Missed Black Friday Do I wait a year to buy a TV? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 15 Old 12-13-2011, 09:01 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I'm shopping for a TV, and family politics/economics pushed my shopping past Black Friday.

So now I'm seeing all these great prices on TVs I didn't buy three weeks ago.
(But wondering if those strlpped-down models were really a bargain...)

I'm in the market for a 46"+ LCD TV, with an emphasis on picture quality and reliability over bells and whistles. I don't have size restrictions so I can go to a 55 inch, and it'll be in a cabinet, so the slim/style factor isn't a big deal.
Our bright room (probably) precludes a plasma.
There'll be some gaming XBOX 360, the rest FIOS HD with some sports, and ultimately a Blue Ray player.

I'd like to spend less than $1,000, but obviously $800 is even better.

I'd like to get the TV before Christmas, but is there a similar opportunity to save post-Christmas/pre-Super Bowl?

I live outside of NYC, so I have access to Best Buys, Sears, Walmart, Target, and all the rest as physical stores. I'm happy to get one shipped. I'm also willing to buy now and exchange for a better deal at a place like Best Buy if that's possible.

So I'd appreciate any general strategies or specific deals.

Thanks in advance and happy holidays. (Can't wait to watch that greatest of Christmas movies, The Godfather, Part I ...)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 12-13-2011, 11:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 46
Actually the only thing you've really missed out on are those off-brand low quality doorbusters that are ok for secondary sets but not really suitable as main tvs.

I sell tvs for a living and although prices do go up a little the week or two after BF they often have better deals as the 25th approaches, though stocks are likely to get low on some models.

The best prices are to be had in the spring on old models after the new ones are introduced but availability is very patchy so it's best to have first, second, and third choices.

Contrary to popular belief plasmas are suitable for most ambient lighting conditions short of High Noon in Death Valley. They do look dimmer in most stores but most stores are much brighter than most "bright" living rooms.

Steve S.
post #3 of 15 Old 12-13-2011, 06:43 PM - Thread Starter

Steve
Thanks for the reassurance and the advice I gleaned from your other posts.
With help from another AVSer I found a Samsung LN46D630 at Sears for $719 on a "Green Monday(?)" sale. It's a 46-inch, 1080, 120hz LCD set with a full complement of inputs, etc. Pretty much a basic generic television set.

Better still it was in stock at a local store, so I picked up the television in an hour and a half, and I've got it before Christmas.

I was pretty pleased with the picture and the styling of the unit on display, and it's about $150 to $250 less than I thought I'd have to pay.

I haven't unboxed it yet--my kids picked today to misbehave, arrgh. if they keep it up, i may have a nice huge new TV

Thanks again and happy holiday
Allen
post #4 of 15 Old 12-14-2011, 12:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Very good choice! Good basic performance without a lotta potentially troublesome "Smart TV" or 3D stuff at a good price from a reputable mfg.

I've always been of the opinion that the "smart tv" stuff is better done by a separate box (BD player, PS-3, Roku box or similar) than with the tv itself.

Steve S.
post #5 of 15 Old 12-14-2011, 07:15 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks Steve for the reassurance.

I hope to keep this TV for a while--we had the last one, a Mistubishi CRT for like 15 years--and there's something to be said for simplicity.

And while I'm very happy with the price, I think it's important to keep this in perspective. The difference between the TV you want and the one you settle might be $100 or so, and I can spend that in an hour at the grocery store.

I wonder if this business model, with dozens of SKUs and every manufacturer and retailer squeezing every penny in margin, does anyone any good. I'm an audio geek from way back, but I found this pretty confusing and even a little intimidating, when all I wanted was a mid-size TV with a good picture rather than a lot of features.

Computerwise, I'm an Apple guy, and even though I pay a little more for my machines than my PC counterparts, there's something to be said for understanding what you're buying. Apple has like six basic laptop models, "pro" and "semi-pro" level of performance in three different sizes with sensible pricing gaps between them.

Or I could just be happy with my new TV.

One silly question: How many HDMI cables will I need? I'll be hooking up an Xbox 360, a Wii, an HD cable box, and a DVD or Blu Ray player?

TIA and ho ho ho.
post #6 of 15 Old 12-15-2011, 10:57 AM
AVS Special Member

I agree about the model proliferation being confusing. Imho too many models with too little to differentiate between them from each other is part of what almost killed General Motors.

As for HDMI cables, if you're connecting all your sources directly to the set you'll need one for each source device with an HDMI output. In your case that will be the Blu Ray player, HD Cable box, Xbox 360 (unless it's a fairly old model). The Wii doesn't do HD so doesn't have HDMI, but you should purchase the Component Video cables for it and set it to 480p output.

Steve S.
post #7 of 15 Old 12-15-2011, 11:05 AM

Liked: 10
I'm looking at the LG 55LK520 or 47LK520. Seems not to have a lot of the issues plasma owners are having like flotaing blacks, green or pink areas on the screen, and needing lot's of firmware updates to FIX a brand new TV. Some even need something called an "A" board in a few months.

From what I've read, a lot of the "S" name brand LCD/LED TVs in the $1,000 and under prices range also have issues like the Samsung xxD550 and XXD630. Read the threads here on AVS. I'm going with one with the fewest complaints. So far, it's LG for me!

I think there will be sales in early February through May. Then some brands start new models in a few months.
post #8 of 15 Old 12-15-2011, 06:53 PM - Thread Starter

Gen X
I think that threads here and reviews at places like Best Buy can be useful, but you do have to take them with the proverbial grain of salt. The people who have bad experiences tend to squawk the loudest and many of the happy customers are just watching their new TVs.
The Best Buy reviews tended to spotlight particularly buggy TVs or those with a fundamental design flaw (too few inputs, say)
I'm pretty happy with my purchase so far, pending unboxing.
I'm happy to not be worrying about it (much) anymore, and to have it for Christmas without delivery worries.
Fingers crossed that this is a trouble free unit.

Good luck with your purchase.
post #9 of 15 Old 12-15-2011, 08:32 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 10
This is not always golden so take it with a grain of salt but usually Black Friday deals become the norm after the Holidays. Not always but sometimes this can be the case.

Now this year might be a bit different. For black Friday this year we saw some incredible deals that might not be repeated anytime soon. At least on some models but some of the other really good deals out there will become common place. For example we might not see $199 42" Sharp units any time soon but the $799 60" Sharp just might be standard in a few months.

I personally was hoping we would see the absolutely insane deal on the 632 Series 70" Sharp again. Really my next large display will most likely support 3D but I might just change that for what these LCD was selling for the week of Black Friday at Costco. I almost did it but had to think about it for a bit and by the time I got around to it the price went up.
post #10 of 15 Old 12-15-2011, 08:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I missed last year BF and am so glad I didn't have to fight with the crazies, they didn't have the TV that I *really* wanted anyways. Next chance is two weeks b4r the Super Bowl and right after that Feb/Mar that's when the new years' models come out and they will unload the 2010 then. Have a few models in your shopping list and $ u willing to pay, when the moment arrive, BAM!

Solution: FREE. Explanation: I will have to charge$ you.

post #11 of 15 Old 12-16-2011, 07:31 AM - Thread Starter

It's also important to keep the big picture in mind.
If I waited to buy the TV until February, I might have saved $50 or $100 or gotten a slightly zootier model for the same money.
But then it would have been the February day we got a TV.

This year, there'll be a giant new television under the tree, and that's how my kids (and us) will remember this Christmas.
From a practical point of view, they'll have a week to watch it and game it 10 hours a day, and by the time they get back to school, the novelty will have worn off.

I'm also shopping for cell phones. The reality is that that with five lines it's close to $200 a month (not even including the (discounted) price of the phones)
Over the length of a two year contract, that's almost $5,000. (Which is what I kept reminding the rep at AT&T as I looked for a discount.)

You'll pay at least half that for your cable/internet/phone bundle.

So in that context, paying $1000 for a tv makes more sense, and while there's something to be said for getting a great deal, there's also something to be said for getting the unit you want and not driving yourself crazy in the process.
post #12 of 15 Old 12-17-2011, 11:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by avincent52 View Post

It's also important to keep the big picture in mind.

Oh well, I didn't know this was going to be a Dr. Phil thread.

Am kinda sad though that kids remembrance of xmas is more STUFF but I digress.

But I exactly know what u mean, 18 mos ago I bought a house, since then the value has gone down, interests got lower still but I don't regret it, then everything was in place, I had the will, the means and the variables fit in a groove, if I had waited until now, even though the terms$ is now more favorable, I don't know it would happen now.

Enjoy your purchase!

Solution: FREE. Explanation: I will have to charge$ you.

post #13 of 15 Old 12-17-2011, 11:54 AM - Thread Starter

When buying electronics in general and televisions specifically, you're always going to be buying into a declining market. Next year's computer/phone/tablet will be faster/bigger/better than this year's

And next year's TV will be bigger and brighter and thinner and cheaper than what you can buy now. But if you want to join the party rather than stand on the sidelines, you just jump in and buy the best set you can find today and enjoy.

It's a little like that in the real estate market over the past few years, although I doubt it'll stay that way over the long term.

For the record, if Dr. Phil was the only thing on TV, I wouldn't be buying a set at all.
post #14 of 15 Old 12-17-2011, 02:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 28
You can always use the Dr. Phil approach to buying a TV.

Everytime the sales guy gives you a price, just respond "That dog's not going to hunt" until you get the price you want.
post #15 of 15 Old 12-22-2011, 09:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by avincent52 View Post

...I hope to keep this TV for a while--we had the last one, a Mistubishi CRT for like 15 years--...

IMHO, and I'm over a half-century old , have owned several CRTs that lasted a LONG time (i.e. I still have a 1976 Panasonic 19" CRT, fully operational / turned on just to update the settings on my ReplayTV, in the basement) and have been maintaining an Excel Spreadsheet of LCD HDTVs that I'm 'interested' in for ~2 years, the days of a TV running 15+ years are over (i.e. we live in a 'Buy it cheap - throw it out when it breaks' society ). Maybe LED backlights will improve the number, but CCFL backlights, AFAIK from my GOOGLEing, will 'wear out' (~5-7 years depending on usage) before the electronics does .

I used to see a differentiation between CCFL and EEFL backlights (EEFL being the newer, cooler running, and hopefully longer lasting), but now I only see LCD or LED/LCD. Did EEFL die off *OR* is everything now EEFL so they don't have to explicitly state it?

I bought a 2011 Panasonic TC-L32C3 in August and I can feel heat coming off the back, so I'm 'assuming' it's a CCFL . Would someone please enlighten me?

Thanks!

Low Post Count <> Low Knowledge ergo High Post Count <> High Knowledge

ClearToLand's Picks For Best Answers to Common ReplayTV Questions

Remember, it's only TV...
Reply LCD Flat Panel Great Found Deals!

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page