Strange vertical black bars on Guardians 2 3D - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 08-22-2017, 08:26 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1574 Post(s)
Liked: 1550
Strange vertical black bars on Guardians 2 3D

Watched Guardians of the Galaxy 2 in 3D this evening in my 120 inch screen with an oppo 105D and Sony 45es projector. The aspect ratio changes from 2.40:1 to 1.78:1 quite often. I also noticed that I would quite often get black bars on the sides of the picture fairly regularly also. Sometimes just on the left, other times on the right, and sometimes both. On the 120 inch screen they ranged from 2-6 inches. It was really distracting and I could not concentrate on the movie as it was irritating me. I wasn't sure if I had a bad disc or something else was wrong.

After the movie was over I put in King Arthur in 3D and noticed it a little bit much less than GOTG2. To rule out a bad piece of equipment in my game room I tried GOTG2 on my oppo203/LG65c6p system and LG970/LG55c6p systems and had the same issues at the same times.

This obviously isn't an equipment problem and likely not a disc problem as it happened on the 2 I tried. It did not happen on a 16:9 disc I tried.

Is this just a limitation of the format? I didn't notice it while watching King Arthur this past weekend. I think the reason I noticed it during GOTG2 was because the aspect ratio changes constantly and I was looking around more. Interestingly when I turned off 3D on my projector it would still happen with the 3D disc.

My wife didn't notice it at all until I pointed it out. Once scene in particular between 1hr 12min and 1hr 14min was really bad.

Here is a paused screenshot, look at the black bar on the left compared to the velvet frame of my screen.

Last edited by raynist; 08-22-2017 at 08:29 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 08-22-2017, 08:27 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Here is the picture
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image1.JPG (366.9 KB, 99 views)

JTR (3 215 RT, 5 212HTR, 2 Growlers, 4 S2's)
PSA (4 Triax's, 3 210T's)
Behringer (4 B1200 Midbass Modules)
post #3 of 7 Old 08-23-2017, 01:05 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 866 Post(s)
Liked: 306
This was asked in another thread a few days ago. It's called floating windows.

The AR change is a director's choice for IMAX presentation which is then preserved for the Blu ray version.

This line intentionally left blank.

post #4 of 7 Old 08-23-2017, 03:53 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Thanks!

Not sure how I missed that one!
post #5 of 7 Old 08-24-2017, 10:06 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked: 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by raynist View Post
Thanks!

Not sure how I missed that one!
Just to make it clear to any new person reading this thread. There is nothing wrong with the 3D version of Guardians of the Galaxy 3D that the op owns. The Director changes aspect ratios throughout depending on the scene. What that means is some scenes will have black bars, others will fill up your HDTV screen.
post #6 of 7 Old 08-24-2017, 11:41 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supermans View Post
Just to make it clear to any new person reading this thread. There is nothing wrong with the 3D version of Guardians of the Galaxy 3D that the op owns. The Director changes aspect ratios throughout depending on the scene. What that means is some scenes will have black bars, others will fill up your HDTV screen.
I don't think you read my whole post, I am aware of the aspect ratio changes in a movie that has some IMAX scenes, I have several non 3D movies that do this also The issue I was posting about was the black bars that show up VERTICALLY during the 3D movie. I guess this is normal (floating window) also but this movie does it far more often than any I have watched in the past. This was the first Marvel movie I have watched in 3D and apparently all Marvel movies do this.
post #7 of 7 Old 08-25-2017, 05:15 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked: 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by raynist View Post
I don't think you read my whole post, I am aware of the aspect ratio changes in a movie that has some IMAX scenes, I have several non 3D movies that do this also The issue I was posting about was the black bars that show up VERTICALLY during the 3D movie. I guess this is normal (floating window) also but this movie does it far more often than any I have watched in the past. This was the first Marvel movie I have watched in 3D and apparently all Marvel movies do this.
I apologize, I misunderstood or read it too quickly. Those vertical bars are normal as you now know, nothing to be alarmed about. I honestly didn't notice anything while watching on my OLED because I watch it in pitch black darkness most of the time and the bars are invisible.

OLED65G6P(last US 3D OLED), PN64F8500(last Plasma), HLR5087W(Kirk Model Pedestal DLP)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply 3D Content

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page