Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 12 Old 07-06-2014, 09:45 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 283 Post(s)
Liked: 157
Amazon 3D Streaming

Surprised no one has posted this yet but Amazon now has a small collection of 3D streaming programs for rent. Do a search for "3D Rentals" or "3D streaming video" inside their app on a 3D compatible app player. I used the PS3.

The videos I tried are all SBS so be prepared to put your TV into SBS mode manually.

The rental price is $1.99 to 2.99 and much of the content is new very low budget stuff.

The search will turn up many first rate movies, like The Avengers under the 3D category but it is not 3D! Seems the ones at Amazon don't know what 3D movies are. But some are clearly labeled in the description you need a 3D Tv to watch and these are indeed 3D.

If you have Amazon Prime some rent for free. but happy hunting. Amazon Prime offerings are always changing.

There is even one program titled 3D popout for those of you who find this gimmick fun.

I suppose, the story is that while 3D is not dead, it is growing in available content. BUT, much of the new content is very poor low end productions with a couple of hidden gems. Check it out and if you find any good ones let us know. $1.99 isn't going to break the bank.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 07-29-2014, 09:32 AM

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Landis View Post
Surprised no one has posted this yet but Amazon now has a small collection of 3D streaming programs for rent. Do a search for "3D Rentals" or "3D streaming video" inside their app on a 3D compatible app player. I used the PS3.

The videos I tried are all SBS so be prepared to put your TV into SBS mode manually.

The rental price is $1.99 to 2.99 and much of the content is new very low budget stuff.

The search will turn up many first rate movies, like The Avengers under the 3D category but it is not 3D! Seems the ones at Amazon don't know what 3D movies are. But some are clearly labeled in the description you need a 3D Tv to watch and these are indeed 3D.

If you have Amazon Prime some rent for free. but happy hunting. Amazon Prime offerings are always changing.

There is even one program titled 3D popout for those of you who find this gimmick fun.

I suppose, the story is that while 3D is not dead, it is growing in available content. BUT, much of the new content is very poor low end productions with a couple of hidden gems. Check it out and if you find any good ones let us know. $1.99 isn't going to break the bank.
What kind of connectivity (router, cables, wired/wireless, carrier) do you have that allows you to stream 3D? Also, what about 4K?
post #3 of 12 Old 07-29-2014, 12:49 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

I have Comcast Business account with a guaranteed 20Mbs sustained download, unlimited. Cable modem feeds a Linksys router, WRT1900AC, my HT is hardwired Cat 5 to the router.

I don't do 4K.
post #4 of 12 Old 08-03-2014, 09:03 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Decided to try another Amazon 3D titles.

Perfect Sky is a collection of random 3D clips set to some rather blah music. The 4D quality was pretty good but not really in high resolution. The 90 minute piece opens with some whale-ocean clips that repeat and repeat and repeat, same scene over and over while the long selection of music continues. Then when that gets really old, they run the clip backwards and repeat and repeat and repeat. So I skip ahead about 20 minutes and see some fireworks and a different selection of music commonly referred to as elevator music. No natural fireworks sound was included. Somewhere along the way I fell asleep so I didn't see the end. It is a rental form $1.99 for 7 days so I'll have to try to suffer through this again to see what other boring stuff is in this title. The fireworks was actually much better 3D as it was very deep from filling the room to well behind the screen plane. I was curious as to how he did this sot as fireworks with extreme popout is near impossible to shoot. A closer look I see he used about 6 layers of 3D video shot telephoto and spaced them out on different Z-axis places along the depth line. Now that was creative. What was really funny was he ran some of the fireworks layers in reverse which made me laugh. All this was set to some unrelated quiet elevator music.

I don't know how to rate this since the story was non-existent, editing was lousy, but the 3D was decent.

If you wanted to test out what Amazon is offering in 3D SBS, here is a title you won't feel your wasted $1.99 on the rental.
post #5 of 12 Old 08-05-2014, 06:29 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Anyone here ever use Amazon instant rental on any title?

I just saw my bill for the $1.99 rental of Perfect Sky and Amazon charged me an additional 15% tax ( 30 cents ) on the rental. Our local sales tax is 7%. Even our Cable and satellite tax is only 11%. Thought I would check with otherts here first before contacting Amazon. RedBox only charges me 7%.
post #6 of 12 Old 08-06-2014, 06:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 633 Post(s)
Liked: 926
Quote:
Anyone here ever use Amazon instant rental on any title?

I just saw my bill for the $1.99 rental of Perfect Sky and Amazon charged me an additional 15% tax ( 30 cents ) on the rental. Our local sales tax is 7%. Even our Cable and satellite tax is only 11%. Thought I would check with otherts here first before contacting Amazon. RedBox only charges me 7%.
We stream the free ones often, and once in a while the charging ones, but I've never checked. But you've got me wondering if there is per-rental free (not %) embedded in here somewhere.

Java developers, when I saw what has been placed into Java 8 I was immediately reminded of how I've spent so much of my life trying to protect engineers from themselves. Lambda expressions are a horrible idea. Gentlemen: the goal isn't to make code readable for a competent mid-level engineer. The goal is to make code readable for a competent mid-level engineer exhausted and hopped up on caffeine at 3 am. What a disaster Java 8 is!
post #7 of 12 Old 08-06-2014, 07:54 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

I had to rent two TV show episodes last night to catch what I missed and those were not charged the tax. weird????
post #8 of 12 Old 08-07-2014, 12:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgm1024 View Post
We stream the free ones often, and once in a while the charging ones, but I've never checked. But you've got me wondering if there is per-rental free (not %) embedded in here somewhere.
How I find a list of the "free" 3D Streaming Video on Amazon Prime, or any other sources for that matter? Thanks
post #9 of 12 Old 08-07-2014, 10:02 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

I haven't found any "FREE" 3D streaming. There are a couple anaglyph titles and 2 SBS titles that I have found. You can search those titles and rent them for $1.99 for a few days. That's what I did. Just understand those titles really suck for story. At best it was an experiment to see what Amazon is doing in SBS. Netflix is light years ahead of Amazon for 3D Streaming.

Learn to use the search tool in Amazon with key words like 3D Rental You'll get a bunch of titles but most just come up because they have a reference to 3D but are really just 2D presentations. Dig into the descriptions and when it says 3D "Side By Side", you found one.
post #10 of 12 Old 08-07-2014, 11:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 633 Post(s)
Liked: 926
Quote:
I haven't found any "FREE" 3D streaming. There are a couple anaglyph titles and 2 SBS titles that I have found. You can search those titles and rent them for $1.99 for a few days. That's what I did. Just understand those titles really suck for story. At best it was an experiment to see what Amazon is doing in SBS. Netflix is light years ahead of Amazon for 3D Streaming.

Learn to use the search tool in Amazon with key words like 3D Rental You'll get a bunch of titles but most just come up because they have a reference to 3D but are really just 2D presentations. Dig into the descriptions and when it says 3D "Side By Side", you found one.
To be very clear, by "free" I meant "$0.00 with Amazon Prime subscription". Of those I've streamed a bunch of stuff. Most recently some star treks at night when my 10 y.o. can't sleep.

And the quality seems significantly higher than Netflix.

Java developers, when I saw what has been placed into Java 8 I was immediately reminded of how I've spent so much of my life trying to protect engineers from themselves. Lambda expressions are a horrible idea. Gentlemen: the goal isn't to make code readable for a competent mid-level engineer. The goal is to make code readable for a competent mid-level engineer exhausted and hopped up on caffeine at 3 am. What a disaster Java 8 is!
post #11 of 12 Old 08-07-2014, 01:55 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Maybe we need to say AP Free. For that matter none of the 3D titles I saw were AP Free.
tgm1024 likes this.
post #12 of 12 Old 08-07-2014, 03:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgm1024 View Post
To be very clear, by "free" I meant "$0.00 with Amazon Prime subscription". Of those I've streamed a bunch of stuff. Most recently some star treks at night when my 10 y.o. can't sleep.

And the quality seems significantly higher than Netflix.
Same here. I have Amazon Prime & Netflix streaming. I wanted to find out what 3D titles are available and "free" with those services/Subs/apps.
Reply 3D Content
Gear in this thread - WRT1900AC, by PriceGrabber.com