies that are out in both formats even on the same disk. This would be the real proof the Teranex works to expectations. Do this with a couple of movies and there is no difference in quality of the 3D or overall PQ and I am a buyer.

I also suppose one would need to adjust for A/V delay. I assume you and other owners were able to do that either by processing the sound delay through the Teranex or in your AVR.
post #66 of 157 Old 07-08-2014, 02:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Landis View Post
One of the tests experiments I would like to try is taking a 3D / 2D Bluray movie that offers good 3D and then see how the 2D version of the same movie compares to the 3D version. There are many movies that are out in both formats even on the same disk. This would be the real proof the Teranex works to expectations. Do this with a couple of movies and there is no difference in quality of the 3D or overall PQ and I am a buyer.
Here's a quote from a post (post #10 ) I posted on this thread about just such a comparison.

"Teranex -- expensive and needs some care in setting it up. From what I've seen this processor is the cream of the crop. It produces accurate, natural looking, clean and deep real-time 2D to 3D conversion and for 3D lovers it is worth every penny. Material that gives the other converters headaches is a walk in the park for this converter. I've watched scenes from 3D movies in 2D converted to 3D by the Teranex and it's 3D image compares very favourably to the actual 3D image. The Mits does well on this test as well. The Teranex is the best 2D to 3D real-time converter I've seen to date and it's my go to converter. I'm watching one 2D movie after another converted to 3D by the Teranex and I am very much enjoying the experience. (rating 10/10)"

I still prefer native 3D (by a surprisingly slim margin) to the Teranex's conversion. With that being said the Teranex does an outstanding job converting the 2D version of a 3D movie to 3D. If you didn't actually immediately compare the real time conversion with the actual studio 3D you would most likely think you where watching the studio 3D and not a real time conversion -- it is that good. What it doesn't do is negative parallax so you don't get that feeling of closeness in some scenes like you do with the "real" thing. With the Teranex's conversion it is more like you're looking through a window as a spectator. It is far more engaging than 2D in my humble opinion and quite addicting.

I watched The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo (the Daniel Craig version) and it looked outstanding converted to 3D. There are a lot of scenes of people watching flat screen T.V.s and computer screens -- no problem for the Teranex. When Martin crashes his car at night near the end of the movie the reflection in the store's windows looks right. This is very impressive real time conversion.

Last edited by Deja Vu; 07-08-2014 at 02:50 PM.
post #67 of 157 Old 07-09-2014, 12:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
I agree that it would be nice if Black Magic just took the conversion part of the Teranex and sold it in a separate "magic box" for $999 or whatever. I doubt that there's enough demand from the general public to encourage it to do this. Remember, we've had blu-ray for years; however, there's still a large demand for DVD.
I bet personal Teranex boxes don't even amount to one millionth of the Blu-ray installed base.

My Videos

A movie with good 3D does not necessarily equal a good 3D movie!

post #68 of 157 Old 07-09-2014, 12:34 AM
AVS Special Member

If the Teranex is so great, why do studios spend $10,000,000 on conversions when they could supposedly get comparable if not favorable results for $4,000?

One guy on a message board says it's great and suddenly everyone blindly believes him? Come on, this is a forum for scientific thinking. Am I going crazy?

My Videos

post #69 of 157 Old 07-09-2014, 05:52 AM

Cakefoo,

You seem so ready to judge and disbelieve. Deja Vu is not the only one to tout the merits of the Teranex 3D processor. I certainly have weighted in as well and several higher up respected people have vouched for it as well.

Instead of trying to damn it all, why don't you just research a place to actually see it for yourself. I would think then and only then would your last statement about people blindly accepting Deja Vu's word would carry some weight. No one is trying to sell anything, we're just passing on what we believe is an incredible product for 3D users that is available now. We're just end users who truly enjoy 3D and the conversion of the Teranex has been found to be currently the best available at a reasonable cost for us mere mortals.

Who know's why the studio's and broadcast industry do what they do, but I'm sure what they use is very high end professional equipment that does alot more than the Teranex unit we have access to. Plus they're working with Master material, etc. and they can't afford any issues or error's in encoding, etc. My $0.02.
Deja Vu likes this.

Last edited by kimg1453; 07-09-2014 at 07:49 AM.
post #70 of 157 Old 07-09-2014, 07:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by cakefoo View Post
If the Teranex is so great, why do studios spend $10,000,000 on conversions when they could supposedly get comparable if not favorable results for $4,000?

One guy on a message board says it's great and suddenly everyone blindly believes him? Come on, this is a forum for scientific thinking. Am I going crazy?
You have an open invitation to come and see it for yourself if you're ever visiting either the Kingston, Ottawa or Toronto areas in Ontario, Canada.

I've been on this board for the past 15 years -- first under my name and now as Deja Vu. I've read about a lot of equipment and have owned a lot of equipment over those years including; Marantz, Epson, Panasonic, Mits, Nec, and Sharp digital projectors and I have also owned lumagen processors, a Marquee 8500(LC) gamma corrected CRT projector and a Sony G90 gamma corrected CRT projector. I've been around the block a few times. I can afford to keep equipment or eventually give it way to family or friends rather than dumping it on the "used" market and this gives me the opportunity to compare different projectors, etc. head to head. I've also looked at several different consumer 2D to 3D real time converters and compared them to one another.

I'm not here to tell you or anyone to blindly buy a specific piece of equipment. See it for yourself and perhaps live with it for awhile so you can make a rational decision based on what you've seen and what your expectations are. Only then decide. This is what I did and what anyone living in North America can do. Rather than speculating about my visual and moral integrity -- I invite everyone in this thread who is sincerely interested in real time 2D to 3D converters to do something positive, which I believe I did, and see it for yourselves. And yes, I am purchasing another Teranex for my main screening room.

I'm a self-confessed equipment junkie and I have an obsessive compulsive disorder. I'm looking for the best equipment without going crazy, spending wise. I could, but I'm a cheapskate (according to my wife -- just bought her a bass viola that cost more than the Teranex, which should keep her happy for awhile).

For 3D I've just added the Teranex to my highly recommended list along with the Da-lite high power 2.8 gain screen (if you can find one), Oppo BD player and the Mits 7900/8000 projector (for ghost and judder free 3D). This is an absolutely killer 3D system for under $7,000 (if you do your homework) and it will open the doors to much, much more 3D content, being everything in 2D! I presently have eight 3D projectors (ten projectors in total) and assorted BD players, screens, processors, HT computers and so on. The above noted combination is 3D nirvana, especially for the cost. Res Ipsa Loquitur.
SFMike and kimg1453 like this.

Last edited by Deja Vu; 07-09-2014 at 08:15 AM.
post #71 of 157 Old 07-09-2014, 09:13 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked: 121
Quote:
What it doesn't do is negative parallax so you don't get that feeling of closeness in some scenes like you do with the "real" thing.
Thanks for that comment. I missed it from before. With that profound disclosure of losing 50% of the stereoscopic conversion, I will certainly pass on it for now. It is just not worth the $4000 to me to get something that is not complete. There are those 3D enthusiasts who will favor only negative parallax and who even claim that range popout of 3D is wrong, needs to be stopped and for them this box is probably the best thing to come along since the home 3D TV. But, sorry, it is not for me. Very few of my real 3D and post converted 3D Movies are lacking in positive parallax content. Some only a little and some just the gimmick popout effect but nearly all have some form and it's part of my entertainment experience.

So with that said, I will end my curiosity for this now and wait for maybe Gen 2 of the Teranex that will be complete and give those of us that want it, the complete presentation of the 3D world.

I really appreciate your coming forward with that honesty on what it can't do. Saves me the trouble of posting a disappointing review and having to read angry rebuttals that positive Parallax is not important. To me it is!

Cakefoo- I agree with your posted skepticism and that's why I wanted to see before buying. This box may be right for some but now that I understand the limitation, it's not right for me, even for $200. Yeah, I wouldn't spend $200 for one, sorry. For me, 3D absent positive parallax would be like having a color TV with no red color in the RGB picture.

Last edited by Don Landis; 07-09-2014 at 09:17 AM.
post #72 of 157 Old 07-09-2014, 09:41 AM
AVS Special Member

I'm not sure whether or not the Teranex will ever have a firmware update that will allow it to include negative parallax as well as positive parallax conversion. With the possible exception of the 3D animated films of Sammy's Adventures I have yet to see any commercial 3D movie that uses negative parallax 50% of the time or anywhere close to that. And to be honest I wasn't sure that the extreme use of negative parallax in Sammy's Adventures really added anything to the overall 3D experience. Form my experience perhaps 5% of the scenes in most commercial 3D movies have obvious negative parallax so the fact that the Teranex doesn't accommodate this particular feature isn't a huge issue for me; however, I would obviously like to see that ability added to its repertoire. Many here complain about the lack of use of negative parallax. In stark contrast to their wishes, if I'm not mistaken, Cakefoo often supports the studios' decisions not to use much negative parallax.

To quote Cakefoo:

"3D to me is about increased depth perception. I would die a happy person if I never saw another explosion fly towards my face. Totally not needed from a story perspective. And that's what cinema is about. There are no 3D checklists to fill out other than "does it add anything to the story".

Popout will NOT save 3D!!! Popout is an easy and cheap ploy. Saving 3D requires actual effort and sincerity. GRAVITY and AVATAR and HUGO and LIFE OF PI were pretty successful films because they had engaging plots, ample stereo strength, creative cinematography and seamless 3D+story integration. NOT because of objects invading personal space."

This is something that Cakefoo and I agree about; however, I do enjoy some negative parallax here and there when used to enhance the storyline.

Last edited by Deja Vu; 07-09-2014 at 10:07 AM.
post #73 of 157 Old 07-09-2014, 10:58 AM
AVS Special Member

The lack of negative critique is what irks me about the Teranex testimonials.

If anyone knows of a Teranex in a 50 mile radius of the Phoenix area that I could see, I would gladly go see it for myself.

The Teranex could surpass those expectations ever so slightly, but there's no way it could meet my quality standards.

A similar device was used for I, Robot's initial conversion before artists tweaked it by hand, and the results were not too impressive, according to reviewers:

"The problem is that the picture is not consistent and often feels flat, as if it has reverted back to a 2D format. There's a decent sense of layering throughout although it mostly seems artificial, but separation between the foreground and background is entirely unconvincing. "

"Generally, the transfer produces a wishy-washy sense of depth. It's somewhat impressive here and not so impressive there, and the good comes and goes with what seems to be an arbitrary pattern. Some shots offer pronounced depth across a relatively short room, while other shots of sprawling lobbies or deep glimpses down the USR headquarters building look no more deep than they do in the 2D version. Some shots that cry out for stunning 3D don't get it, and other, random shots (sometimes, sort of) do. An early text overlay introducing the city and date looks quite nice as it hovers off the screen and well above the image, and is probably the single showcase 3D shot in the entire movie. Even various scenes featuring floating bubbles lack visual pizzaz; the bubbles never appear very shapely and only rarely seem to float about with any real sense of space. A shootout near the end of the film does fling some debris towards the audience for the most pronounced "wow" moment in the film. Otherwise, this one's disappointing. "

What I think the Teranex does based on an off-screen image Cineramax posted a long time ago, is create a sort of fisheye or vignetting effect that essentially curves the image in a spherical shape. Good for corridor shots and wide angle establishing shots, etc, but lacking when it comes to placing foreground, middleground and background objects on their respective depth planes. It probably can't paint over the background, so the layers that do pop probably look more like blurbs with rounded extrusions instead of looking like properly separated elements.

The only example I can find of a studio using the Teranex is in a $65,000 documentary, One Night In March. (source)

My Videos

post #74 of 157 Old 07-09-2014, 11:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Cakefoo -- I'm not going to go where I'm tempted to as a result of your last post. Suffice it to say you're making false and misleading statements based on something you refuse to see for yourself. You obviously have absolutely no idea what the Teranex can do with 2D material. Speculation based on preconceived notions and biases don't take one anywhere.

I trust anyone with an open mind will see this piece of equipment for him or herself and will come to their own conclusions.

When I say "see it yourself" I mean it! Order it with a 30 return policy and use it and then report back here. If you don't like it then return it. What's so hard about that!

I through arguing about the virtues of a particular processor with people who haven't seen or used it and apparently are unwilling to make the effort -- not even a subjective evaluation much less an objective one. Criticizing something you've seen is one thing. Criticizing something you haven't seen is something entirely different. From reading some of your past posts I believe your agenda is to cast all conversions (studio or real time) in a bad light. To each his own.

The thing speaks for itself.
kimg1453 likes this.
post #75 of 157 Old 07-09-2014, 12:00 PM
AVS Special Member

I'm willing to see a demo in Phoenix, I'm not willing to loan a company $4,000 to try it, just so I can debate on a message board.

Would the Teranex get all 14 layers in this shot right? And how is it going to handle painting background elements that only the second eye sees?

My Videos

post #76 of 157 Old 07-09-2014, 04:47 PM

Do you think that can be made a product like the one we talked before, just with the 2D to 3D technology of Teranex, for under 1000$, in a near future?
Like you Deja Vu, I'm a big fan of 3D, but right now I can't afford a product like this. An under 1000$ product would be great.
If you have some kind of contact with Black Magic, could you ask him what is his idea of the future of Teranex, and the possibility of a unit like the one I've mentioned?
post #77 of 157 Old 07-10-2014, 07:05 AM

Liked: 24
Quote:
I trust anyone with an open mind will see this piece of equipment for him or herself and will come to their own conclusions.
Does the manufacturer offer:
(1) A limited video upload test facility such that a potential customer can upload a short sample of their own 2D and then download the automatically converted version?
(2) A website with samples of native stereoscopic 3D video, a 2D version of the video using the Left frames, and an automatic 3D conversion using the Left frames and a default setting of the 2D to 3D real-time converter?

I note these days some microphone manufacturers provide downloadable audio samples of their range of mikes recording the same source (e.g. piano, vocal, guitar or drums). This means potential buyers can compare the sound from a range of the manufacturer's mikes, from the comfort of their homes.

Really, a manufacturer of a high performance 2D to 3D converter ought to be able to provide samples of what the product can do, I would suggest. As cakefoo has implied, $4,000 is a great deal of money to lend to a manufacturer for the privilege of trying out their product. Also as cakefoo has noted, testimonials are normally balanced, pointing out negatives as well as positives.

To the best of my knowledge we don't see website samples for the 2D to 3D converters built in to some TVs and some Blu-ray players. That would be because the conversions are very basic, and create many artifacts. Some people would regard the converters built in to certain TVs and Blu-ray players as a novelty, or less generously, as a gimmick.

If the Teranex is a cut above the average then it may demonstrably outperform the typical standard of converters built in to TV sets and Blu-ray players. Let us see some samples hosted on the manufacturer's website, or on YouTube, demonstrating what it has done, in real time, with a range of 2D material.
cakefoo likes this.

Last edited by MLXXX; 07-10-2014 at 07:20 AM.
post #78 of 157 Old 07-10-2014, 07:48 AM

Nothing more can be said other than what Deja Vu, myself, and a couple of other's have noted about the Teranex 3D processor in terms of its outstanding performance. Is there room for some improvement? I couldn't say as I'm not an engineer, just an end user who is very happy with this product for what it does and meets or exceeds my expectations.

It's been stressed over and over again to sample it for yourself. I would suggest anyone interested should contact Blackmagic themselves and see what could be worked out short of the 30 day return guarantee Deja Vu worked out with a dealer.

It's been noted by several people now that there has not been much (very little) in the way of negatives. What are we suppose to do? Pull a rabbit out of our hat to nit pick it so much as to find things others may seem as wrong? We're merely saying that this processor is the best available at a fairly reasonable cost as compared to anything else on the market. It is way above any converter built into a TV/Monitor, Blu-ray player, video processor, or otherwise. I would hope that maybe Blackmagic was monitoring this forum and take up the suggestion that I agree with 100% to consider manufacturing a standalone unit for 2D to 3D conversion only. I would think they would sell a good number to 3D enthusiasts.

I can't say anymore. If people remain skeptical and its too much trouble to pursue a hands on view of the processor, then just ignore all of this and wait for something else. In the meantime, Deja Vu, myself, and I'm sure others are enjoying its use now.
Deja Vu likes this.

Last edited by kimg1453; 07-10-2014 at 07:51 AM.
post #79 of 157 Old 07-10-2014, 08:04 AM
AVS Special Member

The Teranex is not intended to be a consumer product. In other words it is not intended for you or me. It is an esoteric professional tool and is not HDCP compliant. I found out about it on this forum and investigated the possibility of making it work in my home environment. I overcame certain obstacles and found that it did indeed offer superior 2D to 3D real time conversion. I probably should have left it at that. It really has no application to those on this forum since it is NOT intended to be used by them.

You should all ignore my previous posts and get back to debating equipment, etc. that is of relevance to you and is intended for and is priced for your consumption.

I apologize for wasting your time.

Jeff Meier, a well respected HTGuru had this to say about the Teranex and its applications:

"A system I worked on recently was using a Teranex 3D444 3D Processor to create 3D from 2D DVD and Blu-Ray sources. I have to say this product had the best results at this that I have ever seen. One report I heard about said that on comparison this is better than 70% of the 3D Blu-Rays when used with their 2D sources. That is not totally surprising because of Teranex’s history of high quality professional video processors that used to cost $250,000 and require government control because the processors were the same as those found in military applications. Teranex is also frequently specified for commercial TV applications. The big surprise is the price of this unit is less than $4,000. Blackmagic Design must have worked hard on reducing the cost of these units. (emphasis added)"

Suffice it to say that few of us can afford the systems he works on, much less afford his professional services. The only reason I gave the Teranex a try was due to the price drop from $90,000 to $3,999. At $90,000 it was a novelty item -- interesting to read about but I'd never own one. At $3,999 it was worth a look.

Last edited by Deja Vu; 07-10-2014 at 08:36 AM.
post #80 of 157 Old 07-10-2014, 09:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimg1453 View Post
It's been noted by several people now that there has not been much (very little) in the way of negatives. What are we suppose to do? Pull a rabbit out of our hat to nit pick it so much as to find things others may seem as wrong? We're merely saying that this processor is the best available at a fairly reasonable cost as compared to anything else on the market. It is way above any converter built into a TV/Monitor, Blu-ray player, video processor, or otherwise.
Autoconversion is very unnatural and fake. I just want to know how the Teranex compares to native or hand-converted 3D. Deja Vu claimed it can surpass them. The claims are all over the place.

Quote:
I can't say anymore. If people remain skeptical and its too much trouble to pursue a hands on view of the processor, then just ignore all of this and wait for something else. In the meantime, Deja Vu, myself, and I'm sure others are enjoying its use now.
We're just trying to engage in a technical, scientific discussion in an attempt to investigate the accuracy of the claims. Every Teranex owner I've spoken to on this board has evaded my questions and challenged me to instead invest thousands of dollars to see for myself. NO THANKYOU.

My Videos

post #81 of 157 Old 07-10-2014, 09:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
The Teranex is not intended to be a consumer product. In other words it is not intended for you or me. It is an esoteric professional tool and is not HDCP compliant. I found out about it on this forum and investigated the possibility of making it work in my home environment. I overcame certain obstacles and found that it did indeed offer superior 2D to 3D real time conversion. I probably should have left it at that. It really has no application to those on this forum since it is NOT intended to be used by them.

You should all ignore my previous posts and get back to debating equipment, etc. that is of relevance to you and is intended for and is priced for your consumption.

I apologize for wasting your time.

Jeff Meier, a well respected HTGuru had this to say about the Teranex and its applications:

"A system I worked on recently was using a Teranex 3D444 3D Processor to create 3D from 2D DVD and Blu-Ray sources. I have to say this product had the best results at this that I have ever seen. One report I heard about said that on comparison this is better than 70% of the 3D Blu-Rays when used with their 2D sources. That is not totally surprising because of Teranex’s history of high quality professional video processors that used to cost $250,000 and require government control because the processors were the same as those found in military applications. Teranex is also frequently specified for commercial TV applications. The big surprise is the price of this unit is less than $4,000. Blackmagic Design must have worked hard on reducing the cost of these units. (emphasis added)"

Suffice it to say that few of us can afford the systems he works on, much less afford his professional services. The only reason I gave the Teranex a try was due to the price drop from $90,000 to $3,999. At $90,000 it was a novelty item -- interesting to read about but I'd never own one. At $3,999 it was worth a look.
Citing a person who cites another person? Who is this person? And where did this arbitrary 70% figure come from?

Sorry, but the infamous Teranex hearsay tactic does not advance the discussion on a scientific message board. It has been attempted thousands of times on AVS, and I for one am SICK OF IT. It's insulting to keep retreating to these kinds of pitches when people like me specifically request a more technical approach to the matter.

My Videos

Last edited by cakefoo; 07-10-2014 at 09:35 AM.
post #82 of 157 Old 07-10-2014, 09:47 AM

Cakefoo,

We can't help you anymore. Your going around the same bush. If you don't want to see it, I guess you'll never be able to have an opinion about its performance. Sorry!

By the way, Jeff Meier's statement about the conversion of the Teranex as being the best he has seen was in my system after he performed a calibration on my Video and Audio.

Nothing more to report on this topic I'm afraid.
post #83 of 157 Old 07-10-2014, 10:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimg1453 View Post
Cakefoo,

We can't help you anymore. Your going around the same bush. If you don't want to see it, I guess you'll never be able to have an opinion about its performance. Sorry!

By the way, Jeff Meier's statement about the conversion of the Teranex as being the best he has seen was in my system after he performed a calibration on my Video and Audio.

Nothing more to report on this topic I'm afraid.
Get back to me when you can honestly reply to my Lion King screenshot. That and a comparison to Avatar or other critically acclaimed 3D effort are the only things that can convince me that the Teranex is all it's cracked up to be.

My Videos

Last edited by cakefoo; 07-10-2014 at 10:08 AM.
post #84 of 157 Old 07-10-2014, 01:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cakefoo View Post
Get back to me when you can honestly reply to my Lion King screenshot. That and a comparison to Avatar or other critically acclaimed 3D effort are the only things that can convince me that the Teranex is all it's cracked up to be.
I personally have no interest in convincing you about the merits of the Teranex's 2D to 3D conversion. This processor is NOT FOR YOU -- it wasn't intended for you and I should have left well enough alone. Believe what you want -- I really don't care. You have an agenda which is anti 3D conversion -- studio or real time.

BTW all you have to do is put the $4,000 on your credit card. The delivery only takes a couple of days. Hook it up and have a look. If you don't like what you see then send it back and your credit card gets credited well before the 30 trial period is over. You don't loan anyone $4,000. At least I put my money where my mouth is. Why don't you?
post #85 of 157 Old 07-10-2014, 01:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I personally have no interest in convincing you about the merits of the Teranex's 2D to 3D conversion. This processor is NOT FOR YOU -- it wasn't intended for you and I should have left well enough alone.
Why is it not for me? The claim that the Teranex meets native 3D quality standards directly interests me. It's just not in my price range, not even to sample it.

Quote:
Believe what you want -- I really don't care. You have an agenda which is anti 3D conversion -- studio or real time.
That's news to me. I thought Jurassic Park and Pacific Rim met my quality standards. My only "agenda" is to see good 3D.

I'm surprised you aren't used to handling skepticism towards the Teranex by now.

You know what you could do? Get a tripod and a camera and take a screenshot through the left and right eye lenses while a conversion is paused. Is that possible?

My Videos

post #86 of 157 Old 07-10-2014, 05:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 47
Did everyone forget what the "S" stands for AVS?

This isn't the "it's awesome because I said so" channel... if you really want people to believe this is the greatest product under the sun, then show us. Post up some output somewhere. Drop a vid on YouTube in HSBS. Anything. Not this holier-than-thou "if you have to ask, you can't afford it" elitist BS.

Welcome to Rivendell, Mister Anderson.
post #87 of 157 Old 07-10-2014, 05:56 PM

I really can't understand why are you having so many problems with Deja Vu's opinions. I thought we all could write our opinions on this forum, and we didn't have to corroborate them with somebody's text from other page . Do I have to shut up if I think anaglyph 3D is the best one for me? I think not. I have the right to say it, even if no one have ever said it online and I don't have a source to show. It's my opinion.
Deja Vu started this thread to comment the product and how happy he is with it, and now we are discussing if this product can get all the 14 layers of one image. This is ridiculous. You want the Teranex to do what half the studio's 3D conversions don't do. It's a product that isn't perfect, but I'm sure you can't name one single product that is.
And as have already been said you should try it before you criticize so much. Or if you have another alternative better than this one you should point it.

Deja Vu I thank you for starting this thread. I'm happy to know that a product like this, that a few years ago costed 100.000$ now costs 4.000$. It's a very interesting product and as any other technology with professional target only, in the end it will be released to the general public. I want to believe that in the next 2 years we are going to see this conversion technology for less than 1000$, so I can afford one.
And my last advice to you is that you shouldn't be bother with things like this. As you know, technologies like HD TVs were criticized by many when they were released, and we all know the improvements of HD compared with the earlier technology.
Deja Vu, Josh Z and kimg1453 like this.
post #88 of 157 Old 07-10-2014, 06:40 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Two people on this board have used the Teranex product and liked it.

Nobody on this board has used the Teranex product and not liked it.

I am accustomed to forming an opinion about a product on the basis of using it. Silly me.
Deja Vu and kimg1453 like this.
post #89 of 157 Old 07-10-2014, 07:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CARTmen View Post
I really can't understand why are you having so many problems with Deja Vu's opinions. I thought we all could write our opinions on this forum, and we didn't have to corroborate them with somebody's text from other page . Do I have to shut up if I think anaglyph 3D is the best one for me? I think not. I have the right to say it, even if no one have ever said it online and I don't have a source to show. It's my opinion.
The OP asked if onboard converters are sufficient. Deja Vu is one of the few qualified to know and qualified to answer specific questions. But instead of sharing his knowledge, he decides to share his emotional reactions and third party testimonials from people I've never heard of.

Quote:
And as have already been said you should try it before you criticize so much.
I'm not criticizing it. I'm asking about it, and nobody's giving me answers. Nobody has honest proof, nobody has ever described what trickery it uses. Nobody has ever talked about its flaws. It's insane! It's like owning one makes you part of a cult sworn to secrecy, and anyone who can't afford one is just some low-life peasant.

Quote:
Or if you have another alternative better than this one you should point it.
I'm not here to help you find the best realtime converter. I'm here to hear the truth about how the Teranex works, how well it works, and what it looks like. I'm here to search for evidence so I can form an opinion of it myself.

My Videos

Last edited by cakefoo; 07-10-2014 at 08:09 PM.
post #90 of 157 Old 07-10-2014, 08:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Here's an offscreen pic of the Teranex in action, vertical misalignment everywhere. And you can't say it's because it's a moving shot- the abc logo is misaligned too.

I've shot and edited and aligned my own 3D for a couple years. That amount of vertical misalignment would ruin the clarity of the 3D and give me a headache.

My Videos

Last edited by cakefoo; 07-10-2014 at 08:19 PM.
Reply 3D Content
Gear in this thread - Z100 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page