"I'm here to keep 3D alive." - Page 2 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 18Likes

post #31 of 40 Old 09-06-2017, 08:41 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Deja Vu,
Just curious, what's wrong with the 120" projector in your 3D experience?
I've bought the 77" G6, I'm still designing the theater with a roll down screen in front of the TV.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 40 Old 09-07-2017, 09:21 AM

Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deja Vu View Post
I own several 3D projectors (120" screen) and two E6 OLEDs. The OLEDs produce the very best 3D I've seen and a 77" would be very nice. Just turn off the lights and move your seat closer for an immersive experience.

As a very nice bonus the LG OLEDs have very good 2D to 3D conversion if you customize it -- go into 3D settings and change point-of-view to minus 6 or minus 7 and depth to plus 14 or plus 15. I've now lost all interest in 4K.

OLED = ghost-free very bright passive 3D with infinite contrast -- it doesn't get any better than this!

I have been hooked as well since August when I got my 3D Oled. I have been getting almost every 3D Blu-ray movie released possible for all different regions. I had a good collection but realized it was only about 50%. I went back and bought the ones I didn't have or didn't have the 3D version. I spent about $2000 buying about 200 movies so far this month alone. I thought I was finished but there are some gems left that are rare to find and more expensive. Something about watching movies in 3D is not like watching a movie on a TV.. it's like a window thru movie sort of... hard to explain but it's incredible experience that no matter how great a 2D movie is, it cannot replicate it.
post #33 of 40 Old 09-07-2017, 05:25 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 944 Post(s)
Liked: 966
Quote:
Originally Posted by AudioQuestions View Post
Deja Vu,
Just curious, what's wrong with the 120" projector in your 3D experience?
I've bought the 77" G6, I'm still designing the theater with a roll down screen in front of the TV.
If you want completely ghost-free then you have to go with a DLP projector and you'll lose those great blacks you have with the OLED. Also, none of the 3D projectors under $20,000 will be nearly a bright as an OLED in 3D mode. The newer JVC projectors offer the best overall 3D experience I've seen with front projectors but you still get occasional cross-talk and even with a HP screen they can't get as bright -- they're really good and if flicker isn't an issue with you then one of these projectors is a good choice.

IMO, if you want the absolute best 3D then go with one of LG's OLEDs and turn off the lights and sit six or seven feet back -- what a treat! Bigger isn't always better.

If all TVs were as good back in 2010 with displaying 3D as LG's OLEDs are we wouldn't be having this discussion. It's a real shame LG dropped 3D. It could have owned the 3D TV market.

post #34 of 40 Old 09-07-2017, 09:42 PM

Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Is the Sony VW675ES a DLP?

I saw the 675 in person for a 3D demo recently.
I didn't get crosstalk or ghosting. And I have some advice on flickering.
But it wasn't exactly perfect either. On the 675 I experienced good depth, but things that popped out on my hoe LCD didn't really pop out on the 675. It could have been a bad setting, or I wasn't in an optimal spot (too low). But for some reason the pop up menu was capable of popping out.

Sony has said their new active glasses avoid flickering, however in my experience this is only partly true. Halogen lights in the theater room didn't flicker, but my led backlit cellphone did flicker so I'll assume LED and fluorescent bulbs will due to the Hz.
post #35 of 40 Old 09-08-2017, 07:05 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 866 Post(s)
Liked: 306
I added RGB led strip lights in my theater room in basement and when I dim them down it causes really bad flicker so I have to keep them off which I usually do anyway because it washes out the screen. Other than that I don't get any flicker with my DLP.

This line intentionally left blank.
post #36 of 40 Old 09-11-2017, 04:21 PM

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by cky2354 View Post
I have been hooked as well since August when I got my 3D Oled. I have been getting almost every 3D Blu-ray movie released possible for all different regions. I had a good collection but realized it was only about 50%. I went back and bought the ones I didn't have or didn't have the 3D version. I spent about $2000 buying about 200 movies so far this month alone. I thought I was finished but there are some gems left that are rare to find and more expensive.
Dude, I wish I had your budget.

I've been hooked for a long time

Nothing in this posting/signature really means anything in the long run.
post #37 of 40 Old 09-11-2017, 07:49 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by zombie10k View Post
The 3D on the RS620 is going to be an substantial improvement over the RS60 and RS57 for brightness and x-talk.

This $50 kit includes the RF transmitter and 1 pair of Xpand 105 RF glasses if you want to see the improvements.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B009ZW7SR2?psc=1
Arrived today in a box marked with the lithium battery warning label. Put the glasses on charge. Red light glowing. Hope they don't explode on my head!

-Roger
post #38 of 40 Old 09-12-2017, 01:48 PM

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by gridleak View Post
Arrived today in a box marked with the lithium battery warning label. Put the glasses on charge. Red light glowing. Hope they don't explode on my head!
I didn't think they exploded They catch fire instead

Nothing in this posting/signature really means anything in the long run.
post #39 of 40 Old 09-19-2017, 08:18 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhvsfan View Post
I didn't think they exploded They catch fire instead
Fortunately, they didn't explode or catch fire. But also must say that my interest in using the projector for 3d didn't catch fire either. We watched about 20 min of Avatar and our conclusion was that it was uncomfortably dim compared to OLED. It's a bright projector and was on high lamp for 3d, but just not enough to make us happy. Flicker and ghosting was not a problem. I didn't try a brighter film like The Martian. Maybe another day.

BTW, I have lots of Dtheater and dvhs stuff I'd like to unload cheap. Don't have any dhvs stuff.

-Roger
post #40 of 40 Old 10-09-2017, 02:58 PM

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 15
I only time I spend $$ on a bluray is if it's 3D. Otherwise it's a redbox rental for 2 bucks...maybe a 5 bucks one from one of the bargain bins at Best Buy...once in a blue moon. Or 2 bucks at one of the pawn shops around here. Have not been to a movie theater for years. Waste of money in my mind.

So if 3D dies...I will not be of much support to the film industry.

On a side note 8K is around the corner with the first one being released in Asian countries in 2018. Avatar has delayed till 2020 I heard. 8k tv's would allow for 4k passive 3D. Should Avatar end up being the super duper hit some think it could be...perhaps we might see a renewed in 3D. Passive 4K 3D would be...super sharp.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply 3D Content

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page