Wonder Woman 4K/3D French combo.... - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 2Likes

post #1 of 34 Old 08-29-2017, 06:35 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 859 Post(s)
Liked: 767
Wonder Woman 4K/3D French combo....

Anyone know or can anyone confirm that the upcoming Wonder Woman 4K/3D combo disc from Amazon France will be region free? I really want both versions but dont care to buy both, ya know?

I know Warner is usually region free but it'd be a costly mistake to get an R2 disc, right?

Thanks!

LG OLED65E6P, Samsung PN64H5000
Samsung UBD-8500K, LG BD 570
Polk RTi Towers, STi surrounds
Polk Subwoofer
Sony DH550 AVR
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 34 Old 08-30-2017, 06:59 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 328 Post(s)
Liked: 149
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadLizard View Post
Anyone know or can anyone confirm that the upcoming Wonder Woman 4K/3D combo disc from Amazon France will be region free? I really want both versions but dont care to buy both, ya know?

I know Warner is usually region free but it'd be a costly mistake to get an R2 disc, right?

Thanks!
The only problem I have had playing European 3D discs is with finding the correct subtitles to download for German Iron Man trilogy which lacks English subtitles.

You will probably be OK but it may be best to wait until you can confirm the discs have what you want.

Anál nathrach, orth’ bháis’s bethad, do chél dénmha
post #3 of 34 Old 08-30-2017, 07:06 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Postmoderndesign View Post
The only problem I have had playing European 3D discs is with finding the correct subtitles to download for German Iron Man trilogy which lacks English subtitles.

You will probably be OK but it may be best to wait until you can confirm the discs have what you want.
Excellent - thanks. I probably will wait. I would just love to order it ahead of time

Polk Subwoofer
Sony DH550 AVR

post #4 of 34 Old 08-30-2017, 02:10 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 60
I would be interested in this too. Does Warner have a history of releasing 3D discs be region free?

I noticed Amazon France also has Spider-Man Homecoming in a similar package. I'd love that one also since we are again shortchanged over here.
post #5 of 34 Old 08-31-2017, 01:32 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked: 31
I'm going to go ahead and order the 4K/3D combo set from Amazon France. I think it's safe to bet that they will be region free from researching on bluray.com. I'm also going to order the Spider-Man 4K/3D combo as well. I hope Amazon sees how popular these are and offer them in the states for future releases like they did for Star Trek Beyond. I think at the current conversion rate.. if I get it shipped together, then total comes to about $70 US dollar which is $35/each and that's what I have been paying for these combo sets. Only thing bad is I will have to probably wait awhile to get them both since Spider-Man isn't coming out till sometime in October. That's going to be a long wait! But I think I rather have the combo then having to double dip on these.
post #6 of 34 Old 08-31-2017, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cky2354 View Post
I'm going to go ahead and order the 4K/3D combo set from Amazon France. I think it's safe to bet that they will be region free from researching on bluray.com. I'm also going to order the Spider-Man 4K/3D combo as well. I hope Amazon sees how popular these are and offer them in the states for future releases like they did for Star Trek Beyond. I think at the current conversion rate.. if I get it shipped together, then total comes to about $70 US dollar which is $35/each and that's what I have been paying for these combo sets. Only thing bad is I will have to probably wait awhile to get them both since Spider-Man isn't coming out till sometime in October. That's going to be a long wait! But I think I rather have the combo then having to double dip on these.
I am very tempted to do the same, but I am little more worried that at least one of these will not work over here. I'd be more suspect of Sony not being region free for Spider Man. I'm totally ok with paying $35 for a combo package though.

What research gives you confidence that these may be region free?
post #7 of 34 Old 09-01-2017, 05:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarshallFaulk28 View Post
I am very tempted to do the same, but I am little more worried that at least one of these will not work over here. I'd be more suspect of Sony not being region free for Spider Man. I'm totally ok with paying $35 for a combo package though.

I know that WB has been region free but not sure about Sony. That's going to be tough one. But I just realize that I want digital copy of both movies here in the US and the problem is I won't be able to redeem them here in UHD... well maybe Wonder Woman but I don't know about Sony again. I might just have to double dip on these two titles now. I wish Best Buy or Amazon would have released them in 4K/3D combo. I would have paid retail for them! I don't understand why they don't do it... all the 4K/3D combos have been sold out. They have to see that.
post #8 of 34 Old 09-01-2017, 08:09 AM

Quote:
I know that WB has been region free but not sure about Sony. That's going to be tough one. But I just realize that I want digital copy of both movies here in the US and the problem is I won't be able to redeem them here in UHD... well maybe Wonder Woman but I don't know about Sony again. I might just have to double dip on these two titles now. I wish Best Buy or Amazon would have released them in 4K/3D combo. I would have paid retail for them! I don't understand why they don't do it... all the 4K/3D combos have been sold out. They have to see that.
I think even with the U.S. Spider-Man, you probably can't get the UHD redemption anyway unless you have the Sony TV and service, right? Warner should hopefully be ok to redeem Wonder Woman in UHD, so I don't know if it's possible to redeem the UK discs here. I've redeemed a Canadian code before down here, but not sure about France.

I see what you mean about Warner and being region free. From doing some quick research, it does seem like they have a good history of not region locking. It appears Sony has done some region free discs as well, but I don't know if it's good enough odds to gamble.

It is totally baffling that at least one of the retailers is not bringing over the combo package for either of these movies. Especially if it's an exclusive the like the recent Best Buy ones, they will sell out no problem at $35.
cky2354 likes this.
post #9 of 34 Old 09-01-2017, 08:45 AM

Quote:
I think even with the U.S. Spider-Man, you probably can't get the UHD redemption anyway unless you have the Sony TV and service, right? Warner should hopefully be ok to redeem Wonder Woman in UHD, so I don't know if it's possible to redeem the UK discs here. I've redeemed a Canadian code before down here, but not sure about France.

I see what you mean about Warner and being region free. From doing some quick research, it does seem like they have a good history of not region locking. It appears Sony has done some region free discs as well, but I don't know if it's good enough odds to gamble.

It is totally baffling that at least one of the retailers is not bringing over the combo package for either of these movies. Especially if it's an exclusive the like the recent Best Buy ones, they will sell out no problem at $35.
Any big titles especially huge success at the box office should be a no brainer like these two titles. Why only in France? I think people are still inclined to buy the 4k/3D combos if they don't really need the 3D or 4K they will just sell it so that it's cheaper price overall for them. Regardless I just don't know why they do it for certain titles and then decide not to do it for others. I mean... if they want to see how fast and how many they sell to see if they want to keep doing it, the market should tell them there is a huge demand for these so keep releasing it this way. Who's behind all this marketing? They sure don't know squat. Bunch of idiots it looks like! Sony did so well in pricing those combos in the beginning like Ghostbusters and Angry Birds, I was hoping that they continue that trend.

Last edited by cky2354; 09-01-2017 at 08:48 AM.
post #10 of 34 Old 09-01-2017, 10:22 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:

Spider Man Homecoming is Marvel studios (Disney) not Sony.
post #11 of 34 Old 09-01-2017, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DenisG View Post
Spider Man Homecoming is Marvel studios (Disney) not Sony.
It was produced by Marvel, but I believe the disc distribution for this one is still be handled by Sony. Maybe that was part of the agreement between Sony and Disney that allowed Disney to get the rights back? I'm not sure.

You can see the Sony logo on the side of the packaging:

https://www.amazon.fr/gp/product/B07...f_rd_i=desktop
post #12 of 34 Old 09-01-2017, 11:11 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
It was produced by Marvel, but I believe the disc distribution for this one is still be handled by Sony. Maybe that was part of the agreement between Sony and Disney that allowed Disney to get the rights back? I'm not sure.

You can see the Sony logo on the side of the packaging:

https://www.amazon.fr/gp/product/B07...f_rd_i=desktop
Ok, Wikipedia has Sony listed as Distributed by Sony Pictures Releasing.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spider-Man:_Homecoming
Sony Pictures Entertainment Co-Chairman Amy Pascal and president Doug Belgrad were released, stating that Sony wanted Marvel Studios to produce a new trilogy of Spider-Man films while Sony retained "creative control, marketing and distribution".

Last edited by DenisG; 09-01-2017 at 11:14 AM.
post #13 of 34 Old 09-01-2017, 12:43 PM

I think I'm just going to get the Wonder Woman in 3D for now (missed the Walmart Preorder for $21.50) ... and enjoy the glorious 3D and Atmos and when the 4K dips in price, I will get that as well. I will save the digital code from 3D and sell it and redeem the 4K UHD one when I get that when price falls below $20. That's my plan and mostly likely will be the same way for Spider-Man. I think if I wait till the price drops for the 4K, then the price will come out to be about the same as getting the combo from France. I enjoy 3D more than 4K anyway.
post #14 of 34 Old 09-03-2017, 06:22 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I think I'm just going to get the Wonder Woman in 3D for now (missed the Walmart Preorder for $21.50) ... and enjoy the glorious 3D and Atmos and when the 4K dips in price, I will get that as well. I will save the digital code from 3D and sell it and redeem the 4K UHD one when I get that when price falls below $20. That's my plan and mostly likely will be the same way for Spider-Man. I think if I wait till the price drops for the 4K, then the price will come out to be about the same as getting the combo from France. I enjoy 3D more than 4K anyway.
Yeah, that's probably a safe bet. My concern as I mentioned in another thread is that eventually there may be no way to play our 3D discs since our TVs won't last forever and/or we may want to upgrade at some point. Since most mfgers are out of the 3D realm, that really makes me nervous about buying 3D over 4K even though I agree with you that 3D is more impressive on my OLED than 4K has been.

Damnit. What to do? That's why I love the combo sets where you get the 4K, 3D and bluray versions. Perfect. All bases covered. I'm still on the fence about the French version but I'm very confident it's region free.

Polk Subwoofer
Sony DH550 AVR
post #15 of 34 Old 09-04-2017, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Yeah, that's probably a safe bet. My concern as I mentioned in another thread is that eventually there may be no way to play our 3D discs since our TVs won't last forever and/or we may want to upgrade at some point. Since most mfgers are out of the 3D realm, that really makes me nervous about buying 3D over 4K even though I agree with you that 3D is more impressive on my OLED than 4K has been.

Damnit. What to do? That's why I love the combo sets where you get the 4K, 3D and bluray versions. Perfect. All bases covered. I'm still on the fence about the French version but I'm very confident it's region free.
I am probably putting more thought into this decision than it warrants. Definitely a first world problem.

I'm not so worried about the 3D no longer being supported. That will eventually happen, and it sucks, but I am not planning on upgrading my TV for some time. For me to upgrade and lose my 3D, there had better be something replacing it other than just a better 4k picture. I like my 3D movie collection and plan on having it for awhile.

I think I may have to just take a gamble on these. It's not a complete gamble, right? Worst case is you're still getting the 4k versions?
post #16 of 34 Old 09-05-2017, 04:20 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I am probably putting more thought into this decision than it warrants. Definitely a first world problem.

I'm not so worried about the 3D no longer being supported. That will eventually happen, and it sucks, but I am not planning on upgrading my TV for some time. For me to upgrade and lose my 3D, there had better be something replacing it other than just a better 4k picture. I like my 3D movie collection and plan on having it for awhile.

I think I may have to just take a gamble on these. It's not a complete gamble, right? Worst case is you're still getting the 4k versions?
Yeah, I hera ya. The 4K version is 99.99999% sure to be region free. I bet the whole set is.
sparky7 likes this.

Polk Subwoofer
Sony DH550 AVR
post #17 of 34 Old 09-13-2017, 04:04 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 24
A quick check on the Amz.UK .The back cover of the disc shows that the 3D only 5.1 and BD is Atmos.
Warner Bros is doing it again like Kong: Skull Island.
Very disappointed for not giving the 3D the right audio mix.
post #18 of 34 Old 09-13-2017, 08:37 PM

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 7
Hi, can someone explain what to expect on the disc itself when buying from France? Wouldn't it be re-dubbed in French, not the actual theatrical US version?

David
Looking to buy any extra 3D movies/discs! Send me a PM!
post #19 of 34 Old 09-14-2017, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by webdj777 View Post
Hi, can someone explain what to expect on the disc itself when buying from France? Wouldn't it be re-dubbed in French, not the actual theatrical US version?
I'm assuming it comes with the English audio track? The default would likely be French, but I would guess English would also be on the disc. At least I hope that is the case. I wouldn't want to watch with English subtitles.
post #20 of 34 Old 09-14-2017, 01:22 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 52
From what I have read, the UHD is region free, the 3D disc is region locked
post #21 of 34 Old 09-14-2017, 03:05 PM

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 7
Quote:
I'm assuming it comes with the English audio track? The default would likely be French, but I would guess English would also be on the disc. At least I hope that is the case. I wouldn't want to watch with English subtitles.
Maybe I will let you guys buy it first so I know how much I have to suffer through to save $30.

David
Looking to buy any extra 3D movies/discs! Send me a PM!
post #22 of 34 Old 09-14-2017, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonAlam View Post
From what I have read, the UHD is region free, the 3D disc is region locked
That sucks. Where did you read this? I don't think this combo pack is being released there until late October.
post #23 of 34 Old 09-15-2017, 08:42 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 52
I believe in the Wonder Woman 3D thread
post #24 of 34 Old 09-15-2017, 09:52 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Bought "Underworld Blood Wars" 3D from Amazon Germany. Its a Sony 3d disc with 2D bluray. Both are region free with choice of English DTS-HD or German DTS-HD. I would bet the french "Wonder Woman" is the same.
post #25 of 34 Old 09-15-2017, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonAlam View Post
I believe in the Wonder Woman 3D thread
I must have missed it. Where is the thread?
post #26 of 34 Old 09-18-2017, 04:02 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

I think Im just going to go with the USA 3D version. I dont want to wait until October 30th and I just dont want to chance there being any issues with region coding or whatever. A few early reports from another website claim that the 4K is solid but not reference quality. That, and the fact that I have $10 bucks of member credit at my Local Best Buy pretty much seals the deal. I can get the exclusive 3D set there for $27.99 - $10.00 GC = $17.99 on release day.

Done.

Polk Subwoofer
Sony DH550 AVR
post #27 of 34 Old 09-19-2017, 08:53 AM

Quote:
I think Im just going to go with the USA 3D version. I dont want to wait until October 30th and I just dont want to chance there being any issues with region coding or whatever. A few early reports from another website claim that the 4K is solid but not reference quality. That, and the fact that I have $10 bucks of member credit at my Local Best Buy pretty much seals the deal. I can get the exclusive 3D set there for $27.99 - $10.00 GC = $17.99 on release day.

Done.
So are you also going to buy the 4K or wait on that one?

I still have my French pre-order in place. I am ok to wait as I seem to have too much to watch right now anyway. I think it will be an even longer wait because I'm guessing they will wait until Spider-Man is released and ship them together. I just hope that if the 3D version doesn't work that it is still available to purchase over here. The 3D copies of movies seem to be pretty limited run these days. Either that or I may need to add a region free player to my life. :P
post #28 of 34 Old 09-20-2017, 04:29 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
So are you also going to buy the 4K or wait on that one?

I still have my French pre-order in place. I am ok to wait as I seem to have too much to watch right now anyway. I think it will be an even longer wait because I'm guessing they will wait until Spider-Man is released and ship them together. I just hope that if the 3D version doesn't work that it is still available to purchase over here. The 3D copies of movies seem to be pretty limited run these days. Either that or I may need to add a region free player to my life. :P
I bought the 3D version at my local Best Buy yesterday and watched it last night. Great movie and an excellent 3D presentation. Im going to hold off on the 4K for now. The 3D was a lot of fun and I never felt I was missing much detail or whatever. Im sure the 4K with HDR looks great too & is a notch up from the 3D regarding detail/contrast but Im happy with my decision for now. Actually, I might not even bother getting the 4K version at all. Like I said, the 3D looks great and Im sure the standard blu-ray is good too.

Id probably always opt to watch this in 3D though.

Im sure you'll be happy with your French version though. No worries there.

Polk Subwoofer
Sony DH550 AVR
post #29 of 34 Old 09-20-2017, 10:23 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked: 106
I'll be watching it tonight in 3D.
post #30 of 34 Old 09-20-2017, 06:55 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supermans View Post
I'll be watching it tonight in 3D.
Watched it last night for the first time. Thoroughly enjoed the movie itself and the 3D presentation, while not life-changing was excellent overall. Im sold that I bought the right version meaning between 3D and 4K. Detail held up nicely and so did the contrast. Very pleased. At some point I could add a 4K version but Im thinking not. Its a good flick for 3D so Id always watch it that way.

For those that did get the French combo - please report back on how things go. Love to have 100% confidence in the imports for future reference & new titles down the road.

Polk Subwoofer
Sony DH550 AVR
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply 3D Content

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page