3d missing from HBO and theaters in Cleveland - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 01-13-2015, 02:41 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 12
3d missing from HBO and theaters in Cleveland

The only 3D movie at the theaters for the last few days is The Hobbit. I checked HBO at home and there are no 3D movies there either.

I find a few on Stars and Netflix.

Not wanting to hear the "3D is dead" stuff that I am sure this post will bring out, but this does seem like a sudden change. I called my local Cinemark and was told that 3D movies are just not being offered to them at this time and they are sure they will be in the future. Aside from the 3D is dead stuff, is there any news on this?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 01-13-2015, 06:14 PM

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 37
There are no "new" 3D movies at the Box office right now all a 2D, except for Hobbit which is still going strong.

Exodus fell off too fast with average reviews

I know Playstation store has more 3D movies now than they ever have.... it's over 120 now , that is where i have been watching some of my movies from lately.

It will be a quiet January............. but there will be 3 new Movies in February and some great blockbusters to come !

http://pro.boxoffice.com/statistics/3d-release-calendar
post #3 of 6 Old 01-14-2015, 10:00 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked: 55
There are numerous 3rd titles on HBO...9 or 10. Might just be your provider.
post #4 of 6 Old 01-14-2015, 10:31 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 12
We have COX and HBO HD is still NOT showing any 3D titles or even an empty 3D folder. It used to. I called them and they said at first that HBO did not have 3D titles anymore. I then pushed the issue and they said if other providers have it then they must still be negotiating the software??? I have no idea what that means.

It is difficult to find proof that the 3D titles exist on HBO to share with COX. I am not sure that it would make any difference if they are preloaded with an answer like that and yet people here are saying that HBO does have 3D titles. I have few choices here as I like the high data rate offered by COX for my UHD Netflix, etc.

Thank you for your response.
post #5 of 6 Old 01-15-2015, 08:53 AM

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by MultimediaGeek View Post
The only 3D movie at the theaters for the last few days is The Hobbit.

Not wanting to hear the "3D is dead" stuff that I am sure this post will bring out, but this does seem like a sudden change. I called my local Cinemark and was told that 3D movies are just not being offered to them at this time and they are sure they will be in the future. Aside from the 3D is dead stuff, is there any news on this?

I have been having the same problem with my local theater. I e-mailed my local theater chain because I was unhappy they were not showing the HFR version of the new Hobbit movie in their venue closest to my town. Also, I mentioned about the poor scheduled times they use when they do screen a film in 3D.(You may note I have talked about this before) Anyway the district manager was kind enough to reply and I thought I would share it with you.

"I apologize that our show times for 3D films are not to your liking at the Airport Stadium 12. We do have full 3D show times for “The Hobbit” and some other blockbusters on its opening week. There are times when the studios give us a limited quantity of prints, forcing us to show a 2D/3D combination of a film. Usually when this happens, there’s a big gap between 3D show times like you’ve stated. We have stayed true to the wishes of the studios by playing 3D films even when they are not as popular as their 2D counterpart. This is especially true for kid’s film as the cost for families increases dramatically. As for HFR presentations, Roxy Stadium 14 is currently the only location in our circuit that offers this to the public. My apologies for any inconvenience this may have caused.

Informing our guests is one of our top priorities. As you’ve mentioned, our box office cashiers do confirm with our guests when they purchase a 3D film. This is not to deter the patron from watching the movie, this is to inform them that the movie they are watching is indeed in 3D. This is due to many guests returning for refund or exchange after they find out that they have purchased tickets to a 3D show. By confirming with our guests, it limits the amount of refund and exchanges made at the box office. The reality is there are only a select few that would opt to see a film in 3D instead of the 2D version. Sometimes the price difference is not even the reason, some just don’t like having to wear the 3D glasses or that it’s not very comfortable. Whatever the case may be, judging solely on attendance alone it is evident that the majority of the theatre industry’s guests prefer watching 2D films over 3D."

This is a very well run Northern California local theater chain and I thought their reply was interesting as I get the impression if the studios did not "request" it they would no longer show films in 3D. I'm a little confused about the "limited quantity of prints" part because these theaters are digital so I don't understand how "prints" work into this. But They usually show 3D at like 5:00PM and 9:50PM, not the best times if you work for a living, and usually only during the opening week.

Regarding the box office confirmation of the 3D ticket purchase I can totally understand but twice I have seen the box office person almost try to talk the patron out of a 3D showing. "You know this showing is in 3D, if you go to the next showing in 30 mins you can see the regular version and save money." To me that is more then just performing a double check and is certainly not promoting the 3D showing.

The most disturbing part of this e-mail to me was "Whatever the case may be, judging solely on attendance alone it is evident that the majority of the theatre industry’s guests prefer watching 2D films over 3D." I wonder if this is the industry wide feeling out there in the theatrical distribution world? If so we will be seeing less and less 3D product. I appears Disney and the TV manufacurers certainly feel this way about 3D home video and have acted on it. I still think there is a demand out there but as there is no promotion of 3D in general I think we will see it continue to wither.

I wanted to see Big Hero 6 in 3D but could not go the opening week and the theater dropped the 3D showings on week two so I will wait and buy the 3D blu-ray, however it looks like I will have to import it due to idiotic Disney Home Video management. In my area it appears you are forced to jump through hoops if you want to see 3D at the theater or at home. So bottom line, it appears this theater chain considers 3D dead and only has token showings to appease the studios. To them the end can't come to soon.
post #6 of 6 Old 01-15-2015, 03:58 PM

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
We do have full 3D show times for “The Hobbit” and some other blockbusters on its opening week
Opening week ,

It's funny ...... on "opening week" Hobbit was above 70% 3D attendance when theaters actually showed the movies in 3D , yet they still cut way back on 3D showings as soon as they fulfilled their so called obligations to the Studios.

I think they cut back because showing 3D movies is a lot more work..... like handing out & collecting all those 3D glasses. Also the less 3D movies they show the less 3D glasses they have to buy next time.

He ends his comments on a bunch of half truth's that tell me that a 3D movie is annoying to him & he only puts up with it because he has too. I wonder how many theater managers are just like him.

When I take the kids to the movies and give them the choice between 2D & 3D , you can guess what they chose every time .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply 3D Content

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page