GGG

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by socal swagger View Post

should I fork out the extra cash for the extended warranty,,,

If you are a costco member you can buy a 3 year square warranty for $99, you have to buy it within 60 days of your purchase from another store.
post #3 of 21 Old 01-30-2012, 01:54 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 20
iam a costco memeber but got the tv thru sears so how do i go about the warranty is it like sears if it breaks do i call and they come fix or replace. think sears is more the 99.00 dollars
post #4 of 21 Old 01-30-2012, 02:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 46
Sears is considerably more than $99. But they don't cancel the coverage if your set's replaced--it carries over to any replacement set(s), they have their own technicians and service facilities, and they are significantly more liberal in what they allow when/if the set needs replacement.

Steve S.
post #5 of 21 Old 01-31-2012, 12:52 PM
Advanced Member

Sears warranties, why they can cost more than others but are also more in depth. Its a FULL coverage warranty not some extended warranty. ALL parts and labor r covered. You get full coverage from day one, not waiting for manufacturer as they r limited in what they can do. Its a out to your home warranty, if they cannot fix or if parts take to long to get in, they will replace the model with the same or a like model with the same features. So basically you will get the same or better model tv. Your warrnaty is transferable if you sell your tv and if your tv gets replaced the warranty will continue on with your new tv.
post #6 of 21 Old 01-31-2012, 01:11 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 20
man sears it is then more $ but after a near 2000 cost y complain lol.
post #7 of 21 Old 01-31-2012, 02:09 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve S View Post

Sears is considerably more than $99. But they don't cancel the coverage if your set's replaced--it carries over to any replacement set(s), they have their own technicians and service facilities, and they are significantly more liberal in what they allow when/if the set needs replacement.

Sears is also a company not doing so hot, so bankruptcy mught nullify the warranty. I don't know, just something to consider.
post #8 of 21 Old 01-31-2012, 05:02 PM

You can purchase a Squaretrade warranty regardles of where you purchased the tv. I did for my last Sony..and when it broke 2.5 years later and the repair cost was more than the purchase price, I received a check for my full purchase price..no prorating for my 2.5 years of use.

Squaretrade.com
post #9 of 21 Old 01-31-2012, 09:27 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwaidonjin View Post

Sears is also a company not doing so hot, so bankruptcy mught nullify the warranty. I don't know, just something to consider.

OMG you know nothing about Sears or why it closed stores. First its only 120 stores out of like 3000. Only half or less are Sears stores, the rest were Kmart. Also it was about saving money as the stores that closed werent really making the company money. Its smart business to cut stores that dont make you money. It sucks employees will lose their jobs but that happens in business.

So many people either don't do research or post stuff they have no clue about. Sears isnt even close to bankruptcy. They have 2 of the most populars brand in Craftsman and Kenmore and they have a really good online in terms of making money. They will be a BIG retailer for many years to come.
post #10 of 21 Old 02-01-2012, 09:17 AM

I was quoted 159.00 for a 3 year warranty by Squaretrade on this set
post #11 of 21 Old 02-01-2012, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randizzle View Post

I was quoted 159.00 for a 3 year warranty by Squaretrade on this set

Just go to costco.com and search for squaretrade. It's $99 for 3 additional years of coverage for TVs over $1k. Note while their terms and conditions state coverage amount is purchase price of your TV, it's actually a max of $3999. I found out after trying to register my TV that cost more.
post #12 of 21 Old 02-01-2012, 03:26 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by texasrattler View Post

OMG you know nothing about Sears or why it closed stores. First its only 120 stores out of like 3000. Only half or less are Sears stores, the rest were Kmart. Also it was about saving money as the stores that closed werent really making the company money. Its smart business to cut stores that dont make you money. It sucks employees will lose their jobs but that happens in business.

So many people either don't do research or post stuff they have no clue about. Sears isnt even close to bankruptcy. They have 2 of the most populars brand in Craftsman and Kenmore and they have a really good online in terms of making money. They will be a BIG retailer for many years to come.

I never claimed to know anything, OMG. I was just giving a point of view. Sorry Sears Boy.
Not really.
post #13 of 21 Old 02-01-2012, 03:36 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwaidonjin View Post

I never claimed to know anything, OMG. I was just giving a point of view. Sorry Sears Boy.
Not really.

Saying a company is not doing so hot and talking about bankruptcy. Sounds to me like your trying to scare ppl. Which is so untrue about Sears. I like the company, so what. My point was your talking like YOU do know something when you clearly don't. A simple google search and you would have understood what was happening with that company.
post #14 of 21 Old 02-01-2012, 03:39 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Saying a company is not doing so hot and talking about bankruptcy. Sounds to me like your trying to scare ppl. Which is so untrue about Sears. I like the company, so what. My point was your talking like YOU do know something when you clearly don't. A simple google search and you would have understood what was happening with that company.

Bye Bye Sears Boy. I am not going to argue with you.
post #15 of 21 Old 02-01-2012, 04:28 PM
Advanced Member

Could careless. next time do your research before talking about things you dont know.
post #16 of 21 Old 02-02-2012, 10:19 AM

Quote:

Could careless. next time do your research before talking about things you dont know.

So, you do care then, right? If it's possible to care less, than you care some finite amount about this issue.

Kmart was rescued out of bankruptcy in 2003-2004. Then it merged with Sears and Sears Holding Co was formed. Revenues have declined every year since the merger. Shares are trading at the lowest value since 2004. At least one Fortune 500 company has halted lending to SHC, due to worries about potential to repay.

They now have two stores that are competing in a crowded, margin-soft segment. In fact, I'm not sure that SHC is even in the top-10 retailers in the segment anymore. Costco, Sam's Club, and even Amazon have passed them.

Target and WalMart own the segment. Kmart and Sears are among those fighting for table scraps. Doesn't make sense to have two entries in that space. One is likely to go away. To me, Sears has more equity and Kmart has a rep of being cheap crap. However, what I last read was that Kmart was the odds-on favorite to emerge from any consolidation efforts.

In that case, I would expect Kmart to honor any Sears-based committments. Similarly, Kmart would raid the Sears of any brands/goods that did well (such as Craftsman tools). But, who really knows for sure.

But to flatly deny that the Sears brand is in danger of evaporating? Welcome to 2012 ... it's not 1971 anymore. SHC has a good liquidity position, but it's still on a slippery slope.
post #17 of 21 Old 02-02-2012, 08:06 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

SLAMMED!
I guess you should research Sears Boy.
post #18 of 21 Old 02-03-2012, 12:30 AM
Advanced Member

LMAO, its not evaporating or even close. yall make me laugh.
Best Buy closed most if not all of its European stores. Ppl said they same thing then, they r done for. Amazon will now be where everyone goes. Well actually Amazon is where every was and is going but BB is still here. Sears and BB names r strong and it will be awhile IF anything even happens to there companies. BB downfall will come IF they dont straighten out their customer service and quit hiring 16 year old kids who no nothing about electronics. Treating ppl like crap will catch up to them.

As for the could careless part, that was to some poster who was crying out that im a Sears boy like he was 12, which he probably is.
post #19 of 21 Old 02-03-2012, 09:12 AM

Quote:

LMAO, its not evaporating or even close. yall make me laugh. [...] Sears and BB names r strong and it will be awhile IF anything even happens to there companies.

CO blizzard has me bored, so ...

Well, I guess we could argue on the definition of "close." Sears Holding Company is in bad shape. Really bad shape. Take your own advice and google "Sears Bankruptcy." You'll find many articles and financial analyses by reputable sources (Forbes, Businessweek, Bloomberg, etc.) that lay out the issues.

Again, the short summary is that SHC is performing miserably, is barely a top-10 segment player, and has two competing brands that are hurting it. Kmart has an identity that, while not favorable, is a stronger niche than Sears. Kmart is a cheaper than dirt (and we mean "cheap" not "inexpensive") outlet. Again, sort of a depressing characterization, but it's an established identity.

No one really even knows what Sears is anymore. Sears is more middle scale. But, when people want appliances, they're now going to Home Depot, Lowes, and even Best Buy. When they want clothes, they go to Target, Marshalls, Kohls, and Walmart. When they want tools/hardware, it's back to Home Depot and Lowes ... throw in Ace. When they want tires and auto service, they go to Big O, Meineke, Discount Tire, etc. And I haven't even mentioned the online stores. Sears is more lost right now. What does it have? Craftsman, Die Hard, and Kenmore. However, it announced last year that it was looking to license the brands to other stores ... so even less reason to visit an actual Sears store.

SHC is eating credit to prop up the business, execute share buyback, and fund basic operations. It needs to lower prices and update it's stores ... but it simply doesn't have the cash to do either right now.

Again, reading is your friend.

Is Sears going bankrupt? Probably not ... at least not in the traditional sense of liquidating assets and selling off the parts of the brand. However, there are serious concerns here. At least, the next logical step is to reconcile the brands within SHC -- namely, choose one of Kmart and Sears, but not both.

Since you throw in Best Buy as another example of a brand that is too strong to be even close ... read this:
http://www.forbes.com/sites/larrydow...ess-gradually/

Again, BB isn't dying today. But, here are some brands that used to be strong at least 5 years ago and aren't around today:
Schucks/Kragen/Checker auto-parts stores
The Bon Marche, Meier & Frank, Foley's, Hecht's department stores
Good Guys
Circuit City
Egghead Software
Ultimate Electronics
Linens 'n Things
KB Toys

I think I'll stop there. I grew up with most of those brands. I also loved the G.I. Joe's stores in Washington and Oregon. Loved them! They're now gone.

12-18 months before Circuit City died, most people would have said comments similar to the ones you're making about Sears. Aren't we smarter now? If institutions like Chevrolet were a massive controversial government bailout away from going defunct, isn't any company who has missed its numbers for over half a decade at least close to death?

Yet, you're laughing your ass off at the mere prospect that Sears is close to going defunct?

You need to get real. Maybe read some business journals. There are two kinds of companies: those that make the numbers and those that don't. The latter is always on the brink of extinction.
Quote:

As for the could careless part, that was to some poster who was crying out that im a Sears boy like he was 12, which he probably is.

My earlier comment was a very petty jab at your poor choice of words. What you meant was that you "Could not care less." That is, you care so little, that it's impossible to care any less. What you said was actually the opposite. "I could care less" actually means "I care." You care at a finite level such that it is, in fact, possible for you to care less. Thus, you care.
post #20 of 21 Old 02-03-2012, 11:39 PM
Advanced Member

I could careless what info u write but if you feel the need go ahead. Not bothering me none. I know the company well enough. Itll be years if anything really happens. Maybe the company will go away one day, who knows.

As for you trying to correct me on the could careless part, knock your self out. It's the internet, no one really cares.
post #21 of 21 Old 02-03-2012, 11:42 PM
Advanced Member

CC is techincally still alive as their name lives on, online. Systemax control it now. They also control Tigerdirect and CompUSA. If you ever notice prices the same, that would be y.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Great Found Deals!

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page