Star Wars: The Force Awakens 3D blu-ray.......Ever? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By Signs
  • 1 Post By TonyDP

post #1 of 20 Old 03-16-2016, 07:13 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2134 Post(s)
Liked: 2032
Star Wars: The Force Awakens 3D blu-ray.......Ever?

Ok, so a 3DBD pre-order doesn't yet exist anywhere for The Force Awakens.

Not amazon.com/amazon.de/amazon.co.uk., nor any of the other places that I checked offering the 2D pre-order.

And so far, there's no reports that the 3D blu-ray will happen.

Does anyone know anything about any rumors or leaks or or or or or.....?

It would be a shame if a 3DBD was never released.

Thought #AOY: So as a kid I tested the causality chain of something. When my cat was angry, she put her ears back. When that happened, I decided to push them forward, and then she purred. (!) Turns out that it's not that being angry causes the cat to push its ears back, but being angry and pushing their ears back are two parts of the same exact thing. She could not be angry with her ears forward.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old 03-16-2016, 07:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 195 Post(s)
Liked: 322
Supposedly it will be released at a later date. If ever.

Politics is like a corral, no matter where you are you'll always be shoveling it.
post #3 of 20 Old 03-16-2016, 07:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1332 Post(s)
Liked: 1193
Rumors say maybe late this year if it happens. Disney doesn't seem to like doing 3D though.

Samsung 55JS9000, Denon AVR-X2200w 5.1.2, Xbox One/PS4/Gaming PC, Samsung UBD-K8500
2x Elac F5/Elac C5/2x AR PS2052/2x Pioneer SP-T22A-LR/Power Sound Audio 15v w/ Anti-Mode 8033S-II
post #4 of 20 Old 03-16-2016, 07:20 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMFDMvsEnya View Post
Supposedly it will be released at a later date. If ever.
"Supposedly". The AVS cue for endless anxiety and disappointment....

Thought #AOY: So as a kid I tested the causality chain of something. When my cat was angry, she put her ears back. When that happened, I decided to push them forward, and then she purred. (!) Turns out that it's not that being angry causes the cat to push its ears back, but being angry and pushing their ears back are two parts of the same exact thing. She could not be angry with her ears forward.
post #5 of 20 Old 03-16-2016, 07:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 195 Post(s)
Liked: 322
You could simply assume it is not coming out at all and no longer need to worry about it.
Statement at StarWars.com about the SWTFA blu-ray release included a tentative fall release window.

http://www.starwars.com/news/its-tru...is-coming-home

"Note: The 3D version of Star Wars: The Force Awakens will be available later this year."

Politics is like a corral, no matter where you are you'll always be shoveling it.

Last edited by KMFDMvsEnya; 03-16-2016 at 07:27 PM.
post #6 of 20 Old 03-17-2016, 05:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 632 Post(s)
Liked: 1797
I am going to wait it out a few months. I did not watch in the theater, so I don't have to watch in April

LG 65EF9500 / Sony UHP-H1
AV7702mkII / Model 5000
Klipsch RF-7II's / RC-64II
Dual Rythmik FV15HP's
post #7 of 20 Old 03-17-2016, 05:14 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked: 366
i think it will be released somewhere between..

the extended version

the directors cut

the limited edition

the limited edition box set

the free lego lightsaber edition

the... etc... etc...

think you get my drift
Tom Monahan likes this.
post #8 of 20 Old 03-17-2016, 07:06 AM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Signs View Post
i think it will be released somewhere between..

the extended version

the directors cut

the limited edition

the limited edition box set

the free lego lightsaber edition

the... etc... etc...

think you get my drift
I was upset to see this as well. I have recently began to dabble in 3d again after getting a new TV and thought it would be a great one for my collection. I hate buying a movie and then having to buy again just for 3d, so that really sucks.
post #9 of 20 Old 03-17-2016, 07:38 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Well I've had to buy stuff from Germany and England before (verify region-free before you do!), so I'm hoping it'll be available sooner overseas.

But this pisses me off, because I held off on going to the theater by assuming (duh) that the 3D one would be released at least in some country somewhere.

post #10 of 20 Old 03-18-2016, 05:07 AM

Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked: 366
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgm1024 View Post
Well I've had to buy stuff from Germany and England before (verify region-free before you do!), so I'm hoping it'll be available sooner overseas.

But this pisses me off, because I held off on going to the theater by assuming (duh) that the 3D one would be released at least in some country somewhere.
Can't see that happening as we have to wait a couple of weeks after you for the standard release !
post #11 of 20 Old 03-18-2016, 07:02 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Signs View Post
Can't see that happening as we have to wait a couple of weeks after you for the standard release !
Not so sure. I've purchased 3D titles only available in UK or Germany before. And there was one that I could buy from amazon.com (Maleficent) only months and months after I was able to get it from Germany.

Thank goodness that English is the defacto language in the world, because on the German title I got it's the default when the blu-ray spins up.

post #12 of 20 Old 03-27-2016, 06:10 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Disappointing, it looks like they want us to double dip.

I saw it twice in theaters in 2D, because it was a choice between 2D original English or 3D Japanese dub. I've had it in my mind that the home release will be exciting because I'll get to see it in its full visual glory in 3D for the first time. But not yet.
post #13 of 20 Old 04-05-2016, 09:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 451 Post(s)
Liked: 194
Yep I watched it twice in 2D because I thought, well I'll "save" 3D for home. I did enjoy the movie but I'm going to show some restraint and not let disney rip me off. I am not going to be double dipping. I will wait until they actually give me the version I want.

Main room (3D blu ray, PS4) - LG 65EG9600: Denon x4000, Klipsch RC-62II, RF-62II x2, RS-41II x2, SVS PC-12NSD + Klipsch RW12d
Couple small LCDs - PS2, PS1, Dreamcast, N64, 3DO, Saturn and other various retro game collections MINT COMPLETE games
post #14 of 20 Old 04-05-2016, 10:17 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

You can register to receive an update when it's available here:

http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Star-W...Blu-ray/64238/

But is that just "available anywhere at all" or just available in the US?

I've bought from Amazon.de and Amazon.co.uk before (region free), so I'd love an alert from anywhere.

post #15 of 20 Old 04-11-2016, 06:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 540 Post(s)
Liked: 185
Just viewed the 2D version last night, borrowed a copy. Will buy when the 3D version is released. Very impressive. Better than EP 1-3, actually, it might be the best one yet, at least as good as EP 4-6.

I have to say this is a major blunder not releasing the 3D version at the same time. Every studio besides Disney releases the 3D at the same time. But it's Disney. They want to sell you the tickets, then the home release. Now they are trying to do the same with 3D, release that later and then the special edition with 2 mins of footage added, then the 4k version probably next year. Then after 2 or 3 years they'll release it all as a single bundle. Plus it's Star Wars so in order to make everyone happy they need to have all versions ready including the despecialized original version so the purists don't get left out.

This line intentionally left blank.
post #16 of 20 Old 04-11-2016, 08:19 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Having released a 3D version at the theater, I'm sure they will release a 3D BD -- at some point, probably just before SW VIII. This moive is too big not to. I can dream and hope they are planning something else along with it -- like Peter Jackson did with the extended versions of LOTR and the Hobbit. Of course, he had an excuse -- adding 20-40 more minutes of story and the famous appendices. I doubt this will happen. But with LOTR it was announced upfront what was going to be, so people could make an informed choice. Disney is silent. To me, this means they just want to milk the 2D sales and then hope for people to double dip later for the special additions (with action figures), and 3D. I wouldn't be surprised at all if they release a stand alone 3D without 2D, so after waiting months for the 3D we still have to buy the 2D separately. At least it will be cheaper then. I, for one, will wait.
post #17 of 20 Old 04-11-2016, 08:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 540 Post(s)
Liked: 185
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisagon View Post
Having released a 3D version at the theater, I'm sure they will release a 3D BD -- at some point, probably just before SW VIII. This moive is too big not to. I can dream and hope they are planning something else along with it -- like Peter Jackson did with the extended versions of LOTR and the Hobbit. Of course, he had an excuse -- adding 20-40 more minutes of story and the famous appendices. I doubt this will happen. But with LOTR it was announced upfront what was going to be, so people could make an informed choice. Disney is silent. To me, this means they just want to milk the 2D sales and then hope for people to double dip later for the special additions (with action figures), and 3D. I wouldn't be surprised at all if they release a stand alone 3D without 2D, so after waiting months for the 3D we still have to buy the 2D separately. At least it will be cheaper then. I, for one, will wait.
Well, they have annonced the 3D version, it's later this year. I doubt there will be an extended edition. The difference is that Peter Jackson makes 3 1/2 movies that have to be trimmed down because people can't sit that long in the theater and who could blame them? You practially have to pack a lunch. With Abrams it's more likely the scenes that were cut were necessary cuts for plot and timing.

This line intentionally left blank.
post #18 of 20 Old 04-11-2016, 05:14 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomtastic View Post
Just viewed the 2D version last night, borrowed a copy. Will buy when the 3D version is released. Very impressive. Better than EP 1-3, actually, it might be the best one yet, at least as good as EP 4-6.
Totally agree. I watched the 2D from Redbox a few days ago. I didn't watch it at the local theater when it was showing as I plan on buying the 3D version if it is ever made available.

post #19 of 20 Old 04-13-2016, 09:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 35
I would have paid a fair amount for the 3D but I watched it for .50 from Redbox and I'm over it. I enjoyed it in the theater for the trip down memory lane but it doesn't have the rewatchability I thought it would. So they really did destroy any equity they had with me by toying with the release window.
post #20 of 20 Old 04-13-2016, 07:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 266 Post(s)
Liked: 161
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolhand View Post
I would have paid a fair amount for the 3D but I watched it for .50 from Redbox and I'm over it. I enjoyed it in the theater for the trip down memory lane but it doesn't have the rewatchability I thought it would. So they really did destroy any equity they had with me by toying with the release window.
Same here. I was never able to make time to see it at the movie theater and was waiting for the 3D BluRay version. A friend loaned me the 2D BluRay and the movie was a major disappointment. I don't want to derail the thread by turning it in a Star Wars review but suffice it to say it had none of the charm or heart of the originals. For all their problems, the prequels at least tried to tell a new story, this thing was just a rehash of Episode IV that tried to one-up the original (bigger death star, bigger villain hologram, older wise force user, etc.). It was a typical JJ Abrams movie: slick, nice to look at but really by the numbers and utterly heartless.

Disney should have released the 3D version day and date with the 2D version; I would have blind bought it. Now, having seen it, the 3D would not be enough to redeem it for me so no need to waste my money.
Stereodude likes this.

Xbox Live: XboxPhantom
PSN: TonyDP
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply 3D Content