Beauty and the Beast (2017) Blu ray 3D - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 6Likes
  • 1 Post By tomtastic
  • 2 Post By dew42
  • 1 Post By dhvsfan
  • 1 Post By RS3771
  • 1 Post By MagnumX
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 24 Old 06-06-2017, 08:40 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
tomtastic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Wichita, KS
Posts: 2,228
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 866 Post(s)
Liked: 306
Beauty and the Beast (2017) Blu ray 3D

So it appears in typical Disney fashion this will not be getting a US release. UK release showing July 17 as release date. Another title to add to the import list.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	beautyandthebeast3D.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	200.6 KB
ID:	2174170  
CINERAMAX likes this.

This line intentionally left blank.
tomtastic is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 24 Old 06-06-2017, 09:38 PM
Senior Member
 
dew42's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Saskatoon, Canada
Posts: 344
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 71
Zavvi is showing Region Free

https://www.zavvi.com/blu-ray/beauty.../11428140.html
mttpalmer and old corps like this.
dew42 is offline  
post #3 of 24 Old 06-09-2017, 09:26 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
NickTheGreat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Des Moines, Iowa
Posts: 2,695
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 434 Post(s)
Liked: 307
Sigh. I'm glad we can can it from overseas, but it's still so darn frustrating.
NickTheGreat is offline  
 
post #4 of 24 Old 06-11-2017, 12:16 PM
Senior Member
 
cbcdesign's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Clevedon. UK
Posts: 453
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by NickTheGreat View Post
Sigh. I'm glad we can can it from overseas, but it's still so darn frustrating.
This doesn't make sense to me. The uk population is 60 million or so compared to 350 million or so in the USA. I don't believe the percentage of the us population that likes 3D and buys titles is lower than it is here in the uk so why on earth are they not releasing 3D titles in the US?
cbcdesign is offline  
post #5 of 24 Old 06-11-2017, 03:39 PM
Senior Member
 
dew42's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Saskatoon, Canada
Posts: 344
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbcdesign View Post
This doesn't make sense to me. The uk population is 60 million or so compared to 350 million or so in the USA. I don't believe the percentage of the us population that likes 3D and buys titles is lower than it is here in the uk so why on earth are they not releasing 3D titles in the US?
My co-workers like to poke at 3D on occasion. One guy can rattle off all the negatives about 3D but never has seen a 3D movie. Another watches the 2D version of a movie then proclaims that it isn't worth watching in 3D. Not sure how you can know that without watching both or at least the 3D version. It reminds me of what Michael Garibaldi said, from the Babylon 5 TV series, that at some level everyone wants to see something big fail spectacularly (can't remember the exact words - he was talking about the interplanetary alliance). When 3D came out it was heralded as the next big money maker and that put off some consumers. Others wanted something revolutionary instead of accepting that the tech will evolve. We were close to getting glasses-free (Ultra-D and Dolby).

I wonder sometimes if this 3D angst is a North American thing or does it extend to Europe. I expect its' presence is enough to influence the releases of 3D Blu-ray. Disney cartoons will have a smaller market for people with enough disposable income willing to go for 3D over DVD at half the price.
dew42 is offline  
post #6 of 24 Old 06-11-2017, 10:32 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Worf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Posts: 1,524
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 570 Post(s)
Liked: 308
I suspect it's a North American thing - that's why Europe and Asia gets the 3D releases. There is a big anti-glasses thing - commentators made a huge deal about the glasses and how much they suck, while in Europe and Asia (who has a large proportion of people who wear glasses) ended up not caring.

So the demise is really from big mouths that a lot of North American put their complete faith into, rather than actually trying it out.
Worf is offline  
post #7 of 24 Old 06-14-2017, 11:17 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
old corps's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Mid-Michigan
Posts: 1,676
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked: 91
Where is Zavi located and anyone with experience buying from them? Thanks guys!

Ed
old corps is offline  
post #8 of 24 Old 06-14-2017, 12:53 PM
Member
 
dhvsfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Planet Earth
Posts: 149
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by old corps View Post
Where is Zavi located and anyone with experience buying from them? Thanks guys!

Ed
Zavvi is located in the UK. I have no direct experience with them but others have reported customer service issue esp with cancellations.

I've had very good luck with buying from www.amazon.co.uk

Just confirm whatever you are buying is region free. Don't trust the descriptions on the Amazon UK pages. Many discs claimed to be Region B are actually region free.
sparky7 likes this.

Nothing in this posting/signature really means anything in the long run.
dhvsfan is offline  
post #9 of 24 Old 06-14-2017, 03:33 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
old corps's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Mid-Michigan
Posts: 1,676
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked: 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhvsfan View Post
Zavvi is located in the UK. I have no direct experience with them but others have reported customer service issue esp with cancellations.

I've had very good luck with buying from www.amazon.co.uk

Just confirm whatever you are buying is region free. Don't trust the descriptions on the Amazon UK pages. Many discs claimed to be Region B are actually region free.
Appreciate the reply. I was interested in Zavi because they show Beauty & the Beast 3d as region free and AmazonUK lists it as 2/B. I did find it on yesasia............for $54, just the 3d disc and $59 for the multi-disc. Don't think so! Guess I'll have to wait for someone to get one from AmazonUK to see if it's actually region free. I'll pass on Zavi then. Thanks.

Ed
old corps is offline  
post #10 of 24 Old 06-15-2017, 10:54 AM
Member
 
dhvsfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Planet Earth
Posts: 149
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by old corps View Post
Appreciate the reply. I was interested in Zavi because they show Beauty & the Beast 3d as region free and AmazonUK lists it as 2/B. I did find it on yesasia............for $54, just the 3d disc and $59 for the multi-disc. Don't think so! Guess I'll have to wait for someone to get one from AmazonUK to see if it's actually region free. I'll pass on Zavi then. Thanks.

Ed
I thought I spent too much on BATB at $39.99. $54/$59 is really out there

I picked up the region free India release in a Steel book from Rahul-and-I ebay store. Unfortunately, they are all sold out of steel books and regular versions. They MAY get more - I don't know.

Nothing in this posting/signature really means anything in the long run.
dhvsfan is offline  
post #11 of 24 Old 07-24-2017, 02:58 PM
Senior Member
 
MagnumX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 215
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked: 58
What's really frustrating is that there's lots of talk about whether the UK version will be region free or not months before it comes out, but a week or more after it does, the silence on the matter is deafening. Has no one in the UK purchased this disc or are you unable to tell there if it's region encoded or not? Prices on US Amazon are over $50 for an import. I'm not paying that much no matter how cute I think Emma Watson is. UK Amazon has it for like 17 pounds (around $23 US right now) and Zavi lists it as $23.93, but I haven't seen anyone confirm it's region free yet (still looking). I don't trust the web sites as they often get it wrong (Amazon UK).

Now that Hollywood often releases movies simultaneously around the world instead of huge offsets, I don't know why they don't just make everything region-free and then they could divvy up their 3D releases to whatever countries want some copies instead of denying the US just because people have some kind of perverse aversion to wearing glasses at home (they sure don't seem to mind at the theaters which still show almost every other major movie in 3D). 3D at home on a 93" screen seems more extreme than I even recall any any theater (I never remember being able to put my hand through something before at any theater, but in Jaws 3D at home, I could do exactly that in a few places).

The worst thing is TV makers just entirely dropping 3D support in the US lately. That will pretty much kill 3D no matter how much interest there is. If you can't go to Best Buy and find a single 3D set, most people won't even ask (I did ask and I was told it was DEAD; that no one liked it and wouldn't you much rather watch a 55-65" 4K set 15 feet away that looks exactly like 1080p at that distance (save HDR differences). Frankly, it's hard to imagine 4K being much sharper on my 93" screen at 10 feet it's already so ridiculously sharp looking (this movie I rented with Vudu in 2D as a 10 cent rental when I signed up and it was probably sharper than most of my Blu-Rays, but then I have mostly older films not filmed directly in HD), but 3D sure is noticeable on my system! Frankly, it's hard to watch some movies in 2D at home now that I have seen the (some for the first time) in 3D. It's like, gee Oz The Great And Powerful sure looks FLAT all the sudden.

Last edited by MagnumX; 07-24-2017 at 03:05 PM.
MagnumX is offline  
post #12 of 24 Old 07-24-2017, 03:18 PM
Senior Member
 
RS3771's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 294
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 199 Post(s)
Liked: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by MagnumX View Post
What's really frustrating is that there's lots of talk about whether the UK version will be region free or not months before it comes out, but a week or more after it does, the silence on the matter is deafening. Has no one in the UK purchased this disc or are you unable to tell there if it's region encoded or not? Prices on US Amazon are over $50 for an import. I'm not paying that much no matter how cute I think Emma Watson is. UK Amazon has it for like 17 pounds (around $23 US right now) and Zavi lists it as $23.93, but I haven't seen anyone confirm it's region free yet (still looking). I don't trust the web sites as they often get it wrong (Amazon UK).

Now that Hollywood often releases movies simultaneously around the world instead of huge offsets, I don't know why they don't just make everything region-free and then they could divvy up their 3D releases to whatever countries want some copies instead of denying the US just because people have some kind of perverse aversion to wearing glasses at home (they sure don't seem to mind at the theaters which still show almost every other major movie in 3D). 3D at home on a 93" screen seems more extreme than I even recall any any theater (I never remember being able to put my hand through something before at any theater, but in Jaws 3D at home, I could do exactly that in a few places).

The worst thing is TV makers just entirely dropping 3D support in the US lately. That will pretty much kill 3D no matter how much interest there is. If you can't go to Best Buy and find a single 3D set, most people won't even ask (I did ask and I was told it was DEAD; that no one liked it and wouldn't you much rather watch a 55-65" 4K set 15 feet away that looks exactly like 1080p at that distance (save HDR differences). Frankly, it's hard to imagine 4K being much sharper on my 93" screen at 10 feet it's already so ridiculously sharp looking (this movie I rented with Vudu in 2D as a 10 cent rental when I signed up and it was probably sharper than most of my Blu-Rays, but then I have mostly older films not filmed directly in HD), but 3D sure is noticeable on my system! Frankly, it's hard to watch some movies in 2D at home now that I have seen the (some for the first time) in 3D. It's like, gee Oz The Great And Powerful sure looks FLAT all the sudden.
4K HDR 2D is no match for 1080p 3D - our eyes can tell in a second. I always prefer 3D to 2D when I have the choice and been importing all 3D content when it's not available in the U.S.
cky2354 likes this.
RS3771 is offline  
post #13 of 24 Old 07-24-2017, 03:33 PM
Advanced Member
 
sparky7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: reno,nv.
Posts: 539
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by MagnumX View Post
What's really frustrating is that there's lots of talk about whether the UK version will be region free or not months before it comes out, but a week or more after it does, the silence on the matter is deafening. Has no one in the UK purchased this disc or are you unable to tell there if it's region encoded or not? Prices on US Amazon are over $50 for an import. I'm not paying that much no matter how cute I think Emma Watson is. UK Amazon has it for like 17 pounds (around $23 US right now) and Zavi lists it as $23.93, but I haven't seen anyone confirm it's region free yet (still looking). I don't trust the web sites as they often get it wrong (Amazon UK).

Now that Hollywood often releases movies simultaneously around the world instead of huge offsets, I don't know why they don't just make everything region-free and then they could divvy up their 3D releases to whatever countries want some copies instead of denying the US just because people have some kind of perverse aversion to wearing glasses at home (they sure don't seem to mind at the theaters which still show almost every other major movie in 3D). 3D at home on a 93" screen seems more extreme than I even recall any any theater (I never remember being able to put my hand through something before at any theater, but in Jaws 3D at home, I could do exactly that in a few places).

The worst thing is TV makers just entirely dropping 3D support in the US lately. That will pretty much kill 3D no matter how much interest there is. If you can't go to Best Buy and find a single 3D set, most people won't even ask (I did ask and I was told it was DEAD; that no one liked it and wouldn't you much rather watch a 55-65" 4K set 15 feet away that looks exactly like 1080p at that distance (save HDR differences). Frankly, it's hard to imagine 4K being much sharper on my 93" screen at 10 feet it's already so ridiculously sharp looking (this movie I rented with Vudu in 2D as a 10 cent rental when I signed up and it was probably sharper than most of my Blu-Rays, but then I have mostly older films not filmed directly in HD), but 3D sure is noticeable on my system! Frankly, it's hard to watch some movies in 2D at home now that I have seen the (some for the first time) in 3D. It's like, gee Oz The Great And Powerful sure looks FLAT all the sudden.

Movie just shipped on the 15th it came out in UK on 17th! It takes time to get here.
sparky7 is offline  
post #14 of 24 Old 07-24-2017, 04:04 PM
Senior Member
 
MagnumX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 215
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by sparky7 View Post
Movie just shipped on the 15th it came out in UK on 17th! It takes time to get here.
I went ahead and ordered it anyway (and Resident Evil The Final Chapter as well that also isn't available here in 3D). The shipping to US was reasonable and I saved 10% for being a new customer as well). I can always dump it with my ROM drive at worst if it is region enabled and view it with KODI instead once I get an MVC enabled player (or create SBS for now). But I think it will be OK. I bought a few UK imports already that played fine in a PS4 (Green Hornet, Priest, Resident Evil Extinction 3-pack and last two Harry Potter movies were all UK region free. Harry Potter WAS available here in 3D, but it's hard to find now. I think it was cheaper from the UK anyway).
MagnumX is offline  
post #15 of 24 Old 07-25-2017, 07:51 AM
Advanced Member
 
Otter0911's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 646
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked: 23
I believe its on bluray.com, but somebody from the UK posted a pic of the 3D set and it shows Region A B and C
Otter0911 is offline  
post #16 of 24 Old 07-25-2017, 09:44 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Bachelor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Utah
Posts: 1,037
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 41
I'm still awaiting delivery of the UK 3d version. I do have a region free "modified player" for titles like Ratatouille and Mocking Jay part 2 in 3d that are region B. Please report back on the 3d quality as I'm anxious to see it myself. I missed the 3d version in theaters.

Update: my copy arrived today. I watched the first hour and was impressed. It adds depth to the sets and scenes for scale. Not a lot of objects break the z plane, but it's the mild disney for sure. It is region free A,B,C. I'm happy to have added it to my 3d collection. It did come with a slip cover.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg disc.jpg (227.9 KB, 31 views)

Last edited by Bachelor; 07-25-2017 at 08:31 PM.
Bachelor is offline  
post #17 of 24 Old 07-25-2017, 04:19 PM
Member
 
dhvsfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Planet Earth
Posts: 149
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bachelor View Post
I'm still awaiting delivery of the UK 3d version. I do have a region free mod for titles like Ratatouille and Mocking Jay part 2 in 3d that are region B.
I am going to assume you mean that your 3D Blu-Ray player has a region free mod.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bachelor View Post
Update: my copy arrived today.
Cool!!

I could NOT see your attached thumbnails ?!?

Nothing in this posting/signature really means anything in the long run.
dhvsfan is offline  
post #18 of 24 Old 08-05-2017, 06:54 PM
Senior Member
 
MagnumX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 215
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked: 58
I got my copy of Beauty and the Beast 3D from Zavvi today and I can confirm it works fine here in the US on my PS4 (typically only used to play 3D BDs and games as I used KODI for 2D). Sadly, like many European import 3D BDs, it doesn't include a digital copy code (almost all newer titles in the US now includes them, it seems), just a 2D BD and a 3D BD. It also does not include any Disney Rewards code (kind of sad for a premium 3D Blu-Ray edition when the 2D only US version has the reward and a digital copy included).

Overall, it seems to have very very little crosstalk compared to some other titles (e.g. Pacific Rim) on my Epson 3100, although the spot where Belle is standing on the hilltop and it pans around to her side view suddenly shows noticeable crosstalk for a moment (very odd since the distance doesn't change). There are several pop-out effects during the film (including a snowball throw right at my glasses that made me involuntarily flinch), but most are not extreme and used relatively sparingly. Overall, though, it looks pretty good. After watching several titles with semi-irritating amounts of crosstalk, I was surprised that it was almost non-existent on this title. Maybe it's not just my projector's fault. There must be other factors at work (that obviously some sets and DLP projectors handle better, but the origin must have to do with the offsets used between left/right or something. Given there was no lack of depth/layering or even some effects that almost hit my 3D glasses on pop-out, I'm not sure what it would be or why those other titles would need it to be more extreme.

Last edited by MagnumX; 08-05-2017 at 09:24 PM.
MagnumX is offline  
post #19 of 24 Old 08-05-2017, 10:40 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Worf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Posts: 1,524
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 570 Post(s)
Liked: 308
Quote:
Originally Posted by MagnumX View Post
I got my copy of Beauty and the Beast 3D from Zavvi today and I can confirm it works fine here in the US on my PS4 (typically only used to play 3D BDs and games as I used KODI for 2D). Sadly, like many European import 3D BDs, it doesn't include a digital copy code (almost all newer titles in the US now includes them, it seems), just a 2D BD and a 3D BD. It also does not include any Disney Rewards code (kind of sad for a premium 3D Blu-Ray edition when the 2D only US version has the reward and a digital copy included).
It's likely because the Disney rewards isn't available outside North America, and Europe probably has fewer/no digital copy options that work through the continent. Or the fact that there's a dozen different languages spoken there so you can't really have one digital copy download, unlike here where English works pretty much all around - you can ignore French and Spanish language versions. (All mine are shown as "digital copy in English only"). Can't really do that in Europe.

Plus, it's likely the digital copy only works in the country where that disc was sold.
Worf is offline  
post #20 of 24 Old 08-05-2017, 11:02 PM
Senior Member
 
MagnumX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 215
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by Worf View Post
It's likely because the Disney rewards isn't available outside North America, and Europe probably has fewer/no digital copy options that work through the continent. Or the fact that there's a dozen different languages spoken there so you can't really have one digital copy download, unlike here where English works pretty much all around - you can ignore French and Spanish language versions. (All mine are shown as "digital copy in English only"). Can't really do that in Europe.
Disney supports iTunes digital copies and most iTunes movies I've dealt with in recent years have anywhere from 3-5 spoken soundtrack languages plus up to over 20 subtitle language options and there's no reason a digital code couldn't be redeemed from any country on the localized version of iTunes so I don't know why they couldn't support digital copies in Europe. I mean do they think Europeans don't like convenience on their laptops, phones and tablets? Or do they think they're living in the stone ages over there still? I could see the codes might not work in another country, but Beauty and the Beast (UK version, not Germany, France or Latvia) came with no digital copy code period while every version in the US has a digital copy included (the reward points by comparison are neither here nor there in that regard, but generally speaking it's the same code here and Disney "Everywhere" gives you versions in whatever shared format they use including UV for Vudu, etc.).

I'm also pretty sure I have at least a few UK imports that do have digital copies included (yes indeed; I have Resident Evil: The Final Chapter sitting right here from the UK and it includes a UV digital copy (proving they do have it in the UK, at the very least), although I haven't tried redeeming it since I already have a 2D US BD digital copy registered as I went and bought it when I saw there was no 3D version in the US and I couldn't find a reasonable priced import at the time (until I found Zavvi, which with US currency trades often costs LESS than the US versions even with shipping; that's why I ordered Cars 1 & 2 from the UK instead of buying the US versions. I saved like $35 total at $16 each + $3 shipping versus $45 and $23 respectively for the US versions. The Cars 1 might be a collector's only version in the US, but I just want the movie so $16 beats $45 by a mile in that regard). As for Ultraviolet, I don't know what all they might include outside the US, but as long as you can specify your location in your account, I don't know why it would be a problem assigning a localized language version for that account (god knows they make plenty of localized Blu-Rays easy enough).

Quote:
Plus, it's likely the digital copy only works in the country where that disc was sold.
I can't confirm or deny that at the moment (I'd try the UK code, but I already have the UV digital copy from the US version. I could try giving it to a friend to try to find out, I suppose). There's no theoretical reason why it couldn't work if they allow it. UV is UV and as for iTunes, it's available in a lot of countries, even China.

It doesn't matter much as I can make my own digital copy. I'm just stating what it did and did not come with. Given you can't get a US 3D version at all right now, I'm just happy it's not region encoded.
MagnumX is offline  
post #21 of 24 Old 08-15-2017, 02:50 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Supermans's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 3,219
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked: 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by MagnumX View Post
I got my copy of Beauty and the Beast 3D from Zavvi today and I can confirm it works fine here in the US on my PS4 (typically only used to play 3D BDs and games as I used KODI for 2D). Sadly, like many European import 3D BDs, it doesn't include a digital copy code (almost all newer titles in the US now includes them, it seems), just a 2D BD and a 3D BD. It also does not include any Disney Rewards code (kind of sad for a premium 3D Blu-Ray edition when the 2D only US version has the reward and a digital copy included).

Overall, it seems to have very very little crosstalk compared to some other titles (e.g. Pacific Rim) on my Epson 3100, although the spot where Belle is standing on the hilltop and it pans around to her side view suddenly shows noticeable crosstalk for a moment (very odd since the distance doesn't change). There are several pop-out effects during the film (including a snowball throw right at my glasses that made me involuntarily flinch), but most are not extreme and used relatively sparingly. Overall, though, it looks pretty good. After watching several titles with semi-irritating amounts of crosstalk, I was surprised that it was almost non-existent on this title. Maybe it's not just my projector's fault. There must be other factors at work (that obviously some sets and DLP projectors handle better, but the origin must have to do with the offsets used between left/right or something. Given there was no lack of depth/layering or even some effects that almost hit my 3D glasses on pop-out, I'm not sure what it would be or why those other titles would need it to be more extreme.
Thank you for your review. By any chance, do you know if the Moana 3D and Finding Dory bought from Amazon UK would also be playable here in the US as this one is? They mislabeled the region in Beauty and the Beast 3D so I am hoping the same goes for the other two Disney movies.

OLED65G6P(last US 3D OLED), PN64F8500(last Plasma), HLR5087W(Kirk Model Pedestal DLP)
Supermans is offline  
post #22 of 24 Old 08-15-2017, 03:17 PM
Senior Member
 
MagnumX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 215
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supermans View Post
Thank you for your review. By any chance, do you know if the Moana 3D and Finding Dory bought from Amazon UK would also be playable here in the US as this one is? They mislabeled the region in Beauty and the Beast 3D so I am hoping the same goes for the other two Disney movies.
I can't be certain (don't own them), but Zavvi.com shows Moana 3D as region free (seems like most 3D BDs are, particularly Disney ones). It shows Finding Dory 3D as being region B (Europe) only, but www.blu-ray.com shows it as region free. Hopefully, someone that owns them can tell you for certain.

Meanwhile (as mused above relative to foreign digital copies), I have found that UK digital copy codes are rejected by the ultraviolet web site for US accounts, but if you use a VPN and spoof as UK and create a Flixster account with it, they typically will transfer to your US account (it even asked "would you like to transfer these titles to the United States?"). I got the UK Harry Potter box set (includes 16 BDs with all the makings of stuff, etc. and digital copies for $43 US while the US version with 8 BDs and no extras cost $55! Plus it's nice to have the correct book/movie title for the first movie instead of the changed US name). Sadly, Disney Rewards UK has closed and the codes don't work on the US rewards site, but getting Cars 3D for $16 instead of $43 (collector's edition only in US) is still worth it.
sparky7 likes this.
MagnumX is offline  
post #23 of 24 Old 08-25-2017, 05:39 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Supermans's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 3,219
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked: 105
Just watched this last night on 3D and enjoyed it. I can confirm that the disc is region free even though amazon UK says otherwise. It is worth getting in my opinion.

I can confirm Finding Dory from amazon UK is region free as well.
Supermans is offline  
post #24 of 24 Old 08-25-2017, 11:00 AM
Senior Member
 
cyclones22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Ontario, California
Posts: 405
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked: 151
I had read somewhere that every 3D Blu-ray on Amazon UK is region free. I buy all of my 3D Blu-rays from there now and have at least 6 pre-ordered. I have roughly 10 or so from the UK and not had an issue with any of them. Sure, there's a wait in that most times it's a later release date, but I find they get here a week after ship date in SoCal. Also, it's about $8 on average cheaper to buy from Amazon UK than anywhere else. Of course, if the currency conversion rate changes, then it may not be worth it going forward. But for now, it's all good for me!

Denon X4200W, Emotiva XPA-5
Klipsch RF-7II Front Cherry (x2), RC-64II Center Cherry, RP-280FA Surround/Atmos (x2), RP-140SA Atmos (x2)
SVS SB-2000 Subwoofer (x2)
OPPO BDP-103D, Sony UBP-X800, Synology NAS
LG OLED65C6P
cyclones22 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply 3D Content

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off