Is 3D being phased out, in favor of 4K?! - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By AndreHD

post #1 of 6 Old 07-05-2017, 12:08 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Is 3D being phased out, in favor of 4K?!

I love 3D, particularly for sci-fi, fantasy, and superhero flicks. But I began to notice in recent months, that the nearby Walmart doesn't get the 3D blu rays anymore...in their place is 4K.

FYE will get one or two 3D versions of the films, and if you didn't pre order it, and they "sold out, youred out of luck, as far as another shipment

I also notice that the 3D app that was on the Smarthub on my Samsung 55" disappeared. 3D is not an option on my FIOS On Demand (it was there, though her limited, on Comcast). And on and on ?.

I don't want the standard 2D versions of films like Rogue One, Great Wall, and Kong: Skull Island, so I have to travel further to the Best Buy, or order online.

So this shutout on 3D, which appears to be taking place, is causing quite the inconvenience.

Retailers clearly have no interest in selling 3D, and want to shove 4K into your face. I like 3D, but the writing appears to be on the wall...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 07-05-2017, 03:21 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 866 Post(s)
Liked: 306
I've noticed that this year all my local stores stopped selling new release 3D movies. Best Buy still had some older ones in stock but they removed the 3D section and put them in with the 2D. It's no wonder they still had them because they were trying to sell them for full retail still, like Thor for 38.00. I mean it's ridiculous how much they charge extra for a format that not everyone likes. So I don't even bother to go to the stores for new releases any more, except one used place that does have some Blu ray 3D tittles.

If you want 3D you really have to look to ordering online like Amazon. I think it will depend on what happens in theaters as far as content. Manufacturers have already dropped 3D this year from flat panels, there's still some projectors with 3D being released and a few other viewing devices with 3D. So yes, retailers are pushing 4K now because that's the new thing. 3D can be 4K too, but it's a bit too early for it. Need the dust to settle on 4K first and then bring back 3D. The other improvement is glasses-free 3D which James Cameron wants for the next Avatar movie. Might happen, don't know. Won't be released till 2020 so maybe a few theaters may get it in time.

This line intentionally left blank.
post #3 of 6 Old 07-05-2017, 03:54 PM

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomtastic View Post
I've noticed that this year all my local stores stopped selling new release 3D movies. ....

If you want 3D you really have to look to ordering online like Amazon.
Or BestBuy.com. Most things seem to need to be pre-ordered.
Target.com seems to have stopped offering new 3D movies.

Also, the number of 3D movies being released in the US seems to be falling as well in favor of 4K. I have had to get overseas releases to get 3D. My "Great Wall 3D" was from the UK and my "Beauty and the Beast 3D" was originally from India.

At least, I can still get them.

Nothing in this posting/signature really means anything in the long run.

post #4 of 6 Old 07-06-2017, 07:16 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 341 Post(s)
Liked: 215
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhvsfan View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomtastic View Post
I've noticed that this year all my local stores stopped selling new release 3D movies. ....

If you want 3D you really have to look to ordering online like Amazon.
Or BestBuy.com. Most things seem to need to be pre-ordered.
Target.com seems to have stopped offering new 3D movies.

Also, the number of 3D movies being released in the US seems to be falling as well in favor of 4K. I have had to get overseas releases to get 3D. My "Great Wall 3D" was from the UK and my "Beauty and the Beast 3D" was originally from India.

At least, I can still get them.
Target still gets some new 3d titles. For example, they have the new Lego Batman both in-store and on-line.
post #5 of 6 Old 07-07-2017, 07:05 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Just last night I re-watched the newest Jurassic Park movie. I started with 2d and then about 10 minutes in I switched over to the the 3d version of it. Soooo much better!! Certain movies are perfect for 3d and others are not that great. I am going to miss 3d.
post #6 of 6 Old 10-10-2017, 04:57 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I get 'em online now...nobody sells them in-store anymore.

It's funny, because the stores want to force 4K on the market, but, with a 3D TV, it's a DOWNGRADE !

No 3D, just a clearer picture? I can't get what I see in the theater at home.

Is rather keep my 3D 55" and skip this generation!
EVERRET likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply 3D Content

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page