The Hobbit, Battle of Five Armies 3D no spoiler review - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By d3code

post #1 of 10 Old 03-15-2015, 06:43 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 25
The Hobbit, Battle of Five Armies 3D no spoiler review

sometimes life can be good and you have friends the give you a nice surprise.

well in this case it was the Hobbit Five armies 3D bluray that i got together with penquins of madagscar 3D and exodus 3D.

the first thing that i noticed is how good this movie looks in 3D. actually it looks much better then Hobbit 1 and 2 extended editions in terms of detail. and this is find strange. i thought hobbit 1 till 3 were shot with same cameras. however the hobbit 3 bluray looks so much better then part 1 and 2 extended editions that i wonder if the problem lies with my projector or 3D glasses or player.

anyway talking about 3D. this movie is incredible. there are also some incredible pop out effects. the detail is staggering. for me this is the best 3D bluray i have ever seen. the detail is so good that i could even make out different grass straws. faces pop out of the screen. even when you see a shot of a valley. everything stays sharp and you see incredible detail everywere.

also the bridge sequence with leonidas is incredible in 3D.

Overall this is a perfect example on how 3D should be done.

This movie together with big hero 6 are the greatest movies i have ever seen in 3D on bluray.

that said i still wonder what the problem is with extended editions of the hobbit 1 and 2 3D blurays for me. it reminded me of Tron 3D bluray.

that movie i also found the detail lacking. could it be a problem with my benq projector or bluray player or is the reason that part 3 of the hobbit just looks that much better.

i wonder if i can somehow post pictures to show the difference between the 2.

that said if you love 3D, then this movie is a must buy. awesome pop out effects. great 3D detail and depth. and nice ending of part 1 and 2.

if we only could get lord of the rings series in 3D now
Don Landis likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 03-15-2015, 07:26 AM
Toe
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 736 Post(s)
Liked: 906
Thanks for the review. Curious to check out the 3d. Interesting you thought the 3d was so much better in this installment as the few other comments I have read say it is on par with the first two (which is good IMO as part 1 and 2 looked great in 3d IMO).

Unfortunately early word from bass heads is just like the previous two films, the balls have been cut off the mix as far as the low end. Oh well, at least the 3d sounds good from early reports.

JVC 3D: Been there, done that, bought a DLP

Last edited by Toe; 03-15-2015 at 09:55 AM.
post #3 of 10 Old 03-16-2015, 02:01 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toe View Post
Thanks for the review. Curious to check out the 3d. Interesting you thought the 3d was so much better in this installment as the few other comments I have read say it is on par with the first two (which is good IMO as part 1 and 2 looked great in 3d IMO).

Unfortunately early word from bass heads is just like the previous two films, the balls have been cut off the mix as far as the low end. Oh well, at least the 3d sounds good from early reports.
sorry Joe, but i dont have a very good sound setup to talk about the audio. for me it sound as good as any other bluray movie in that regard. i should actually upgrade my audio receiver and speakers. just money flows now in different directions at the moment except for buying 3D bluray movies that is
post #4 of 10 Old 03-25-2015, 08:23 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 631 Post(s)
Liked: 210
We watched this earlier this evening and it was spectacular! At first I tried to play it in my Oppo BD93 and the navigation was all screwed up. I couldn't get it to stay in play mode. Kept wanting to revert to the beginning and start over. Switched to my Sony BD6200 and it played great!

While the movie did have great 3D with some spectacular 3D scenes, the sound literally punched us in the gut with tremendous subsonic bass. The sound stage was really entertaining in and of itself.

The story, we felt was actually better than the first 2 as this one had plenty of action and lots of great 3D moments.

Now, I plan to go back and watch all 6 titles in order to really get the feeling of being in the Middle Earth world. Too bad LOTR is not in 3D. At least I have the BD version.

I'm using 2 15" subs Left and right driven by 1000w amp each plus twin 10" subs in a single enclosure driven with a 2Kw amp. If you have the power in your subs, you should be able to feel the bass. I don't agree the bass is cut off.

I rarely listen to reviews because most of the time I think they are wrong.

Last edited by Don Landis; 03-25-2015 at 08:31 PM.
post #5 of 10 Old 03-25-2015, 11:39 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Thanks for the review.
post #6 of 10 Old 03-26-2015, 05:24 PM
Toe
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 736 Post(s)
Liked: 906
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Landis View Post
We watched this earlier this evening and it was spectacular! At first I tried to play it in my Oppo BD93 and the navigation was all screwed up. I couldn't get it to stay in play mode. Kept wanting to revert to the beginning and start over. Switched to my Sony BD6200 and it played great!

While the movie did have great 3D with some spectacular 3D scenes, the sound literally punched us in the gut with tremendous subsonic bass. The sound stage was really entertaining in and of itself.

The story, we felt was actually better than the first 2 as this one had plenty of action and lots of great 3D moments.

Now, I plan to go back and watch all 6 titles in order to really get the feeling of being in the Middle Earth world. Too bad LOTR is not in 3D. At least I have the BD version.

I'm using 2 15" subs Left and right driven by 1000w amp each plus twin 10" subs in a single enclosure driven with a 2Kw amp. If you have the power in your subs, you should be able to feel the bass. I don't agree the bass is cut off.

I rarely listen to reviews because most of the time I think they are wrong.
Good to hear on the audio and I am looking forward to checking this out. Here are the low end measurements for those interested......

http://data-bass.ipbhost.com/index.p...scussion-poll/

Nothing hits strong below about 17hz, so certainly not a deep digger (3 star average extension rating) and level is also average (3 star), but it looks strong to ~20hz which is MUCH better than parts 1 and 2 which are a HUGE letdown in the low end. It wont be giving any of the 4-5 star LFE films a run for their money, but again a BIG improvement over parts 1 and 2. I'm looking forward to checking it out, but will probably wait and rent when it hits next month.

JVC 3D: Been there, done that, bought a DLP

Last edited by Toe; 03-26-2015 at 05:30 PM.
post #7 of 10 Old 03-27-2015, 08:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 30
I'm a LotR nerd to some degree. And I thought I was one of very few people to actually like Hobbit 1 and 2. But I despised #3 . I thought it was so bad it lessened the earlier films by destroying the story the first two movies worked so hard to establish.

I'm glad to hear its a great 3D demo disk. I fully expected that. Saw it on Imax 3D and it looked very slick (if not overly so- LOTS of CGI).
post #8 of 10 Old 04-05-2015, 04:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked: 109
I saw Battle of the Five Armies with my brother today in 3D on my 55" LG passive. I really enjoyed the first two movies in this trilogy and this last installment was great as well with some really good use of 3D and some pretty moving character moments at the end.

I know I'm in the minority here but I've found the prequels to be far more well paced and the characters were just more likable and interesting to me. I absolutely hated Elijah Wood and Sean Astin in the original 3 - their performances pretty much made those movies unwatchable for me. Still, I may have to give them another chance at some point down the road. A good 3D conversion would definitely make them more attractive.

Actually kind of sorry to see this franchise come to an end as I had finally warmed to Middle Earth.
post #9 of 10 Old 05-13-2015, 04:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 227 Post(s)
Liked: 157
Looking forward to my 3D copy on this. I already saw the movie in 2D, and it is my second favorite after ROTK. I really hated all the hobbits in LOTR. They were beyond annoying, Freeman's Bilbo was the only one I could watch.

sent via Morse code...........

The Hun
post #10 of 10 Old 05-13-2015, 07:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 49
i will watch this just because i've watched the first two hobbit movies and i'm hoping somehow that this one will be better than the first two. for me, the only thing worth watching in the first two were the 3d scenes with the dragon. other than that.....dark and boring. barely watchable.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply 3D Content
Gear in this thread