BF shopping tips from the other side of the register - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 11-21-2011, 04:26 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Just a little advice on how to make the dreaded Black Friday TV shopping expedition go a bit smoother, or even eliminate it altogether.

Pittsoccer has listed a nice sample of BF prices. Some of these are available right now at some stores so it might be worthwhile jumping on the phone and calling some local retailers to see if you can get the price now and avoid the crush. The Panny TC-P55ST30, Samsung UN55D7000, and Sharp 70" 632 series led/lcd sets are examples of sets now selling for the BF price. On the other hand do not buy a set at a higher price now expecting to get a price adjustment on BF. Most retailers are suspending pricematching, including price protection for previously purchased sets, for the BF weekend period so you may be denied.

If you're looking for a specific advertised set, bring the ad or online printout with you to the store. Believe it or not most associates don't have the specific prices for every set in the store memorized. Also be aware that store personnel, especially temps, will go by the store's stock number or SKU rather than the mfg. model number so if you can at least write that down things will go a lot faster. Pay attention to disclaimers like "limited to stock on hand" or "while quantities last". Often sets without these disclaimers may be orderable at BF prices for later pickup or delivery even when store stock is out, as long as the facing warehouse still has a supply. To avoid availability frustration it's not a bad idea to have a second or even third choice of model in mind when going to the store.

If you're going to be using a credit card for the purchase, check your limit before coming to the store. If it's a store credit card with 0 balance and hasn't been used for a long time it may have been closed out by the issuer, so call the 800 number on the back of the card to see if the account is still active before making that Friday morning trek. Accounts are cancelled after long periods of non-use because issuers are concerned that the card may have been lost or stolen making the account vulnerable to identity thieves.
New store accounts can be openned quickly at most stores, usually a 10 minute process at the register but on BF itself the system slows and sometimes grinds to a hault. Check to see if your account is still active and if not go in and re-start one before BF.

Some debit cards limit the daily amount chargeable to them, and some banks shut down your checking account if they see too many big checks being written in a single day. Bring both your debit card and the checkbook for the account the card is linked to. I've had checks declined but had the debit card linked to the same account work fine, and vice-versa.

Most major retailers, Sears and BB for sure, are doing no pricematching whatsoever on BF and for several days thereafter.

I've lived thru 5 BFs on "the other side of the register" so far and have found the vast majority of customers to be very patient and understanding of the conditions associated with the unique buying atmosphere on that day. The above is just a little advice on how to make the experience as trouble-free as possible for customers.

Good luck!

Steve S.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-22-2011, 05:44 AM

Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 333
Good advice. Thanks.

larry

Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. -- Thomas Alva Edison
Old 11-24-2011, 12:23 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I will concur on the debit card limit thing. Mine has a $1500.00 limit. I can't remember if it is per transaction or per day.

-- Corner bass traps? Where would I put my K-Horns?