What happened to Doctor Strange 3D on BD? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 12Likes

post #1 of 56 Old 03-29-2017, 10:00 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked: 88
What happened to Doctor Strange 3D on BD?

Everyone is out. Amazon, Target, Best Buy, WalMart, and Fry's. All I see available now are scalpers flipping copies for inflated prices.

This is a new title. Is it out of print already?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 56 Old 03-29-2017, 07:09 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 866 Post(s)
Liked: 306
So it would seem. Just came out a month ago.

This line intentionally left blank.
post #3 of 56 Old 03-29-2017, 07:18 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 94 Post(s)
Quoted: 436 Post(s)
Liked: 644
Was wondering the same thing. No stores in town have it and only a few scalpers online with very high prices. Crazy. Hope it comes back in stock soon!

post #4 of 56 Old 03-30-2017, 04:37 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 861 Post(s)
Liked: 768
I grabbed mine on release day and there were a ton of them at my local BB. Wonder if there was a bug run on them? Must have been.

LG OLED65E6P, Samsung PN64H5000
Samsung UBD-8500K, LG BD 570
Polk RTi Towers, STi surrounds
Polk Subwoofer
Sony DH550 AVR
post #5 of 56 Old 03-30-2017, 09:22 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by SBuger View Post
Was wondering the same thing. No stores in town have it and only a few scalpers online with very high prices. Crazy. Hope it comes back in stock soon!

https://www.zavvi.com/blu-ray/doctor.../11357438.html
post #6 of 56 Old 03-30-2017, 09:37 AM - Thread Starter

Yeah, zavvi and amazon.co.uk have it in stock at a reasonable price (thank you Brexit and low GBP). But the european copies don't come with digital code. I guess I'll just wait for the next US batch or buy it on VUDU.
post #7 of 56 Old 03-30-2017, 06:53 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 71
The shortage is probably caused by Amazon customers shopping for Doctor Strange elsewhere as Amazon is fighting with Disney. I can't even find a copy of Rogue One 3D to pre-order other than a steelbook at Bestbuy (in Canada).
post #8 of 56 Old 03-30-2017, 08:37 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 94 Post(s)
Quoted: 436 Post(s)
Liked: 644
I ordered it online here from best buy last night. Got an email today saying it shipped out today ...woohoo!
post #9 of 56 Old 03-30-2017, 09:59 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 571 Post(s)
Liked: 309
Quote:
Originally Posted by dew42 View Post
The shortage is probably caused by Amazon customers shopping for Doctor Strange elsewhere as Amazon is fighting with Disney. I can't even find a copy of Rogue One 3D to pre-order other than a steelbook at Bestbuy (in Canada).
I believe the 3d version is a best buy exclusive...
post #10 of 56 Old 03-31-2017, 05:34 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 29
I got my copy of Doctor Strange in 3D at my local supermarket two weeks ago.
Came back a few days later for something completely different and noticed a hole in the shelf where the Doctor Stange boxes used to be.
It looks like Disney underestimated the demand for this BluRay 3D.

Passive 3D, forever !
My Full-HD dual-projector passive polarised 3D setup. (really out of date ! I need to update it some day...)

post #11 of 56 Old 03-31-2017, 06:30 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Target had a 3D exclusive too and I think Walmart. I noticed BB had copies online still. Moana was out of stock on Amazon too. Maybe the Blu ray 3D releases are downscaling in wake of the 3D TV market demise?

post #12 of 56 Old 03-31-2017, 10:38 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
http://www.target.com/p/rogue-one-a-...l/-/A-52235269
post #13 of 56 Old 03-31-2017, 10:42 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked: 102
Rogue One 3d at Best Buy

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/rogue-on...?skuId=5734302

'...have an A1 day!'
post #14 of 56 Old 03-31-2017, 10:44 AM - Thread Starter

It is nice to see it back in stock at bestbuy.com. I have to admit I am balking at the cost though; with tax and shipping it's nearing $40. For some reason there is no free option to ship to store.
post #15 of 56 Old 03-31-2017, 10:51 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked: 161
I was fortunate to get my 3D copy early on. It's excellent but, no Atmos soundtrack!!! This is a fing rip off by studios. What if I, the viewer and end user of the the film, prefer to view this particular film in 3D? I have to sacrifice the Atmos soundtrack to enjoy 3D. This is not fair to the actual people that support this industry, the end user. The guy or gal that plops down up to 30 bucks for a 3D copy of the film. Atmos or DTS X should be included from standard Blu ray on up. Dammit!
post #16 of 56 Old 03-31-2017, 01:36 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by john barlow View Post
I was fortunate to get my 3D copy early on. It's excellent but, no Atmos soundtrack!!! This is a fing rip off by studios. What if I, the viewer and end user of the the film, prefer to view this particular film in 3D? I have to sacrifice the Atmos soundtrack to enjoy 3D. This is not fair to the actual people that support this industry, the end user. The guy or gal that plops down up to 30 bucks for a 3D copy of the film. Atmos or DTS X should be included from standard Blu ray on up. Dammit!
Sort of like how Cowboy Beebop DVD has the remastered 5.1 track but the BD with remastered video only has the stereo track. Why do they do this to us???

Hmmm, now I am picturing each disc in a different player. 2D/atmos hooked up to AVR. 3D hooked up to the TV. Get both discs playing and paused on the first chapter stop. Then unpause simultaneously.

Or Oppo just makes a dual tray player for this purpose.
post #17 of 56 Old 03-31-2017, 01:49 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 6
Quote:
Which release are you talking about? Neither Doctor Strange nor Rogue One have Atmos soundtracks in either 2D or 3D. Disney hasn't released any discs with Atmos or DTS:X yet.

Fantastic Beasts, however, has an Atmos track on the 2D disc but only DTS-HD MA 5.1 on the 3D disc. That's a WB release.

WB did something similar with their Gravity: Diamond Luxe edition. The 2D disc got an Atmos upgrade while the 3D disc was completely omitted from the set. If you wanted 3D, you had to buy it separately, and it was only 5.1 as well.

On the other hand, they've managed to fit both 3D and Atmos on releases like Mad Max: Fury Road. Inconsistent and frustrating for consumers who want both 3D video and audio at the same time.
john barlow and EVERRET like this.
post #18 of 56 Old 03-31-2017, 11:07 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
You know there has to be a way to get both. If they include it on the 4K disc, possibly with just hardware for right now. You play that disc in one player and just feed the audio, then the 3D disc for the video. Get the timing right, you get the picture. If it's a combo pack then you have both discs anyway, but that would require running a second player, maybe direct to your display or thru a separate AVR unless you can switch it for audio on another input for atmos. If I had a UHD player I would test this, I'm pretty sure it would work fine.

Well, of course that's not ideal if you need to pause or whatever. Now, if we ever get to the point of backup software for UHD discs, it would be easier to get them united in one file, then it's just a matter of the media player outputting Atmos. I don't have Atmos right now so I'm not really worried about it yet. Maybe if the software arrives they can be combined at some point, obviously not officially.

post #19 of 56 Old 03-31-2017, 11:09 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Actionable Mango View Post
Sort of like how Cowboy Beebop DVD has the remastered 5.1 track but the BD with remastered video only has the stereo track. Why do they do this to us???

Hmmm, now I am picturing each disc in a different player. 2D/atmos hooked up to AVR. 3D hooked up to the TV. Get both discs playing and paused on the first chapter stop. Then unpause simultaneously.

Or Oppo just makes a dual tray player for this purpose.
Yeah, I just saw your post, beat me to it. Yeah, not ideal but it should work.

post #20 of 56 Old 04-04-2017, 04:32 PM

Quoted: 250 Post(s)
Liked: 117
I picked up my copy a few weeks ago. It's one of the best 3D movies i've seen to date.
post #21 of 56 Old 04-05-2017, 06:00 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I didn't much care for the movie itself, the 3D was fine though.

post #22 of 56 Old 04-06-2017, 10:54 PM

Zavvi is listing Doctor Strange 3D and Rogue One 3D as region free. Amazon.co.uk shows them as region B. This may be that the 3D disc is region free and the 2D disc is region B. Don't know. I ordered them both from Amazon.co.uk but Rogue One isn't out until April 10 in the UK.

Bestbuy.ca sold out of Rogue One 3D in hours and may not get more. Target does ship to Canada but it ends up being 2X as much.

Disney really does not want me to buy 3D and I don't want 2D. I think I'm not going to bother with Moana. It's actually a sold out exclusive too.
post #23 of 56 Old 04-07-2017, 07:45 AM

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 29
I wonder if the reason Atmos is not found on most 3D disks is the added bitrate requirement? Combined with the higher bitrate of the 3D picture, it might push the combined bitrate too high for players, or might force the need for multiple disks for the content.
mttpalmer likes this.
post #24 of 56 Old 04-10-2017, 10:05 AM - Thread Starter

Best Buy seems to be going in and out of stock. I managed to snag a "pick up in store" copy, but then got notification that it sold out before mine could be reserved for pickup. Switched order to a different store and same thing happened. Switched to a THIRD store and finally got a copy reserved for me. I better go pick it up before it "disappears".

Quote:
Bestbuy.ca sold out of Rogue One 3D in hours and may not get more. Target does ship to Canada but it ends up being 2X as much.
You might want to read some reviews on Rogue One in 3D before you decide how much you are willing to pay extra for it. Most are disappointed with the 3D.
kwok lau likes this.
post #25 of 56 Old 04-10-2017, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Actionable Mango View Post
You might want to read some reviews on Rogue One in 3D before you decide how much you are willing to pay extra for it. Most are disappointed with the 3D.
I ended up paying less at amazon.co.uk than buying from bestbuy.ca. I saw a positive review of the 3D from someone with a projector. My guess is Disney didn't properly calibrate the Blu-ray for smaller home screens. If that is the case, it is easy to crank up the 3D separation on my system. In any case, it is Star Wars and I plan to see it at least once in 3D.
post #26 of 56 Old 04-10-2017, 11:31 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geraldius View Post
I wonder if the reason Atmos is not found on most 3D disks is the added bitrate requirement? Combined with the higher bitrate of the 3D picture, it might push the combined bitrate too high for players, or might force the need for multiple disks for the content.
I doubt that's it. Blu ray.com reported only 27 mbit/s for MVC and the movie is less than 2 hours. MVC can be as high as 40 mbit/s max so not near that and they used a 50GB disc. San Andreas is same length movie and it has Atmos. I haven't checked the MVC bit rate, I'll check and see where it's at but I don't think it's a space issue or bit rate limit.

Disney in general, hasn't released any UHD discs yet, correct? Including Marvel? It's likely they will at some point, but they're not ready to right now. Since they haven't added UHD discs to release schedule, I wouldn't expect Atmos either.

Passengers is an example where there is a 4K disc with Atmos and 3D/2D disc with DTS HD MA. I don't know how Sony went about it. Maybe they have a contract with Company A that handles the UHD releases and they offer Atmos, so it's included as standard. And maybe they have the same outfit or another outfit handle the 3D disc which is only setup for DTS HD MA. I don't know what the case is but it's likely cost and what they're currently using. Just my guess. Could be they did it intentionally too to make the UHD discs more up scale from the 2D/3D discs, I can see doing that for the 2D release but 3D seems wrong. I doubt that's it though, probably just what they've been using for 2D and 3D replication company isn't using Atmos yet or charges more for it. Other studios are getting it done though so it can work, physically. Has to be logistics.

Last edited by tomtastic; 04-10-2017 at 11:51 PM.
post #27 of 56 Old 04-11-2017, 09:52 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 366 Post(s)
Liked: 160
Marvel's Iron Man Trilogy has been released in 4k w/ HDR in Germany, but the user reviews aren't the greatest for the PQ
post #28 of 56 Old 04-12-2017, 01:59 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomtastic View Post
Passengers is an example where there is a 4K disc with Atmos and 3D/2D disc with DTS HD MA. I don't know how Sony went about it. Maybe they have a contract with Company A that handles the UHD releases and they offer Atmos, so it's included as standard. And maybe they have the same outfit or another outfit handle the 3D disc which is only setup for DTS HD MA. I don't know what the case is but it's likely cost and what they're currently using. Just my guess. Could be they did it intentionally too to make the UHD discs more up scale from the 2D/3D discs, I can see doing that for the 2D release but 3D seems wrong. I doubt that's it though, probably just what they've been using for 2D and 3D replication company isn't using Atmos yet or charges more for it. Other studios are getting it done though so it can work, physically. Has to be logistics.
Sony and Fox intentionally put Atmos/DTS:X only on their 4K discs. The 1080p versions get the downrezzed 5.1/7.1 tracks. Quite infuriating.
post #29 of 56 Old 04-12-2017, 02:10 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 452 Post(s)
Liked: 187
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthJersey View Post
Marvel's Iron Man Trilogy has been released in 4k w/ HDR in Germany, but the user reviews aren't the greatest for the PQ
for $51 shipped by amazon, I'll give the three a whirl!
post #30 of 56 Old 04-22-2017, 07:25 PM

I received Doctor Strange 3D and Rogue One 3D Blu-ray from amazon.co.uk.

Both show region A,B,C (i.e. region free) on the back cover. Both play fine on a North American player.

I got to watch Rogue One on a LG OLED 65 E6 panel. The 3D was impressive. I'm baffled by the negative reviews.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply 3D Content

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page