4k and demise of 3D - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 4Likes
  • 3 Post By EVERRET
  • 1 Post By jvh4

post #1 of 10 Old 01-14-2016, 10:40 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 29
4k and demise of 3D

good article, looks like with the new UltraHD BD's coming out, our choice will be to either buy the UHD-BD OR the 3d/2d BD

http://www.highdefdigest.com/blog/ul...not-always-4k/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 01-14-2016, 06:20 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthJersey View Post
good article, looks like with the new UltraHD BD's coming out, our choice will be to either buy the UHD-BD OR the 3d/2d BD

http://www.highdefdigest.com/blog/ul...not-always-4k/

Quote:
That 4k TV You Just Bought Is Already Obsolete

For UHD you will need a new TV to show the enhanced colors and High Dynamic Range.

That article was one of the worst Anti 4K articles I have ever seen .

I wish they would just package them together since UHD players WILL play 3D HD Bluray movies fine.

Franchot, dhvsfan and MeasuredPath like this.

Last edited by EVERRET; 01-14-2016 at 06:24 PM.
post #3 of 10 Old 01-23-2016, 10:39 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Am I the only one that likes watching the occasional 3D movie?
post #4 of 10 Old 01-23-2016, 01:28 PM

Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked: 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by kherman View Post
Am I the only one that likes watching the occasional 3D movie?
Hehhhck no. Lots of 3D enthusiasts here on AVS and elsewhere, some more talkative on the topic than others. It's still, and probably forever will be, a pretty niche interest, but I've resigned to be ok with that as long as the 3D content keeps rolling out. Which it is for now.

Keep in mind the vast majority of summer blockbuster and tentpole films such as the various superhero/comic book-sourced films, forthcoming Star Wars sequels, Avatar sequels, various Pixar/Disney/Dreamworks animated films, and so on and so forth are still currently planned for 3D.

Of course nothing is written in stone, but I'm personally not someone who needs everything that's watched to be in 3D, even though that's my preferred viewing option when available. I'd rather a small number of high quality bold, strong 3D releases per year than a glut of lame, almost-2D releases.

It's those + poor quality theatrical showings (as in poor equipment, dim bulbs etc.) + crappy virtually non-existent marketing, anti-3D media, and anti-3D sales people at places like Best Buy that are all hurting 3D. In no particular order but 3D hate-mongering and snobbery in the media is high on the list imho. With everything it's been up against I'malmost surprised, but glad, that it has survived this long. But I actually think it's here to stay and if it got the right push, might even catch it's second (third? fourth?) wind. Guess we'll see.
post #5 of 10 Old 01-23-2016, 03:58 PM

Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked: 17
I would love for QuentinTarantino do a 3D movie. But just for the sake of filming that way and pretending he isn't using special cameras.

Thankfully though, the gimmickiness of 3D is mostly gone but it needs to just stop. I am referring to scenes like in Avatar when a character had a putter in his hands in the office. As soon as I saw the character with putter in hand I was thinking to myself, "no, don't do it. No, you can't. no". Followed shortly by "G$%^$W% it mother $##$ing son of a b%$#$% I want to kill someone.

I think it is here to stay. Eventually it will be "the norm".
post #6 of 10 Old 01-23-2016, 10:58 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Definitely never was a huge fan of 3d, but it's a shame the option won't exist for those that are adamant about it
post #7 of 10 Old 01-25-2016, 08:58 AM

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 40
The main take way from all of this is that we never learn. HD was a disaster with Bluray vs HD DVD. 3D was mishandled and is largely why it is only a niche, and now 4k is a half thought out standard. At the end of the day they get to sell us TVs and make money, and we all suffer. The decisions get made for us by people who have no clue.
jrm21 likes this.
post #8 of 10 Old 01-25-2016, 05:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 200 Post(s)
Liked: 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by jvh4 View Post
The main take way from all of this is that we never learn. HD was a disaster with Bluray vs HD DVD. 3D was mishandled and is largely why it is only a niche, and now 4k is a half thought out standard. At the end of the day they get to sell us TVs and make money, and we all suffer. The decisions get made for us by people who have no clue.

We don't have to suffer. Heck, I never purchased DVDs for the simple reason that I knew it was a "stop-gap" format. HD was already on laserdisc in Japan, and even VHS had an HD format. It seemed apparent that HD was the endgame, and DVD was just a small laserdisc with weaker audio,,,making it just a rental format for me.

Current 3D, however was a big change...no more uncomfortable cardboard "glasses." Now 3D was 1080p and looked great! And it further enhanced one's enjoyment in a movie as much as the intro of surround sound did. Getting 3D was an easy choice.

Currently, 8K prototype TV sets appeared at CES. Japan will be broadcasting the Olympics in 8K. But for now, the industry wants to sell 4K sets. Perceived difference to current 1080p...little to none. What's that? You already have one? Better check your set because it's already obsolete if it's lacking HDR. Content? Next to none. But don't worry...$400 - $500 MSRP UHD disc players will come soon. Discussions re: MARTIAN aside, you'll be able to watch movies from 2K DIs! Wow! What a way to see PINEAPPLE EXPRESS!

My point...no one needs to suffer...we can just sit this one out and see what happens. Each person makes those decisions for themselves. I know that I have yet to see any movie/show on a 4K set that made me think "What a difference! Gotta get one!" (As I did with laserdisc, HD, and 3D.)

A while back, I saw a semo clip of EXODUS on a 4K set. In that case, one thing I noticed is that it made the effects look more artificial. As a person who enjoys 3D for the added depth and immersion into a movie, seeing a format that makes a film seem less real didn't impress me. Nor does paying $30 for an upscaled FANTASTIC FOUR.

As I noted earlier, 8K will make its way to homes eventually, whether in 6 years or 10 years. I don't rebuy movies in every available format that appears...I only do that when the improvements are major...not negligible. And if the industry (an industry in which the only faith I have is in their cluelessness) doesn't even include a 3D option with the new discs, then it has even less value to me, so I pass and don't have to suffer. Personally, I probably won't go 4K until a 3D 4K projector hits the $3K price point. But that's just me.
post #9 of 10 Old 01-26-2016, 08:41 AM

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by film113 View Post
We don't have to suffer. Heck, I never purchased DVDs for the simple reason that I knew it was a "stop-gap" format. HD was already on laserdisc in Japan, and even VHS had an HD format. It seemed apparent that HD was the endgame, and DVD was just a small laserdisc with weaker audio,,,making it just a rental format for me.

Current 3D, however was a big change...no more uncomfortable cardboard "glasses." Now 3D was 1080p and looked great! And it further enhanced one's enjoyment in a movie as much as the intro of surround sound did. Getting 3D was an easy choice.

Currently, 8K prototype TV sets appeared at CES. Japan will be broadcasting the Olympics in 8K. But for now, the industry wants to sell 4K sets. Perceived difference to current 1080p...little to none. What's that? You already have one? Better check your set because it's already obsolete if it's lacking HDR. Content? Next to none. But don't worry...$400 - $500 MSRP UHD disc players will come soon. Discussions re: MARTIAN aside, you'll be able to watch movies from 2K DIs! Wow! What a way to see PINEAPPLE EXPRESS!

My point...no one needs to suffer...we can just sit this one out and see what happens. Each person makes those decisions for themselves. I know that I have yet to see any movie/show on a 4K set that made me think "What a difference! Gotta get one!" (As I did with laserdisc, HD, and 3D.)

A while back, I saw a semo clip of EXODUS on a 4K set. In that case, one thing I noticed is that it made the effects look more artificial. As a person who enjoys 3D for the added depth and immersion into a movie, seeing a format that makes a film seem less real didn't impress me. Nor does paying $30 for an upscaled FANTASTIC FOUR.

As I noted earlier, 8K will make its way to homes eventually, whether in 6 years or 10 years. I don't rebuy movies in every available format that appears...I only do that when the improvements are major...not negligible. And if the industry (an industry in which the only faith I have is in their cluelessness) doesn't even include a 3D option with the new discs, then it has even less value to me, so I pass and don't have to suffer. Personally, I probably won't go 4K until a 3D 4K projector hits the $3K price point. But that's just me.
Short term I'm fine with punting UHD. 3D is more important for me personally. Where I will suffer is when there is quality UHD 3D content, but I can't watch it because a couple of suits determined 3D wasn't important enough for the UHD disc standard.

Last edited by jvh4; 01-26-2016 at 08:41 AM. Reason: spelling
post #10 of 10 Old 01-26-2016, 09:58 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Bill Hunt of thedigitalbits.com had a better roundup of the UHD/non-3D discussion. Basically he's saying that 3D 4k would require processing that is not available in any TV/electronic currently (years away)that the spec group bypasses it in the current UHD spec. Basically they are awaiting for 3D without the need for glasses before moving forward on providing a new 3D specification, but that probably won't be present until 8K TV's are the standard.

http://www.thedigitalbits.com/column...ts/012016_1545
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply 3D Content