11Likes

post #1 of 105 Old 08-07-2014, 06:51 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Captain America:The Winter Soldier 3D

I ordered this from AmazonUK. It's being released over there 8/18 and is region free. Should be here the following week. Total cost with shipping was $30.21. ANOTHER title that apparently won't be released here in 3D........

Ed
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 105 Old 08-07-2014, 08:51 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Lightbulb 3D

It will be released in US on 9/9

I see a few places that have it for pre-order

Best Buy :
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/captain-...LE_5885123_TXT
old corps likes this.
post #3 of 105 Old 08-08-2014, 08:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked: 110
For some reason, Amazon does not even have a 2D version up for pre-order.

post #4 of 105 Old 08-08-2014, 10:07 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 15
"Amazon.com has stopped taking DVD preorders for upcoming Warner Bros. Home Video releases."

http://variety.com/2014/digital/news...ie-1201218069/

Captain America is Buena Vista but they may be related.

Amazon.ca also has the pre-order for Sept. 9.
post #5 of 105 Old 08-08-2014, 11:32 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EVERRET View Post
It will be released in US on 9/9

I see a few places that have it for pre-order

Best Buy :
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/captain-...LE_5885123_TXT
Whoops, guess I was wrong (FIRST time that EVER happened!) Oh well, I should have it a couple of weeks before it's out here and for just about the same price as BB would be with sales tax.

Ed
post #6 of 105 Old 08-10-2014, 06:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 47
this will be released in China on 8/12, region A, but it appears that 3d and 2d are individually.
post #7 of 105 Old 08-10-2014, 09:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dew42 View Post

Captain America is Buena Vista but they may be related.
Indeed it is:

Amazon is bumping chests yet again with a media giant, this time its the House that Mickey built. At issue is contract terms for selling some of Disney’s biggest DVD/Blu Ray titles on its site — Captain America: The Winter Soldier, Maleficent, Muppets Most Wanted and Million Dollar Arm. The titles are finding their way into other retail stores such as Best Buy and Target via DVD and Blu-Ray, but they are not allowed to be sold on Amazon.

This comes as an ad signed by 900 authors across the country was set to appear in the pages of the The New York Times today protesting Amazon’s treatment of publisher Hachette which has also been in a pricing dispute with the retail giant.

This is the third time in a few short months that Amazon has butted heads with a major media entity. A stalemate also occurred earlier this year between Warner Bros. and Amazon for the release of The Lego Movie when the two behemoths could not come to terms on a deal for pre-orders so Amazon disallowed the title on the site. The Warner Bros. situation was later resolved and The Lego Movie is now available on the site.

It was confirmed to Deadline very late Saturday night that a similar dispute has erupted over the contract terms that is preventing the studio from selling some of its biggest home entertainment titles of the year on Amazon. (The titles can be found for sale on Amazon UK but not in the U.S.). The movies are only available on Instant Video in the U.S. The online retail giant played it the same way with Warner Bros. earlier this year, which according to Home Media Magazine (which first noticed the missing Disney titles) marked the first time that Amazon halted orders as a tactic in a negotiation.

Driven by a desire to increase their profit margins, Amazon is also in a well-publicized pricing dispute with publishing giant Hachette over its e-books, a fight that involved the online retail giant delaying orders, denying pre-orders on books by popular authors such as J.K. Rowling and others. That prompted several authors to come out publicly against Amazon earlier this year including Malcolm Gladwell, James Patterson, and TV personality Stephen Colbert who really took them to task.

In fact, Colbert did a segment that ended by giving Amazon the finger on air and called for a boycott, while Patterson used Book Expo America to air his grievance, saying that Amazon “wants to control book selling, book buying, and even book publishing, and that is a national tragedy … if this is to be the new American way, then maybe it has to be changed, by law if necessary, immediately, if not sooner.”

Now, 900 authors — under the group Authors United — have gone after Amazon directly over its hard stance against Hachette.

During this year’s Herb Allen annual conference in Sun Valley Idaho, Amazon CEO Jeff Bezos told attendees that his business model was here to stay. Period. Hollywood is always looking for its next villian and it seems they found it in Bezos, the real-life Lord Business.

Meanwhile, consumers across the country looking to buy DVD/Blu-Ray’s for Captain America: The Winter Soldier on Amazon, will be met with only an Instant Video to download. Same for Million Dollar Arm, Maleficent and Muppets Most Wanted. For the last two, Amazon has only a picture with: “Sign up to be notified when this item becomes available.”

post #8 of 105 Old 08-10-2014, 03:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by old corps View Post
Whoops, guess I was wrong (FIRST time that EVER happened!) Oh well, I should have it a couple of weeks before it's out here and for just about the same price as BB would be with sales tax.

Ed

Good chance BB will sell it cheaper on the release date. I don't even bother to pre-order with Amazon any more on big titles. The best deals are usually the first week.
post #9 of 105 Old 08-10-2014, 07:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by ti-triodes View Post
Good chance BB will sell it cheaper on the release date. I don't even bother to pre-order with Amazon any more on big titles. The best deals are usually the first week.
Between the addition of sales taxes, the increase in minimum purchase required for free delivery, and now this nonsense about not offering pre-orders on some popular titles, Amazon has lost most of its appeal when it comes to day one video purchases. Its actually a better value to shop at local B&M's as you typically get more aggressive deals there for the first week of a new BluRay's release.
post #10 of 105 Old 08-10-2014, 08:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyDP View Post
Between the addition of sales taxes, the increase in minimum purchase required for free delivery, and now this nonsense about not offering pre-orders on some popular titles, Amazon has lost most of its appeal when it comes to day one video purchases. Its actually a better value to shop at local B&M's as you typically get more aggressive deals there for the first week of a new BluRay's release.
I find that having prime is usually a better deal than buying from stores. Not only do I normally get the movie the day before, but pricing is usually the same and delivery is free.
old corps likes this.
post #11 of 105 Old 08-22-2014, 04:40 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I received my copy from AmazonUk today.
post #12 of 105 Old 08-22-2014, 05:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 166 Post(s)
Liked: 222
I didn't think much of the 3D, they never seem to push the depth these days.
post #13 of 105 Old 08-24-2014, 04:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff D View Post
I didn't think much of the 3D, they never seem to push the depth these days.
The first Captain America film was one of the better 3D conversions as the director and cinematographer clearly composed the scenes with 3D in mind and even managed to have a couple of nice pop-out scenes.

Sadly, the 3D in Winter Soldier was an afterthought and it was pretty clear to me that the filmmakers gave it no consideration whatsoever when framing out the scenes.
post #14 of 105 Old 08-24-2014, 06:28 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyDP View Post
The first Captain America film was one of the better 3D conversions as the director and cinematographer clearly composed the scenes with 3D in mind and even managed to have a couple of nice pop-out scenes.

Sadly, the 3D in Winter Soldier was an afterthought and it was pretty clear to me that the filmmakers gave it no consideration whatsoever when framing out the scenes.

Wow, sorry to hear that! My copy should be here from the UK in a day or two..........
post #15 of 105 Old 08-25-2014, 01:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by old corps View Post
Wow, sorry to hear that! My copy should be here from the UK in a day or two..........
Its always disappointing when a film takes a step backward in that way; still, I'll be buying the 3D version as well as the slight price premium is worth it for all the extras.

Slightly off topic but, Guardians of the Galaxy had really good 3D with strong depth throughout and quite a few popout effects, a rarity with Marvel films. That one will be a nice addition to the collection when it is released on 3D BluRay.
old corps and Hagenstein like this.
post #16 of 105 Old 08-26-2014, 11:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 166 Post(s)
Liked: 222
All the what now? Cap has got about 15 minutes of video content and a commentary, it's a pathetic roster of extra features (which are only on the 2D disc) and Disney are starting to take the piss.
post #17 of 105 Old 08-27-2014, 11:07 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 223 Post(s)
Liked: 143
I see Captain America is available on Vudu, complete set 2D/3D plus 4 extra features for $22.99 If it is as good as Frozen, it's worth considering.
post #18 of 105 Old 08-27-2014, 05:18 PM
Toe
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 168 Post(s)
Liked: 502
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Landis View Post
I see Captain America is available on Vudu, complete set 2D/3D plus 4 extra features for $22.99 If it is as good as Frozen, it's worth considering.
Target will have the actual blu ray for the same price from my reading. Might as well wait and get better quality A/V.

JVC 3D: Been there, done that, bought a DLP
post #19 of 105 Old 08-27-2014, 09:09 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 39
My feeling is that with BF around the corner (well, a few months) I'm better off waiting since no doubt there will be deals and maybe even a price drop. 3D bluray's aren't exactly a huge seller from what I've seen.
post #20 of 105 Old 08-27-2014, 10:45 PM
AVS Club Gold

I agree it's one on my wait list. Wait for it to go to cheap rental. Unless, my grandson pushes for it sooner. I'm a sucker for the kids.
I got the Lego Movie 3D on Vudu and the only time we watch it is when he is over. Both grandkids are really into Lego's. ????
post #21 of 105 Old 08-28-2014, 09:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toe View Post
Target will have the actual blu ray for the same price from my reading. Might as well wait and get better quality A/V.
Smart move...as the Target edition will have an extra disc with a MAKING OF documentary that other editions will not have.
Toe likes this.

post #22 of 105 Old 08-28-2014, 09:49 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by cinema13 View Post
Smart move...as the Target edition will have an extra disc with a MAKING OF documentary that other editions will not have.
As I said, Vudu has it, including all the extras now. I would imagine, if the added features are on the 2D disk, then renting both the 2D and 3D from 3DBR may be the lowest cost way to get it all if that's your thing. I don't see this anymore than a one time rental for me. I suspect this one will be available on Netflix or Amazon Prime soon too for really cheap rerun if we have to watch it again for the grand kids.
post #23 of 105 Old 08-28-2014, 10:10 AM
Toe
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
As I said, Vudu has it, including all the extras now. I would imagine, if the added features are on the 2D disk, then renting both the 2D and 3D from 3DBR may be the lowest cost way to get it all if that's your thing. I don't see this anymore than a one time rental for me. I suspect this one will be available on Netflix or Amazon Prime soon too for really cheap rerun if we have to watch it again for the grand kids.
It's been reported to have a monster bass track, so if you are a bass head, that alone earns repeat value and is more incentive to get the blu.

post #24 of 105 Old 08-28-2014, 11:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
As I said, Vudu has it, including all the extras now.
No it doesn't. It doesn't have the MAKING OF doc, the audio commentary, and perhaps more. Heck, they don't even have close-captioning (for those who might use that). I'll spend less and get more by purchasing the disc. And I'll even have the UV Cloud storage if I feel I MUST have it there. (To date, I almost never apply the UV option...anyone wanna buy them? lol)
Toe likes this.

Last edited by cinema13; 08-28-2014 at 12:09 PM.
post #25 of 105 Old 08-28-2014, 02:06 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by cinema13 View Post
No it doesn't. It doesn't have the MAKING OF doc, the audio commentary, and perhaps more.
On Vudu-
The extra I thought was "The Making of..." is titled On the Set with Anthony Mackie

The other features included are-

Steve Roger's Notebook
Gag Reel
Deleted scenes.

But I respect some people lacking a commentary listening to the main actor and the director talk about what brand coffee they drink before showing up on set is real important. For me, I rarely listen to them. But I do like looking at the equipment being used.

Anyway as I said before the movie doesn't really interest me. It's on my rent when the price drops list.
post #26 of 105 Old 08-28-2014, 05:03 PM
Toe
AVS Addicted Member

Actually, the CA2 3d Target blu version is going to be $19.99!

post #27 of 105 Old 08-29-2014, 01:45 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toe View Post
Actually, the CA2 3d Target blu version is going to be $19.99!
It shows $27.99 on the target.com website....is there a link for the $19.99 price?

Television: Panasonic TCP60-GT50
A/V Receiver: Pioneer Elite SC-65
Satellite: Dish Hopper with Sling
Fronts and Rears: Polk Audio (Vanishing Series) RT-65; Center: Polk Audio (Vanishing Series) 255-RT; Subwoofer: Definitive Technology Supercube 2000
3D Blu-Ray Player: Oppo BDP-93; Turntable: Pro-Ject Debut Carbon
post #28 of 105 Old 08-29-2014, 05:07 AM
Toe
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HJW in Hawaii View Post
It shows $27.99 on the target.com website....is there a link for the $19.99 price?

http://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=247416

post #29 of 105 Old 08-29-2014, 09:47 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Location: From Coconut Grove FL to the rest of the globe with TLC.
Quoted: 238 Post(s)
Liked: 75
Attention Marvel experts out there!!!!

What is the correct chronological order of the 3D Marvel titles?

I went to watch CA2 and realized that I had to watch the Avengers first.

So What is it?

the lantern
thor
CA1
avengers
ironman3
CA2

Are superman and spiderman also marvel?

Inquiring minds want to know, because on a server based system they could be cataloqued as M1-M2 etc..
post #30 of 105 Old 08-29-2014, 10:04 AM

Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked: 134
What's the lantern? I know Superman is DC, not Marvel.

I am sure a little googling will get you the answer you want.
Reply 3D Content

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page