at a traditional brick and mortar 0 0%
Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 23 Old 01-13-2012, 03:21 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I bought a samsung 40" on BF at Best Buy. The picture quality is incredible. The advantages are obvious:

1. picked it up "same day" without waiting for shipping.
2. the TV doesn't have to be handled (again) by careless shipping companies.

The disadvantages are obvious as well:

1. sales tax
2. waiting in line for BF deal that did not materialize (never again).
3. clueless, belligerent, unprofessional sales staff I would pay NOT to deal with.

So, I love the picture quality. But I don't like the fact that I bought at it bestbuy, a retailer I am coming to loathe.

IF I were to return it, what retailer either online or b/m, would you recommend?

I've already tried amazon. I did not appreciate the fact that the tv was damaged upon arrival. Yes, they took it back and made it easy, but I just don't want to deal with the hassle again.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 Old 01-13-2012, 03:35 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by audio/videoman View Post

I bought a samsung 40" on BF at Best Buy. The picture quality is incredible....

IF I were to return it, what retailer either online or b/m, would you recommend?....

If the picture is incredible, why return it? Because you don't like BB?

B&M retailers like BB provide a valuable service. They keep inventory on hand for us to view. They pay for the building and overhead associated with it. They pay for the electricity. They have product on hand for immediate delivery, and a very good return policy if something is wrong with the set. It's not reasonable to expect them to match the price of an online vendor that has none of the costs of a B&M store!

I like being able to see a set in person before I view it. If everyone orders online to save a few bucks or avoid sales tax, we'll not have the chance to see the sets in person and compare them. I'll gladly pay a bit more to enjoy the option of seeing and comparing the sets in person!
post #3 of 23 Old 01-13-2012, 03:47 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Costco...where I bought my 70" Sharp, and most of my other flat panels...
post #4 of 23 Old 01-14-2012, 07:55 AM

Liked: 14
I like BestBuy and this year have purchased (2) Samsung HDTVs and a Lenovo lap top.

In addition to being able to see/touch and compare and convenience. You can also order on-line and pickup at store and if needed, their quick/easy return/exchange policy is reinsuring.

I never do the black friday tease because of limited supplies and often the items are specially manufactured price point product that leave out functionality/features.

I'm fortunate in that I can drive 30 miles and purchase high ticket items in state with no sales tax.

Also consider recent news.......BB disappoints investors with profits off (attributable to competitive pricing and lower margins on sales) and Amazon giving in state pressure and agrees to soon collect sales taxes.

Costco and some other big box stores are excellent as well.
post #5 of 23 Old 01-14-2012, 08:23 AM

I got my LG 5600 from newegg. No sales tax and the shipping was only 2 days. I was shipped via CEVA and then delivered by a guy in a van where the TV was upright and tied down. The box didn't have a dent in it when I got it in the house and looked it over. Would order from them again and I saved $100 on tax.
post #6 of 23 Old 01-14-2012, 11:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Since Best Buy is listed separately, what is considered a traditional brick and mortar???

In this city of 400,000 only Fry's would probably qualify. We do have Sam's and Costco, but that is not a traditional B&M in any sense, since you have to pay membership fees.

My predilection from all those above would be Costco. They easily provide the best service, and I am a member of both Sam's and Costco.

We used to have a Home Theatre Store in a beautiful building with exclusive brands. That one lamentably went away, to be replaced by a hamburger joint from Calif.
post #7 of 23 Old 01-14-2012, 12:21 PM
AVS Special Member

I persoanly love BestBuy and am very greatfull they exist,, there is alot to be said for a B&M where you can go in and see in person products you might be interested in buying,,, if all the B&M's go away then we are kinda screwed, we would have to buy all our TV's online sight unseen.

Since BB will price match online prices I do try and also support BB with my business as well as tring to purchase as much as I can from AVS forum sponsers.

Who care's if the BB blue shirts dont know anything, educate yourself and know about the product you are looking at,,, if you listen to the blue shirts your the dumbass, not them.

Cheers
Davyo
post #8 of 23 Old 01-14-2012, 12:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 102
My only options are Best Buy, Sears, Walmart, Sams Club, and Target. No one's going to ship a tv to AK.
post #9 of 23 Old 01-14-2012, 02:17 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by davyo View Post

i persoanly love bestbuy and am very greatfull they exist,, there is alot to be said for a b&m where you can go in and see in person products you might be interested in buying,,, if all the b&m's go away then we are kinda screwed, we would have to buy all our tv's online sight unseen.

Since bb will price match online prices i do try and also support bb with my business as well as tring to purchase as much as i can from avs forum sponsers.

Who care's if the bb blue shirts dont know anything, educate yourself and know about the product you are looking at,,, if you listen to the blue shirts your the dumbass, not them.

Cheers
davyo

+1000
post #10 of 23 Old 01-15-2012, 05:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:

I bought a samsung 40" on BF at Best Buy. The picture quality is incredible. The advantages are obvious:

1. sales tax
3. clueless, belligerent, unprofessional sales staff I would pay NOT to deal with.

So, I love the picture quality. But I don't like the fact that I bought at it bestbuy, a retailer I am coming to loathe.

IF I were to return it, what retailer either online or b/m, would you recommend?

I've already tried amazon. I did not appreciate the fact that the tv was damaged upon arrival. Yes, they took it back and made it easy, but I just don't want to deal with the hassle again.

You left out "ease of returning" as an advantage.
post #11 of 23 Old 01-15-2012, 05:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 22
I bought my Samsung 46D7000 at HHGregg. They have better prices on TV's than Best Buy.
post #12 of 23 Old 01-15-2012, 06:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike4HDTV View Post

I bought my Samsung 46D7000 at HHGregg. They have better prices on TV's than Best Buy.

Best Buy will price match HHGregg, and Costco (if you are a member). I am swapping out a 70LE632 for a 70LE732, and Best Buy price matched HHGregg. Brought the price down to what I paid for the 632.

I did a lot of shopping online prior to purchasing this tv, and the box is huge. It's pretty cold in this part of the country too, and I would prefer not having to rent a van to go pick it up.

Buying a large screen (60" and above) at BBY - Advantages:

Pretty good selection
Financing for 3 years at 0%
Free delivery (if set is above a certain price)
60 day price match
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Electron...at247800050003

Disadvantages:
Not the best place to evaluate a tv - the lighting is terrible
Have to pay sales tax
Accessories are overpriced

If you have a membership at Costco, you can purchase a Square Trade warranty within 60 days of you television purchase. The set does not have to be purchased from Costco. They have a 90 day return policy on their televisions, but you have to box it up and schlep it back to the store.

HH Gregg charges 69.99 for delivery, and have a 30 day price match guarantee, but might smack you with a 20% restocking fee. But since they are the new kids on the block, they seem more willing to wheel and deal. 2 year financing available.

Amazon is a great place to do research on products. The customer reviews are a good source of data to assist in making a buying decision.

Get the most tv, with the size and features you want, for the least amount of cash out of pocket, and you will be a happy camper.
post #13 of 23 Old 01-15-2012, 07:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:

1. sales tax

If you are an AVS Forum memeber, you do not have to deal with the staff.... Perhaps the Best Buy employees in the electronics section don't want to deal with any know-it-all AVS forum members, who feel the need to quiz them on such a trivial thing as a tv set. (im not saying YOU, I mean in general)

I personally buy my TV's at a Costco, Sams or BJs, where I can inspect the tv's box right on the floor (because they put the entire pallet on the floor) and pick the box that is in the best shape.

Also, the return policies at these places are tough to beat as well.

I would never have a large screen tv shipped....Id rather pay a few more bucks. Who wants to deal with the headache of returing such a large item hrough the mail? Plus, the odds of having a broken screen due to a carrier error is much much higher then through a store like best buy who handles the items with MUCH more care, due to the potential of lost profits or giving the store a bad name.
post #14 of 23 Old 01-15-2012, 09:21 AM

Liked: 16
I am avid about buying electronics in store with great return policies. Best buy has a 30 day return policy on their tvs now and will even come pick it up if your close. I am not sure how easy it is go about this though. I like WalMart and Sam's Club because the return policy is 90 days and the extended warranties are cheaper than HH Gregg and BestBuy. I feel like BestBuy are more critical about returns. If best buy raised their return policy to 90 days I would feel more comfortable about purchasing an item there. But selection of higher end tvs is better at best buy. I know walmart and sams club have not carried the 7000 and 8000 models of samsung tvs. Fortunately or unfortunately I do not have the money to afford those higher end models lol.
post #15 of 23 Old 01-15-2012, 10:00 AM
Advanced Member

A few years ago when it comes to things like TV's I prefer to buy locally even at a higher cost. Many stores won't care or deal with any issues once it leaves the warehouse. Some are better but most are not.

Still buying online is becoming more and more tempting and Amazon is usually pretty safe and they make it super easy if you have a problem. I might try them next time. I would likely pay a bit more at BB for the convenience of buying locally but sadly lately BB has not been priced competitive in the least. We are not talking $50 to a $100 more but sometimes a several hundred to a thousand more then what can be seen online and they seem oblivious for doing year end close out deals.

I think right now the best of both worlds is Costco. You get a 90 day no hassle return policy and often prices are a bit more competitive. Only thing about Costco is they usually don't have a large selection and often don't have the top models. Also inventory can be hit and miss. If you see something you want you better buy it because it could just vanish the next day. You also better have a helping hand and a proper vehicle since Costco does not offer any sort of delivery service.
post #16 of 23 Old 01-15-2012, 10:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 185
Costco. 90 day no haggle return and double the manufacturers warranty.
post #17 of 23 Old 01-15-2012, 10:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 24
my last three hdtv purchases where direct from manufactor
toshiba (friends and family)
sony (caught a great sale on sonystyle)
sony (heavily discounted sxrd replacement)
post #18 of 23 Old 01-15-2012, 10:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 182
The one good thing about BB is the 60 day price drop guarantee. The tv's will take another plunge in price right around super bowl time. Even if you buy now, and they drop the price next month, you will be refunded the difference.

"The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory"
post #19 of 23 Old 01-16-2012, 05:43 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by olyteddy View Post

Costco. 90 day no haggle return and double the manufacturers warranty.

And for $99 you can get a SquareTrade 3 year warranty for TVs over $1,000 for a total of 5 years coverage on most TVs.
post #20 of 23 Old 01-17-2012, 12:18 AM - Thread Starter

Costco would be my first choice if they had the tv I was looking for in particular. Their selection is unfortunately rather limited, however.

I did get a busted set via amazon, which is why I'm researching alternatives. Does anyone have any experience with amazon warehouse deals? They have some great prices: however, their grading of product condition has proven comically inaccurate the few times I've tried it.
post #21 of 23 Old 01-18-2012, 03:44 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for voting in the poll, everyone.

It seems like brick and mortar is the clear choice by a margin of nearly 2 to 1. For stores with both a physical retail location and online shop, the retail location seems to be preferred.
post #22 of 23 Old 01-22-2012, 08:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 88
I prefer brick and mortar stores. But often Fry's, Brandsmart, and HHGregg will have better prices than Best Buy.
post #23 of 23 Old 01-22-2012, 02:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerSC View Post

I prefer brick and mortar stores. But often Fry's, Brandsmart, and HHGregg will have better prices than Best Buy.

Here in Vegas Fry's is most of the time more expensive then Best Buy.

I have had no problem getting BB to price match other store's,,, Amazon and some other online seller's.

As a general rule, I get the lowest price's at BB (and I buy alot of electronics )

Cheers
Davyo
Reply LCD Flat Panel Great Found Deals!

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page