3D blurays not sold in USA - Page 2 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 22Likes

post #31 of 45 Old 05-14-2017, 11:35 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 71
Underworld Blood Wars (eng audio) yesasia.com region A, amazon.co.jp region A, amazon.co.uk region B, amazon.de listed as region B but may be region free according to blu-ray dot com forums.

Resident Evil The Final Chapter (eng audio) yesasia.com region free, amazon.co.jp region A (premium edition), amazon.co.uk region B

Wolf Warriors (eng audio) yesasia.com listed as region A above but should be region FREE

Black & White: The Dawn Of Justice (2014) (eng subs only) yesasia.com region A

Notes for shopping at amazon.co.jp: There is a language button to get an English version of the website just to the left of the usual place for the "Your Account" pull down. You may still need to use your Internet browser to translate some details. Make sure you untranslate the page before adding to your cart (at least in Chrome as the buttons break when translating pages). Your amazon.com account won't work there, you will have to set up another account. You can convert their currency by googling "4509 jpy in usd". If you are running Windows 10, you can type "4509 jpy" in Cortana search.
rdarcy likes this.

Last edited by dew42; 05-28-2017 at 06:49 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 45 Old 05-14-2017, 01:38 PM

Seventh Son (2015) (eng audio) amazon.fr region free, amazon.es region free, yesasia.com region free, amazon.co.uk region B

The Legend of Sarila (2013) (eng audio) yesasia.com region A, amazon.de region B

Tai Chi 0 (2012) (eng subs only) yesasia.com region free

No Limits: Extreme Sports (eng audio) amazon.de region free
post #33 of 45 Old 05-16-2017, 07:47 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 476 Post(s)
Liked: 161
I received Universal Soldier: Day of Reckoning from Amazon.uk yesterday. It's Region B. it's actually relatively cheap to buy. I ordered it with my current Amazon ID and Amazon Credit Card and had no problem. It was an experiment for my new player. Anyway, the 3D was OK. The indoor 3D was better than the outdoor 3D. Movie was way too violent and certainly not for everyone. You also need to be a fan of Universal Soldier to understand it, which I am not. It was probably a wasted effort for me. While 3D does make average movies better in my opinion, you still have to like the movie to be worthwhile.
cbcdesign likes this.

post #34 of 45 Old 05-16-2017, 08:24 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 866 Post(s)
Liked: 306
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3DBob View Post
Movie was way too violent and certainly not for everyone. You also need to be a fan of Universal Soldier to understand it, which I am not. It was probably a wasted effort for me. While 3D does make average movies better in my opinion, you still have to like the movie to be worthwhile.
I was going to mention that but you had already ordered. I viewed once but didn't really devote all my attention to it. It was very B-movie low budget and not very entertaining. The 3D could have been Avatar quality and it would not have helped.

This line intentionally left blank.
post #35 of 45 Old 05-16-2017, 04:18 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked: 88
Many many 3D, region-free titles on sale at Amazon.co.uk right now, starting at £3.58. (For a ballpark conversion to US$, add 1/3rd to the price.)

Here is a link with all of the right search terms and filters, sorted by price.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=sr_st...price-asc-rank

The search query and results are not perfect, so verify that the title is region-free before you buy if that is important to you.
Steff3 likes this.
post #36 of 45 Old 05-28-2017, 06:40 PM

3 AM (English subtitles only) yesasia region A
3 AM Part 2 (2013) (English subtitles only) yesasia region unspecified
The Second Sight (2013) (English subtitles only) yesasia region A
Baby Blues (2013) (English subtitles only) yesasia region free
Rashomon (1950) (English subtitles only) yesasia region A
The White Haired Witch of Lunar Kingdom (2014) (English subtitles only) yesasia region A

African Safari (2013) (English audio) amazon.de region free, amazon.co.uk region B, yesasia region A
Adventure Bahamas 3D Mysterious Caves And Wrecks (English audio) amazon.de region free, amazon.co.uk region free

Biohazard Damnation (English subtitles only) amazon.co.jp region A, yesasia region A

In the Heart of the Sea (English audio) amazon.co.uk region free
post #37 of 45 Old 06-05-2017, 03:11 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Ha, ha, ha....I took a flyer and ordered the Sharknado series disk on bluray 3D--it was cheap from Germany. Came today. It turns out the 3D is simply a push back into a 3D window of 2D, so no real 3D. Sometime the fool wins, this time not...ha, ha, ha, buyer beware on non-US 3D!
post #38 of 45 Old 06-05-2017, 06:51 PM

Sometimes you can pick up on which ones have poor 3D in the reviews on amazon.de.
post #39 of 45 Old 06-05-2017, 07:26 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Ha, ha, ha....I took a flyer and ordered the Sharknado series disk on bluray 3D--it was cheap from Germany. Came today. It turns out the 3D is simply a push back into a 3D window of 2D, so no real 3D. Sometime the fool wins, this time not...ha, ha, ha, buyer beware on non-US 3D!
They say China loves 3D more than anyone, but with so many native 3D titles in Germany and it would seem post conversions, I think Germany loves 3D the most. I couldn't get thru the first Sharknado, I read the reviews they said it was great but it was just too B-movie for me, not sure how they made 4 of them. I was wondering if maybe they just converted it, I went and looked to see if it was filmed in 3D but I didn't see any mention of it.

post #40 of 45 Old 06-09-2017, 02:25 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 696 Post(s)
Liked: 281
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomtastic View Post
They say China loves 3D more than anyone, but with so many native 3D titles in Germany and it would seem post conversions, I think Germany loves 3D the most.

As far as I can tell, 3D is very popular in the German home theater scene but the same seems to apply for the US - and we got a lot of cheap conversions that are essentially just cash-grabs.

As it appears the German content provider EuroVideo (that's Bavaria's video marketing, hence they do have the German licensing rights for DAS BOOT - the extended TV cut has great image quality, BTW) had a lot of video rights for made for IMAX 3D films.

As a matter of fact the IMAX production Fighter Pilot (3D conversion, IMHO rather good but with a few hickups) is exclusively available in 3D from Germany (but with original English version):

Some of the footage was scheduled to be used in the latest / last (?) big IMAX film Aircraft Carrier: Guardians of the Sea (otherwise shot with real 3D cameras!).

I'm really dying here to be able to see that film in 3D, it's probably the culmination of the IMAX area but a very dignified ending, IMHO (yes, I'm shedding a couple of tears...)

P.S. I wish I were in Washington D.C. - http://newsdesk.si.edu/releases/airc...-museum-may-26

"It is only about things that do not interest one that one can give a really unbiased opinion, which is no doubt the reason why an unbiased opinion is always absolutely valueless." Oscar Wilde

Last edited by Frank714; 06-30-2017 at 06:00 AM.
post #41 of 45 Old 06-14-2017, 01:16 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Quote:
This series are Germany autoconversions which are known to be bad. A great resource is found on the blu-ray.com forum - see http://forum.blu-ray.com/showpost.ph...12&postcount=2 for autoconversion list.
dew42 likes this.

Nothing in this posting/signature really means anything in the long run.
post #42 of 45 Old 06-14-2017, 01:24 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhvsfan View Post
This series are Germany autoconversions which are known to be bad. A great resource is found on the blu-ray.com forum - see http://forum.blu-ray.com/showpost.ph...12&postcount=2 for autoconversion list.
Thanks, very helpful. Sometimes I can be so naïve...but getting smarter....
post #43 of 45 Old 06-21-2017, 09:48 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Removed Ghost in the Shell, it appears it is getting a US release after all:

Releasing July 25th
https://www.amazon.com/Ghost-in-the-...=ATVPDKIKX0DER

post #44 of 45 Old 07-10-2017, 03:13 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

I received Fighter Pilot - IMAX 3D - Operation Red Flag from Amazon.de (was very easy to order using the same password I use for Amazon.com. Took about 3 weeks to receive though). The movie is a 2D IMAX to 3D conversion as you will quickly notice if you are a 3D nut. It says Region B, and it has both German and English version, but it played in Region A for me as well. https://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B00M1563F8

Having been an Air Force ground controller back in the 70s, this was great fun for me. The technological advances in flight computing/controlling from the ground have really changed--more like a full graphics game--and this was 2004 tech, so it's probably even better now. It really held my attention. This is something to show your kids and might even inspire them to join the Air Force. The 3D does have its challenges every now and then as it sometimes has objects in the wrong place, but I can forgive that given the subject matter. The movie is about a military exercise to prepare pilots for real battle. I give it a 4 out of 5.

Last edited by 3DBob; 07-11-2017 at 09:49 AM.
post #45 of 45 Old 07-11-2017, 09:47 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

I also purchased Beyond the Edge - Sir Edmund Hillarys Aufstieg zum Gipfel des Everest 3D bluray from Amazon.de. Has English and German versions, but uses German text on the English version. Works in Regions A, B and C as stated on the cover.
https://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B00OJQ5LLY. About Edmund Hillary's climb of Mt. Everest in 1953. It uses original 16mm of the climb and also staged actors--sort of a docudrama. It's well done and interesting, and the 3D is good, and they put a lot of thought into getting as much depth as possible, which is hard to do with landscapes. It's not as good as Everest 3D starring Josh Brolin, also based on true story, but more interesting as a piece of history. The staged sets were of New Zealand, but look very close to Everest. I'll give it a 3.5 out of 5.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply 3D Content

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page