Toshiba 65" CCFL LCD 65HT2U - $998 0 0%
Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 38 Old 11-17-2011, 07:18 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have a real geek dilemma going. I'm finally upgrading my beloved SXRD KDS-60A2020 this Black friday and I'm having one hell of a time picking a new set.
Here are the main guidelines I'm using:

1. Budget = $1100
2. Bright room = (Sadly) No plasma
3. Best PQ + Size for my dollar ... PQ being most important
4. I watch mainly Sports,VUDU and Bluray... With some gaming
5. I stream through my Bluray player. Internet connectivity means zero in this case.
6. Thickness of the TV and power consumption has absolutely no bearing.. I just want PQ+Size for my dollar.

Dogs in the fight:

Sharp 60" CCFL LCD LC-60E79U = $799.99 at Best Buy

Sharp 60" LED LCD LC-60LE6300U = $999.99 at HH Gregg

Samsung 55" LED LCD UN55D6003FXZA = $999.99 at Best Buy

... Pulling up the rear... Toshiba 65" CCFL LCD 65HT2U = $998 at Wally World

Help a guy out... What's your take?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 38 Old 11-17-2011, 07:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by B_Ballou View Post

Problem solved!
post #3 of 38 Old 11-17-2011, 07:27 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamE55 View Post

Problem solved!

I've just heard nothing but skepticism about this set ever since the ad was leaked. Just have a bad feeling about the PQ... for whatever that's worth.
post #4 of 38 Old 11-17-2011, 07:37 AM
AVS Special Member

If you have the chance or opportunity to view this model in person that should be your deciding factor.

But let's face how many 65" TV's are in that price range right now? Not very many. So this is one hell of a bargain. Just make sure you are covered with the warranty.
post #5 of 38 Old 11-17-2011, 07:46 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamE55 View Post

If you have the chance or opportunity to view this model in person that should be your deciding factor.

But let's face how many 65" TV's are in that price range right now? Not very many. So this is one hell of a bargain. Just make sure you are covered with the warranty.

I've been trying to find the Toshiba to try and put it through its paces but I can't find it anywhere.......

Of the ones I've actually toyed with the 55" Samsung seems to have a slight edge in Contrast/PQ. Problem is that the more vibrant picture is probably from the glossy-ish screen vs. the matte on the Sharps. My living room = Bright.

Is the slightly better PQ/Contrast of the 55" Samsung worth having a 20% smaller screen (vs. 60") + paying $200 more?(60" Sharp CCFL)

Hell if I know.... Hence the poll
post #6 of 38 Old 11-17-2011, 10:29 AM - Thread Starter

The 65" Toshiba is very tempting but I'm so skeptical that is going to be a dumbed down Black Friday only POS.... Any opinions on low end Toshiba CCFL LCD's?
post #7 of 38 Old 11-17-2011, 12:31 PM

I'm picking up the Samsung. I bought an LG 55" LED two weeks ago I finally got dialed in where it's tolerable but I like the Sammy better .

So, if you are in my town, I recommend you get one of the Sharps or Toshiba.

post #8 of 38 Old 11-17-2011, 04:03 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbbransc View Post

I'm picking up the Samsung. I bought an LG 55" LED two weeks ago I finally got dialed in where it's tolerable but I like the Sammy better .

So, if you are in my town, I recommend you get one of the Sharps or Toshiba.

Which LG did you get? So you're not satisfied with it?
post #9 of 38 Old 11-17-2011, 07:00 PM

Quote:

Which LG did you get? So you're not satisfied with it?

I got the 55lv4400 from Costco. It's fair for a low end model. I think the Sammy is more of a mid-range TV.
post #10 of 38 Old 11-17-2011, 07:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 17
You have a poll but haven't looked at the results.
post #11 of 38 Old 11-18-2011, 05:15 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fanaticalism View Post

You have a poll but haven't looked at the results.

What makes you think I haven't looked?
post #12 of 38 Old 11-18-2011, 07:17 AM

I bought the Hisense 55" 120hz 1080p, i mainly will use if for movies, and HHgregg hooked it up to a blu ray player and the picture is awesome for 699 and 24 mos no interest. the manager gave me the black friday price yesterday
post #13 of 38 Old 11-18-2011, 07:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 85
Quote:

I have a real geek dilemma going. I'm finally upgrading my beloved SXRD KDS-60A2020 this Black friday and I'm having one hell of a time picking a new set.
Here are the main guidelines I'm using:

1. Budget = $1100
2. Bright room = (Sadly) No plasma
3. Best PQ + Size for my dollar ... PQ being most important
4. I watch mainly Sports,VUDU and Bluray... With some gaming
5. I stream through my Bluray player. Internet connectivity means zero in this case.
6. Thickness of the TV and power consumption has absolutely no bearing.. I just want PQ+Size for my dollar.

Dogs in the fight:

Sharp 60" CCFL LCD LC-60E79U = $799.99 at Best Buy

Sharp 60" LED LCD LC-60LE6300U = $999.99 at HH Gregg

Samsung 55" LED LCD UN55D6003FXZA = $999.99 at Best Buy

Help a guy out... What's your take?

I didn't vote, but I'd say go for the TV (Sharp) that Steve S selected. He sells TVs for a living at a well respected retailer (formerly the World's Largest Store and I don't mean Walmart... that's why I said formerly) and he certainly knows what he's talking about.
post #14 of 38 Old 11-18-2011, 07:28 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by naughtyca View Post

I bought the Hisense 55" 120hz 1080p, i mainly will use if for movies, and HHgregg hooked it up to a blu ray player and the picture is awesome for 699 and 24 mos no interest. the manager gave me the black friday price yesterday

Nice. I'm strongly considering just going big with the 65" Toshiba from Wamart and see if I can dial it in to my liking.

I was in HH Gregg yesterday tinkering with different models and was really put off by the motion judder on all of sets. There was a College football game on and any thrown pass looked as if it was studdering or disappearing intermittently. Is this just a product of LCD panels in general or is it bc the Directv signal has been spliced 200 ways? Almost every set was doing it.
post #15 of 38 Old 11-18-2011, 07:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 85
Quote:

Nice. I'm strongly considering just going big with the 65" Toshiba from Wamart and see if I can dial it in to my liking.

I was in HH Gregg yesterday tinkering with different models and was really put off by the motion judder on all of sets. There was a College football game on and any thrown pass looked as if it was studdering or disappearing intermittently. Is this just a product of LCD panels in general or is it bc the Directv signal has been spliced 200 way? Almost every set was doing it.

That's because the motion enhancement features were set too high and/or not adjusted properly. I have two Samsung LCDs, both 120hz, and I never see any kind of motion blur on them and have the AMP (Automated Motion Processing) turned off most of the time.

I would be very wary of buying an untested Toshiba TV (or any Toshiba TV for that matter except that I am typing this on a Toshiba notebook computer ). Sharp has made exceptional strides the past two years and have seemingly restored themselves to the prominence they once had.
post #16 of 38 Old 11-18-2011, 07:54 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoilerJim View Post

That's because the motion enhancement features were set too high and/or not adjusted properly. I have two Samsung LCDs, both 120hz, and I never see any kind of motion blur on them and have the AMP (Automated Motion Processing) turned off most of the time.

I would be very wary of buying an untested Toshiba TV (or any Toshiba TV for that matter except that I am typing this on a Toshiba notebook computer ). Sharp has made exceptional strides the past two years and have seemingly restored themselves to the prominence they once had.

Good. I had a feeling it was either the settings on the TV's themselves or the signal. I have two 32" Emerson's from last years Black Friday and they look fine when watching football.

I am very wary of the Toshiba... It's the testosterone that will not let me get past the 65" screen. Plus it's possible it could be a viable set in terms of PQ.

Considering your comments about Sharps, do you think maybe I should consider the 60" CCFL Sharp as more of an option since it's $200 cheaper?

I'm not too proud to say that $200 really matters in my world
post #17 of 38 Old 11-18-2011, 08:06 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
Just curious if you explored Sony's replacement program for the SXRD. If your SXRD is exhibiting any of the optical block related problems (lowered contrast, color blobs or cast to portions of the image), then you can get a pretty good discount on some of the Sony LCDs. One model they offer is the 55EX500, which is last year's CCFL model with a Samsung panel. It gets very good reviews. Through the replacement program, I suspect you could get it for less than $700. Even less if you have replaced your projector bulb in the last 12 months and can provide receipts. If this is something you want to explore, I can PM you details.

If it ain't in HD, it ain't worth watching!
post #18 of 38 Old 11-18-2011, 08:28 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by billbillw View Post

Just curious if you explored Sony's replacement program for the SXRD. If your SXRD is exhibiting any of the optical block related problems (lowered contrast, color blobs or cast to portions of the image), then you can get a pretty good discount on some of the Sony LCDs. One model they offer is the 55EX500, which is last year's CCFL model with a Samsung panel. It gets very good reviews. Through the replacement program, I suspect you could get it for less than $700. Even less if you have replaced your projector bulb in the last 12 months and can provide receipts. If this is something you want to explore, I can PM you details.

I have looked into it and I haven't experienced any issues with the SXRD (bestides a bulb going out). I love that set. Plus, I'm giving the SXRD to my stepson as part of his Christmas.

I've always had great experiences with Sony (36" 720P CRT that weighed at least 240lbs!, My current STR-DH720 Receiver and SXRD), but it seems the newer 55" and up sets are just out of my price range.
post #19 of 38 Old 11-18-2011, 08:43 AM

Liked: 14
I know your counting on "BLACK FRIDAY" deal but you may wish to wait -the best price on TV's will be in January before the super bowl- Always is. I'm just sayin'

Good luck with your hunt
post #20 of 38 Old 11-18-2011, 08:48 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by westdc View Post

I know your counting on "BLACK FRIDAY" deal but you may wish to wait -the best price on TV's will be in January before the super bowl- Always is. I'm just sayin'

Good luck with your hunt

This is probably true. I just want to be able to give my stepson my SXRD for part of his Christmas. MW3 will never be the same for him
post #21 of 38 Old 11-18-2011, 10:05 AM

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 73
Up until now we've not allowed price talk or where-to-buy discussions. AVS is trying something new and now have a sub-forum for price talk etc. See up top and PLEASE read the new rules. Otherwise, this thread violated some of the old rules and would have been deleted or edited. We (mods) knew changes were coming so it is still intact.

In fact, I'm going to move this thread to the new sub forum... Enjoy!

larry

Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. -- Thomas Alva Edison
post #22 of 38 Old 11-18-2011, 10:31 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by PooperScooper View Post

Up until now we've not allowed price talk or where-to-buy discussions. AVS is trying something new and now have a sub-forum for price talk etc. See up top and PLEASE read the new rules. Otherwise, this thread violated some of the old rules and would have been deleted or edited. We (mods) knew changes were coming so it is still intact.

In fact, I'm going to move this thread to the new sub forum... Enjoy!

larry

Apologies for the price talk PooperScooper.

Still have no flippin' clue which set I'm going with. I don't think I can go smaller than 60". Call it immaturity, testosterone or whatever. I just can't bring myself to do it..... Plus, the $999 55" Samsung is a "Best Buy" exclusive which screams stripped down Black Friday only model.

post #23 of 38 Old 11-18-2011, 12:05 PM

Keep in mind that Best Buy has an extended holiday return policy. You can pick up the TV now. If you don't like it or the Super Bowl ads have better prices, you can return it (by JAN 24th).

I'm sure other stores have something similar.
post #24 of 38 Old 11-18-2011, 12:10 PM

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 73
Quote:

Apologies for the price talk PooperScooper.

Still have no flippin' clue which set I'm going with. I don't think I can go smaller than 60". Call it immaturity, testosterone or whatever. I just can't bring myself to do it..... Plus, the $999 55" Samsung is a "Best Buy" exclusive which screams stripped down Black Friday only model.

Your timing was almost perfect. Now there's nothing wrong with posting non-MSRP pricing and where to buy at a discount.

Buying a new TV can be fun and not so fun at the same time. Sometimes too many choices doesn't help things. And, there is no "perfect" TV at any price range. I wouldn't go smaller than 60" unless you sit closer than 8 ft. A lot depends on how close it takes to start seeing the artifacts that are present on all types of flat panels. For plasma it's SDE. I don't know if SDE affects LCDs since I've never payed that close attention to them. But I do know the closer you get past a certain point, they worse they look.

larry

Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. -- Thomas Alva Edison
post #25 of 38 Old 11-18-2011, 12:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 46
Of the sets listed I'd go with either of the Sharps. The 79u has 4 hdmi inputs and ccfl backlighting, the 6300 is led edge lit with 3 hdmi inputs. ccfl has the potential to have more even screen illumination at slightly higher energy consumption.

That 65" Toshiba screams "too good to be true" to me. Nobody's seen one nor is anyone likely to see one before BF--sounds too much like a special BF model to me.

Steve S.
post #26 of 38 Old 11-18-2011, 02:03 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve S View Post

Of the sets listed I'd go with either of the Sharps. The 79u has 4 hdmi inputs and ccfl backlighting, the 6300 is led edge lit with 3 hdmi inputs. ccfl has the potential to have more even screen illumination at slightly higher energy consumption.

That 65" Toshiba screams "too good to be true" to me. Nobody's seen one nor is anyone likely to see one before BF--sounds too much like a special BF model to me.

So considering the $200 price difference, go with the 79U?

... That will pay for the 360+ Kinect I plan on purchasing that day also. My stepson drove my launch day purchased 360 in to the ground via all night Black Ops sessions. Kids....
post #27 of 38 Old 11-18-2011, 07:11 PM

I'm considering the Sharp Aquos LC-60LE6300U.

The only problem is when performing a google search for reviews of this model, not a single review can be found.

The specs for the unit seem pretty nice for the price point.
post #28 of 38 Old 11-19-2011, 10:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 46
The 6300's only been out for a couple of weeks. From the specs it appears to be a 6xx without internet features.

Steve S.
post #29 of 38 Old 11-19-2011, 06:27 PM

I'm leaning toward the 60" $800 at best buy for myself.

The question is: is it worth fighting crowds? Is there a comparable online deal?

post #30 of 38 Old 11-19-2011, 06:49 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by abmorse1 View Post

I'm leaning toward the 60" $800 at best buy for myself.

The question is: is it worth fighting crowds? Is there a comparable online deal?

I was just in Best Buy and honestly was not impressed the the Sharp 79U ($799 on bf) The Samsung probably has a marginally better picture but I'll take the extra 20% for the money with the 6300.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Great Found Deals!

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page