3D content format? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews

Forum Jump: 

Old 04-21-2016, 08:54 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
3D content format?

I got a new TV yesterday with 3D capability. It has a LG panel so I am pretty sure it has passive 3D.

I tried one of the movies that's included with the TV, the picture is fuzzy without the glasses but 3D comes to full effect once you put the glasses on. So far so good, it's exactly like the 3D movies in theaters.

Then I went to play with the settings, I noticed that I have the 3D option for side-by-side, top-to-bottom, or automatic. I recall seeing screenshots of 3D movies with 2 identical image on the left and right side of the screen (so I assume that's the side-by-side in the setting). Judging by the name, top-to-bottom should be 2 identical images on the top and bottom of the screen right?

If that's the case, then I am curious, what is the 3D format for the movie I just saw? The one with fuzzy image without glasses just like in the movie theater?

I tried to google but can't seem to find the answer.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-21-2016, 02:24 PM

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Frame-packed Blu-ray 3-D format.

-------------
Old 04-21-2016, 08:34 PM

Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked: 86
Blu Ray 3D format is indeed frame-packed, typically encoded as MVC. The MVC encoding method allows multiple video streams to be encoded in a single file. For 3D, the left and right eye images are streamed in a top and bottom type of format with certain amount of space between them, and a bit of info that tells the display it is receiving a 3D signal/video stream.

Regardless of the format of 3D image being received - frame-packed, side-by-side, over-under - LG passive panels display the 3D imagery in an interlaced format with each horizontal line of imagery representing either the left or right eye image respectively. A polarized film over the screen combined with polared filters in the glasses ensure that the left and right eyes see only the image meant for them, with one eye seeing all even rows and the other seeing only the odd rows.

On 4K panels each eye sees all 1080 rows of image data, and in perfect sync. I personally prefer this over active but there are some that seem to prefer active and I have no issue with that. I enjoyed my active 3D LaserVue immensely while it lasted (but I enjoy my LG even more). Enjoy 3D in whatever format that works best for you. Although if someone told me they thought anaglyph 3D looked best I might scratch my head in befuddlement for a few.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement