IMAX 3D to Dwindle in North America - Page 10 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 488Likes

post #271 of 303 Old 08-17-2017, 02:24 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 696 Post(s)
Liked: 281
Reading the thread title I couldn't help but think of a genuine IMAX film in 3D.

As it appears, Aircraft Carrier: Guardians of the Sea is the last "made for IMAX" big documentary film:

https://www.si.edu/files/videos/airc...erwebsitemp4-1

(I just wonder whether the facilities that still show it do feature 3D)

Keeping fingers crossed it'll receive a Blu-ray release in 3D...and not just UHD BD.

"It is only about things that do not interest one that one can give a really unbiased opinion, which is no doubt the reason why an unbiased opinion is always absolutely valueless." Oscar Wilde
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 303 Old 08-17-2017, 08:23 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 866 Post(s)
Liked: 306
The problem with large format releases is you never know when they will get a disc release. There are still a few titles that have never been released. They have a longer theater cycle than typical hollywood so usually at the minimum it's a year before they go to disc but I'm still waiting on one from 2013, Titans of the Ice Age that never got a 2D or 3D release.

Last year there were a number of UHD/3D combos: The Last Reef, Humback Whales, and a few more. This year...any? One 3D doc that was shown last year was National Parks Adventure, so that one might be coming to disc. Hopefully they partner up with the same company that did the UHD/3D combos.

Transformers was nearly all IMAX filmed so that one should get priority in IMAX venues. As I said before, if they're not filmed with IMAX cameras I don't see why they should be shown in IMAX theaters anyway whether they are 3D or just 2D.

This line intentionally left blank.
post #273 of 303 Old 08-17-2017, 03:06 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Can we get this thread back to the original intent?

I still want Star Wars in 3D

post #274 of 303 Old 08-17-2017, 06:26 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by chitchatjf View Post
Can we get this thread back to the original intent?

I want to see the conversions of the original 6 films they promised (there was some talk last year about a Blu-Ray release of all of them in 3D, but given how the industry decided last year to kill 3D in the home, it seems unlikely and the Christmas 2016 season is long gone that it was supposedly going to be available for), but do a search on the Net and look at the HATRED of 3D that comes out in regard to Star Wars being redone in 3D (especially on Gizmodo, the author is just foul-mouthed and calling the inventor of 3D a NAZI and people are just agreeing with him in the comments section about how evil and awful 3D is and my god you have to wear glasses and how that even Lucas couldn't ruin Star Wars as much as 3D would, etc. etc. I thought about opening an account just to tell the author off and how he'd be fired if I ran Gizmodo for comparing 3D (that some of us really like) to Nazis, but it was an old article and no one would care (apparently Gizmodo has a reputation for writing poor English and foul-mouthed tirades these days and it seems no one cares as if it's Reddit. )
King Richard likes this.
post #275 of 303 Old 08-19-2017, 04:54 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 476 Post(s)
Liked: 161
As James Cameron recently said in his online interview last week to support T2 3D release, it's all a monetary decision. If 3D conversions don't do well at the box office, then no reason to continue--he loves to do conversions of his works, but he's not a charity, and the conversions must be top notch--my words. He said that if T2 3D does not do well, he will not continue his conversions. If it does, then he will do Aliens next. The same happened with Star Wars, the first conversion didn't do well
post #276 of 303 Old 08-19-2017, 05:01 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 469 Post(s)
Liked: 335
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Simonian View Post
Buy a projector.

Doesn't exactly work for people in apartments or standard size living rooms.

My opinions do not reflect the policies of my company
post #277 of 303 Old 08-19-2017, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3DBob View Post
As James Cameron recently said in his online interview last week to support T2 3D release, it's all a monetary decision. If 3D conversions don't do well at the box office, then no reason to continue--he loves to do conversions of his works, but he's not a charity, and the conversions must be top notch--my words. He said that if T2 3D does not do well, he will not continue his conversions. If it does, then he will do Aliens next. The same happened with Star Wars, the first conversion didn't do well
Given many people loathe The Phantom Menace, you can't help but wonder if they would have done better starting with 1977 Star Wars in 3D. Plus after reshowing all in the theater not that long ago, it kind if felt a bit like a cash grab, which can turn people off even if they might not mind seeing it, particularly when they charge so much more for 3D and even "XD sound" sometimes! Don't even get me started on refreshment prices. With my home theater, I usually just wait and buy the BD anymore.
post #278 of 303 Old 08-20-2017, 11:48 AM
Bass Enabler

Mentioned: 185 Post(s)
Quoted: 5972 Post(s)
Liked: 5036
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterTHX View Post
Doesn't exactly work for people in apartments or standard size living rooms.
Sure it could.

Most choose not to ...for various reasons.
post #279 of 303 Old 08-21-2017, 02:26 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 696 Post(s)
Liked: 281
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomtastic View Post
The problem with large format releases is you never know when they will get a disc release. There are still a few titles that have never been released.

That's correct, but 'fortunately' K2 Communications - http://www.k2communications.com/film-studio/ - has thus far released most of its distribution titles on 3D BD.

I just hope they continue to release these UHD / 3D BD combos, Aircraft Carrier is definitely a program worth of that treatment, IMHO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chitchatjf View Post

I'm not sure I do. Back in 2008 (?) Texas Instruments showcased a 3D conversion of the opening scene from Star Wars (A New Hope) on a front projector at IFA, Berlin.

When the Star Destroyer filled the screen it did look like a VFX model, because the conversion company added depth, not understanding that a Star Destroyer longer than a mile and watched from 2 or 3 miles distance would inevitably have to look 'flat' in real life because our ability to watch objects in 3D ceases around 200 yards minimum.

"It is only about things that do not interest one that one can give a really unbiased opinion, which is no doubt the reason why an unbiased opinion is always absolutely valueless." Oscar Wilde

Last edited by Frank714; 08-21-2017 at 02:33 AM.
post #280 of 303 Old 08-21-2017, 02:29 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
The same happened with Star Wars, the first conversion didn't do well
It did pretty darn well - $43 million US domestic. Jurassic Park made $45 million and Titanic $57 million.

Episodes II & III were done but the theatrical release (back to back) were kiboshed by Disney's purchase of LucasFilm.

post #281 of 303 Old 08-22-2017, 07:08 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterTHX View Post
It did pretty darn well - $43 million US domestic. Jurassic Park made $45 million and Titanic $57 million.

Episodes II & III were done but the theatrical release (back to back) were kiboshed by Disney's purchase of LucasFilm.
The conversion wasn't done well as I understand it, they didn't want to release substandard 3D. But who knows how Disney thinks.
barfle likes this.
post #282 of 303 Old 08-22-2017, 12:34 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
The conversion wasn't done well as I understand it, they didn't want to release substandard 3D. But who knows how Disney thinks.

They previewed Episodes II & III (to good reviews), Disney killed everything in production to concentrate on Episode VII (games, Clone Wars, etc).

post #283 of 303 Old 09-07-2017, 11:58 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 8
Passengers in 3D

Quote:
Last year there were a number of UHD/3D combos: The Last Reef, Humback Whales, and a few more. This year...any? One 3D doc that was shown last year was National Parks Adventure, so that one might be coming to disc. Hopefully they partner up with the same company that did the UHD/3D combos.
Passengers is available in a multipack UHD and HD3D. I saw it in 3D in a theater and was blown away. I have the 2D bluray, but I'm thinking of shelling out the $30 for the combo pack, just so I can get the 3D.

Last edited by barfle; 09-07-2017 at 12:00 PM. Reason: Fix punctuation
post #284 of 303 Old 09-07-2017, 11:59 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by barfle View Post
Passengers is available in a multipack UHD and HD3D. I saw it in 3D in a theater and was blown away. I have the 2D bluray, but I'm thinking of shelling out the $30 for the combo pack, just so I can get the 3D.
I was referring to documentaries. So far this year I think there aren't any.

post #285 of 303 Old 09-07-2017, 03:46 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Cool

Tickets for Thor are out: IMAX is 3D

Looks like Justice League and Last Jedi will be 3D as well
King Richard likes this.
post #286 of 303 Old 09-10-2017, 08:48 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 859 Post(s)
Liked: 763
It's too bad that people's home experience with 3D wasn't like it has been for me on my LG 65" OLED. I was never even into 3D much but this set does it so well that it's virtually perfect. Not all films benefit from 3D and I get that it's not for everyone. But it's got enough of a following IMO that it could and hopefully will stay around for those of us that do enjoy it. I dunno. Not looking good though, sadly.

I also find the passive 3D is better than active. Lighter glasses which is a benefit for eyeglass wearers and everyone else too. From my own tests I found the image a tad brighter too. For home use, passive if done right is the way to go. The less cumbersome glasses alone is enough to make it the right choice for home use.

LG OLED65E6P, Samsung PN64H5000
Samsung UBD-8500K, LG BD 570
Polk RTi Towers, STi surrounds
Polk Subwoofer
Sony DH550 AVR
post #287 of 303 Old 09-10-2017, 09:19 AM

Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 79
[QUOTE=RoadLizard;54774162] But it's got enough of a following IMO that it could and hopefully will stay around for those of us that do enjoy it. I dunno. Not looking good though, sadly. QUOTE]

Yep, this generation of 3D is dying. Really a shame. James Cameron has delayed the release of the next Avatar until 2020. My hope is that he is waiting for the next iteration of 3D to be available. Also it seems that the price of the few 3D blurays coming to market are $10 more expensive than they used to be. Oh well.
post #288 of 303 Old 09-10-2017, 12:31 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadLizard View Post
It's too bad that people's home experience with 3D wasn't like it has been for me on my LG 65" OLED.

I agree using a Samsung 65" which I prefer over LG's OLED for many reasons. When Avatar was released in 3D Blu-ray for home use is when most either embraced or disliked 3D. I think those that disliked 3D viewed it on cheap rushed to market panels producing substandard video because no one was familiar with laying out big bucks for decent ones. Most of these upgraders figured if I'm abandoning my 300 lb hand me down Zenith console and I'm buying a new TV it better have High Def and 3D. As long as the ad said !3D!, well, 3D is 3D and paying more must be for other things they didn't care about or understand.... as long as it did 3D. Once they got the set home and plugged the disc in, no wonder they disliked it. Default settings were wrong but never touched and the complications getting everything just right wasn't worth the effort let alone the knowledge often leading to guesswork producing further degradation. The tech at the time introduced cross talk on just about every panel. Not that the glasses were heavy, they were just an inconvenience to those who never wore glasses routinely. Add it all up and lots of folks made a judgement they hold on to this day not realizing MUCH has changed for the better and remember these folks are still bitter about their former investment.

Quote:
I also find the passive 3D is better than active.

I find quite the opposite. Using active, every pixel is used producing full resolution to each eye as active 3D always has. Passive, as I understand it (including OLED), turns off every other line of vertical resolution pixels essentially rendering half resolution since these pixels are off and not being used and equate to black lines of nothing. You can confirm this by looking. I see OLED owners say it doesn't matter and to just sit back away from the screen further and then you won't know what you're missing. Active 1080p 3D on a 2160p display, allowed to upscale, further enhances detail using all the pixels as well.

Quote:
Lighter glasses which is a benefit for eyeglass wearers and everyone else too. From my own tests I found the image a tad brighter too. For home use, passive if done right is the way to go. The less cumbersome glasses alone is enough to make it the right choice for home use.

Brightness is a moot issue once you calibrate so if passive is "brighter" for you, congratulations, you just clipped whites. In the pitch black dark room OLED users are limited to, (caves) brightness shouldn't be as concerning. After all, it's being reported normal default brightness settings should be altered to very, very low so 'Burn-in' and 'Image Retention' are held at bay a little longer. Active users can watch bright 3D in sunlit rooms using high brightness settings with no problems while dark rooms look equally as impressive.

My active glasses weigh less than passive glasses. My lightweight prescription computer glasses weigh more. The inclusion of a tiny coin cell battery is not noticeable to me and still is on par with passive glasses. One would have to be pretty sensitive to deem it cumbersome even if it did weigh slightly, and I mean slightly more. At that sensitivity level, you probably avoid direct sunlight at all costs, always wear ear protection, and have someone at your side constantly. (JK)

I'm not going to let a 3D pity party get me down or guess the time of it's demise. I'm going to enjoy what I have and what continues to come. At home I watch titles over and over again when in a 3D mood and will never tire of them. Each new addition adds to the realm. When and if 3D runs dry, I still have what I've got enhancing my overall collection. I picked a 3D display for longevity and diversity. If it goes south, so be it. My 3D titles will still render 2D if need be.
post #289 of 303 Old 09-10-2017, 12:51 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 859 Post(s)
Liked: 763
Quote:
Originally Posted by brazen1 View Post
I agree using a Samsung 65" which I prefer over LG's OLED for many reasons. When Avatar was released in 3D Blu-ray for home use is when most either embraced or disliked 3D. I think those that disliked 3D viewed it on cheap rushed to market panels producing substandard video because no one was familiar with laying out big bucks for decent ones. Most of these upgraders figured if I'm abandoning my 300 lb hand me down Zenith console and I'm buying a new TV it better have High Def and 3D. As long as the ad said !3D!, well, 3D is 3D and paying more must be for other things they didn't care about or understand.... as long as it did 3D. Once they got the set home and plugged the disc in, no wonder they disliked it. Default settings were wrong but never touched and the complications getting everything just right wasn't worth the effort let alone the knowledge often leading to guesswork producing further degradation. The tech at the time introduced cross talk on just about every panel. Not that the glasses were heavy, they were just an inconvenience to those who never wore glasses routinely. Add it all up and lots of folks made a judgement they hold on to this day not realizing MUCH has changed for the better and remember these folks are still bitter about their former investment.

I find quite the opposite. Using active, every pixel is used producing full resolution to each eye as active 3D always has. Passive, as I understand it (including OLED), turns off every other line of vertical resolution pixels essentially rendering half resolution since these pixels are off and not being used and equate to black lines of nothing. You can confirm this by looking. I see OLED owners say it doesn't matter and to just sit back away from the screen further and then you won't know what you're missing. Active 1080p 3D on a 2160p display, allowed to upscale, further enhances detail using all the pixels as well.

Brightness is a moot issue once you calibrate so if passive is "brighter" for you, congratulations, you just clipped whites. In the pitch black dark room OLED users are limited to, (caves) brightness shouldn't be as concerning. After all, it's being reported normal default brightness settings should be altered to very, very low so 'Burn-in' and 'Image Retention' are held at bay a little longer. Active users can watch bright 3D in sunlit rooms using high brightness settings with no problems while dark rooms look equally as impressive.

My active glasses weigh less than passive glasses. My lightweight prescription computer glasses weigh more. The inclusion of a tiny coin cell battery is not noticeable to me and still is on par with passive glasses. One would have to be pretty sensitive to deem it cumbersome even if it did weigh slightly, and I mean slightly more. At that sensitivity level, you probably avoid direct sunlight at all costs, always wear ear protection, and have someone at your side constantly. (JK)

I'm not going to let a 3D pity party get me down or guess the time of it's demise. I'm going to enjoy what I have and what continues to come. At home I watch titles over and over again when in a 3D mood and will never tire of them. Each new addition adds to the realm. When and if 3D runs dry, I still have what I've got enhancing my overall collection. I picked a 3D display for longevity and diversity. If it goes south, so be it. My 3D titles will still render 2D if need be.
Fair enough. We are on the same team here, that's the point.

My experience with 3D the first time around was on a Sony 850B which was active. It was downright terrible. The glasses were unruly, the image was messed up badly too. I returned the TV for other reasons but the 3D was bad. So, it was that first impression of active 3D that killed it for me.

I did experiment with active 3D on a Samsung 8500 LCD which was much better than the Sony although the batteries in the glasses ran out fast it seemed. Oh well.

Sadly, none of this matters for us anymore.

LG OLED65E6P, Samsung PN64H5000
Samsung UBD-8500K, LG BD 570
Polk RTi Towers, STi surrounds
Polk Subwoofer
Sony DH550 AVR
post #290 of 303 Old 09-10-2017, 08:46 PM

Well, I'll say one thing. I've never bought so many Blu-Rays in such a short time in my life and some of the 3D ones aren't cheap. I now have 66 3D Blu-Ray titles just since July (just added Shrek 1-4, Angry Birds, Piranha 3DD, Top Gun, The Avengers and Ghost In the Shell all in the last week alone). I think I've become a 3D addict or something.

I do wish the Epson 3100 projector I have was a little brighter in 3D mode (2D is almost too bright), but it's decent and worth it to have 3D on a 93" screen instead of some tiny TV picture and while 93" at 9 feet should show some actual improvement with 4K, I don't feel I'm missing a thing at 1080p even so as it's already fantastically sharp). I had to play with numerous settings to minimize crosstalk (never set 3D beyond medium brightness for 3D effect (max brightness for full power mode is OK, although the fans are louder) and never use Dynamic 3D brightness settings (stick with 3D theater). Both increase crosstalk like mad. Some titles have to have the 3D depth setting tweaked as well to minimize the issue (typically 0 or 1, but a few movies needed it at 3; it seems something is not quite standardized) plus some movies have almost no crosstalk (e.g. Beauty and the Beast 3D with Emma Watson) while others have more issues by comparison (e.g. Pacific Rim). I've got three different brands of active glasses and none have any effect what-so-ever on the amount of crosstalk present, which is odd in a way since apparently there was a brand of adjustable timing glasses available for IR that could eliminate crosstalk for a given projector entirely with some tweaking to the timing of the shutters and how long they blocked the light). One brand has a nice option to turn 3D into 2D for someone that can't see and/or stand 3D while allowing everyone else in the room to watch in 3D.

I personally tend to think 4K (as in the resolution itself) is largely a waste of time for the masses (In other words, probably 95-99% of all people with 4K sets will never realistically see anything close to actual 4K resolution unless they happen to walk by their TV set as most sets aren't big enough at average viewing distances to see one bit over 1080p). So they added HDR/WCG to grab your attention as you can see that at a distance. But I say big deal. They could have added that to 1080p standards if they wanted to (my projector has 10-bit color but nothing will drive it except the PS4 and other than potentially games, nothing will support it, not even 4K discs down-converted since they just strip the bits on down conversion). Films used to be shown ON ACTUAL FILM in a theater and it already had the improved contrast and color built-in. I don't remember people spazzing out with a perpetual techno BUZZ seeing those movies back then. But I guess when you spend $5000 on a set you have to try to find SOMETHING to get excited about to justify the expense.

None of that even comes CLOSE to the "change" you get between 2D and 3D, IMO. That's more about an evolutionary increase in resolution/contrast/color that's nice, but 3D is revolutionary. It's hard to watch the 2D version after seeing the 3D version, IMO. It looks so darn FLAT (even titles that don't use the effects for pop-out still have depth to them). In a dark room with a giant screen in 3D, you feel almost like you're a fly on the wall in the movie rather than someone watching a movie on a FLAT screen in a theater. Some extra contrast or a surreal red color isn't going to make up for losing all of your depth perception. Besides, I'm starting to think the wide color gamut is apt to be abused. For example, my Angry Birds Ultra 4K disc is perhaps a bit TOO surreal looking, IMO and I'm afraid titles are going to go into the "NOTICE ME!" circles instead of sticking with "realistic" looking just to differentiate themselves from the 1080p disc included). I don't want all my movies to look like black light posters. I've turned on "VIVID" mode on my Plasma before and it's "neat" for a few minutes, but it's ultimately like a black light poster. WCG is a good, idea, but only so long as it's natural and they don't purposely abuse it.

Of course, they could have had 4K with 3D and it wouldn't be an issue (and some on here wouldn't have to choose between 4K and 3D when their set does BOTH).... But then they could have charged the same or only a few dollars more for the 3D titles (even if that meant only including a 3D disc and no 2D one which is superfluous anyway since any 3D set can turn 3D into 2D at the push of a button and even glasses (as above) can do it on the fly. And they could have had 3D on every BD player ever made so it wasn't even a question of IF it would work. They could have done a lot of things, but some of those decisions involved investing money early, etc. and when it comes to money, corporations will kill something to save 10 cents a unit, even. Greed knows NO BOUNDS, after all. But it's sad they are killing an entire EXPERIENCE because it's not making money fast enough. So they moved to 4K to make them rich, but 4K sets on their own are moot and again, you're not going to see 4K on most sets they're selling so it's a JOKE. You're paying a LOT more for 4K discs to get HDR/WCG and very little else. They've even moved Atmos to ONLY the 4K discs for many new movies as if Atmos doesn't work with regular Blu-Rays (it does, of course). It's only to get you to pay for something you don't actually need by making you think you do. I'd still rather have 3D and there's no good reason Ghost In the Shell 3D has Atmos but Gravity 3D doesn't (especially when you can buy the Atmos BD and remux the track with the 3D video and burn it and have both by doing it yourself).
dew42 and cky2354 like this.
post #291 of 303 Old 10-02-2017, 12:28 PM

Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 16
I wonder for all the people who can't get on board, or never really liked 3D, had issues with glasses and headaches, have you all ever tried VR? I'm thinking if you are one of those who does get headaches and you can't experience VR, you're missing out so much. It's freaking amazing, as in if you think 3D is awesome, it has nothing on VR.

I love and enjoy watching 3D, but yeah, the content and conversions have not done the tech any good. Although I saw the King Arthur and really liked it and felt as though it was shot with 3D in mind. Also the director was a nice change of pace. And I hear the new Transformers Last Knight was shot with 3D in mind, so waiting for that to come in the mail too. Avatar 2 can't come out soon enough to hopefully revitalize everyone as to why 3D is so great.

But as I've said, VR is a another animal altogether. I have the Oculus and that thing is amazing. Still getting used to the headset comfort, but immersion is so life-like in the games, demos, videos, that anyone who hasn't tried it yet, go to Best Buy or Microsoft and try it out. You won't regret it, other than possibly having to buy an expensive PC to run the darn thing. It's definitely not cheap, but man, VR has so many applications and I feel is here for good. But its one of those things you can't describe unless you get under the hood to feel the power of it. It will make you a believer.

So yeah, continue to support 3D, VR, and even AR
post #292 of 303 Old 10-03-2017, 08:59 AM

Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Looks like there will be no IMAX 3D showings of the new Blade Runner movie. Our see out town has 2D only, 3D is on a smaller screen down the hall.

On a side note.

Seeing how some folks here feel compelled to spend all kinds of money collecting 3D discs just because the movie is offered in 3D. So how many of these folks are actually re-watching all these discs over and over again? I mean seriously, some of these movies I see people tripping over themselves to buy are absolute garbage flix that most folks barely could watch once.

I just don't get it. Why do people throw away so much money on crap JUST because it's in a format they think will survive in the marketplace?
post #293 of 303 Old 10-03-2017, 01:00 PM

Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by GordonTV View Post
Seeing how some folks here feel compelled to spend all kinds of money collecting 3D discs just because the movie is offered in 3D. So how many of these folks are actually re-watching all these discs over and over again? I mean seriously, some of these movies I see people tripping over themselves to buy are absolute garbage flix that most folks barely could watch once.

I just don't get it. Why do people throw away so much money on crap JUST because it's in a format they think will survive in the marketplace?
That's why I rent. I usually only watch movies once anyways, unless they're really awesome. But I used to buy 3D movies a couple of years back but would only do so when they would go on sale, like $19.99, but yeah, most movies I hardly ever re-watch.

But what you say can apply to alot of things, even just regular DVD or Bluray movies, most people won't re-watch them but will still buy them. Most movies are available via Netflix, Amazon, etc. so people are buying less discs, unless you want full 1080P, 4K, True-HD, Dolby-DTS, Atmos, etc. which you won't get via those stream. And knowing people here who have good equipment, they want to get the most out of their tv/projector, avr, and sound system, so nothing wrong with that. Not going to lie, I can't stand stereo or non HD audio when I stream it, even though I probably can't tell I just need to know I have the HD audio please

post #294 of 303 Old 10-05-2017, 09:27 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Just found this quote online regarding the release of Blade Runner 2049 in 2D IMAX.

"The film is being released by Warner Bros. domestically, and Sony Pictures Releasing in overseas territories. In addition to standard 2D and 3D formats, Blade Runner 2049 is set for release in IMAX theaters. Due to the popularity and preference of IMAX in 2D (as opposed to 3D) among moviegoers in North America, the film will be shown in IMAX theaters in only 2D domestically, but will be screened in 3D formats internationally."

Does anyone know anyone that prefers IMAX in 2D? What a crock...
post #295 of 303 Old 10-05-2017, 09:38 AM

Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked: 42
??

How many movies/years has IMAX offered full 3-D since IMAX came out? How m any years and how many movies has IMAX offered in 2D? I'd venture to guess there were many more 2D showings on IMAX and many moviegoers who went to them and enjoyed them just fine.
post #296 of 303 Old 10-05-2017, 12:07 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 819 Post(s)
Liked: 311
Well, it looks like IMAX is not presenting Blade Runner in 3D so I'll have to go to another theater for this one. There is another theater that I actually like a bit better (Atmos and for 2.40:1 content the image is actually bigger) but it's more expensive and further away. Great example of a title I will go further and pay extra for. Good job, IMAX.
post #297 of 303 Old 10-05-2017, 07:29 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I checked, two theaters in town here has it (Blade Runner 2049) in 3D and only for one time at 7:30 each, looks like they switched to RealD, used to be Dolby Digital. I will try to see it this weekend. Looking forward to it!

IMAX in 2D only here.

Last edited by tomtastic; 10-05-2017 at 07:32 PM.
post #298 of 303 Old 10-06-2017, 12:12 PM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 9
Quote:
I checked, two theaters in town here has it (Blade Runner 2049) in 3D and only for one time at 7:30 each, looks like they switched to RealD, used to be Dolby Digital. I will try to see it this weekend. Looking forward to it!

IMAX in 2D only here.
Only one picture show house projecting 3-D in Louisville, so that's where I am going. I hardly ever visit the walk-in-thee-ayter anymore, but this one is special.

--
Dan Shane
LG 65UH8500
post #299 of 303 Old 10-06-2017, 01:06 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by danlshane View Post
Only one picture show house projecting 3-D in Louisville, so that's where I am going. I hardly ever visit the walk-in-thee-ayter anymore, but this one is special.
Me neither since I put in a little theater downstairs with 140" screen. Last movie I saw in theater was Interstellar. But it's Blade Runner, so...

post #300 of 303 Old 10-07-2017, 05:22 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Just saw Blade Runner 2049, I noticed Geostorm in the trailers is getting an IMAX 3D release.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply 3D Content

Tags
imax , imax 3d

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page