No Interstellar 3D Blu ray??? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 75 Old 04-01-2015, 11:57 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 49
No Interstellar 3D Blu ray???

you gotta be kidding me!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 75 Old 04-01-2015, 04:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked: 109
The movie was not shot or ever released in 3D. Director Christopher Nolan is something of a hater when it comes to the format.
kucharsk and old corps like this.
post #3 of 75 Old 04-01-2015, 05:43 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 274 Post(s)
Liked: 105
It would have been a great movie in 3d though! I might try and let my tv up convert it to 3d and give it a shot
post #4 of 75 Old 04-01-2015, 05:58 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Location: Canada - West Island: Vancouver, South Direction: Go East, dts:x Films: Under the Skin, 3D, Birdman, X_Machina, The Zero Theorem, Interstellar
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 4902 Post(s)
Liked: 2026
Can your Blu-ray player, or HDTV, or UHD TV, or AV receiver, or SSP upconvert the 2D picture into 3D. ...If yes try it; that is your very best shot because don't count on Christopher Nolan to direct a 3D flick, just no way Jose. And not only that but you are lucky to have sounds coming from your surrounds. ...Chris is from a similar Woody Allen's school when it comes to 'Sound'. He just go above Woody, with a higher overall volume level, and sticks with 5.1 sound. ...Marty Scorsese is another film director with a unique touch when it comes to Music soundtracks in his film (big Rolling Stones' fan).

Anyway, the sound here is loud in its overall awesomeness. ...Very pleasant for sound freaks, like I.
And no 3D picture; abso!utely not, ...not from Chris Nolan. ...Not in this galaxy, and not in this 'lower' technology of our times. ...I love 3D, but it is way way way far then being close to be perfect...perhaps in another ten years or more when all 3D glasses will become extinct for good.

Yeah, try the 2D>3D upconversion, and see if you like what it does.

Last edited by NorthSky; 04-01-2015 at 08:58 PM. Reason: short typo
post #5 of 75 Old 04-01-2015, 08:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Nolan is old school. Just be happy he makes talkies.
post #6 of 75 Old 04-01-2015, 09:01 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Location: Canada - West Island: Vancouver, South Direction: Go East, dts:x Films: Under the Skin, 3D, Birdman, X_Machina, The Zero Theorem, Interstellar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Worf View Post
Nolan is old school. Just be happy he makes talkies.
He would have been @ his place in the Charlie Chaplin's era. ...Or in a recent film like 'The Artist'. ...He did make 'Memento'. ...Remade 'Insomnia'.
post #7 of 75 Old 04-02-2015, 07:32 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyDP View Post
The movie was not shot or ever released in 3D. Director Christopher Nolan is something of a hater when it comes to the format.
my bad then. it was shown at the IMAX theatre and i just assumed it was in 3D. too bad.
post #8 of 75 Old 04-02-2015, 06:25 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 259 Post(s)
Liked: 92
I agree, would have been a great film for 3D but it was still a great film in 2D. I have to admit, between Interstellar and Gravity, probably the two best movies in the last 20 years.

This line intentionally left blank.
post #9 of 75 Old 04-03-2015, 01:16 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 631 Post(s)
Liked: 210
Some of these directors are just not up to the brain power to think in 3 dimensions.
I'm often amazed they are smart enough to use a green screen for some things. More likely they rely on their DP for the more technical aspects of the production and stay focused on the acting. I know the director I worked with on our TV show was a tough sell on green screen shooting. We finally agreed that I would just take care of it and he should stay focused on pulling performance out of our guests. An area that I have no patience for.
Don't assume all directors are experts in the more technical advances in production. Many are afraid of it, not that they hate it. Truth be told, they avoid stuff in the business they don't understand how to control so they won't come across as ignorant or incompetent.
post #10 of 75 Old 04-03-2015, 01:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 236 Post(s)
Liked: 81
Pearls before swine. Can you say "gild the lilly"? What's next - you're gonna ask if someone can jazz up Tolstoy's prose because Anna Karenina just isn't enough of a perfect book for you?

I saw Interstellar in glorious 70mm film in Hollywood - the idea of it being converted to 3D just makes me :facepalm:

smh
kucharsk likes this.

"Don't forget that a significant contribution made by the use of high-end cabling is emotional. Knowing that you have the best available causes the listening and viewing to be that much more enjoyable. Observable improvements make it even better."

-From a post on the audio video improvements forum
post #11 of 75 Old 04-03-2015, 10:15 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisreeves View Post
Pearls before swine. Can you say "gild the lilly"? What's next - you're gonna ask if someone can jazz up Tolstoy's prose because Anna Karenina just isn't enough of a perfect book for you?

I saw Interstellar in glorious 70mm film in Hollywood - the idea of it being converted to 3D just makes me :facepalm:

smh
it's not scripture, it's a movie...you know...entertainment. but hey, you got it your way on this one. you're the big winner!
chrisreeves and TonyDP like this.
post #12 of 75 Old 04-03-2015, 03:57 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisreeves View Post

smh
Just the opposite for me.
post #13 of 75 Old 04-03-2015, 04:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 54
Hm.. I'm not sure if anyone knows what gravitational lensing looks like up close in 3D.

But anyway, I'm a big stickler for director's intent.. so if it's not shot in 3D, I'm perfectly happy to watch it in 2D.

Welcome to Rivendell, Mister Anderson.
post #14 of 75 Old 04-04-2015, 09:12 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 149 Post(s)
Liked: 84
I saw it at our new Imax theater. For me, it cried out for 3D. Furthermore, I decided that, that enormous screen actually was a net minus. It degrades the resolution of the film and seeing giant people and faces that are 30' high, adds nothing. Soon after that, I saw the third Hobbit movie on that same screen. My impression was the exact opposite . It was a totally immersive feeling. I've decided that I don't intend to ever see a 2D movie on an Imax screen again, but will instead see them on a standard sized movie screen.

All that said, I do like this movie. We watched the BD last night at home on a 10' wide screen. Actually, I'm almost to the point where I like movies on a screen where the people and faces are closer to life sized better than on a larger movie screen. Also, the sound on this movie is nothing short of awesome- unless you're my wife who was trying to watch TV upstairs and was feeling her couch rattling from the 4 subwoofers in the theater room below.

My- mostly 3D- YouTube Channel:
http://www.youtube.com/user/Tarnway/videos?view=0

Barry C
post #15 of 75 Old 04-04-2015, 09:57 AM
Advanced Member

Im letting my Samsung 4k do the 3d conversion, its okay. I had to turn the settings way up but its still not enough. I hope one day there is a good 3d conversion. The first 3rd of the movie didnt need it, the other 2/3rds would have really made it more immersive
old corps and Barry C like this.
post #16 of 75 Old 04-04-2015, 10:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by mars5l View Post
Im letting my Samsung 4k do the 3d conversion, its okay. I had to turn the settings way up but its still not enough. I hope one day there is a good 3d conversion. The first 3rd of the movie didnt need it, the other 2/3rds would have really made it more immersive
I've experimented using the 3D conversion with my Panny bluray players and my Epson projectors. IMO it's not worth bothering with. Looks like crap.

Ed
Toe, dew42 and Barry C like this.
post #17 of 75 Old 04-04-2015, 10:49 AM
Advanced Member

I do wonder if my Sony 7200 can do a better job of converting to 3d, but never tried.
post #18 of 75 Old 04-04-2015, 11:21 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mars5l View Post
I agree with that, definite!y.

It would have been real cool if it would have been done exactly that way; where you put on your 3D glasses only for the second and third acts.

* I watched it last night, on a 60" plasma, and I was blown away by the audio soundtrack in my own living room theater.
Sure, it wasn't a big screen like when I saw it @ the theater, but on my smallish display I enjoyed the nice shiny quality picture, with lesser grain.

Next time that I watch it I will try 2D>3D conversion and from my Oppo BR player and from my Samsung TV, to see which of which does the better job.
And I have three other 3D Blu-ray players that also do 2D to 3D conversion so that I can check them too; two Sonys and one Samsung BR players.

Yes, 'Interstellar' asks us to be in 3D, that's fo sur. ...And with 3D sound too; DTS:X or Atmos. ...But lucky for the people who can enjoy it right now with Dolby Atmos' own Surround sound Up-mixer/processor; Dolby Surround Up-mixer (DSU) and/or with Auro-Matic 3D (up-mixer too).

Beam me Up into Orbit Scott! ...Right inside that wormhole.
post #19 of 75 Old 04-05-2015, 07:40 AM
Toe
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 736 Post(s)
Liked: 906
Quote:
Originally Posted by old corps View Post
I've experimented using the 3D conversion with my Panny bluray players and my Epson projectors. IMO it's not worth bothering with. Looks like crap.

Ed
Agreed. Pure garbage of the cheap converters I have tried and not worth it at all.

JVC 3D: Been there, done that, bought a DLP
post #20 of 75 Old 04-05-2015, 08:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Sounds like a dare. Guess I should try out the Ultra D converter,
post #21 of 75 Old 04-06-2015, 07:11 AM

Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 23
So, you wanted to see the black hole Gargantua in stereoscopy? A cardboard cutout of Cooper floating in blackness? Do you even know how human stereopsis works?
post #22 of 75 Old 04-06-2015, 07:23 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Optimus_Fine View Post
So, you wanted to see the black hole Gargantua in stereoscopy? A cardboard cutout of Cooper floating in blackness? Do you even know how human stereopsis works?
Sure do! Of course it wouldn't be equally effective in every scene. It never is in any movie. However, even in a scene like this, the feeling of depth could be greatly enhanced just by pushing the content further back into the window. I do this fairly often when editing 3D content. Also, there is no reason why Cooper would have to look like a cardboard cutout.

Of course, I'm talking about if the movie had been filmed in native 3D or well converted. I doubt that any home 3D conversion would look too swift.

Barry C

Last edited by Barry C; 04-06-2015 at 07:28 AM.
post #23 of 75 Old 04-06-2015, 07:50 AM

Pushing content further back is wrong, because when you show the same content on a screen at over 20 feet away, your eyes should diverge to look at the subject.
Also, any scene involving outer space and subjects over 20 feet away from the camera would be outside our stereopsis range.
post #24 of 75 Old 04-06-2015, 07:53 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Pushing content further back is wrong, because when you show the same content on a screen at over 20 feet away, your eyes should diverge to look at the subject.
Also, any scene involving outer space and subjects over 20 feet away from the camera would be outside our stereopsis range.
This is one where we can agree to disagree! I believe it would be effective, at least in creating a perception of depth.

Barry C
post #25 of 75 Old 04-06-2015, 08:03 AM

Take a picture of yourself with your eyes diverging, please. I'm curious how much comfortable you find it.
post #26 of 75 Old 04-06-2015, 08:08 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Take a picture of yourself with your eyes diverging, please. I'm curious how much comfortable you find it.
Well, I've stated my opinion and you've stated yours. At this point, now it's getting silly.

Barry C
post #27 of 75 Old 04-06-2015, 08:15 AM

It's because you didn't understand that putting beyond-screen stereo content and then projecting it on a screen 20 feet away from you makes it unwatchable, exactly because you'd need to DIVERGE your eyes (left eye looking to the left and right eye looking to the right) in order to match the two perspectives and fuse the object at focus.
post #28 of 75 Old 04-06-2015, 08:42 AM

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 31
I've always been amazed that Chris Nolan feels 3D is a gimmick but doesn't think changing aspect ratios throughout a film isn't. I don't mind it but it screams gimmick to me. I'm another one who thinks this film would have been great in 3D.
Josh Z, TonyDP and Barry C like this.
post #29 of 75 Old 04-06-2015, 09:06 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 631 Post(s)
Liked: 210
watched it the other evening in digital download and felt that most of the movie would not have been an added benefit in 3D. With the exception of traveling through the wormhole and other extraterrestrial activity. Generally the drama scenes were long winded, tiresome, and in 3D would have served only to give added eye fatigue. I just rented the movie and see no reason to buy it.
post #30 of 75 Old 04-06-2015, 09:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 336 Post(s)
Liked: 212
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomtastic View Post
Interstellar and Gravity, probably the two best movies in the last 20 years.
really ?

Ok, Gravity is legit, maybe a top 20 movie from the last 20 years, with the emphasis on "MAYBE". But Interstellar ? Nah man... not even close. Interstellar is a decent movie, but nothing to write home about.

Here are some of the best movies of the last 20 years:

The Prestige
District 9
Apocalypto
Inception
The Matrix
The Departed
Gladiator
Reply 3D Content
Gear in this thread - VW1100, by PriceGrabber.com