What video services and hardware platforms should I consider? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 3Likes
  • 1 Post By Roussi
  • 1 Post By Don Landis
  • 1 Post By Don Landis
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 Old 07-17-2014, 07:18 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
Drew Neilson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 21
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Question What video services and hardware platforms should I consider?

I need some help. I just inherited my brother’s old TV, an LG 47LW5700. It’s my first HDTV, and it supports 3D, so I’d like to watch some 3D content on this TV. I subscribe to Netflix’s streaming service, but as I understand it, Netflix doesn’t have major studio titles in 3D available for streaming. In addition, I was previously planning on buying a Blu-ray player and subscribing to their Blu-ray service, but I found out that Netflix doesn’t offer 3D Blu-rays. I don’t have cable or satellite TV because I don’t want to pay for channels that I’m not interested in, and also because I prefer on-demand streaming to broadcast-schedule-based TV. (I suppose I could use a DVR, but I still think that streaming is better because with streaming, you’re not limited to watching the programs you’ve recorded.)

What services should I consider, and what hardware platforms should I consider?

I just read that my TV supports 1080P/24, 1080P/30, and 1080P/60. It would be nice to be able to watch movies in 1080P and at the frame rate at which they were originally recorded, whatever that frame rate is.
Drew Neilson is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 16 Old 07-18-2014, 09:47 AM
Advanced Member
 
Roussi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: NW USA
Posts: 560
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 23
I hear VUDU has a good 3D selection (under "Collections"), and I see in Amazon reviews that the TV has VUDU support.

For disk rentals, consider http://www.3d-blurayrental.com/
old corps likes this.
Roussi is offline  
post #3 of 16 Old 07-18-2014, 06:18 PM
AVS Special Member
 
cinema13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 1,655
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked: 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew Neilson View Post
I found out that Netflix doesn’t offer 3D Blu-rays.
Netflix (and Redbox) do have a few 3D Blu-Rays to rent...but that is only because some titles have 2D and 3D on the same disc. Off the top of my head, some of them are I, FRANKENSTEIN, NURSE, DREDD, and HELLBENDERS.

cinema13 is offline  
post #4 of 16 Old 07-19-2014, 09:16 PM
AVS Club Gold
 
Don Landis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 1999
Location: Jacksonville, FL
Posts: 10,952
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked: 130
For 3D content, Vudu and Sony ( PS3) would have recent feature movies but these are quite expensive. Netflix ( with a PS3) would have about 60 3D programs, but many people here find the offerings uninteresting. Many are kids animations and they haven't offered anything new since April. Amazon just began to offer a couple streaming titles in 3D, but I checked them out and they were, well... awful. But the key hardware to have to view all of these streaming services is a PS3. ( Not the PS4) Then sign up for what you want. There are other devices that cost less and offer higher picture quality in 3D than the PS3 such as a WDTV box. It does not yet support Netflix 3D but does 2D Netflix with excellent quality. Still, my vote goes for the PS3 if you can only have one device to do the most. You'll also have 3D Blu Ray and 3D games with the PS3. An alternative is a good Blu Ray 3D player with smart apps. I'm not up on what each of these offer but you should try to find one with Netflix 3D and a good YT 3D app.

For the most selection, You Tube, had more 3D content than you could possibly watch in over a year. Some good, some not so good, but always something new for sure. You just have to be willing to search for them. So whatever hardware you get, be sure it has a good 3D You Tube app. My WDTV does excellent 3D YT quality and easy to access. But, my PS3 is a bit awkward to do YT 3D.
Drew Neilson likes this.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


Don Landis
Don Landis is online now  
post #5 of 16 Old 07-21-2014, 06:39 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
Drew Neilson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 21
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Thank you for your helpful response.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Landis View Post
But, my PS3 is a bit awkward to do YT 3D.
What do you mean?

Also, are the PS3's apps kept up-to-date? I just had an aweful experience chatting with LG customer service. I pasted the transcript below the dotted line for anyone who has time to read it; I only included the important part. Note: I replaced the customer service representative's name with "LG".

------------------------------------------------------------------------

4:21 PM Drew Neilson: So I inherited a TV from my brother, and have spent the last week or so setting it up and getting to know it.
4:22 PM Drew Neilson: It's the TV that I entered the model and serial number for.
4:23 PM Drew Neilson: However, I am finding problems with two of the Premium apps, which leads me to wonder how long it has been since these apps were last updated. My TV updated its firmware when I first set it up, so the firmware is up to date.
4:25 PM LG: I understand
4:25 PM Drew Neilson: I would like it if you could tell me whether Netflix and YouTube--the two Premium apps I mentioned--are kept up-to-date, or are new versions of those apps only available on new TVs
4:25 PM LG: I would be happy to help you with that.
4:26 PM LG: Is that happening with all apps or just those two?
4:26 PM Drew Neilson: In other words, do Netflix, YouTube, and LG bother to keep these apps up-to-date, or do they just expect you to buy a new TV every year.
4:27 PM Drew Neilson: Actually my question is about all of the pre-installed apps in general... does LG bother to keep them up-to-date, or do they just expect you to buy a new TV every year?
4:28 PM LG: If the applications are not loading at all it is due to our server maintenance
4:28 PM LG: We're aware of this issue that's happening due to the server maintenance that our website department is performing to our server which should be back up and running before the end of this week. It will automatically notify you when the software update is ready to fix this problem We do apologize for all the inconvenience this must have caused.
4:29 PM Drew Neilson: No no no this isn't about any particular PROBLEM, its a general question
4:30 PM LG: We don't update the applications since we are not the applications developers but each developer usually do updates to the apps
4:32 PM LG: Anyways I'll still make a report about your suggestion for our website/firmware department to review it
4:32 PM Drew Neilson: Ok. My reason for starting this conversation out with that question, was that the YouTube app isn't nearly as good as the YouTube web site (it works, generally speaking, but it is missing features that the web site has). Also, the Netflix app doesn't stream content in 3D, even when the content is 3D content, and this is a 3D TV.
4:33 PM LG: I see
4:34 PM Drew Neilson: Correct me if I am wrong, but I've come to the conclusion that the YouTube app is simply out-of-date, which is why I started this conversation asking if anyone takes care to update it, or do they just expect you to buy a new TV.
4:34 PM LG: sorry, the applications for this older model weren't updated by the developers
4:34 PM Drew Neilson: I think that that is so incredibly inconsiderate, it is offensive.
4:35 PM Drew Neilson: It's like they don't care about the devices that their customers already own, they just expect you to buy new stuff.
4:37 PM Drew Neilson: As for the Netflix app, it works, but as I said above, it doesn't stream content in 3D, even when the content is 3D content, and this is a 3D TV.
4:39 PM LG: The reason why it is like that is because Netflix was not broadcasting 3D signal in 2011 when this model was made therefore the TV does not have the capability to support the app with 3D and the added functions over the years. Only new models have that capacity.
4:39 PM LG: Is there anything else I can assist you with today?
4:40 PM Drew Neilson: So why hasn't Netflix bothered to update the app on THIS TV model, and not just newer models, to add 3D support?
4:40 PM Drew Neilson: Netflix OR LG, I should add
4:43 PM LG: For that question we advise you to contact Netflix directly for further assistance on updating their application for your TV model
4:44 PM LG: Anything else?
4:44 PM Drew Neilson: yes
4:47 PM Drew Neilson: I'm formulating my question
4:48 PM Drew Neilson: Since the YouTube app sucks, and the Netflix app doesn't support 3D, and no one bothers to update either of them, I've come to the conclusion that neither LG nor Netflix or YouTube bother to keep apps up to date.
4:49 PM LG: I understand
4:50 PM LG: I apologize on behalf of LG for any inconvenience this must have caused
4:51 PM Drew Neilson: I'm not happy about it, but I guess I have to buy some sort of new hardware. Not a new TV, but some sort of device like a Roku box, an Apple TV, a smart Blu-ray player, or something along those lines.
4:51 PM Drew Neilson: Something that has its own app platform, and one WHERE THEY BOTHER TO KEEP THEIR APPS UP-TO-DATE!
4:51 PM Drew Neilson: I'd like a recommendation from you.
4:54 PM Drew Neilson: Of those kinds of devices, which one has the best YouTube app?
4:56 PM LG: We have blu ray player model BP730 for example
4:56 PM LG: I'll provide the link for you to check out the models that we have with their specifications
4:56 PM LG: http://www.lg.com/us/blu-ray-players...blu-ray-player
4:57 PM Drew Neilson: is this a device where the apps are kept up to date?
4:58 PM Drew Neilson: That is a requirement.
4:59 PM LG: Updates are made for the applications that the TV can support
4:59 PM Drew Neilson: Please explain.
5:00 PM LG: I've explained several times already that this older 2011 model does not have the capability to support Netflix 3D
5:03 PM Drew Neilson: Are you telling me that if I were to buy an Apple TV or a Playstation 3, two devices which both support Netflix in 3D (according to Netflix's technical support), I would not be able to playback 3D content from those apps on this TV even though this TV DOES support 3D?
5:05 PM LG: No, if the external device can play Netflix 3D then it's ok because the TV can handle 3D signal but does not support Netflix 3D in the Netcast
5:08 PM LG: Is there anything else I can assist you with today?
5:09 PM Drew Neilson: So I need a recommendation for some sort of device... an Apple TV, a smart Blu-ray player, some sort of smart TV upgrade... where the apps are up-to-date and are KEPT up-to-date. And where the YouTube app is the best.
5:10 PM Drew Neilson: I asked that before, but you said "Updates are made for the applications that the TV can support", which confuses me, because the TV itself is irrelevant.
5:14 PM LG: I answered that because we were referring to the apps in the TV it self not external devices.
5:17 PM Drew Neilson: actually if you re-read the transcript of this chat, you will see that by that point I was already talking about external devices.
5:17 PM LG: I understand
5:18 PM Drew Neilson: so again, can you recommend anything?
5:19 PM LG: I've provided my recommendation already
5:19 PM LG: Is there anything else I can assist you with today?
5:19 PM LG: I also gave you a link for it
5:20 PM Drew Neilson: But you FAILED to tell me whether the apps are kept up-to-date on that Blu-ray player.
5:20 PM Drew Neilson: Are the apps kept up-to-date on that Blu-ray player?
5:22 PM LG: I explained that updates are sent out for the applications depending on their capacities so "Yes" the apps are updated in the blu ray player
5:24 PM Drew Neilson: Can you please explain what you mean when you say "updates are sent out for the applications depending on their capacities"? Whose capacities? The apps? The hardware? What?
5:24 PM LG: The blu ray player which is what we are referring to right now
5:25 PM LG: We don't make or develop apps like I've already explained also
5:25 PM LG: We only make the hardware
5:27 PM Drew Neilson: So "updates are sent out for the applications depending on their capacities" means updates are sent out for the applications depending on the capacity of the HARDWARE, is that right?
5:30 PM Drew Neilson: I'm asking for you to clarify
5:30 PM LG: Right
5:30 PM Drew Neilson: Are you still there?
5:32 PM Drew Neilson: So basically, if I buy an LG Blu-ray player, the situation with the apps might be exactly the same as it is with my TV, with the developers being responsible for updating their apps, according to you. Is that right?
5:33 PM LG: That's right
5:33 PM Drew Neilson: Then that's no better than what I have now.
5:35 PM Drew Neilson: Do you have any other recommendations for external hardware or smart TV upgrades?
5:36 PM LG: Sorry, we don't
5:40 PM LG: Is there anything else I can assist you with today?
5:40 PM Drew Neilson: No, that is all that I needed.
5:41 PM LG: It has been a pleasure to assist you today. Should you have any further questions or concerns, please do not hesitate to contact us again via Live Chat or phone at 18002430000. Thank you for choosing LG Electronics. We appreciate your business. Have a great day!
5:41 PM Notice: LG has exited the chat session.

Last edited by Drew Neilson; 07-21-2014 at 07:09 PM.
Drew Neilson is offline  
post #6 of 16 Old 07-22-2014, 08:15 AM
AVS Club Gold
 
Don Landis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 1999
Location: Jacksonville, FL
Posts: 10,952
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked: 130
Drew: Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Landis
But, my PS3 is a bit awkward to do YT 3D.

What do you mean?


Specifically, the YT app on the PS3 supports 3D in SBS mode. The reason I say it is awkward is because my PS3 will not allow my 3D projector ( a Sony VPL VW90ES ) to be put into 3D SBS mode easily. YT app on my WDTV streaming player has no problem with my Projector seeing the SBS signal and I simply select that from the projector menu. What happens in the PS3 YT app is the 3D projector displays the SBS video as all devices show, but when I go to put the Projector in manual SBS mode that option isn't present. It only offers Top Bottom or 2D to 3D conversion. If I put a recording of SBS video in the PS3 by way of a DVD with SBS video on it, I CAN switch the Projector to SBS mode and get 3D, then if I switch from the DVD to YT app, the SBS mode is still offered and I can watch YT 3D from the PS3. That convoluted work around I figured out is why I said it is awkward. As you might guess, I now just use the WDTV streaming box that does an excellent job of playing all 3D content.


Thanks for your logged transcript of your discussion with the CSR at LG. It was humorous at some parts. I was fascinated by what application you used to create that log. ( a topic for another discussion)

Back about the time of your LG TV, ( 2011 ) I was introduced to an engineer/ CEO of a company who makes 3D equipment that uses apps. (Withholding name and device as I promised confidentiality ) I had many of the same questions you asked of the LG CSR. The way this engineer described the process was that Netflix gives him the specs and parameters to write the app. They do not supply the actual app. As was described by your LG CSR contact, the device has certain hardware limitations and special requirements that differ from other devices so this part of the app software is unique. My engineer said he wrote the app that appears on the device, not Netflix. He updates the app's function and operation, not Netflix. Netflix only serves the cataloging, and content. They do not write the actual code that polls the Netflix servers. Until recently, with Apostate's comments on HTML5, I was under the impression that work flow had not changed. I kind of got the impression from the LG CSR that process remains the same for older LG TV's. I thought he did answer your main concern that LG will not be able to add Netflix 3D app to the 2011 set because the 2011 3D set is not capable of supporting the 3D app code. This makes perfect sense to me.

Think of this explanation I got from a PS3 engineer, said to be the man who actually developed the 3D capability for the apps in the PS3. He said, the reason the PS3 was able to do 3D but limited to 720 and will never do 1080 3D is due to a limitation of the memory in the frame buffer for the apps to video. The Blu Ray and game disk player uses different prepackaged frame buffer that does support it. Therefore, just because the P)S3 can do 1080 3D for games and movies on disk, doesn't mean it will ever be able to do 3D at 1080 for streaming internet content.

To sum it up, while many devices may be able to be reprogrammed with updated firmware to do new features, they will always be limited by the hardware that can't be updated. The work around you can do is to add modern low cost devices that will feed your older 3D TV with a 3D signal that the older 3D TV does support internally. As I said earlier to you, I do this by using a PS3 and a WDTV. that combination solves all my content playback needs. If I had only one device to buy, it would be the PS3. But this device is a bit awkward handling some content and has resolution restrictions. Therefore I have augmented with a WDTV streaming player and an OPPO 3D BluRay player. With these three devices, there is hardly any 3D content I can't tap including 3D iso file playback from hard disk storage. Other than 4K, this seems to be fairly future proof combo as well. But, always open to suggestions. Presently, I am very happy with what I have assembled. It works for me.

Drew- you are in a beginning learning mode with 3D. Try to be patient. We are only here to help. But not all solutions you will like and many will be frustrating. And as far as CSR's are concerned, they mostly respond from a playbook. I rarely contact them except for stuff they are expert on like RMA's and stuff I should have read the manual to know. When it comes to the engineering and design limitations, I go to CES and NAB every year and work hard to find and meet the actual engineers behind the devices. The trade shows seem to be the only way you can access info at this level. Occasionally, they give me a business card with their private phone number and e-mail if I have further questions. I have this level of contact at Sony, DTS, Dolby, Sony CS, and a couple others. I also am a beta tester for Sony CS. On overall corporate stuff, I am a stock holder with Netflix, Disney, and trade Dish Network and DirecTV from time to time. My only info with these is from share holder reports by the company execs. I did meet a Netflix sales engineer at the Samsung booth at CES 2 years ago, however. That is where I first learned of the coming 4K and 3D plans for Netflix.
Drew Neilson likes this.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


Don Landis
Don Landis is online now  
post #7 of 16 Old 07-22-2014, 10:10 AM
Member
 
Isnoreatmovies's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 48
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew Neilson View Post
I need some help. I just inherited my brother’s old TV, an LG 47LW5700. It’s my first HDTV, and it supports 3D, so I’d like to watch some 3D content on this TV. I subscribe to Netflix’s streaming service, but as I understand it, Netflix doesn’t have major studio titles in 3D available for streaming. In addition, I was previously planning on buying a Blu-ray player and subscribing to their Blu-ray service, but I found out that Netflix doesn’t offer 3D Blu-rays. I don’t have cable or satellite TV because I don’t want to pay for channels that I’m not interested in, and also because I prefer on-demand streaming to broadcast-schedule-based TV. (I suppose I could use a DVR, but I still think that streaming is better because with streaming, you’re not limited to watching the programs you’ve recorded.)

What services should I consider, and what hardware platforms should I consider?

I just read that my TV supports 1080P/24, 1080P/30, and 1080P/60. It would be nice to be able to watch movies in 1080P and at the frame rate at which they were originally recorded, whatever that frame rate is.


I'm pretty sure you should be good with the TV, just make sure that whatever hardware you pick is 3D and supports the proper program sources. I know nothing about playstation, don't care for games myself at this point. If it were me, I'd pick up a current 3D Blu ray player that supports Netflix, Amazon and VUDU apps and you'd probably be covered. It's not the TV that needs to support the apps, it's whatever player you pick and it will send a 3D signal out for the TV to use. We use VUDU for regular video, hadn't tried the 3D yet but if it's as good as their regular app it would be the one to go with. Amazon 3D worked fine for us a couple times.
Isnoreatmovies is offline  
post #8 of 16 Old 07-23-2014, 02:51 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
Drew Neilson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 21
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Landis View Post
Specifically, the YT app on the PS3 supports 3D in SBS mode. The reason I say it is awkward is because my PS3 will not allow my 3D projector ( a Sony VPL VW90ES ) to be put into 3D SBS mode easily. YT app on my WDTV streaming player has no problem with my Projector seeing the SBS signal and I simply select that from the projector menu. What happens in the PS3 YT app is the 3D projector displays the SBS video as all devices show, but when I go to put the Projector in manual SBS mode that option isn't present. It only offers Top Bottom or 2D to 3D conversion. If I put a recording of SBS video in the PS3 by way of a DVD with SBS video on it, I CAN switch the Projector to SBS mode and get 3D, then if I switch from the DVD to YT app, the SBS mode is still offered and I can watch YT 3D from the PS3. That convoluted work around I figured out is why I said it is awkward. As you might guess, I now just use the WDTV streaming box that does an excellent job of playing all 3D content.
Does the PS3 require this workaround on other 3D TVs as well?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Landis View Post
Thanks for your logged transcript of your discussion with the CSR at LG. It was humorous at some parts. [...] Back about the time of your LG TV, ( 2011 ) I was introduced to an engineer/ CEO of a company who makes 3D equipment that uses apps. (Withholding name and device as I promised confidentiality ) I had many of the same questions you asked of the LG CSR. The way this engineer described the process was that Netflix gives him the specs and parameters to write the app. They do not supply the actual app. As was described by your LG CSR contact, the device has certain hardware limitations and special requirements that differ from other devices so this part of the app software is unique. My engineer said he wrote the app that appears on the device, not Netflix. He updates the app's function and operation, not Netflix. Netflix only serves the cataloging, and content. They do not write the actual code that polls the Netflix servers. Until recently, with Apostate's comments on HTML5, I was under the impression that work flow had not changed.
Who is Apostate?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Landis View Post
I kind of got the impression from the LG CSR that process remains the same for older LG TV's. I thought he did answer your main concern that LG will not be able to add Netflix 3D app to the 2011 set because the 2011 3D set is not capable of supporting the 3D app code. This makes perfect sense to me.

Think of this explanation I got from a PS3 engineer, said to be the man who actually developed the 3D capability for the apps in the PS3. He said, the reason the PS3 was able to do 3D but limited to 720 and will never do 1080 3D is due to a limitation of the memory in the frame buffer for the apps to video. The Blu Ray and game disk player uses different prepackaged frame buffer that does support it. Therefore, just because the P)S3 can do 1080 3D for games and movies on disk, doesn't mean it will ever be able to do 3D at 1080 for streaming internet content.
If the PS3 cannot stream 3D video at 1080p, then that is probably going to be a deal-breaker for me. I do know that the PS3 has had a few revisions. After the original model--which some people call the "fat" model--came a slim model, and then a super-slim model. (Edit: actually, I think that there were even more versions.) Do all of them have this limitation?

Using the Vudu app on my TV, I can watch 2 minute previews of the 3D content that they offer, and I can watch it in 3D in their HDX 1080p format. I haven't yet rented or bought anything, but that's another story. If I can watch video in 3D in Vudu's highest quality on my 2011 TV, why can't the same be true for the Netflix app on my TV?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Landis View Post
To sum it up, while many devices may be able to be reprogrammed with updated firmware to do new features, they will always be limited by the hardware that can't be updated. The work around you can do is to add modern low cost devices that will feed your older 3D TV with a 3D signal that the older 3D TV does support internally. As I said earlier to you, I do this by using a PS3 and a WDTV. that combination solves all my content playback needs. If I had only one device to buy, it would be the PS3. But this device is a bit awkward handling some content and has resolution restrictions. Therefore I have augmented with a WDTV streaming player and an OPPO 3D BluRay player. With these three devices, there is hardly any 3D content I can't tap including 3D iso file playback from hard disk storage. Other than 4K, this seems to be fairly future proof combo as well. But, always open to suggestions. Presently, I am very happy with what I have assembled. It works for me.
Are there any devices that stream content in both 2D and 3D at 1080p24 and at any other frame rate that content is available in (I assume that that includes 1080p/30 and possibly 1080p48 and 1080p/60)? Devices that have a large app ecosystem, with apps that are updated frequently AND are kept up-to-date for a reasonably long time? Is Apple TV one of those devices?

And, optionally, devices that also serve as 3D Blu-ray players? (Obviously, Apple TV isn't a Blu-ray player. I can, of course, buy a separate 3D Blu-ray player.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Landis View Post
I did meet a Netflix sales engineer at the Samsung booth at CES 2 years ago, however. That is where I first learned of the coming 4K and 3D plans for Netflix.
Does Netflix have more 3D content coming than they currently have, either streaming or on Blu-ray?
---------------------------------------------------------------------
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Landis View Post
I was fascinated by what application you used to create that log. ( a topic for another discussion)
Just out of curiosity, how did you know what applications I used?

I didn't use any special chat logging software. The chat took place in a browser window, on LG's web site. At the end of the chat, I selected to have the transcript emailed to me. Then I logged into my Gmail account, copied the relevant part of the chat, and if I recall correctly, I think I pasted it into Notepad to remove unnecessary formatting, then cut-and-pasted it into Word to do a Find/Replace to replace the CSR's name with "LG". Normally when I need to use Word I use Microsoft's Word Web App, which is free but doesn't have as many features as the paid version of Word... but it seems that the Word Web App doesn't have Find/Replace, so I had to resort to using my old copy of Word XP. Normally I don't use Word XP any more, since it is no longer receiving security updates, but I figure that since I first pasted the chat transcript into Notepad, any scripts or other potential vulnerabilities were stripped out, leaving only the text for me to cut-and-paste into Word XP. After pasting it into Word and using "Find/Replace", I copied and pasted it into the form for starting a new thread on www.avsforum.com.

Last edited by Drew Neilson; 07-23-2014 at 11:29 AM.
Drew Neilson is offline  
post #9 of 16 Old 07-23-2014, 04:04 PM
AVS Special Member
 
mdavej's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 9,814
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 344 Post(s)
Liked: 352
The short answer to who keeps apps up to date is nobody. That's why I buy new streaming boxes every couple of years and sell my old ones. LG is not unique in this respect.

I suggest you watch some 3D content before going to much more trouble and expense to get it. If you're like most, you'll find it underwhelming, to say the least, especially on such a small screen.
mdavej is offline  
post #10 of 16 Old 07-23-2014, 09:25 PM
AVS Club Gold
 
Don Landis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 1999
Location: Jacksonville, FL
Posts: 10,952
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked: 130
Does the PS3 require this workaround on other 3D TVs as well?

Don't know. Never tried it with a different 3D TV. It might just be an issue with my model 3d Projector.

Do all of them have this limitation?

I believe they do. But I believe the best combo is to have a PS3 and the WDTV. This way for apps like Vudu and others you can get 3D in 1080P and use the PS3 for stuff not available on the WDTV, such as Netflix, Sony Store 3D, BluRay 3D player that does 1080p and more. FWIW- I have the original "Fat" PS3. A good 3D BluRay Player may offer all you need, but I can't advise you on which model does it all. If you find one, that would be the way to go.

Does Netflix have more 3D content coming than they currently have, either streaming or on Blu-ray? The logical answer is that the future is a long time and I would say that based on recent experience, more content will appear for 3D. Netflix will offer what they see is popular and will obtain licenses if the cost is reasonable. As for 3D BluRay disks, I know that Netflix desires to end all mail order disk rentals. The cost keeps going up and the revenue keeps declining. Stock holders are pushing for a complete shutdown of the mail order rental end of the business. Two and a half years ago, Reed Hastings, CEO said as much but the media blasted him for it and the stock got killed. I think he was too early with trying to spin off the disk rental. Today, streaming has proven itself as a profitable and quality endeavor. Netflix will continue to expand streaming media and will keep Disk rental alive until they just can't justify the cost.

Just out of curiosity, how did you know what applications I used? I didn't. I was hinting, I would like to know. I was hoping you knew of some voice to text real time app for your smart phone. I have used your method too. Best I have here is a phone conversation recorder that can save a conversation to an audio file. Transcribing can be done in real time but that software is expensive.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


Don Landis
Don Landis is online now  
post #11 of 16 Old 07-24-2014, 06:12 AM
 
Apostate's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 930
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked: 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew Neilson View Post
Who is Apostate?
He is the mostest handsomest guy in 3D forum.

In all seriousness, there is a reason why I jokingly call Don Landis the Ayatollah of 3D Fora. Don knows his stuff! When it comes to 3D, it pays to pay mind to what Don says... except concerning the state of Netflix 3D.
Apostate is offline  
post #12 of 16 Old 07-24-2014, 07:58 AM
AVS Club Gold
 
Don Landis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 1999
Location: Jacksonville, FL
Posts: 10,952
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked: 130
"When it comes to 3D, it pays to pay mind to what Don says... except concerning the state of Netflix 3D. "

Hey friend- You'll be thrilled to know I sold all my positions in Netflix Monday ahead of the earnings call. Please don't be envious but that was a long wait to make $354 per share. ( since Jan 2013 when they announced adding 3D and 4K at the Samsung Booth at CES) Netflix continues to do well but I am waiting to see what happens to the stock before jumping back in. My opinion on Netflix is the big picture, not just 3D. But 3D will continue to be the recipient of businesses that learn from their mistakes. While the company is doing well, the stock is going through a healthy pull back before it will turn and head even higher.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


Don Landis
Don Landis is online now  
post #13 of 16 Old 07-24-2014, 08:15 AM
AVS Club Gold
 
Don Landis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 1999
Location: Jacksonville, FL
Posts: 10,952
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked: 130
Drew- I saw this in another section and thought you'd be interested to know about it:

http://www.engadget.com/2014/07/23/ps4-blu-ray-3d/

Interesting, what it took to get Sony to get off their butts and add the 3D feature as promised last Fall. You may want to wait to see what other 3D features will be added to the PS4 now that a move to 3D BluRay has been added.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


Don Landis
Don Landis is online now  
post #14 of 16 Old 07-24-2014, 10:38 AM
 
Apostate's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 930
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked: 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Landis View Post
"When it comes to 3D, it pays to pay mind to what Don says... except concerning the state of Netflix 3D. "

Hey friend- You'll be thrilled to know I sold all my positions in Netflix Monday ahead of the earnings call. Please don't be envious but that was a long wait to make $354 per share. ( since Jan 2013 when they announced adding 3D and 4K at the Samsung Booth at CES) Netflix continues to do well but I am waiting to see what happens to the stock before jumping back in. My opinion on Netflix is the big picture, not just 3D. But 3D will continue to be the recipient of businesses that learn from their mistakes. While the company is doing well, the stock is going through a healthy pull back before it will turn and head even higher.
Nice! I think you made the right move. I just read an article about Netflix's next quarter going to be bad due to cost of European expansion. I think you are right that the stock is going have a pullback. I am still kicking myself for not getting in last time Netflix pulled back (Quixster).
Apostate is offline  
post #15 of 16 Old 07-28-2014, 12:45 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
Drew Neilson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 21
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Landis View Post
Drew- I saw this in another section and thought you'd be interested to know about it:

http://www.engadget.com/2014/07/23/ps4-blu-ray-3d/

Interesting, what it took to get Sony to get off their butts and add the 3D feature as promised last Fall. You may want to wait to see what other 3D features will be added to the PS4 now that a move to 3D BluRay has been added.
Thanks Don for that link to the info about PS4 and Xbox One finally getting 3D Blu-ray support. Pretty cool, but that same page says that the PS4 doesn't support MP3s. I'm a Spotify Premium subscriber. Spotify streams content from the Spotify service but also plays local files on your PC or device, including MP3s. If the PS4 doesn't support MP3s, does that mean that Spotify's client for the PS4 doesn't support MP3s either?

Are there any streaming devices (including 3D Blu-ray players and game consoles) that stream both 2D and 3D content and that support 1080p24 and 1080p30 output to my TV? How about other frame rates that content might be available in (I'm thinking about recent movies filmed and shown at high frame rates, such as The Hobbit)? I *think* that my TV supports 1080p24, 1080p30, and 1080p60.

How about a device that either has a QWERTY remote control, or supports keyboards, either wired or, preferably, wireless? So that it doesn't take so long to search for movie names, YouTube videos, etc.

Also, according to my last chat with Netflix, the PS4 supports Netflix streaming in 3D (hopefully at full 1080p24, 1080p30, and other frame rates; I didn't ask about that). However, the Xbox One does not support Netflix streaming in 3D. I wonder if that will change now that the Xbox One supports 3D Blu-ray discs.

Thanks for all of your help

Last edited by Drew Neilson; 07-28-2014 at 01:43 AM. Reason: Added my question about QWERTY remote controls and keyboards
Drew Neilson is offline  
post #16 of 16 Old 07-28-2014, 07:01 AM
AVS Club Gold
 
Don Landis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 1999
Location: Jacksonville, FL
Posts: 10,952
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked: 130
Drew- Keep in mind that if your goal is to have everything you can imagine in one device, you may never reach that goal. I can't comment much on the PS4 as I don't have one and only saw the 3D BluRay info in passing. I didn't know about the Netflix 3D streaming. It is good to learn about that. I too, am curious if it will do Netflix and Vudu 3D at the 1080p rate. If it is like the PS3 it will do Games on disk at 1080 60p in 3D.
I don't do MP3's here except in the edit suite for music library stuff and then it is just for video editing. As for details on what is happening with the PS4, I suggest you get with active owners in those threads and post your questions there.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


Don Landis
Don Landis is online now  
Reply 3D Content

Tags
3d blu-ray , 3d streaming

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off