Are 3D Blu-Ray on their way out? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By ki11abee

post #1 of 11 Old 07-07-2017, 04:49 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 185 Post(s)
Liked: 72
Are 3D Blu-Ray on their way out?

I don't own a 3D TV so I'm not invested in the format, but I'm just curious about this. Since no 2017 TV models from any manufacturer are 3D, software production will probably end in the not too far distant future.

I always thought this 3D round was just a short lived fad, although I will say I thoroughly enjoyed playing Fallout 3 in 3D on my friend's RP DLP TV with his Nvidia card many years ago.

How long do people think the format has left?

XBOX Live: Wagmman
PSN: Wagg
BFBC2: Wagman
Steam: Wag

My Second Life character looks and acts exactly like me except he can fly.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 07-07-2017, 05:21 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 643 Post(s)
Liked: 185
The stereo-vision format has been tried many times and always dies away. If it wasnt for the Asia market it would be dying faster. Quite frankly almost always centered shots and often throwing stuff at the screen gets pretty old fast and really dates a movie.
post #3 of 11 Old 07-07-2017, 05:33 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 308 Post(s)
Liked: 176
It appears to be going away again.

I enjoyed the novelty of it for a bit, but I've given all my 3D movies to my son after one or two viewings at the most of the dozen titles I own.

In the long run, if I've got to charge them up and wear cumbersome glasses, I'm not going to find myself going out of my way to enjoy.

It appears I'm holography or 2D oriented!

See ya. Dave

"High Fidelity audio has been like a dog chasing his tail. High Fidelity in my marriage has been much more rewarding because she knows where I sleep."

post #4 of 11 Old 07-07-2017, 05:52 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 643 Post(s)
Liked: 185
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jive Turkey View Post
It appears to be going away again.

I enjoyed the novelty of it for a bit, but I've given all my 3D movies to my son after one or two viewings at the most of the dozen titles I own.

In the long run, if I've got to charge them up and wear cumbersome glasses, I'm not going to find myself going out of my way to enjoy.

It appears I'm holography or 2D oriented!
Somebody would problem mention 'glasses free' as a future TV but then the one person seating in the center would get the most stereo effect and the farther away seating from the center the weaker the stereo effect.
post #5 of 11 Old 07-07-2017, 06:55 PM

Mentioned: 96 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3881 Post(s)
Liked: 3962
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveFi View Post
I don't own a 3D TV so I'm not invested in the format, but I'm just curious about this. Since no 2017 TV models from any manufacturer are 3D, software production will probably end in the not too far distant future.

I always thought this 3D round was just a short lived fad, although I will say I thoroughly enjoyed playing Fallout 3 in 3D on my friend's RP DLP TV with his Nvidia card many years ago.

How long do people think the format has left?

projectors had 3D before the TV's did and will likely continue for the next few years. At least for Epson/Sony/JVC.

3D BD started in 2010 after the avatar craze and expect it will last through at least 2020, just in time for JC to hit the reset switch again.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1630029/

Some of the recent titles like Force Awakens, Rogue One & Underworld Blood Wars look remarkable on a good 3D projector.

I love the format and have a large 3D BD collection.
post #6 of 11 Old 07-07-2017, 07:12 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 2388 Post(s)
Liked: 2162
VR headset's scream 3D.
I can see this technology coming back, eventually...
This is assuming VR itself doesn't die out, and then come back (tech always comes back.)

That's how they get you. Phase it into 1080P, remove it from 4K, re-introduce it after HDMI 4.0 blaa blaa.
It's all planned in advance to rape your wallet empty. Atmos this, HDR that, smell-o-vision this, Dolby Vision 8K that. They'll always cook up something to keep that hamster wheel spinning and kick the can down the road for just a bit longer.

I happened to really enjoy 3D and was totally shocked and bummed out when they removed it from the UHD requirements.
Nothing beats Passive glasses on a high-end TV or projector. Nobody wants battery glasses.
post #7 of 11 Old 07-07-2017, 10:18 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked: 55
I've had both and prefer active.
post #8 of 11 Old 07-07-2017, 11:10 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 19
I enjoy 3D a lot. And I have a passive 3D TV at home with a sizeable library of 3D Blu-rays. But I'm afraid 3D is on a slow decline and it's slowly on its way out. I bought the PlayStation VR to prepare for the eventual breakdown of my TV. Beyond that, I think it's clear that 4K Ultra HD (not necessarily Blu-rays) will reign in the future.
post #9 of 11 Old 07-08-2017, 09:01 AM
Toe

Mentioned: 60 Post(s)
Quoted: 1992 Post(s)
Liked: 2284
I'm a 3d fan, but I don't know anyone in my normal day to day life (outside AVS) that watches 3d at home. Even with my nice home 3d setup, my GF would always prefer we watch 2d when she's over as she hates wearing glasses. Considering most people watch on smaller flat panels as well that are just not anywhere near as immersive as a front projection setup, I'm not surprised 3d is is dead at this point for the most part.

Even 3d projectors are a mixed bag when it comes to 3d. Any non DLP for active 3d will have ghosting/flicker to some degree which can be a major turnoff depending on the person.
post #10 of 11 Old 07-13-2017, 11:39 PM

Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toe View Post
I'm a 3d fan, but I don't know anyone in my normal day to day life (outside AVS) that watches 3d at home. Even with my nice home 3d setup, my GF would always prefer we watch 2d when she's over as she hates wearing glasses. Considering most people watch on smaller flat panels as well that are just not anywhere near as immersive as a front projection setup, I'm not surprised 3d is is dead at this point for the most part.

Even 3d projectors are a mixed bag when it comes to 3d. Any non DLP for active 3d will have ghosting/flicker to some degree which can be a major turnoff depending on the person.
Ha, my GF is the same. She says she gets dizzy. I just love 3D and so sad its not being supported as much, when everyone in the theater pays for 3D, why not at home? I usually tell her, this one is only 3D so u have to watch it in 3D lol.
Toe likes this.

Samsung 3D UN65H7150 UH02;MediaLight Quad Bias Light;Yamaha RX-A2070BL 5.2.4 Atmos/DTSX
Def Tech Promonitor 1000 Def Tech Procenter 2000
Def Tech Promonitor 800 ceilings and surrounds;AC Infinity Aircom T8 Cooling System.
ProSub 800-Klipsch KSW150 Sub;Monster HTS 2600MKII Power Conditioner
Oppo UDP-103 Bluray-Apple TV 4th Gen;Harmony One;PlayStation 4 gaming
post #11 of 11 Old 07-17-2017, 04:22 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 944 Post(s)
Liked: 966
If a $200 Facebook Oculus becomes a reality I suspect 3D BD will make a big revival -- you don't need glasses to watch 3D with a headset and if you're using the headset for movies then 3D is what you're going to want.

Personally I haven't got a clue where this is going but one way or the other I think 3D will be a big part of the best and most immersive visual systems (it is now for the few that know how to do it right and in the future it will become a must have).

I have several 4K HDR/DV setups and for me HDR/DV is a non-starter and I won't be purchasing any more titles. I buy older BDs for $7.00 or 3D titles on Amazon for $8 to $12. When it comes to resolution the law of diminishing returns has kicked in for me big time.

Last edited by Deja Vu; 07-17-2017 at 04:30 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply 3D Content

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page