• 2 Post By 3DBob

post #1 of 27 Old 09-07-2017, 07:10 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 476 Post(s)
Liked: 161
Bye-bye 3D pie

I looked at the local theater section in the newspaper to find where Terminator 2 3D was playing. I only found a few AMC theaters playing it (they apparently have exclusive rights to it). Then I realized that none of the newest other 3D movies were being shown in 3D at any of the theaters. I found one showing of Spider-Man in 3D and one for Planet of the Apes 3D. No mini-Imax 3D either. Several months ago, most theaters were showing more than one, sometimes 3 or more in 3D--well, they are mostly gone, only 2D now. Plus there was no advertising of the Terminator 2 in 3D, none!

I didn't think the demise would come this soon, sad...very sad.
Ruined and old corps like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 Old 09-07-2017, 11:17 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 866 Post(s)
Liked: 306
I was going to see Terminator 2 in 3D when I was up in K.C. over the weekend but never got around to it. Yes, AMC theaters only. From what I've seen the 3D showings are given a much shorter release time in only one theater room and are cycled out for the next release so it's a very limited event now for 3D. Can't wait around weeks after their release.

This line intentionally left blank.
post #3 of 27 Old 09-07-2017, 05:22 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Just checked and nothing 3d around my area. Usually amc theaters have one room showing 3d something. Sad.

post #4 of 27 Old 09-07-2017, 10:18 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked: 307
Yeah, for 3d you phage a short release window. I know one had 3d for two whole weeks, then it was afternoon showings (1pm, 4pm). The evening showings were reserved for the newest 3d movie (7pm, 10pm). That was 3 weeks after the movie opened, at that.

For me it doesn't matter too much - I liked the 1pm showings. Far less crowded. It did mean I had to take time off work though.
post #5 of 27 Old 09-09-2017, 11:00 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 859 Post(s)
Liked: 762
Sadly, it really is the beggining of the end Im afraid. Figures - right about when I get my LG E6 which has arguably the best 3D EVER for home use.

LG OLED65E6P, Samsung PN64H5000
Samsung UBD-8500K, LG BD 570
Polk RTi Towers, STi surrounds
Polk Subwoofer
Sony DH550 AVR
post #6 of 27 Old 09-09-2017, 02:15 PM

Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 71
Well this is strange. I can currently see Spider-man in two Cineplex theaters. One has extra large screens with stadium seating. It is showing Spider-man exclusively in 3D (no 2D option). The other with smaller than usual screens and seating area is showing both 3D and 2D. Spider-man was released July 7 so they probably had more options a month ago as there currently are no VIP and UltraAVX options.

Despicable Me 3 is only showing in 2D only with no VIP and UltraAVX options but that was released back in June 30.

Terminator 2 is MIA.

I wonder if this is just a slow spot for 3D.

I don't usually go to the theater (I get the 3D Blu-ray instead) but I may be tempted by Blade Runner 2049 in 3D this fall.
post #7 of 27 Old 09-09-2017, 02:31 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

My bet is Blade Runner 2049 will be shown mostly in 2D, with a few metro-big city screens showing it in 3D. But if Terminator 2 (which should be off the map with advertising, but isn't) is an indication, it's going to be in very few theaters.

We might be our own demise, as I too have not gone to the movies this year for 3D and have decided to wait for the 3D bluray version. It might be why more US companies are not releasing 3D bluray versions in the US to force more people to the theaters, but I think that ship has sailed and next year will be the end of 3D completely. We should be able to get 3D from foreign sites, though, as it's still very strong in Germany and China. It's time to get a multi-region bluray player, me thinks.
post #8 of 27 Old 09-09-2017, 03:24 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked: 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3DBob View Post
My bet is Blade Runner 2049 will be shown mostly in 2D, with a few metro-big city screens showing it in 3D. But if Terminator 2 (which should be off the map with advertising, but isn't) is an indication, it's going to be in very few theaters.

We might be our own demise, as I too have not gone to the movies this year for 3D and have decided to wait for the 3D bluray version. It might be why more US companies are not releasing 3D bluray versions in the US to force more people to the theaters, but I think that ship has sailed and next year will be the end of 3D completely. We should be able to get 3D from foreign sites, though, as it's still very strong in Germany and China. It's time to get a multi-region bluray player, me thinks.
3d will make its return when avatar 2 is released. The smart tv manufacturer that cuts a deal with James Cameron to exclusively be able to recieve a copy of the 3D version when purchasing that brand tv with the 3d capabilities will reap the benefits.
post #9 of 27 Old 09-09-2017, 05:05 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supermans View Post
3d will make its return when avatar 2 is released. The smart tv manufacturer that cuts a deal with James Cameron to exclusively be able to recieve a copy of the 3D version when purchasing that brand tv with the 3d capabilities will reap the benefits.
I really hope not. That exclusive deal with Panasonic last time probably did more harm than good. Plus, most 3D fans already have some sort of 3D display which would mean they'd have to buy a new display or player that they don't need. It's very likely 3D will be gone from theaters by the time Avatar 2 comes out.

post #10 of 27 Old 09-10-2017, 07:47 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

The release date for Avatar 2 is now 12/18/2020. Three years from now! Reason for the slip is that he is filming all three of the Trilogy at the same time. And according to Cameron, that could slip because he is depending on the release of new glassless 3D tech from Christie Digital. If you've ever seen any of the glassless tech, you know it has very specific eye placement requirements limiting it to a small controlled audience setting. Just not going to be cost efficient for most theaters, so it will probably come to cities in Real 3D, and by that time most theaters will have stopped showing 3D completely as I'm seeing here in the Detroit metro area.
post #11 of 27 Old 09-10-2017, 10:18 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Actually 4 movies, 2-5! He wanted to complete the script on all 4 movies before he started production on 2. I believe they start shooting on the 25th this month with preproduction already underway.

post #12 of 27 Old 09-14-2017, 01:33 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked: 40
We live in a town with multiple movie theaters and looking at all the movies showing today. Only 1 was in 3D and it was only showing at 7:30pm. No other theaters showing 3D.

3D is pretty much near death at this point. Or on life support at best.
post #13 of 27 Old 09-14-2017, 01:44 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

You can see the disease is spreading across the US as we speak. The local AMC theater manager does nothing but bitch about 3D. The dang glasses, the alignment, the constant need to change the bulbs, the general maintenance--we have to realize that these places are not run by video pros, but by average people with little knowledge of how 3D works and how the technology works (yeah, I'm sure Real 3D has a training program they must go through, but imagine your friend, who has no tech background, taking that online training course). I'm not disrespecting them, just sayin' the technology is the problem as it is in most retail industries. I asked a Best Buy sales guy (just for fun) how many pixels in a 4K TV. He said 8 million per square inch--that's why it's so sharp.
post #14 of 27 Old 09-14-2017, 01:50 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I asked a Best Buy sales guy (just for fun) how many pixels in a 4K TV. He said 8 million per square inch--that's why it's so sharp.
lol. Sounds about right, so that's a 4 giga pixel screen right?

post #15 of 27 Old 09-16-2017, 06:39 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

ibada, ibada, That's all Folks.

Well, this happened quicker than I thought it would. I just scanned ALL the theaters in Metro Detroit, and there are a full page full--maybe over 500. And NO 3D at any theater, plus Terminator 2 is gone. All the movies that were 3D last week, and there were only a few, are now 2D.

I'm not sure what this means for future releases like Blade Runner 2049 3D, but I don't have much hope for it. I assume the only way to buy 3D blurays next year might be overseas as 3D is still big there.
post #16 of 27 Old 09-16-2017, 07:32 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Liked: 66
I've just started buying my 3Ders on Amazon. UK and I don't have a region free player. Of course I'm only getting Region Free ones but I am taking a chance on T2. Until it's released, only then we'll know if it's RF or I have to return it.

The problem with Region Free players is none are being made now except Oppo. I was going to buy the RF Samsung K8500, but I felt it wasn't worth the extra $200 they wanted. Which, of course, was before I got heavily into 3D.

...finally retired and spending time in my HT!!!

Equipment consists of: Epson 6040 3D/4K UB Projector(ISFed); 110" 16x9 Dalite HD Progressive Screen; Samsung 3D/4K K8500 Player; Definitive Speakers (Center, Towers, Rears); Earthquake P12 sub; Onkyo 608 A/V Receiver; MX990 Remote; 5 Bello chairs; Coaire Mini-split A/C.
post #17 of 27 Old 09-16-2017, 02:11 PM

Quote:
ibada, ibada, That's all Folks.

Well, this happened quicker than I thought it would. I just scanned ALL the theaters in Metro Detroit, and there are a full page full--maybe over 500. And NO 3D at any theater, plus Terminator 2 is gone. All the movies that were 3D last week, and there were only a few, are now 2D.

I'm not sure what this means for future releases like Blade Runner 2049 3D, but I don't have much hope for it. I assume the only way to buy 3D blurays next year might be overseas as 3D is still big there.
I'm wondering if you may be reading a bit too much into this. Are there any new movies currently playing that could be shown in 3D? Spider-man is still showing in the Detroit area but that has been out for a while and probably has been bumped from the premium showings to the cheap showings. 3D goes with premium.

Try your search again for The Lego Ninjago Movie 3D on Friday, September 22. That's the next 3D movie. Fandango shows 2 of 4 theaters have Digital 3D showings:

EMAGINE ROYAL OAK
200 N. Main St., Royal Oak, MI 48067

CINEMARK SOUTHLAND MALL AND XD
23000 Eureka Road, Taylor, MI 48180
post #18 of 27 Old 09-16-2017, 04:27 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 334 Post(s)
Liked: 247
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supermans View Post
Those kinds of exclusivity deals are what gimped 3D TV right out of the game. The amount of content was low enough, then it got further cannibalized by the short-sighted manufacturers hoarding the few titles available for their specific TVs and causing prices on eBay and other secondary markets to skyrocket.
post #19 of 27 Old 09-17-2017, 12:52 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dew42 View Post
I'm wondering if you may be reading a bit too much into this. Are there any new movies currently playing that could be shown in 3D? Spider-man is still showing in the Detroit area but that has been out for a while and probably has been bumped from the premium showings to the cheap showings. 3D goes with premium.

Try your search again for The Lego Ninjago Movie 3D on Friday, September 22. That's the next 3D movie. Fandango shows 2 of 4 theaters have Digital 3D showings:

EMAGINE ROYAL OAK
200 N. Main St., Royal Oak, MI 48067

CINEMARK SOUTHLAND MALL AND XD
23000 Eureka Road, Taylor, MI 48180
You make a good point, I will do that. Maybe I'm just panicking for now reason . I did see that the latest Planet of Apes movie wasn't in 3D anywhere and some animated movies.
post #20 of 27 Old 09-17-2017, 01:28 PM

"Nine of the 10 highest-grossing films of last year and this year were released in 3D. 3D remains an $8 billion business globally."

"Approximately 20% of moviegoers seek out 3D offerings; 20% avoid 3D. The rest make their decisions based on a wide variety of factors including story, filmmaker and show times."

"... 46% of the domestic opening weekend box office for “Doctor Strange” came from 3D ticket sales — and the format held strong with nearly 40% of the film’s total domestic gross coming from 3D."

"Our internal research shows roughly 80% of all North American moviegoers are open to a 3D experience. We should lean in and embrace them."

http://variety.com/2017/voices/colum...es-1202535879/
post #21 of 27 Old 09-17-2017, 02:09 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

As others have pointed out, there are some 3D showing, but when I think back to a couple of years ago, it seemed every theater had some 3D showing at the same time. Now, not so much, and it gets bleaker by the month. I'm not sure where this research is coming from, but let's hope it's real and not fake news...
post #22 of 27 Old 09-17-2017, 03:37 PM

9 of top 10 movies are 3D for 2016 and 2017:

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/yearly/...ldwide&yr=2016
http://www.boxofficemojo.com/yearly/...ldwide&yr=2017

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:2016_3D_films
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:2017_3D_films

Apparently Stereo-D did a 3D conversion for Fate of the Furious. Deadpool and Logan are the 2D exceptions.

http://www.stereodllc.com/the-fate-of-the-furious/

I'm not going to investigate their claim for Doctor Strange. It sounds reasonable to me and was a big hit in China due to Benedict. The 20% love/hate thing may be an internal survey. I found it interesting as it shows a ratio between the two groups.

There are 69 2016 3D movies and 43 2017 3D movies shown on the Wikipedia links though 2017 may not be up to date yet. Maybe that is why it seems "bleaker" then previous years. There is only one new 3D movie this month. This year could just be an anomaly or it could be the start of a trend. Maybe the studios are not pushing for 3D as hard as the quality really depends on how on-board the director is.
post #23 of 27 Old 09-17-2017, 04:00 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked: 105
Box office in general this summer was bad. That has something to do with the decline. It is going to take Avatar 2 in 3D to get people in the theaters specifically for the 3D experience they remember from the first one.
post #24 of 27 Old 09-17-2017, 11:14 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked: 307
Box office was only bad in the US. A lot of them did really well overseas, including China. A number of productions include a Chinese production company, which could indicate Hollywood is turning their eyes westward and seeking out the Chinese market.

If they keep this up, hopefully it means 3d will stick around since it's really big there. (Glasses mean nothing when 90% already wear glasses)
post #25 of 27 Old 10-05-2017, 08:00 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Ok, I decided to give peace a chance and wait until Blade Runner came out to see who's playing it in 3D. It appears that around Detroit, it's mostly the AMC theaters only. But interesting to note, that those that have IMAX (actually mini-iMAX), are only showing it in 2D for that venue. I also see some theaters showing the Legos movie in 3D, but that's about it. I was really hoping to see it in mini-iMAX as I have seen the Star Trek and Jurassic Park movies, but no...I might just wait for the bluray...
post #26 of 27 Old 10-05-2017, 08:04 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked: 40
This seems like the kind of movie you'd want to see on a big screen at least once, regardless if it's IMAX or not... Unless you have a HUGE and stellar home theater.
post #27 of 27 Old 10-05-2017, 09:25 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordonTV View Post
This seems like the kind of movie you'd want to see on a big screen at least once, regardless if it's IMAX or not... Unless you have a HUGE and stellar home theater.
I probably will go to see it, buy I do have a 160" Dalite Highpower screen that is truly mini-Imax like when sitting 17 feet away. Of course, 3D works best on that screen then the format is 16:9. For Titanic 3D it's absolutely breathtaking as Cameron opened the mask to 16:9 allowing more visual presence. I think Blade Runner is in 2.35:1 format, though.

I found this quote online: "The film is being released by Warner Bros. domestically, and Sony Pictures Releasing in overseas territories. In addition to standard 2D and 3D formats, Blade Runner 2049 is set for release in IMAX theaters. Due to the popularity and preference of IMAX in 2D (as opposed to 3D) among moviegoers in North America, the film will be shown in IMAX theaters in only 2D domestically, but will be screened in 3D formats internationally."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply 3D Content

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page