What's your 3D content for testing a TV? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 2Likes
  • 2 Post By tomtastic

post #1 of 7 Old 08-31-2017, 02:12 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked: 11
What's your 3D content for testing a TV?

I'm in the home theater market for either the sony 4K projector with a 118" screen, or the 77" LG Oled.
What's some good test movies to bring in and what chapter/scene should I watch?
Most 3D movies are crap, because it's a 2D with conversion. Some do ok I suppose, but what's your favorite?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 09-01-2017, 06:33 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 866 Post(s)
Liked: 306
I would take something that's in full screen 16x9, one of the many IMAX 3D movies like Grand Canyon Adventure, Arabia, Jerusalem all have decent 3D and well-lit image. Also the full screen will give you a better idea of how the entire screen looks. Can you find a place to demo that 77" still?

Some movies that are full screen or 1.85: Planet of the Apes 2 and it was filmed in 3D, Transformers Age of Extinction (some expanded scenes for IMAX) this one is brightly lit and very colorful, Avatar one of the best demo movies and full screen. Titanic, a conversion but properly done and full screen. Yes, full screen if you haven't noticed by now, the best use of all those pixels not 2.35. That should be the standard for 3D.

There's a bunch of others too the David Attenborough titles, Plants has lots of color throughout, Galapagos.

Just my opinion, if I had to choose between the two I would go with the 77" OLED if that's in your budget. Several reasons why, mostly because it will be harder to get a 3D flat screen later. You could always pick up a projector with 3D later at some point. They'll be easier to buy online because they're smaller and cheaper to ship, not the case with a flat screen. There's obvious reasons why the projector would be better like screen size and such but there really isn't anything that can compete with a flat screen in color and brightness. I love my projector and I love the size but it would be nice to have a flat screen too even if the picture isn't as big. Not to mention this is it for 3D flat panels for the foreseeable future. They're still releasing some 3D projectors.
The Mice and Kenbar like this.

This line intentionally left blank.
post #3 of 7 Old 09-01-2017, 07:38 AM - Thread Starter

I can likely demo the sony 675 projector, and I might be able to demo the sony z9 and/or an LG 65". That 77" pretty much dried up quick everywhere. I can buy from East Coast TVs and a few more but I read here they have less than a stellar reputation.
On this forum the OLED is awesome, but I know one major problem in 3D is that the glasses dim the picture and mute the colors a little. OLED too is dim by comparison to LED. The 77" is now about $10-11K.

I have a 65" sony 3d tv. But you're right, I should probably snap up a 77" too, even if I buy a projector now or down the line.

post #4 of 7 Old 09-01-2017, 07:43 AM - Thread Starter

Of the movies you recommended I own avatar. I'll start with that.
I remember seeing Avatar as my first real 3D movie. Avatar was the best movie I ever saw in theater. For a couple hours I was there in this brand new world. I watched it several years later on 2D and thought this movie is kinda boring. 3D is the best for storytelling when you do it right. I'm glad you reminded me.
post #5 of 7 Old 09-02-2017, 04:38 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 505 Post(s)
Liked: 257
Avatar is an excellent choice, but some not me personally say the 3D isn't aggressive enough. Any of the IMAX documentaries like Under the Sea are also top notch. Hugo is a ghosting torture test and very aggressive 3D.

"Smart enough to know better, to old to care" ------ Dedicated Home Theater, Mitsubishi HC7900DW Projector, 110" 16:9 Jamestown screen with variable power masking for CIW 2.50:1 to 16:9, Marantz 7009 with 7.1.4 Atmos with Ohm mains,3 DIY Subs (2 15" (1 ported, 1 sealed and a 12" 4th order bandpass), 1 DIY butt kicker, Custom Built HTPC, 10TB DroboFS NAS
post #6 of 7 Old 09-02-2017, 08:13 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomtastic View Post
Just my opinion, if I had to choose between the two I would go with the 77" OLED if that's in your budget. Several reasons why, mostly because it will be harder to get a 3D flat screen later.
I ordered the 77" G6 oled from walt yesterday for about half the price of full retail. I'm probably still getting the projector too, but I didn't want the last 3d flat panel to get away. Unfortunately I won't be able to test it on the showroom locally. I had to buy it blindly.

I'm still going to demo a projector though, the only condition is that the dealer made me order my own 3D glasses They don't have any. Instead of buying from that sony dealer, he insisted I buy it from Amazon (cheaper AND faster)
post #7 of 7 Old 09-03-2017, 09:12 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 355 Post(s)
Liked: 108
Enchanted Kingdom has all the 3D you need.

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply 3D Content

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page