Forum Jump: 
 5Likes

post #1 of 39 Old 07-23-2014, 07:00 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 358 Post(s)
Liked: 743
Noah 3D available in Hong Kong (Region A)

Apparently Noah 3D was indeed released in the Hong Kong market (as was reported elsewhere), and here is a US amazon market place listing for it.

This version is listed as Region A, which includes all of north and south America, so it'll play, but it is also listed as being subtitled.

When looking at the description, the subtitles are available in multiple languages, including English. However, when a BD is advertised as having subtitles, is it something that all BDPs know how to turn off?

Grow milkweed. The Monarch Butterfly requires it, and its numbers are dwindling fast.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 39 Old 07-24-2014, 09:52 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 13
In my experience under the subtitle menu there is an option to turn subtitles off.
post #3 of 39 Old 07-24-2014, 10:02 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NSX1992 View Post
In my experience under the subtitle menu there is an option to turn subtitles off.
My question is more about whether or not that's a guarantee or not.

Grow milkweed. The Monarch Butterfly requires it, and its numbers are dwindling fast.
post #4 of 39 Old 07-28-2014, 10:42 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 39
I can turn subtitles on and off on my Sony Bluray player for other movies. If you couldn't, there would need to be a subtitled version for each language, versus a single version with overlaid subtitles...my thoughts anyway...

That said, in a deeper search, I saw an SBS-bluray version floating around the torrents, though I have never downloaded anything from those sites.

Last edited by threed123; 07-28-2014 at 10:46 AM.
post #5 of 39 Old 07-28-2014, 11:37 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by threed123 View Post
I can turn subtitles on and off on my Sony Bluray player for other movies. If you couldn't, there would need to be a subtitled version for each language, versus a single version with overlaid subtitles...my thoughts anyway....
I realize my question was counter-intuitive, but I was taking into account the possibility that the blu-ray on-disk programming would allow you to swap out the subtitles but not remove them altogether. Sounds like I'd be safe though.

post #6 of 39 Old 07-29-2014, 01:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 54
Does anyone have any insights into the quality of the 3D on this title. It gives me pause that the studios didn't even bother with a stateside theatrical or home video 3D release.
post #7 of 39 Old 07-29-2014, 02:23 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyDP View Post
Does anyone have any insights into the quality of the 3D on this title. It gives me pause that the studios didn't even bother with a stateside theatrical or home video 3D release.
I was wondering that too. Stuff seems to be released overseas more these days. Even Frozen didn't have a blu-Ray release in the US.
post #8 of 39 Old 07-30-2014, 01:55 PM

My disc is on it's way. I will let you all know...hopefully soon.
TonyDP, old corps and tgm1024 like this.
post #9 of 39 Old 07-31-2014, 10:10 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
The 3D is fine ,there is even popout. The colors are not bright, somewhat depressing.
post #10 of 39 Old 08-01-2014, 10:46 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 148 Post(s)
Liked: 129
I saw the 2D last night and it did look pretty dark to be very exciting 3D. But once again, I got into the story and watching this in flat world didn't annoy me. When it comes available in 3D I will get it just the same.

To those who ordered it from Asia, I look forward to your report. Hope what you get won't be some low budget pirated copy.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Don Landis
post #11 of 39 Old 08-06-2014, 01:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Quote:
The 3D is fine. There seems to be a much bigger demand for 3D outside of North America. Need for Speed also looks very good in 3D -- the movie isn't up to much but worth seeing for the cars and the 3D.
post #12 of 39 Old 08-06-2014, 02:20 PM

Got my copy--now for the review:

Received my copy from Hong Kong today- 8/5/14. I ordered it on 7/29/14, so it came through USPS relatively quick. I watched parts of it on my PC with 27" passive 3D. It is in 16:9, which I like. The colors are muted, but I can see that was a director's choice to give that "old" look--not a fault with the copy. The disc appears to be a true commercial version bluray, though only the 3D version is on the disc. The 3D is quite good for a conversion. The people are rounded as they should be, and the depth queues are very good. The sound, it's DTS, but I can't tell yet until I show it on the projector in the basement.

All in all, I'm scratching my head as to why this version was not shown in the U.S., since the storyline would be same in 2D as in 3D. Does the 3D help the storyline--I think so, it sure gives more realism and pluck to the fight sequences.
For those of you that are real 3D fans, I would say this is worth the bucks spent, but the story might put you off. I would watch the 2D version first. If you like that then go for the 3D version.
And now, (drum roll), the subtitles, which appear to be in about 12 languages including English-CAN BE TURNED OFF, and the movie uses the original actors' voices.

Spoiler Alert: Don't read the next paragraph if you do not want me to give you my two cents about the movie plot.

As for the story: Very confusing to me. Though the director tried to pull in the bible, there were confusing uses of modern technology--traveling through war-damaged oil field, weird rock angels that watch over man--what the?, and Noah being constantly under the pain of the universe--the guy really needed some tums, and these weird stars showing in the sky in the daytime-huh? Was this earth or some other alien planet that becomes earth after the flood--you be the judge. I'm not sure this is watchable all the way through considering the story line, but the cgi is good to very good and there are exciting parts.
old corps likes this.

Last edited by threed123; 08-06-2014 at 04:20 PM.
post #13 of 39 Old 08-06-2014, 02:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked: 103
Quote:

Spoiler Alert: Don't read the next paragraph if you do not want me to give you my two cents about the movie plot.

As for the story: Very confusing to me. Though the director tried to pull in the bible, there was this confusing mess of modern technology--traveling through war-damaged oil field, the weird rock angels that watch over man--what the?,
Everyone singles out the rock creatures. But, according to Genesis, it states that "...there were giants IN the earth in those days." Is it that outrageous for an imaginative director to assume that, if the are IN the earth, that they might consist of rocks, dirt, ores, etc. etc? Perfectly (even sensibly) valid as any other interpretation. An Earth probably did seem like another planet in the days before the continents seperated. Stars would have been positioned differently as well. As far as seeing stars during the day, there was no pollution or other man-made junk. Even today, we sometimes see the moon during the day...why NOT stars in a pollution-free sky?

I do wish the Hong Kong disc cost $1 more...then I could get it with free shipping!

post #14 of 39 Old 08-06-2014, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cinema13 View Post
Everyone singles out the rock creatures. But, according to Genesis, it states that "...there were giants IN the earth in those days." Is it that outrageous for an imaginative director to assume that, if the are IN the earth, that they might consist of rocks, dirt, ores, etc. etc? Perfectly (even sensibly) valid as any other interpretation. An Earth probably did seem like another planet in the days before the continents seperated. Stars would have been positioned differently as well. As far as seeing stars during the day, there was no pollution or other man-made junk. Even today, we sometimes see the moon during the day...why NOT stars in a pollution-free sky?

I do wish the Hong Kong disc cost $1 more...then I could get it with free shipping!

I do remember now that that was stated in the beginning--and I haven't read the bible in years , but it just made it look too hokey/gamey for me. That said, we have to remember that the bible was interpreted into English from the original Hebrew by monks many years after 1 A.D., and that a lot of the original meaning "might" be lost. As I say again. I thought the disc was as well done as any commercial 3D disk including the conversion, so it's the story that might be the sell/no sell here. As for the shipping cost. Seriously, to have it in about a week from Hong Kong is well worth the $3.99 shipping.
post #15 of 39 Old 08-06-2014, 07:42 PM
AVS Club Gold

threed123-
I found some parts of the movie "Hollywood" effected so I want to go back and do some review from the original writings. One of the misconceptions that people don't get is the size of the Arc but it was stated in the Bible as 300 Cubits long, a Cubit being the length from the elboe to the tip of the finger. That would make the length somewhere between 450' to 580' depending on which tribe was used as the people varied greatly in size, just like today. I recall from the Hebrew it was the longer cubit. In the movie, the length appeared quite a bit longer. Today, the largest cruise ship is 1188 ft. long. Allure of the Seas.
As for the rock Giants, I think that is a bit of a stretch. No pun intended. Most likely these were dedicated servants, large humans that were 9 ft tall or so that lived in caves. That is not so unrealistic. Look at our Basketball players today, often approaching 8 ft tall.

Based on your review, I went ahead and ordered it. Thanks for taking point on this. I hope the dark scenery will be OK on my projected image.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Don Landis
post #16 of 39 Old 08-07-2014, 06:17 AM

It seemed to be as dark (visually) as Prometheus to me, and...in a very weird way, the story lines cross.
post #17 of 39 Old 08-09-2014, 07:18 AM
AVS Club Gold

I just got my "delivery estimate" from the Chinese Flea Market, aka Amazon and it said Sept 18th. How long did yours take vs. delivery estimate?

I hope it isn't being transported on the backs of a million Chinese Fleas.

Don Landis
post #18 of 39 Old 08-09-2014, 07:26 AM

Hah...mine came 6 days from day of ordering by USPS.
post #19 of 39 Old 08-20-2014, 04:24 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 64
Quote:
I do remember now that that was stated in the beginning--and I haven't read the bible in years , but it just made it look too hokey/gamey for me. That said, we have to remember that the bible was interpreted into English from the original Hebrew by monks many years after 1 A.D., and that a lot of the original meaning "might" be lost. As I say again. I thought the disc was as well done as any commercial 3D disk including the conversion, so it's the story that might be the sell/no sell here. As for the shipping cost. Seriously, to have it in about a week from Hong Kong is well worth the $3.99 shipping.
Actually no meaning has been lost through translation. The finding of the Dead Sea Scrolls has proved the accuracy of the current translations in our hands to 99.99% with only the most minor of discrepancies. I don't know if you believe in a God who created the universe, but I'm pretty sure He would at least be able to protect His Word and keep it intact the way he intends for us to see it or else He would not be that powerful at all if you think about it

"Eleven caves were discovered containing nearly 1,100 ancient documents which included several scrolls and more than 100,000 fragments.{2} Fragments from every Old Testament book except for the book of Esther were discovered. The majority of the texts were written in the Hebrew language, but there were also manuscripts written in Aramaic and Greek"

"After years of careful study, it has been concluded that the Dead Sea Scrolls give substantial confirmation that our Old Testament has been accurately preserved. The scrolls were found to be almost identical with the Masoretic text. Hebrew Scholar Millar Burrows writes, "It is a matter of wonder that through something like one thousand years the text underwent so little alteration. As I said in my first article on the scroll, ‘Herein lies its chief importance, supporting the fidelity of the Masoretic tradition"{6}

"A significant comparison study was conducted with the Isaiah Scroll written around 100 B.C. that was found among the Dead Sea documents and the book of Isaiah found in the Masoretic text. After much research, scholars found that the two texts were practically identical. Most variants were minor spelling differences, and none affected the meaning of the text"

Source:
http://www.probe.org/site/c.fdKEIMNs..._our_Bible.htm

https://bible.org/article/dead-sea-scrolls

post #20 of 39 Old 08-20-2014, 09:20 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Landis View Post
I just got my "delivery estimate" from the Chinese Flea Market, aka Amazon and it said Sept 18th. How long did yours take vs. delivery estimate?

I hope it isn't being transported on the backs of a million Chinese Fleas.
I hope you don't open it and discover it to be a box filled with a million Chinese Fleas.
gamermwm likes this.

post #21 of 39 Old 08-20-2014, 10:48 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Interesting. I've bought two 3D blurays from the Chinese Flea Market and they came within a week. Perhaps, success has cleared out their inventory for a while. Others have posted similar success on this thread as well.
post #22 of 39 Old 08-20-2014, 02:30 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Angry

Quote:
All in all, I'm scratching my head as to why this version was not shown in the U.S.
Stop scratching because it appears the studios don't want to be bothered with putting out a bluray 3D disc that's not going to bring in mega bucks. They are giving up on 3D in the US. I hate to see our 3D bluray stream drying up but it appears to be going fast. No Maleficent, no Need For Speed, No Street Dance 2, maybe Frozen (If Disney feels like it). They forced us to pay a premium for the bluray 3D discs when they do release them I guess we should be happy to pay a premium to import the ones they withhold from us. At least they could make them all region free. Yes I'm pissed.
post #23 of 39 Old 08-20-2014, 03:25 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFMike View Post
Stop scratching because it appears the studios don't want to be bothered with putting out a bluray 3D disc that's not going to bring in mega bucks. They are giving up on 3D in the US. I hate to see our 3D bluray stream drying up but it appears to be going fast. No Maleficent, no Need For Speed, No Street Dance 2, maybe Frozen (If Disney feels like it). They forced us to pay a premium for the bluray 3D discs when they do release them I guess we should be happy to pay a premium to import the ones they withhold from us. At least they could make them all region free. Yes I'm pissed.
Curious: do the Chinese have access to cable/online 3D (Starz/HBO/etc.) ? I'm guessing it might make them more reliant on physical media.
post #24 of 39 Old 08-20-2014, 05:02 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 3
I see 3d-blurayrental.com is now going to import Noah and Need for Speed to rent at $14.99...just fyi...per their website.
post #25 of 39 Old 08-20-2014, 05:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFMike View Post
It is NOT "going fast.' You can't call the actions of just ONE studio (Disney...who released all the movies you mentioned) as indicative when every other studio continues to release films (and SPIDER-MAN 2 3D is outselling the 2D Blus at Amazon and Wal-Mart both, at least for now). Amazon has even just added 3D to their streaming services (supposedly it's not very good, but at least they've started. They certainly didn't need to.) And there are now more smaller companies putting out classic 3D on Blu. INFERNO was just released in 3D overseas. And domestically, THE BUBBLE (aka FANTASTIC INVASION OF PLANET EARTH) and FIGHTING SQUADRON are both being released in 3D on Blu. Disney notwithstanding, 3D seems to be stronger than ever. (And the Mouse can go &#$@ itself. They'll never get a dime of my money. I'll rent via 3DBR)

Someone posted this link on another thread and it's worth a read for those who like to say 3D is dying out: http://www.filmjournal.com/filmjourn...3f0d7f3f713722

It pretty much matches what I've been saying all along. Excerpt below:

If perception is at the heart of 3D, misperception is at the heart of the notion that 3D popularity is sagging, Sandrew contends. These notions are floated in the media, with blame placed on fickle audiences, ticket upcharges, inadequate screen brightness or even the productions themselves.

“[Declining interest] is more misperception than reality,” he continues, reminding that 3D grosses have hit an all-time high and that of the top 15 performing films of all time, ten were in 3D, and that 2013 was a stellar year when 13 of the 15 top-grossing films were 3D. He predicts that this year and 2015 will mark the biggest performances ever of 3D product.

And not to be forgotten, he adds, is that “while 3D continues to grow here, it is even much more popular internationally, especially in China.”

Sandrew continues: “‘Jaded’ is a good word for what might be a cooling of audience enthusiasm, but look at China, where the upcharge and glasses are signs of a premium experience instead of what some in North America deem an annoyance. But in other parts of the world, it’s that coveted premium experience.”

But 3D is not just for theatres. 3D TV has hit the home front, although not yet claiming any victory. Sandrew is also a big believer in 3D TV for couch potatoes and sports-bar fans and does not buy into the perception that 3D at home is “dead in the water.” The stalled status of 3D for smaller screens doesn’t bother him: “The consumer-electronics industry introduced 3D TV too fast and in too grand a fashion—consumers weren’t ready for it. But today it’s difficult to purchase a high-end flat-screen TV that is not 3D-enabled. So, as people buy 4K TVs, the installed base for 3D TV will grow. Once these are in homes and the high dynamic range is available, people will use them [for 3D viewing].”

Last edited by cinema13; 08-21-2014 at 08:23 AM.
post #26 of 39 Old 08-20-2014, 05:32 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
It is NOT "going fast.' You can't call the actions of just ONE studio (Disney...who released all the movies you mentioned) as indicative when every other studio continues to release films (and SPIDER-MAN 2 3D is outselling the 2D blus ar Amazon and Wal-Mart both, at least for now). Amazon has even just added 3D to their streaming services (supposedly it's not very good, but at least they've started). And there are now more smaller companies putting out classic 34D on Blu. INFERNO was just released in 3D overseas. And domestically, THE BUBBLE (aka LAST DAYS OF MAN ON EARTH) and FIGHTING SQUADRON are both being released in 3D on Blu. Disney notwithstanding, 3D seems to be stronger than ever. (And the Mouse can go &#$@ itself. They'll never get a dime of my money. I'll rent via 3DBR)
...who themselves buy from Disney, lol...

One thing I just recently discovered was that Amazon-prime movie streaming doesn't work on android systems (other than Kindle-Fire). They work ok on iOS stuff though. grumblegrumblegrumble...

post #27 of 39 Old 08-20-2014, 05:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgm1024 View Post

/I]
Well yeah, but at least I won't be adding any additional pennies to the Disney coffers. But I'm happy to help compensate 3DBR for their expenditure. I was surprised to hear they'd be carrying NEED FOR SPEED as I believe that one is Region-locked. (Unless I heard wrong!)

post #28 of 39 Old 08-22-2014, 07:07 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 64
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgm1024 View Post

/I]
I was surprised to hear they'd be carrying NEED FOR SPEED as I believe that one is Region-locked. (Unless I heard wrong!)
Not if you get it from China. That's how I got my region A Noah 3d and Need for Speed 3d for $70 total thru playasia.com
post #29 of 39 Old 08-23-2014, 06:25 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Hah...mine came 6 days from day of ordering by USPS.
Mine was ordered on the 6th of August. I just got a notice it arrived in NY on the 18th. May get it any day now as I have the USPS Tracking number. Listed as first class mail. Been 5 days from NY.

With all these questionable delays and availability of 3D in other parts of the world, I decided to go ahead and order the Sony 6200 with the Region FREE ABC option ( +$50). I also liked that it has the 3D Netflix and might prove to be a better way to get Netflix 3D than my PS3. My PS3 runs so hot all the time and that translates to $$ out of my pocket to the power company.

In other indirect 3D source News- Soon we will see a huge international competitor to Amazon in the US. Alibaba, the Chinese equivalent to Amazon/ebay will be going public and international soon. I don't have exact dates but it should get interesting. I may need to learn Chinese soon, however.

Don Landis
post #30 of 39 Old 08-24-2014, 07:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 32
I have no objections regarding the decision to keep the 3D version away from the US. The vast majority of the movie is dim, closeup long-lens shoulder rig dialog shots with out of focus backgrounds. There's maybe a 10 minute action scene toward the middle, but that too leans heavy on the closeup or medium shaky cam.

The best 3D movies out there typically have several things in common that Noah's lacking:
*tons of wide shots
*smooth camera movement
*plenty of foreground, middleground and background content
*well-lit locations

A movie with good 3D does not necessarily equal a good 3D movie!

Reply 3D Content

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page