• 1 Post By coolhand

post #1 of 23 Old 05-15-2017, 10:12 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 866 Post(s)
Liked: 306
Alien Covenant Not 3D????

I've been getting nervous this is 2D only. I was really hoping that wasn't true but it seems it's only getting a 2D release. Wikipedia was showing 3D release last I checked but it's been changed now to 2D and there had been a lot of talk lately that it wasn't shot in 3D. I was really looking forward to seeing this one in 3D and it's disappointing because Prometheus looked so good in 3D. I guess we lost a 3D director. Thumbs down!

This line intentionally left blank.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 Old 05-16-2017, 12:18 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 71
Usually the end of the trailers indicate whether it will be in 3D. This one does not.

3D done right can pull you into a movie. A great tool for this kind of movie.
Rudy1 likes this.
post #3 of 23 Old 05-16-2017, 07:33 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 476 Post(s)
Liked: 161
My guess is they weren't happy as to how the 3D conversion turned out and decided to scrap it. Might show up in Asia somewhere as we've seen with other movies.

post #4 of 23 Old 05-16-2017, 04:09 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked: 88
I was looking forward to this too. Prometheus was instrumental for my own acceptance of 3D.
post #5 of 23 Old 05-17-2017, 04:36 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Prometheus was the movie that pushed me into purchasing a 3D projector and 119" screen.

Pain Gauge - my electro-industrial music project

post #6 of 23 Old 05-18-2017, 01:03 PM

Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by neveser View Post
Prometheus was the movie that pushed me into purchasing a 3D projector and 119" screen.
Saw it last night. Bummed it wasn't 3D. Decent movie though.
post #7 of 23 Old 05-19-2017, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbquart View Post
Saw it last night. Bummed it wasn't 3D. Decent movie though.
I don't want any specific spoilers, but did the movie answer any of the questions or clarify any of the mysteries left over from Prometheus?
post #8 of 23 Old 05-19-2017, 03:35 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Very dissapointed here as well. I think some of us are the weird ones loving 3D more than we should. Really enjoyed Prometheus in 3D. It was a sinking feeling when I heard about the 2017 TV lineups dropping the feature. Made me ask, what's going to happen with the future Avatar films (as I thought James Cameron wouldn't drop 3D)? How would the bluray end up being (a version lacking features of the theater showing)? I read he's going somewhere else with 3D in the future films though.
Actionable Mango likes this.
post #9 of 23 Old 05-19-2017, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NThreads View Post
It was a sinking feeling when I heard about the 2017 TV lineups dropping the feature. Made me ask, what's going to happen with the future Avatar films (as I thought James Cameron wouldn't drop 3D)?
The fact that 3DTV is dying or dead does not mean that 3D at the theater will do the same. They are very much two separate things.
post #10 of 23 Old 05-19-2017, 04:26 PM

Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Actionable Mango View Post
I don't want any specific spoilers, but did the movie answer any of the questions or clarify any of the mysteries left over from Prometheus?
There's a direct connection with Prometheus and does answer some questions.
post #11 of 23 Old 05-20-2017, 07:02 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 334 Post(s)
Liked: 248
Quote:
Some questions are answered and the fate of certain characters is revealed; others are left behind. Personally, I was disappointed by the movie, especially the ending.

As to the absence of 3D, most of the movie takes place in very dark settings and quite honestly, given how it was shot, I really don't think adding 3D to it would have made for an enjoyable experience.
post #12 of 23 Old 05-22-2017, 09:20 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 365 Post(s)
Liked: 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by NThreads View Post
Very dissapointed here as well. I think some of us are the weird ones loving 3D more than we should. Really enjoyed Prometheus in 3D. It was a sinking feeling when I heard about the 2017 TV lineups dropping the feature. Made me ask, what's going to happen with the future Avatar films (as I thought James Cameron wouldn't drop 3D)? How would the bluray end up being (a version lacking features of the theater showing)? I read he's going somewhere else with 3D in the future films though.
he is releasing T2 in 3D in theaters this year. I'd think he'd also release it on 3D BD as well, this year or next. And he is still all over 3D on the Avatar sequels
post #13 of 23 Old 05-23-2017, 01:03 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 633 Post(s)
Liked: 889
Here's the 3D part of the conversation with Scott and Wolski in the June American Cinematographer:

Quote:
Another difference between Covenant and Prometheus is that you didn’t shoot in 3D this time.

Scott: I wanted to shoot Covenant in 3D, but somebody supposedly wiser than us up there decided that the days of 3D might be over, and therefore we didn’t do that. Now, of course, it’s finished and somebody mumbled, ‘Can we do this in 3D?’ I said, ‘Well, it’s a bit late, dude.’

Wolski: For me, it was great going back to old-school filmmaking and shooting Covenant in 2D. The first Alien was 2D. I do think that initially my experience with 3D was a big part of why Ridley was interested in me for Prometheus. That was a huge challenge shooting 3D with those multiple cameras Ridley favors. At that time there was a big trend toward shooting everything in 3D, and I think it was largely because of economics — because Avatar had made so much money. Everybody thought the whole world was going to turn 3D, but I never believed in that.

Scott: I don’t think 3D is going to go away. I love it, because we actually see in 3D. In your head, you’ve basically got two cameras side by side separated by the width of your nose. When you film and project 3D properly, it’s not a barrier; it’s taking you back to something you’ve been used to since birth. There’s still a lot to be explored there. One thing that would have been nice to do on The Martian would have been to shoot all the interiors in 2D, then when he goes outside flip to 3D. But we can’t do that yet.

How does that factor of 3D versus 2D influence your selection of camera?

Wolski: We definitely started using the Red Epic on Prometheus because its size made the 3D rigs much smaller and more flexible. For Alien: Covenant all the cameras were Alexas, which has really become the most reliable, consistent camera as far as I’m concerned. The problem with all these new cameras coming out is that things are changing so fast you have to spend all your time testing, figuring out the workflow and everything else.
post #14 of 23 Old 05-23-2017, 03:13 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

That's unfortunate. He did 3 films in 3D, Prometheus, Exodus: Gods and Kings, and The Martian, but I guess he sees it as the end of the line for 3D. So Transformers really is the only native 3D film this summer and maybe all year.

Covenant it seems has fizzled out quick in opening weekend with only 36m domestically while Guardians pulled in nearly that in its 3rd week. Looks like Covenant might have needed those 3D tickets sales.

post #15 of 23 Old 05-24-2017, 10:38 AM

A lot of people hated Prometheus, so I never expected its sequels to do well. Ridley Scott said from the very beginning that he wrote Prometheus as a trilogy, but importantly he mentioned that whether or not the second and third movies are ever made depends on the financial success of the previous movie. So hopefully Covenant does well enough that he can complete his story.

One of the things that bothers me are all the haters with uninformed criticism. So many people complained about unanswered questions and unexplained mysteries when in fact there were two movies to go. Of course you don't wrap everything up in the first third of the story--that would be absurd. Even if you didn't know ahead of time that Prometheus wasn't meant to be a stand alone movie, the ending is a blatantly obvious setup for a sequel. It is not subtle at all. What more do you need--a big "TO BE CONTINUED" sign in front of your face?

Last edited by Actionable Mango; 05-24-2017 at 10:42 AM.
post #16 of 23 Old 05-24-2017, 01:06 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
A lot of people hated Prometheus, so I never expected its sequels to do well. Ridley Scott said from the very beginning that he wrote Prometheus as a trilogy, but importantly he mentioned that whether or not the second and third movies are ever made depends on the financial success of the previous movie. So hopefully Covenant does well enough that he can complete his story.

One of the things that bothers me are all the haters with uninformed criticism. So many people complained about unanswered questions and unexplained mysteries when in fact there were two movies to go. Of course you don't wrap everything up in the first third of the story--that would be absurd. Even if you didn't know ahead of time that Prometheus wasn't meant to be a stand alone movie, the ending is a blatantly obvious setup for a sequel. It is not subtle at all. What more do you need--a big "TO BE CONTINUED" sign in front of your face?

I actually hated Prometheus because of the terrible and unimaginative way it answered questions and explained mysteries from the original Alien - it entirely destroyed the magic of the original universe, and spit on the ruins. That on top of being extremely silly by itself. I don't care for any sequel or spin-off after that abomination.
post #17 of 23 Old 05-24-2017, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roussi View Post
I actually hated Prometheus because of the terrible and unimaginative way it answered questions and explained mysteries from the original Alien - it entirely destroyed the magic of the original universe, and spit on the ruins. That on top of being extremely silly by itself. I don't care for any sequel or spin-off after that abomination.
Yes, there is long list of valid criticism of the movie from people who dislike movie and even people such as me who like the movie. If we want to talk about all the problems with Prometheus, I'm going to need to warm up my figures first.

But my point is specifically about people who complained that answers weren't provided, on the assumption that the end of the movie was the end of the story. It's an incorrect assumption. The end scene is Shaw flying off to the Engineers home planet for the explicitly stated purpose of getting answers!
post #18 of 23 Old 05-24-2017, 06:10 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Yes, I actually had to tell some people that Prometheus was an Alien prequel. I think because it didn't have Alien in the title they thought it was just a regular movie. They didn't like it because they didn't understand it. Getting back to the film style, this one could have been 3D too and filmed similar to Prometheus, without the shaky cam. So it doesn't really mean anything that Covenant doesn't work for 3D as it is, if it had been given green light for 3D in pre production, the DOP would have arranged the scenes and camera for 3D as they did for Prometheus. They could have done a conversion but in this case, I'm glad they didn't. 3D really needs to be from the ground up on project not tacked on after it's finished.

post #19 of 23 Old 05-24-2017, 08:29 PM

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked: 138
"I believe Alien Covenant is being released in 3D in theaters in other markets (Europe/Asia) but not in the US market. Good news is this might mean you could still get the 3D version in BluRay release."

I made this statement based on something I read on the INTERNET a few weeks ago, pre-release. Apparently there is no evidence that any markets have a 3D release.

HT setup: Vizio 50" 4K | Xbox & PS3 | Pioneer Elite VSX-94TX | Bose 701 towers (V1) | JBL S Center | Def Tech Reference SuperCube & DIY Nearfield cabinet ported UM18 dual ported PA380 ULF+MBM

Last edited by Brazle; 05-25-2017 at 09:01 PM.
post #20 of 23 Old 05-25-2017, 07:21 AM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brazle View Post
I believe Alien Covenant is being released in 3D in theaters in other markets (Europe/Asia) but not in the US market. Good news is this might mean you could still get the 3D version in BluRay release.
I have seen no data verifying that. News based on pure speculation does not qualify as good news to me. I'm disappointed in the decision to forego 3-D on this film, but if Scott says it's a 2-D movie then that is what it is.

--
Dan Shane
LG 65UH8500
post #21 of 23 Old 05-25-2017, 11:42 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 39
I despised this movie. And I would have despised it in 3D.

People suggest that Prometheus didn't answer questions. The problem wasn't that it didn't answer questions; its that the answers were incredibly dark and horrifying.
ES_Revenge likes this.
post #22 of 23 Old 05-25-2017, 12:02 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Even if it was converted for Asian market, which it probably isn't, I wouldn't want it just tacked on without any consideration for 3D during filming. As, Scott said: "It's a bit late, dude". lol. Shaky cam and 3D = Jason Borne (people throwing up in the theater).

post #23 of 23 Old 07-11-2017, 04:54 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 695 Post(s)
Liked: 378
As I never saw this in theaters, part of the reason for which is because I can't find a 3D theater I like as much as my home theater and Prometheus is one of the best 3D movies out there, I am just NOW learning that this wasn't made in 3D .... major bummsville.

Even more of a bummer is that it seems as though Ridley's quotes on the topic above add a lot of weight to the assertions over the years that he's a "studio director."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply 3D Content

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page