6Likes

post #1 of 37 Old 08-04-2014, 06:36 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Need for Speed 3d

Just finished the movie and thought the 3d was great, lots of depth with pop out scenes here and there with great picture and sound quality. Definitely worth the import
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 37 Old 08-04-2014, 06:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by teckademic View Post
Just finished the movie and thought the 3d was great, lots of depth with pop out scenes here and there with great picture and sound quality. Definitely worth the import

Jeeze, I didn't realize this wasn't going to released here in 3D! GGRRRRRR!!!

Ed
post #3 of 37 Old 08-04-2014, 06:58 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I don't get why they're doing that because it's a great transfer and currently my favorite 3d movie. Maybe 3d isn't that popular in the states, but does well internationally, I don't know.
post #4 of 37 Old 08-05-2014, 03:41 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
I don't get why they're doing that because it's a great transfer and currently my favorite 3d movie. Maybe 3d isn't that popular in the states, but does well internationally, I don't know.
Yes and to me the most annoying thing is even when directly ask they will not give a straight answer about Region One bluray 3D support. This has really soured me on Disney and I won't buy these films that are released 3D overseas.
post #5 of 37 Old 08-05-2014, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Was the disc all region?
post #6 of 37 Old 08-06-2014, 06:52 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFMike View Post
Was the disc all region?
The one I imported from China is region A and the UK is region B
post #7 of 37 Old 08-07-2014, 09:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Where did you have this imported from (as in what company)?
post #8 of 37 Old 08-07-2014, 10:05 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Can be purchased through Amazon. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00LL4G850. I'd choose Far East Flea Market, and also direct from www.badpandashop.com a little cheaper (same company). I bought Noah 3D Region A recently through them, and it came within one week. Works great and subtitles can be switched off.
post #9 of 37 Old 08-07-2014, 11:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Ugh. Won't pay >$40. No way.

The UK ones get cheap periodically. Have had probs getting Sammy/other China 3Ds at a reasonable price.
old corps likes this.
post #10 of 37 Old 08-07-2014, 12:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked: 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by threed123 View Post
Can be purchased through Amazon. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00LL4G850. I'd choose Far East Flea Market, and also direct from www.badpandashop.com a little cheaper (same company). I bought Noah 3D Region A recently through them, and it came within one week. Works great and subtitles can be switched off.
NOAH 3D is available for $35.90 (which includes shipping). NEED FOR SPEED is $33.33 via dddhouse.com

Last edited by cinema13; 08-07-2014 at 12:43 PM.
post #11 of 37 Old 08-07-2014, 05:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 54
To make this all even stranger, Need for Speed 3D can be "purchased" via Vudu for $32.99.

It is weird that the 3D version is offered in BluRay in foreign markets and can be bought as a streaming video but not as a local (to the USA) BluRay 3D disc.

Of course, this kind of thing is not exactly unprecedented. In the early days of home 3D BluRays, I remember the Clash of the Titans disc being offered abroad for many months before it went on sale in the USA. Maybe the same thing will happen with these newer titles. Or maybe some other company will be able to license these movies that the studios don't seem to want to release themselves
post #12 of 37 Old 08-08-2014, 10:24 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyDP View Post
To make this all even stranger, Need for Speed 3D can be "purchased" via Vudu for $32.99.

It is weird that the 3D version is offered in BluRay in foreign markets and can be bought as a streaming video but not as a local (to the USA) BluRay 3D disc.

Of course, this kind of thing is not exactly unprecedented. In the early days of home 3D BluRays, I remember the Clash of the Titans disc being offered abroad for many months before it went on sale in the USA. Maybe the same thing will happen with these newer titles. Or maybe some other company will be able to license these movies that the studios don't seem to want to release themselves
I think they did the same with frozen where it was available in 3d digitally, didn't they?
post #13 of 37 Old 08-08-2014, 10:30 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolhand View Post
Where did you have this imported from (as in what company)?

http://www.kimchidvd.com/en/good/goods.jsp?good_seq=20302

Includes 2d as well.

To those that matter, the UK release includes a 5.1 DTS MA whereas, the one from China includes a 7.1
Not sure about other imports
post #14 of 37 Old 08-08-2014, 03:30 PM

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyDP View Post
It's becoming very clear that the studios feel that blu-ray 3D is dead in the US and no longer want to put the little effort it would take to release a 3D disc that they already have the master of. Stick it up on a streaming site and see how many suckers will bite. In corporate America saving even a small sum is worth the unhappiness of a niche market. More for our shareholders!
post #15 of 37 Old 08-08-2014, 04:14 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
It's becoming very clear that the studios feel that blu-ray 3D is dead in the US and no longer want to put the little effort it would take to release a 3D disc that they already have the master of. Stick it up on a streaming site and see how many suckers will bite. In corporate America saving even a small sum is worth the unhappiness of a niche market. More for our shareholders!
But they continue to release movies in theaters in 3d, so is it just that they are not profiting from 3d at home in the U.S. compared to internationally? Maybe they should start doing away with the dvd included to reduce costs and just include 2d and 3d, but not sure how much of a difference that would make.
post #16 of 37 Old 08-08-2014, 04:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
To clarify, it is not "studios"...it's just Disney. And considering how often 3D outsells 2D (at least initially for pre-orders and for some weeks after release via some retailers such as Amazon and Wal-Mart), it's still a baseless policy, since sales will only go up yearly. Walt would be doing somersaults in his grave. (While he was a good businessman, he also wanted to present films to the public in the best way possible. I doubt he'd ever use attrition to only allow the public to experience a movie in a lesser manner. Iger (or whoever) is not cut from the same cloth.

post #17 of 37 Old 08-08-2014, 04:30 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cinema13 View Post
To clarify, it is not "studios"...it's just Disney. And considering how often 3D outsells 2D (at least initially for pre-orders and for some weeks after release via some retailers such as Amazon and Wal-Mart), it's still a baseless policy, since sales will only go up yearly. Walt would be doing somersaults in his grave. (While he was a good businessman, he also wanted to present films to the public in the best way possible. I doubt he'd ever use attrition to only allow the public to experience a movie in a lesser manner. Iger (or whoever) is not cut from the same cloth.
So why have retailers done away with 3d sales? My local bestbuys and frys don't carry 3d as much as they used to and when I've asked them about it, they all say that they don't get sent, but can be purchased online. Walmart and Target don't even bother getting 3d anymore.
post #18 of 37 Old 08-09-2014, 02:02 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 157 Post(s)
Liked: 130
Thanks for the info from China on this title. I may see it using Vudu or also wait for the 3D from the rental house. At least we have options for a price. For now I watched it last evening as a 2D BD rental from Red Box. It's a good movie, but I don't know if it is worth the big $$ to own the BD or even Vudu. A $7.99 rental fee is my current preference.

The language I keep hearing from the studios on this is not that "we don't think 3D is profitable in the US so no 3D anymore" but rather they speak of "strategic roll-out" meaning there is this sense that the studios can sell the same title several times to the same customer by rolling out each version, multiple packages, over many months delay.
I know Bob Iger, has mentioned strategic roll-out several times in a way to add revenue to titles over several years.

Do you all recall when the BD was delayed behind the DVD? That is rarely done anymore.

I think our buying habits here have programmed the studios' thinking.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Don Landis
post #19 of 37 Old 08-09-2014, 09:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
So why have retailers done away with 3d sales? My local bestbuys and frys don't carry 3d as much as they used to and when I've asked them about it, they all say that they don't get sent, but can be purchased online. Walmart and Target don't even bother getting 3d anymore.
Might be a regional thing, as my local Target still carries 3D in-store. GRAVITY, THOR 2, UPSIDE DOWN, and others have been on shelves. And SPIDER-MAN 2 will be in-store as well. BB still gets new release 3D discs (STALINGRAD, 300, and POMPEII were all available). However, BB doesn't carry BluRay 2D in general as much as they used to.

post #20 of 37 Old 08-09-2014, 09:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Might be a regional thing, as my local Target still carries 3D in-store. GRAVITY, THOR 2, UPSIDE DOWN, and others have been on shelves. And SPIDER-MAN 2 will be in-store as well. BB still gets new release 3D discs (STALINGRAD, 300, and POMPEII were all available). However, BB doesn't carry BluRay 2D in general as much as they used to. Considering that these stores have their own streaming services (including CinemaNow and VuDu), they probably want to force people to use that option.

post #21 of 37 Old 08-09-2014, 01:07 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Landis View Post
Thanks for the info from China on this title. I may see it using Vudu or also wait for the 3D from the rental house. At least we have options for a price. For now I watched it last evening as a 2D BD rental from Red Box. It's a good movie, but I don't know if it is worth the big $$ to own the BD or even Vudu. A $7.99 rental fee is my current preference.

The language I keep hearing from the studios on this is not that "we don't think 3D is profitable in the US so no 3D anymore" but rather they speak of "strategic roll-out" meaning there is this sense that the studios can sell the same title several times to the same customer by rolling out each version, multiple packages, over many months delay.
I know Bob Iger, has mentioned strategic roll-out several times in a way to add revenue to titles over several years.

Do you all recall when the BD was delayed behind the DVD? That is rarely done anymore.

I think our buying habits here have programmed the studios' thinking.

Good point, but surprises me that Disney would take part in such a thing, considering they have always been about the customer
post #22 of 37 Old 08-10-2014, 07:38 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Good point, but surprises me that Disney would take part in such a thing, considering they have always been about the customer
Get ready for another surprise. Disney has always been about making money since Mike Eisner was CEO. You need to listen to Bob Iger give a stock holder's earnings call. I've been a Disney stock holder for a long time and I agree with their plan. The more money they make, the more great content and entertainment we get. The root core complaint is not that Disney prevents us from having the content, it is that people complain about the cost, and the medium it is offered. The strategic roll out is designed to maximize profits. It works because we, the consumer make it work. If people want the plan to change, boycot everything and see what happens. Michael Eisner said it best when asked about prices, He said we will raise prices 5% per year until attendance rolls off 5%. Since then Disney has followed that price plan at the theme parks. I don't think they just take part in these schemes, they invented them.

Now, for 2015, Bob Iger will be stepping down as CEO and a new leader will come on board. I'm sure the new guy will make some changes but for now we wait and see. Play along if you want.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Don Landis
post #23 of 37 Old 08-18-2014, 01:02 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Just received Need for Speed through import per above. Well, all I can say is "Wow!" The outdoor race scenes are well done and the 3D makes the movie for me. Excellent transfer, good color, excellent 3D depth and great sound. Well done.
SFMike and old corps like this.
post #24 of 37 Old 08-20-2014, 06:41 AM
AVS Club Gold

I saw Need for Speed 3D is available on Vudu to rent for same price as 3D-BluRayrentals.com. No waiting.

I ordered Noah 3D from the Chinese import but still waiting for it to ship. It's now available on Vudu for lower price. Only advantage is I'll have a disk vs. just digital download, if it ever gets here.

Don Landis
post #25 of 37 Old 08-20-2014, 10:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I saw Need for Speed 3D is available on Vudu to rent for same price as 3D-BluRayrentals.com. No waiting.

I ordered Noah 3D from the Chinese import but still waiting for it to ship. It's now available on Vudu for lower price. Only advantage is I'll have a disk vs. just digital download, if it ever gets here.
Well, the uncompressed audio alone is an advantage. That's why I'll be seeing this from 3DBR once the price drops to $7.99. For me, Vudu is a last resort.

post #26 of 37 Old 08-20-2014, 12:02 PM
AVS Club Gold

Me too, I'm not sure the movie is worth a second watch. I liked Noah 2D and watched it 3 times with one rental from Redbox, so buying it was good to have for more rewatching. Vudu may not have uncompressed audio but it does have 7.1 if the movie has it. After a long time I finally went to have my hearing measured a year ago and due to some damage years ago, I don't have good enough hearing to really tell the difference. I can hear 7.1 vs 5.1, but with my large speakers all the way around and 3000 watts of amps, I have plenty of sound to satisfy. But, if I do decide to see it in 3D, I'll wait for it on 3D-BR.
My biggest fear is Vudu closes shop and then what will happen to my 15 or so titles I bought??? That should be the biggest fear of anyone using any of the cloud systems for their content.

Don Landis
post #27 of 37 Old 08-20-2014, 06:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
My biggest fear is Vudu closes shop and then what will happen to my 15 or so titles I bought??? That should be the biggest fear of anyone using any of the cloud systems for their content.
Already been there (sort of) with CinemaNow. Sony dropped them from all devices. (including my 790 BD player). When I checked on-line, some of the movies were gone. (It should also be noted that they have dropped 5.1 audio from all their selections as well.) No one was able to answer why. As for the remaining movies, if I wanted to watch them, it would have to be on-line only! (Sorry, but I don't watch movies on a laptop or 4" - 5" screen.) I don't care what anyone says, digital is NOT ownership. It's just temporary storage. (and additionally, some movies are cropped...what a deal!)

Last edited by cinema13; 08-20-2014 at 06:14 PM.
post #28 of 37 Old 08-21-2014, 12:06 AM
AVS Club Gold

CinemaNow is on my WDTV Live but I never used it.

On the Vizio- I had Wealth 3D app but they went dark now too. I watched a couple titles when it was free. Vizio claimed I should have the 3D Go app but it was never available to my Vizio. I heard from those who had it, it was crap content anyway.

Sony channel on PS3 seems like a safe bet as I can download the stuff I buy to my hard drive and later play them without internet connection. They have a bunch of titles.

Haven't seen too many reports on cropped movies. Last really big complaint was when the studios did that for Pulp Fiction which was released with various croppings from OAR to DVD to Blu Ray, to HBO. All different.

Don Landis
post #29 of 37 Old 08-21-2014, 08:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
CinemaNow is on my WDTV Live but I never used it.

Haven't seen too many reports on cropped movies. Last really big complaint was when the studios did that for Pulp Fiction which was released with various croppings from OAR to DVD to Blu Ray, to HBO. All different.
Two that come to mind are HOBBIT: DESOLATION 3D and SILENT HILL REVELATION 3D

post #30 of 37 Old 08-21-2014, 09:26 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by cinema13 View Post
Two that come to mind are HOBBIT: DESOLATION 3D and SILENT HILL REVELATION 3D
I did a search for "cropped Hobbit: Desolation of Smaug 3D" and the only link I could find were two. All I saw was yours in the Blu Ray reviews section. and the second was a bad bit torrent complaint. I trust your observation so I decided to do a quick compare on this movie in Vudu. on my Vizio here in the edit suite. ( BTW- I think I have it on BD too but didn't load that up to make a 3rd comparison.) I can go get it if you think that is different yet.

Here is what I did see: 2D version was 2.35 AR and the 3D was 1.78 AR. It would appear you are correct, however, you can't just assume the 1.78 AR 3D version was cropped. You must look more closely scene vs. scene to see which one is missing content. I used, as you did the 2 minute preview. There is a scene of a man facing to the right 1:44 of the preview and in the 2D version the top of his hood is cut off along with his sword handle popping out of his back pack cut off in this dark street. In the 3D version that filled my screen 16x9, his entire hood was in the scene and top of the sword handle went to the top of the screen. There was no content lost on either side of the frame when the two were compared.

Knowing that the film as I saw it in the theater was shown in 16x9 large IMAX theater, I believe without further research that the 2D is cropped to 2.35 with mattes and the 16x9 3D version is simply open matte version. You may favor 2.35 AR for all movies but I believe for this movie the OAR is 16x9 for 3D and more of the scenery is allowed to be seen, vs the 2D. Are these extras in the 3D important? Probably not but that is debatable.

I did a compare on more of what was missing in other scenes and in all cases the 2D version is the cropped version not the 3D.

Don Landis

Last edited by Don Landis; 08-21-2014 at 09:29 AM.
Reply 3D Content

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page