Hey Sharp! What Gives? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 18 Old 01-26-2012, 04:27 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
You are allowing the advertising of the 60" LC60LE6300U at multiple retailers for $999.99 but no one seems to have them.
At first I thought this was a Best Buy scam again, but the issue exists at Sears also and I presume any other retailer that is advertising it.
Best Buy told me it's a discontinued model and Sears told me there backordered.
The tv is on the front page of the weekly best buy ad buts its discontinued and they tell me they cant get anymore?
What gives here?

I'm so 12 years ago. I don't get this new tech.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 01-26-2012, 06:05 PM

if you read the ad a little closer. you will see it says limited to stock in warehouse. its discontinued. what about that dont you understand
post #3 of 18 Old 01-26-2012, 06:11 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Sounds like another person just missed another round of clearance sales.

They do go quick, and they make you want to scream and cry and blame the MFR when you miss them.

Oh wait .....

post #4 of 18 Old 01-26-2012, 06:26 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokemonster View Post

if you read the ad a little closer. you will see it says limited to stock in warehouse. its discontinued. what about that dont you understand

Wow thanks for the attitude.

You see when I see national retailer flyers coming out leading up to the Superbowl me being slow as I am, thinks that inventories would not be a problem. Seems like classic bait and switch tactic to me. This is not a black friday event. Am I wrong to think your warehouse would have inventory? Or maybe one of your warehouses wihin 500 miles? Surely it would as you have it on the front page of the flyer.
Maybe your attitude towards me is correct.
Or not.
Here's part a reply I got from Shar in regards to the same question put to them.

"Dear Willy,
Thank you for contacting Sharp Electronics Corporation.

I do apologize that you are having an issue finding this model. I can tell you that it is not a discontinued unit as it just came out last year in 9/2011."

So I guess you can see where I may be not understand. Or do you?
Thanks for your input.

p.s. I did find a place that still has some. But not local.

post #5 of 18 Old 01-27-2012, 12:34 AM
Advanced Member

U actually believed what the manufacturer told you? Almost all 2011 tvs are being discontinued due to 2012 tvs coming out. This is normal and happens every year. Only a few tvs make it from the previous year. Just cause the tv came out in September 2011 has nothing to do with the tv being discontinued or not. Stock is low or running out and that model was a holiday model. It came out specifically for the holidays. It was not part of their normal line up of tvs. I guess the Sharp person you spoke to didnt know his or her job or products very well.

Also dont forget as you said its a national ad. Stores do sell out and not all stores get all models. Just cause it is in a ad does not mean the models have to available. Most companies do set aside reserves for ads but it could only be a couple per store and if you have a couple thousand stores well stock will go quickly if you don't act fast. Dont forget ppl can buy online faster than they can actually get to the store so that can play a factor as to y some stores sell out. Warehouses cater to alot of stores in a area not just to your local store so when say another 12-24 stores r selling the tv, the tv gets order for that store and if there r no more for other stores, stock is gone.

I can tell you that Sears is not backordered. That is just something they usually tell ppl untill the official word comes down from the corporation on whether the item is discontinued or not. The model won't be coming back unless Sharp decide to make more and from what I understand they aren't. Things can always change so u never know but I wouldnt hold your breath.
post #6 of 18 Old 01-27-2012, 12:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 46
Hard to believe in this age of the interweb but those print ads are finalized months ahead of their effective dates. Availablility can and does change between the time the ad is locked down and the effective date of the advertised sale.

That particular Sharp was a Black Friday special. Dead giveaway is the "out of sequence" model number and the fact that they were introduced outside of the normal model change period, just in time for BF, and were decontented sets with unusually low prices. Samsung did the same thing, releasing leds with only 2 HDMI inputs etc, and these are similarly running out if not long-gone.

In a case like this, wherein multiple retailers are out of stock it would be fair to assume that the mfg. was unable to ship as many sets as were ordered by the stores.

Steve S.
post #7 of 18 Old 01-27-2012, 01:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 28
At around the time of the Superbowl every year TVs are blown out to make room for the next model year that also happens to be in the stores also. I believe it's the biggest time of the year for retailers to move TVs because many people in the market for a new TV (especially a big screen) tend to want the TV for the 'big game' so they can host a party, etc. Most people don't realize that the retailers want to blow out the old TVs to be able to switch sell them to the new models. It works very well. A good fraction of the buyers, once they walk into the store are committed in their minds to buy a TV (even if the TV on sale isn't there). This gives the retailer the chance to show what the new "features" are so that the buyers feel better about paying more.
post #8 of 18 Old 01-27-2012, 01:09 PM

the ad was basically just to get you into the store. once they get you there you will not leave empty handed. sorry the attitude was unintended.
post #9 of 18 Old 01-27-2012, 07:10 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokemonster View Post

the ad was basically just to get you into the store. once they get you there you will not leave empty handed. sorry the attitude was unintended.

It's all good. Thanks and Cheers!

The store lost out on this one actually for now. Because This tv wasnt what I was looking for but the deal seems to good to pass up so ya I am obviuosly a little frustrated with whats going on and I get it, really I do but I guess now I will wait and see what happens this Sunday and go from there and with this lesson learned If I see a killer 48" LED panel for $699 I guess I will be going to the store on Sunday. If not there are a few places still to get this deal on teh Sharp.
And now I found this model which LC60E69U and I see at that price and saying it's new and this will require a little more homework now. And just as quickly as I find it I see there are holes poked that story too.

Hey I apologize to you for being pretty thin skinned on my part. Looking for a new tv for a loft/excersize room or bedroom never used to be like this lol.

Edit" and for some irony theres this. Padump pa. Classic bait and switch in my eye.
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1389030

post #10 of 18 Old 01-27-2012, 08:38 PM
Advanced Member

I see nothing about bait and switch. Models get sold out or discontinued all the time, its that simple. Especially this time of year when a transition on tvs takes place. If you had done your research a little more throughly you would have found out that the tv you saw for $999 was just a holiday tv and they fact that the stores had them just meant they were left over from the holidays and they wanted to clear their inventory of them. This has been happening for years and is nothing new. It also not against the law or is actually anything like that.
post #11 of 18 Old 01-27-2012, 09:33 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by texasrattler View Post

I see nothing about bait and switch. Models get sold out or discontinued all the time, its that simple. Especially this time of year when a transition on tvs takes place. If you had done your research a little more throughly you would have found out that the tv you saw for $999 was just a holiday tv and they fact that the stores had them just meant they were left over from the holidays and they wanted to clear their inventory of them. This has been happening for years and is nothing new. It also not against the law or is actually anything like that.

Sigh. Ok maybe I'm getting old and crotchety or something. I'm not suggesting there is anything illegal about the marketing tactics. They did actually have what they adverstised at one point after the doors opened on Sunday so that isnt the issue. But if they had only one unit in the warehouse I take exception to that. Remember this was on the front page of a national flyer. And yes I know about the fine print but it was on the front page of a national flyer. At least on BF day they advertise in the flyer 10 per store or something like that.
You talk about research and I accept that. Thats kind of what led me into this mess! And remember Sharp says no it is not discontinued. I am not blaming BB or Sears or any other retailer after hearing that from Sharp. They lied.
But on the link one guy found the unit and one guy bought something more expensive. Smells a little bit of bait and switch to me. You see this comment in that link?

"Went to get one of these $999 Sharps at BB but they were sold out.

This particular BB had the LC-60LE632 on sale for $1199 so I picked one of those up instead."

Now you may not agree and thats fine but seems to me like the tactic worked perfectly. The guy walked in, couldn't get what he walked in for, and walked out with something more expensive.

Bait and switch or retailing 101?

I feel like I'm really belaboring the point for no purpose so...nevermind. I'm not trying to be the drama queen or wide receiver diva that it is coming across as. I will move along.

p.s. Andre Reed for the HOF this year! Go BILLS!

End thread.

post #12 of 18 Old 01-27-2012, 10:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 17
Consumers get upset, how do you think the stores/employees feel that they have tell 100's of customers the tv is no longer available, especially with people claiming bait and switch?
post #13 of 18 Old 01-28-2012, 12:35 AM
Advanced Member

Any warehouse gets the product directly from the manufacturer. Its not the warehouses fault that Sharp do not make the tv anymore.
You keep going on about nationals ads. They mean nothing. Im sure it even said limited to warehouse or limited quantities. BF ad said 10 per store due to it being the release of that tv, as that is when it came to stores. Even if it got to a store earlier, most were not even allowed to sell it untill BF. As I said above the flyer probably said limited quantities as that is usually what is said for most holiday/discontinued models after the holidays r over.

As for the other guy trying to buy the tv but couldn't cause they were sold out. Well that means they were sold out and he bought a like model that they DID have in stock. Nothing wrong with that. He made a choice, he wasnt forced into anything. You can go home without a tv. After all its not the end of the world if you go without a tv for a lil while.
post #14 of 18 Old 01-28-2012, 01:29 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by texasrattler View Post

After all its not the end of the world if you go without a tv for a lil while.

I did.

Aye yae yae. Like I said earlier I guess. End thread.

Wash
Rinse
Repeat

lather
rinse
repeat

Some people may get it and some wont. Perhaps its an age thing. I'm 45 and feele like 75 nevermind.
Hey, Get Off My Lawn!

post #15 of 18 Old 01-29-2012, 01:56 PM

I never buy any electronics from ANY brick and mortar store. you will ALWAYS find a better deal on line. not to mention no taxes, and most of the time no shipping charges either. AMAZON, CRUTCHFIELD , VANNS, ONCALL JR ELECTRONICS , ABES OF MAINE. AS LONG AS YOU DONT LIVE IN THE SAME STATE.
post #16 of 18 Old 01-29-2012, 02:06 PM

I think we can agree it's not bait and switch, but it is sleazy advertising(is there any other type? ),even with the asterisk and fine print stating closeout or discontinued, the advertiser knows full well that demand will outstrip supply. It's the American way and that's how it's done: get consumers in the store by any means possible. Its a sales tactic that will never go away because it works.
post #17 of 18 Old 01-30-2012, 07:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by fuddvd View Post

I think we can agree it's not bait and switch, but it is sleazy advertising(is there any other type? ),even with the asterisk and fine print stating closeout or discontinued, the advertiser knows full well that demand will outstrip supply. It's the American way and that's how it's done: get consumers in the store by any means possible. Its a sales tactic that will never go away because it works.

Sleezy advertising? You clearly do not understand how the industry works. The ads are formulated months in advance, as Steve S noted. Blame the manufacturers, not the retailers.
post #18 of 18 Old 01-30-2012, 10:44 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 30
This wasn't a bait and switch. I was able to pick one up, and already returned it, last weekend.

There were like 4-5 in the store when the ad came out. OP was just unlucky.

Current HT setup:

Samsung UN65F6300 65" LCD HDTV, Polk CS20 Center, 2x Polk Monitor 75T Fronts, 2x Polk TSI300 Backs, Polk PSW110 Subwoofer.

Reply LCD Flat Panel Great Found Deals!

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page