streaming Blu ray movies - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 04-10-2015, 07:09 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked: 83
streaming Blu ray movies

Hi all,

This Christmas I got my first projector finally. I have an Epson 5030UB and have started to dabble for the first time with 3d titles. Now I only own a couple actual blur ray discs which are the hobbit 1 and 2. A coworker gave me a couple files that he said would work in 3d. they are side by side images so watching them on a normal TV their are 2 side by side pictures. I wanted to test this out with my plex setup at home so I put one into my plex folder and gave it a try. After changing the projector 3d setup to side by side it did give me a 3d image. now I'm having a hard time telling if it's better, worse or indifferent as to the quality between this file and actual 3d discs played through my Sony BD player. Like I said I'm new to 3d and all the settings. Seems to me some scenes look very good and others I see what I guess is referred to as ghosting. I've tried to play around with the depth setting and can't tell what's best for this setting. Is it particular to the movie or would I be able to find a depth setting that I'm comfortable with and leave it alone after? Seems like to me 1 is the easiest on my eyes but am I loosing much of the 3d effect by lowering this setting? I really want to enjoy 3d and have people over to show it off but it kind of seems hit or miss to me at this point. Are there other settings I should look at in the 3d setup menu that can adjust things? Are these side by side copies just inferior to the actual disc? I would rather purchase the title anyway myself to have an actual disc to own. But my thought was down the road to get a 3d burner in my pc and turn my discs to files to play through plex like I do with my normal Blu ray discs. If I did would I need to convert them to these side by side type files?

Thanks in advance for any input. I will do more reading on the subject as well.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 04-10-2015, 07:38 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Seems from the reading I've done and someone please correct me if I"m wrong here is this. If it's in side by side or top and bottom that means most likely the disc is a boot leg copy. Also from what I've seen is that these formats will produce a worse picture due to the fact that your not getting the full FPS as it's split in half is this correct? Is it possible to make a digital 3d copy of a 3d disc that you own or should I just not even worry about it. I guess I don't watch 3d all that much and on those occasions it would be fine to just pop the disc in the old blu ray player. I'm just real big into home automation and I love having all my movies available through plex so i can stream them to anywhere but then again 3d I'd really only watch on my projector anyway so again maybe trying to rip them isn't really necessary and not worth the effort. I'd rather not loose PQ in doing so!
post #3 of 4 Old 04-10-2015, 02:25 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked: 86
Yes you can create an ISO file of a 3D disk, but only commercial software as in PowerDVD can play it back. In my opinion its not worth the hassle to use HTPC for full quality 3D, although SBS works fine if you are OK with the half resolution. I am using KODI for everything but 3D where a BR player just works the best.

"Smart enough to know better, to old to care" ------ Dedicated Home Theater, Mitsubishi HC7900DW Projector, 110" 16:9 Jamestown screen with variable power masking for CIW 2.35:1 to 2.50:1, Denon 1912 AVR, 7.1 with Ohm mains, Custom Built HTPC, 10TB NAS
post #4 of 4 Old 04-10-2015, 03:30 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Yea kind of what I thought. I'll probably not worry about ripping 3d discs and just use the discs. I don't have a big 3d library anyway.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply 3D Content
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page