Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 86 Old 11-17-2014, 06:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 14
i also asked this on this forum at the movie thread. and what i gathered was that the 3D was bad. after seeing how bad the 3D was in Captain America 2. i will never ever watch a 3D marvel movie again until they shoot the movie with 3D cameras.
post #3 of 86 Old 11-17-2014, 05:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 177 Post(s)
Liked: 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by d3code View Post
i also asked this on this forum at the movie thread. and what i gathered was that the 3D was bad. after seeing how bad the 3D was in Captain America 2. i will never ever watch a 3D marvel movie again until they shoot the movie with 3D cameras.
Agree about CAP, but I've heard that the 3D in GotG was actually pretty good! (Haven't seen it myself...but given the director, I'd think he would have had 3D conversion in mind.)

post #4 of 86 Old 11-17-2014, 07:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 65
I thought the 3D in Guardians of the Galaxy was very, very good. Director James Gunn shot the movie with 3D in mind and there was a constant sense of depth and quite a few pop-out moments (debris, business ends of various alien weapons, etc.). The movie is a post-conversion but since so much of the film involves green screen and CGI it was probably a lot easier to get a pleasing 3D presentation and Gunn goes for an often aggressive 3D image with very visible separation between foreground and background objects.

While I agree that the 3D in most Marvel movies is bad, and that Captain America 2 is particularly forgettable (especially after how Captain America: The First Avenger was such a good 3D conversion), Guardians is definitely in a different class. In fact, the Captain America 3D BluRay actually has a 3D trailer for Guardians and just from that you can see a dramatic difference in the quality of the 3D.
Don Landis and fmedrano1977 like this.
post #5 of 86 Old 11-18-2014, 02:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyDP View Post
I thought the 3D in Guardians of the Galaxy was very, very good. Director James Gunn shot the movie with 3D in mind and there was a constant sense of depth and quite a few pop-out moments (debris, business ends of various alien weapons, etc.). The movie is a post-conversion but since so much of the film involves green screen and CGI it was probably a lot easier to get a pleasing 3D presentation and Gunn goes for an often aggressive 3D image with very visible separation between foreground and background objects.

While I agree that the 3D in most Marvel movies is bad, and that Captain America 2 is particularly forgettable (especially after how Captain America: The First Avenger was such a good 3D conversion), Guardians is definitely in a different class. In fact, the Captain America 3D BluRay actually has a 3D trailer for Guardians and just from that you can see a dramatic difference in the quality of the 3D.
you do know, with replies like this, that you dont make my wallet any happier

i just watched the 3D trailer and indeed it looks pretty good. bit like Malificient,but it is missing the pop i like so much. i was so burned out with the 3D of captain America 2 that i had given up on marvel. so much money made, so little care about 3D.

lucky i have 2 more weeks to decide.
post #6 of 86 Old 11-18-2014, 07:01 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 13
hey amazon has guardians 3d on preorder for 19.99. I just bought one, hope the 3d isnt bad like some have said here.
post #7 of 86 Old 11-19-2014, 12:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by sleekgreek View Post
hey amazon has guardians 3d on preorder for 19.99. I just bought one, hope the 3d isnt bad like some have said here.
the best buy steelbook of the 3d+bluray edition is same price as well, $19.99
the steelbook is designed as the walkman like in the movie
post #8 of 86 Old 11-19-2014, 06:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 50
Looking forward to this one, we only saw it 2D in theaters, and I keep hearing good things about the 3D.

Welcome to Rivendell, Mister Anderson.
post #9 of 86 Old 11-19-2014, 09:50 PM

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 22
i saw the 3d version a couple of days ago..it looks fabulous (to me anyway).
post #10 of 86 Old 11-20-2014, 12:19 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 357 Post(s)
Liked: 171
FYI-

Im on board Disney Dream this week and they have a nice 3D Theater using the new Dolby 3D technology. This movie among several new releases, like Hero Big 6 and Planes 2 are showing this week. Unfortunately, there is so much to do that I haven't had much tome to schedule the showings. I did see Planes 2 in Dolby 3D and the picture quality and sound was quite good. I wanted to check out Guardians and Hero Big6 but it looks like I'll be with family on other activities at the time.

Anyway, the theater is still packed for these 3D movies. Seems 3D is alive and very popular here on Disney Cruise. But still the live stage and participation entertainment always takes preference to the 3D movies.

I do have a question about Dolby 3D. Are the passive glasses always chrome looking?
post #11 of 86 Old 11-21-2014, 10:14 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 16
The 3D is excellent with lots and lots of popout.
post #12 of 86 Old 11-21-2014, 10:48 AM

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by d3code View Post

Just curious as to the venue you were at when you saw CapAm2? I rented it last night from Sony Entertainment through my bluray player, and thought it was fine. I really liked the shots inside the hangar in preparation for the airships. The car-chase action on the roadway was very good. I have an Optoma 131x projector and a 159" Dalite highpower screen, and sit about 17 feet away. Screen fills up the whole wall in the basement. I thought the depth cues were good. Interesting that so many seemed to have had a bad 3D experience when watching it. I agree, there were few popouts (I think the spinning shield was one that came out of the screen), but most 3D is like that these days.
post #13 of 86 Old 11-21-2014, 10:57 AM
AVS Club Gold

Got a chance to see both Grardians and about 2/3 of Big 6. Both were excellent but I decided not to tale grandsons to see Guardians as we felt the story was too adult for 2 yr old and 5 year old. The two big theaters on the ship had shows staggering enough to catch some of the Big 6, enough to see the quality and know it will be on my shopping list.

Looks like I'll be buying both of these in 3D for my collection. Planes 2 3D was also shown but the story put me to sleep. It was just too long. Good 3D quality though.

Funny thing about Maleficent. The Cruise ship cancelled the 3D showing from the schedule. The reason was that on the first night the main stage had technical difficulties so they did a rerun of that stage performance later in the week and ran this show in the same time slot as Maleficent 3D.

The cruise ship ran each movie 3 times, once in 3D, once in 2D, and once in open caption 2D.
post #14 of 86 Old 12-01-2014, 12:44 AM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
"The changing aspect ratios in this case are actually a part of the storytelling."..........
https://www.facebook.com/jgunn/posts/10152466527914570

According to BluRay.com and others , The IMAX 3D version with changing aspect ratios made it to the 3D BluRay ........... while the 2D BluRay version will stick with 2:40:1 throughout .

http://www.imdb.com/news/ni57854705/
post #15 of 86 Old 12-01-2014, 12:54 AM

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 12
It's weird because there are so many movies with bad 3D, leaving a sour impression of 3D in general. Jack The Giant Slayer has really great 3D for example and was impressive throughout.

However there are many where you'd think the 3D would be amazing and it's a huge letdown - e.g. Thor, Star Trek.
post #16 of 86 Old 12-01-2014, 05:01 AM
AVS Special Member

agree. that said i watched guardians of galaxy 3D and it is great! marvel redeemed! and i can comfirm that the 3D bluray indeed changes aspect ratio through the movie. at least Uk edition.
old corps likes this.
post #17 of 86 Old 12-01-2014, 06:07 AM
Toe
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 315 Post(s)
Liked: 583
Quote:
Originally Posted by EVERRET View Post
https://www.facebook.com/jgunn/posts/10152466527914570

According to BluRay.com and others , The IMAX 3D version with changing aspect ratios made it to the 3D BluRay ........... while the 2D BluRay version will stick with 2:40:1 throughout .

http://www.imdb.com/news/ni57854705/

Uhggg..........thanks for the info. Hate variable aspect, but I guess we are forced to deal with it for the 3d version unfortunately. At least the 2d is constant aspect.

JVC 3D: Been there, done that, bought a DLP
post #18 of 86 Old 12-01-2014, 06:31 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toe View Post
Uhggg..........thanks for the info. Hate variable aspect, but I guess we are forced to deal with it for the 3d version unfortunately. At least the 2d is constant aspect.
What a PIA- My best presentation is with a masked screen for different AR's; when a movie is schizophrenic it really screws that option. If schizoid presentation is so good, why didn't they do it for the theater? Probably because the theater would hate it so much. What won't they think of next in their attempt to try to destroy 3D acceptance.

First we have Disney, making unusual delays in releasing 3D versions of their movies in the US that Bob Iger calls his strategic release plan to increase profits.
Now we have the studios making Schizophrenic Aspect Ratio. I will refer to this as "SAR"

Oh, I forgot that the studios also tried an earlier form of schizophrenic presentation when they made 2D for some scenes and 3D for others. I admit to being guilty of doing this in my own productions. I first saw this done in Tron 2. Here, the 3D was slated for a particular location and made some sort of sense. The SAR just appeared at random and made no sense.
Toe likes this.

Last edited by Don Landis; 12-01-2014 at 06:35 AM.
post #19 of 86 Old 12-01-2014, 07:29 AM
Toe
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 315 Post(s)
Liked: 583
Totally agreed Don. T4 had this SAR (I like your new labeling here ) as well and it made masking to a constant aspect ratio on my2.35 screen far from ideal as framing was all over the place. I can't stand this practice and hope it does not pick up steam with more releases. At least give us a 3d constant aspect option.

JVC 3D: Been there, done that, bought a DLP
post #20 of 86 Old 12-01-2014, 11:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Landis View Post

First we have Disney, making unusual delays in releasing 3D versions of their movies in the US that Bob Iger calls his strategic release plan to increase profits.
I don't think "delay" is the right word. That implies that 3D BDs in the U.S. are coming. And it appears that is not the case...unless you have heard differently. No 3D disc releases aren't a strategy; it appears to be their policy.

post #21 of 86 Old 12-01-2014, 11:30 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 519 Post(s)
Liked: 433
Quote:
What a PIA- My best presentation is with a masked screen for different AR's; when a movie is schizophrenic it really screws that option. If schizoid presentation is so good, why didn't they do it for the theater? Probably because the theater would hate it so much. What won't they think of next in their attempt to try to destroy 3D acceptance.
Guardians of the Galaxy had a variable aspect ratio in IMAX theaters. Non-IMAX theaters had a constant 2.40:1 ratio.

I agree with your dislike of the practice.

Josh Z
Writer/Editor, High-Def Digest (Blog updated daily!)
Curator, Laserdisc Forever

My opinions are my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of my employers.

post #22 of 86 Old 12-01-2014, 05:30 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by cinema13 View Post
I don't think "delay" is the right word. That implies that 3D BDs in the U.S. are coming. And it appears that is not the case...unless you have heard differently. No 3D disc releases aren't a strategy; it appears to be their policy.
I don't deny the facts. Frozen 3D being sold all over the country is proof enough for me that the release was delayed. Make all the excuses you want that this retailer and that retailer doesn't count, that unless it is restricted region code to US (A) it doesn't count. Do that if that makes you feel better. But the bottom line is all year until last month, Only Vudu sold it in the US and now Frozen 3D is being sold here. Will it take 9 months for Maleficent to be sold here? Will Planes 2 be sold here by next September? I don't know. I just know that the person who guessed October for Frozen 3D, was only a month off. I thought June and was off by 50%.

Look, we all want movies to be available to us when they first come out. But currently I know only one person who owns a major studio and theater chain who is on our side and that is Mark Cuban. Until the industry sees the light, we will be in the dark, for an unknown period of time. What I find somewhat forgiving is that Disney has made some of these titles available for digital streaming and the quality is quite good. If I want it, I can get it.
post #23 of 86 Old 12-01-2014, 05:35 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Z View Post
Guardians of the Galaxy had a variable aspect ratio in IMAX theaters. Non-IMAX theaters had a constant 2.40:1 ratio.
Sorry to hear that. Not that it matters, because I ordered the disk.
post #24 of 86 Old 12-01-2014, 11:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I don't deny the facts. Frozen 3D being sold all over the country is proof enough for me that the release was delayed. Make all the excuses you want that this retailer and that retailer doesn't count, that unless it is restricted region code to US (A) it doesn't count. Do that if that makes you feel better. But the bottom line is all year until last month, Only Vudu sold it in the US and now Frozen 3D is being sold here. Will it take 9 months for Maleficent to be sold here? Will Planes 2 be sold here by next September? I don't know. I just know that the person who guessed October for Frozen 3D, was only a month off. I thought June and was off by 50%.
Don, I know you are aware that there has been NO domestic release. What you have are some on-line retailers (as well as Disney themselves on the cruise you attended) selling import copies, Still no official U.S. release from Disney. And I doubt that there will be.

post #25 of 86 Old 12-02-2014, 03:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Location: Canada - West Island: Vancouver, South Direction: Go East
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 2327 Post(s)
Liked: 682
Don, you should be working for Disney 3D Blu-ray movie department. ...Here in North America.
post #26 of 86 Old 12-05-2014, 06:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by qdmorning View Post
Is this in good 3D?
It depends...of your TV. ...As if this was originally shot with 3D cameras; I just don't know.
post #27 of 86 Old 12-06-2014, 10:33 AM

Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Liked: 38
It was post-converted.

Samsung UN60HU8550
post #28 of 86 Old 12-06-2014, 11:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Tuesday night I shall see all about it. ...In 3D of course.
post #29 of 86 Old 12-07-2014, 11:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthSky View Post
Tuesday night I shall see all about it. ...In 3D of course.

Me 2.

Ed
post #30 of 86 Old 12-07-2014, 05:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 333 Post(s)
Liked: 227
I see this morning that it's being advertised for under $20. Smart marketing and it includes the blu-ray version, but like Apes, no sd version.
Reply 3D Content