Captain America:The Winter Soldier 3D - Page 3 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 18Likes

post #61 of 109 Old 09-09-2014, 07:39 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Hey, look.. a Captain America thread. And guess what released today?

I saw this in theaters, but in 2D, so this was my first 3D viewing. It was okay. Technically sound, nothing "wrong" with it, but nothing particularly noteworthy. It's clear that 3D wasn't a consideration until the very end. Sad, really, a few shots could have been pretty damned cool if they were just shot a little differently to allow for the 3D to breathe more.

Welcome to Rivendell, Mister Anderson.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 109 Old 09-10-2014, 01:59 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 334 Post(s)
Liked: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jedi2016 View Post
Hey, look.. a Captain America thread. And guess what released today?

I saw this in theaters, but in 2D, so this was my first 3D viewing. It was okay. Technically sound, nothing "wrong" with it, but nothing particularly noteworthy. It's clear that 3D wasn't a consideration until the very end. Sad, really, a few shots could have been pretty damned cool if they were just shot a little differently to allow for the 3D to breathe more.
I saw it in 3D at the theaters and again at home today and this was my experience as well. Other than the occasional shot here or there (mainly the establishing location shots) the 3D seemed pointless, very conservative and not framed to take advantage of the medium. The action scenes had lots of quick cuts, which doesn't work well with 3D, and despite plenty of guns, canons, shields and other objects jutting forward all over the place, nothing really broke the plane of the screen either. Really disappointing since the first Captain America movie was one of the better 3D conversions in its time.

The 3D disc also includes a full 3D preview of Guardians of the Galaxy and the difference in quality is startling. The depth in Guardians is far more pronounced and could be mistaken for a native 3D film at times. Really looking forward to checking out that film at home.

Last edited by TonyDP; 09-10-2014 at 02:02 PM.
post #63 of 109 Old 09-10-2014, 04:18 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Oh, I missed that preview (I tend to skip them), I'll have to check that out. I am definitely looking forward to that one, I've heard lots of good things about the 3D in GotG.

post #64 of 109 Old 09-11-2014, 09:27 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked: 26
There are a TON of different versions of this on Amazon.

I don't care about any bonus footage, just want the 3D bluray. Are they all identical for picture, content, soundtrack? (i.e. which version do I buy?)

It's hard to love Martin Logans and 2.35:1 CIH at the same time...
post #65 of 109 Old 09-11-2014, 10:47 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 2476 Post(s)
Liked: 1628
Quote:
Originally Posted by akm3 View Post
There are a TON of different versions of this on Amazon.

I don't care about any bonus footage, just want the 3D bluray. Are they all identical for picture, content, soundtrack? (i.e. which version do I buy?)
Video and audio will be identical everywhere. Target supposedly has an exclusive bonus feature, but it's a 5-minute clip that has to be streamed from the internet (it's not on the disc), and a number of buyers have been unable to access it due to a screw-up at Target.

Josh Z
Writer/Editor, High-Def Digest (Blog updated daily!)
Curator, Laserdisc Forever

My opinions are my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of my employers.

post #66 of 109 Old 09-11-2014, 01:10 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Z View Post
Video and audio will be identical everywhere. Target supposedly has an exclusive bonus feature, but it's a 5-minute clip that has to be streamed from the internet (it's not on the disc), and a number of buyers have been unable to access it due to a screw-up at Target.
At Walmart there's a $5 off coupon if you buy 2-bags of M&M's and any copy of Captain America 2. The coupon is on the large bag of M&M's.
post #67 of 109 Old 09-11-2014, 01:45 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

FYI, Best Buy will match Amazon.com's $19.96 price and accept any additional BB gift cards/rewards certificates as well. I was able to use the price match and a $10 gift card I had to get the 3D edition for $11. That $19.96 price will probably go up after this weekend.
post #68 of 109 Old 09-11-2014, 03:36 PM

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 7012 Post(s)
Liked: 3557
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Z View Post
Josh, did you see that flick in 3D yet? ...Any review of it over @ HDD?
{I didn't watch my 3D Blu yet; just too many other things taking my time, with other movies too.}

But so far, from the members here @ AVS that 3D version doesn't seem that enthralling @ all. ...Too bad.
Maybe we'll have a better chance with GodG 3D? ...Size does matter.
post #69 of 109 Old 09-11-2014, 04:11 PM

Quoted: 177 Post(s)
Liked: 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthSky View Post
But so far, from the members here @ AVS that 3D version doesn't seem that enthralling @ all. ...Too bad.
Maybe we'll have a better chance with GodG 3D? ...Size does matter.
GotG was shot with 3D in mind. There's a 3D trailer for it on the CA disc. But CA was not shot to take advantage of 3D in any manner. Barely any different than the 2D...just a bit of depth, but nothing more than that. I'm hoping EDGE OF TOMORROW and X-MEN fare better. (Missed both in theaters so I won't even try and guess.)
post #70 of 109 Old 09-11-2014, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cinema13 View Post
GotG was shot with 3D in mind. There's a 3D trailer for it on the CA disc. But CA was not shot to take advantage of 3D in any manner. Barely any different than the 2D...just a bit of depth, but nothing more than that. I'm hoping EDGE OF TOMORROW and X-MEN fare better. (Missed both in theaters so I won't even try and guess.)
Ok, thank you vey much. ...Now my next question: Which film is the better one; on true merit content?

...Between GotZ, Captain America, Edge of Tomorrow, and the last X-Men.

...For expert cinema critics. Me I've seen none of them, yet. ...And because this thread is in 3D, then 3D has the most importance, equally along with the true film content (merit, honor, and value), and of course the intelligent audio surround mix, with the LFE channel, plus the musical sound score.

Is 'Captain America - The Winter Soldier' a great film? ...In all the aspects I just mentioned above.
I now already know that it is not, in the 3D picture department. ...And most people seems to love the sound, surround effects. ...What about the music score itself? ...The dialogue?

And! Is the storyline much better than the first original one? ...Because I do have that one too, in 3D, and was never impressed, all across the board. ...Not that it was bad, but it wasn't good.

Is there a good lesson to learn from, a good life's philosophy, a good message of goodwill for mankind in Captain America number 2? ...Is there some good humor, some fun lines, some intelligent dialog, some good acting, some colorful moments (in spirit, for the mind and soul)?
post #71 of 109 Old 09-11-2014, 06:28 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

3D aside, this one is far better than the first in pretty much every conceivable way. Bearing in mind that it's still a Marvel comic-book movie, of course, but it's really is pretty damn good.

post #72 of 109 Old 09-11-2014, 07:19 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cinema13 View Post
I saw Edge of Tomorrow on an Imax screen and it had some good 3D; nice depth and lots of pop (projectiles, debris, particle effects, environmental effects), especially for a post-conversion.

I did not see X-Men in 3D but Bryan Singer used the same cinematographer that he previously collaborated with on Jack The Giant Slayer. Despite being shot in native 3D the depth and pop on that feature were very, very conservative and while I will definitely pick up the 3D BluRay, I expect a similar presentation with X-Men.
post #73 of 109 Old 09-14-2014, 08:49 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 773 Post(s)
Liked: 406
We watched Captain America last night and all four of very much liked the 3D. The only weakness was during fast paced fight scenes but even that was not enough to detract from the overall appeal. For the price ($19.99/ Target) the 3d version is a screamin deal.
post #74 of 109 Old 09-15-2014, 06:41 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked: 114
I watched the movie this weekend and thought the 3d was pretty good, sure it's mostly depth, but I felt it added to the movie and don't always need things popping out. Everyone else who watched it with me enjoyed the 3d as well.
biotron2000 likes this.
post #75 of 109 Old 09-15-2014, 07:47 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by andy sullivan View Post
We watched Captain America last night and all four of very much liked the 3D. The only weakness was during fast paced fight scenes but even that was not enough to detract from the overall appeal. For the price ($19.99/ Target) the 3d version is a screamin deal.
Yeah, the quick cut style of the action scenes didn't lend itself well to 3d. I actually thought this 3d presentation looked more like the dismal Thor 2 than the first Capt. America movie, although there were some really nicely converted 3d shots that made me wonder why it couldn't have looked better for the duration of the film.
post #76 of 109 Old 09-15-2014, 11:22 PM

I watched it last night, and I liked it better than the first one, but wasn't overwhelmingly impressed @ all with the 3D presentation.

Thor (1 & 2), Iron Man (1, 2 & 3), SpiderMan (1 & 2), Green Lantern (awful), Captain (1, and now 2), are all still below The Avengers 3D, somehow. I might have been under a funny moon spell too last night. /// Your eyes have to be fully relaxed and calm with the darkness surrounding the bright screen in front of you.

But one thing is for sure; action scenes (and this is an action flick) in 3D are not relaxing.
I will revisit it again; in 2D this time around, just to see. ...And eventually in 3D again, when and if more predisposed.

Last edited by NorthSky; 09-15-2014 at 11:35 PM. Reason: ...
post #77 of 109 Old 09-16-2014, 09:44 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 11
The 3D was good in my book on HMZ-T3, it lack some popping of 3D there & there but I did like the movie more then the first one.
post #78 of 109 Old 09-25-2014, 08:56 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1313 Post(s)
Liked: 373
Just received this title in from Amazon UK. Ordered on the 17th. Looking forward to seeing it.

My 3D videos and more
Don Landis HT System: Projector Sony VPL VW665ES Players: Samsung UBD K8500 OPPO BD93 Sony BDP S6200 All Regions Player Denon AVR 4311ci, 7.1 JBL Professional series and Klipsch PS3, XBOX360, Dish VIP722K; 3D Edit Suite: Edius7.53, Vegas Pro v13, Power Director15, i7-950, LG 3D TV DM2752
post #79 of 109 Old 09-25-2014, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Landis View Post
Just received this title in from Amazon UK. Ordered on the 17th. Looking forward to seeing it.
Looking forward to your opinion Don. ...I don't think that you are going to be impressed @ all with the 3D presentation here.

In my book of 3D movies, this one simply sucks! ...Excuse me for my little harsh honesty here, but I just tell it like it is. ...Scarlett is the main attribute here, with her orange/red hair. ...And in 2D, not in that very poor 3D presentation.

* I'm anxious to hear from you; your agreement, or the reverse.
post #80 of 109 Old 09-25-2014, 08:34 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I wouldn't go so far as to say the 3D "sucks". The technical implementation is very good, like many other conversions these days. The problem is that the film wasn't made with 3D in mind, and so the 3D doesn't really add much in terms of immersion or wow factor. It's just kinda "there". To say that it sucks is to say that the 3D actually detracts from the experience, which doesn't happen here.

There are very few, if any, 3D films in my collection where I actually prefer to watch the 2D version over the 3D version, regardless of how "impressive", or not, the 3D may be. It doesn't detract from any of them.

post #81 of 109 Old 09-25-2014, 08:49 PM

You have your definition of the word "sucks" here in this 3D instance; I got mine, which means the 2D version is better.

* If 3D doesn't add up, then it is distracting/deceiving; would have been better to simply forget about it (my TV and BD player can up 3D everything down 2D already).

You disagree with my version (own vision) and that's fine; I respect you.
I've seen many 3D flicks, so that might also influence my overall choice of word to describe them particular 3D flick.

- I used the word very spuriously, sporadically, freely, lightly, quickly to describe my overall/final impression.
Please don't sweat it.
post #82 of 109 Old 09-26-2014, 07:46 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
I have to agree with NorthSky here. This is the first movie i've far preferred the 2d version for. The 3d really doesn't do anything but darken the picture for this title, and more often than not this 3d conversion certainly amplifies the fact that it wasn't shot with 3d in mind.
post #83 of 109 Old 09-26-2014, 09:14 AM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Quote:
You have your definition of the word "sucks" here in this 3D instance; I got mine, which means the 2D version is better.

* If 3D doesn't add up, then it is distracting/deceiving; would have been better to simply forget about it (my TV and BD player can up 3D everything down 2D already).
Seconded. 3D is the ONLY way to see movies that use the effect intelligently. But no 3D at all, is preferable to weak 3D. If the 3D is crappy I'll take the standard 2D Blu any day, over a more expensive disc that requires glasses to watch. Besides...we've seen films that weren't made with 3D in mind, that were converted to impressive results.(ie: Jurassic)
post #84 of 109 Old 09-26-2014, 09:39 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Quote:
Looking forward to your opinion Don. ...I don't think that you are going to be impressed @ all with the 3D presentation here.

In my book of 3D movies, this one simply sucks! ...Excuse me for my little harsh honesty here, but I just tell it like it is. ...Scarlett is the main attribute here, with her orange/red hair. ...And in 2D, not in that very poor 3D presentation.

* I'm anxious to hear from you; your agreement, or the reverse.
Not one of my favorites, for sure. Let me break it down for you-

1. 3D technical presentation was excellent and without flaws. No ghosting, good 3D dimension, brightness and color well into my comfort zone.
2. 3D artistic offering is minimal. I don't feel additionally entertained by the 3D. Not much extreme negative or positive effect, gimmick 3D that many need to satisfy. However, the 3D that was there was well done to make the scenes look very natural.
3. The story itself was a little too "utopian" with some childish antics that just made it unbelievable even for a future Earth type society with super soldiers. I need to go and review the back story to better understand the present movie.
4. Acting was just ho-hum and none of the actors did what it takes to make me feel we have an identifiable hero. Robert Downey in Ironman is far better. Maybe it lacked humor from Chris Evans. He reminds me of a High School jock who's best days were when he was the class hero in high school. Scarlet Johansson is OK but her performance is best when she is replaced with stunt doubles and augmented with special effects. There are hotter redheads in Hollywood if that's your fascination.

It fits with a few of my other less than favorites such as The Green Lantern.

The one thing I did like is the surprises hidden in the credits. If you didn't watch the credits all the way to the end, you missed these.

I'm also disappointed I paid so much for it, having to order from UK to get the 3D. I will give the 2D disk to my daughter and family and I think they will like that.

BTW- it's an all regions 3D so it can be ordered or I believe is offered from the 3D rental company. My suggestion- wait until it drops in price, then rent it.

My 3D videos and more
Don Landis HT System: Projector Sony VPL VW665ES Players: Samsung UBD K8500 OPPO BD93 Sony BDP S6200 All Regions Player Denon AVR 4311ci, 7.1 JBL Professional series and Klipsch PS3, XBOX360, Dish VIP722K; 3D Edit Suite: Edius7.53, Vegas Pro v13, Power Director15, i7-950, LG 3D TV DM2752
post #85 of 109 Old 09-26-2014, 10:07 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 2476 Post(s)
Liked: 1628
Quote:
I'm also disappointed I paid so much for it, having to order from UK to get the 3D.
Why did you order from the UK? The 3D edition is available in the States.

http://www.amazon.com/Captain-Americ...dp/B00KHD5FK0/

Josh Z
Writer/Editor, High-Def Digest (Blog updated daily!)
Curator, Laserdisc Forever

My opinions are my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of my employers.

post #86 of 109 Old 09-26-2014, 10:28 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Good point but all things considering, the price, bottom line is the same. After exchange, through my CC, I paid the same price as the US plus sales tax, the US would be even more.

When was this released in 3D in the US? I missed that.

I still recommend people wait for the less than $20 price point to own this.

My 3D videos and more
post #87 of 109 Old 09-26-2014, 11:15 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
When was this released in 3D in the US? I missed that.
It released the same day as 2D release. I picked up the best buy limited edition steelbook 3D/2D digital copy.
post #88 of 109 Old 09-26-2014, 01:51 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked: 91
It was released in the UK about 2 weeks or so before the US though. I had it about 10 days before it was available here & for about the same cost bottom line. Unfortunately, I agree re. the 3D........

Ed
post #89 of 109 Old 09-26-2014, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Not one of my favorites, for sure. Let me break it down for you-

1. 3D technical presentation was excellent and without flaws. No ghosting, good 3D dimension, brightness and color well into my comfort zone.
2. 3D artistic offering is minimal. I don't feel additionally entertained by the 3D. Not much extreme negative or positive effect, gimmick 3D that many need to satisfy. However, the 3D that was there was well done to make the scenes look very natural.
3. The story itself was a little too "utopian" with some childish antics that just made it unbelievable even for a future Earth type society with super soldiers. I need to go and review the back story to better understand the present movie.
4. Acting was just ho-hum and none of the actors did what it takes to make me feel we have an identifiable hero. Robert Downey in Ironman is far better. Maybe it lacked humor from Chris Evans. He reminds me of a High School jock who's best days were when he was the class hero in high school. Scarlet Johansson is OK but her performance is best when she is replaced with stunt doubles and augmented with special effects. There are hotter redheads in Hollywood if that's your fascination.

It fits with a few of my other less than favorites such as The Green Lantern.

The one thing I did like is the surprises hidden in the credits. If you didn't watch the credits all the way to the end, you missed these.

I'm also disappointed I paid so much for it, having to order from UK to get the 3D. I will give the 2D disk to my daughter and family and I think they will like that.

BTW- it's an all regions 3D so it can be ordered or I believe is offered from the 3D rental company. My suggestion- wait until it drops in price, then rent it.
A good and honest compte rendu Don; thx. ...I appreciate that; your opinion is always very welcome, even if I don't always agree with you because your points are always valid from your own perspective, and that, I always highly respect.

-> 'Green Lantern' 3D is probably the worst of them all, one of them for sure.
'Captain America 2' 3D is still serviceable, but still below par.

______

* Btw, I paid just over $30 (with tax) here (in North America, Canada) for my 3D copy of Captain 2.
...Too much, but such is life... ...Buy tomorrow what we can enjoy today...

♦ Great thread.
post #90 of 109 Old 09-26-2014, 04:42 PM

Quote:
I still recommend people wait for the less than $20 price point to own this.
Or even better; don't bother with the 3D version for $20, and wait for the 2D version to go on sale for $10.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply 3D Content

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page