Can you haggle with BestBuy on price? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 35 Old 02-11-2012, 04:02 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Just wondering if it possible to haggle price with BB. ? Or is the sale price the sale price? I have heard someone on here get a few hundred bucks knocked of sale price and also get a few pairs of 3D glasses thrown in for free. Is it worth trying and what's best way to go about it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 35 Old 02-11-2012, 04:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 187
Quote:
Originally Posted by elykoj View Post

Just wondering if it possible to haggle price with BB. ? Or is the sale price the sale price? I have heard someone on here get a few hundred bucks knocked of sale price and also get a few pairs of 3D glasses thrown in for free. Is it worth trying and what's best way to go about it?

couldn't hurt to try, not sure if it would work though for a brand new set in sealed box

probably best to look for sales, especially with bundle offers
post #3 of 35 Old 02-11-2012, 04:41 PM
Advanced Member

You can when it comes to price matching for sure. I used a 10% discount from logging into hh Greg plus their price, and BB matched it with free delivery on a 70 inch sharp.
post #4 of 35 Old 02-11-2012, 05:51 PM

What about buying in 'bulk' at BB or (or somewhere else)? I have three friends at work that are all interested in the same tv (Samsung UN55D800 although one wants the 65 I think) and I'm looking to buy two (just bought a house). So it seems logical to me that if we're looking to buy five tvs that we'd be able to wheel and deal a little on price or something, no?

Has anyone had success with this at either a B&M store or an online store? Or are we all best served to do our own thing individually?
post #5 of 35 Old 02-11-2012, 05:54 PM

Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by elykoj View Post

Only if you can find someone with half a brain there. Most are snot nosed kids that act like Jeff Spicoli from Fast Times.
post #6 of 35 Old 02-11-2012, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilcandan View Post

What about buying in 'bulk' at BB or (or somewhere else)? I have three friends at work that are all interested in the same tv (Samsung UN55D800 although one wants the 65 I think) and I'm looking to buy two (just bought a house). So it seems logical to me that if we're looking to buy five tvs that we'd be able to wheel and deal a little on price or something, no?

Has anyone had success with this at either a B&M store or an online store? Or are we all best served to do our own thing individually?

You are better in talking to corporate vs. the local store, or speaking directly to the GM or DM, before buying. Rarely will a B&M just give a discount if you walk in and buy off the floor, due to you have to clear this stuff ahead of time, so they have the stock available when you go in. We are talking more than ten items of the same.
post #7 of 35 Old 03-27-2012, 04:06 PM

The policy for the stores are not to do any haggling. If you somehow get a discount it generally is because you are buying a ridiculous amount of stuff and its a pricematch situation. General policy is to do no disocunts.
post #8 of 35 Old 03-27-2012, 04:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 86
It's at the discretion of the manager and really depends on how well the store is doing that day, budget-wise. I can tell you that if you're looking for an additional discount on 2011 clearance products it probably isn't going to happen, since they are already near/below dealer cost. That is unless it's a valid price match. It doesn't make sense to sell, let's say ~$5,000 worth of merchandise to make $100 or be underwater by $100 or more.

Going forward, if you're looking for asking for any discounts on pretty much any 2012 Sony/Samsung products, you can pretty much forget it. BB is reminding employees and manager every week to NOT discount any UPP/SURE-protected products, reiterating that doing so could result in penalties and revocation of product. Discounting is strictly prohibited unless the product is open-box. To remind employees not to do this, they are even printing "UMRP Product" in bold on price tags of applicable models.

ht Panasonic TC-P60ZT60, Monitor Audio: Silver RX6, RX Centre, Radius 90HD; Martinlogan Dynamo 700, Marantz SR5006, PS3, Oppo BDP-103D
2ch Marantz PM8004, Sony BDP-S1000ES, JVC T-X3 tuner, Monitor Audio Silver RX1, REL T3, Apple TV, Peachtree Audio DAC•iT
lr Panasonic 50ST60, Sony BDP-S5100
post #9 of 35 Old 03-27-2012, 06:51 PM

Any good links on the new "UMRP" stuff regarding TVs. Couldn't find much using google and UMRP or UPP/SURE. I saw something on the news about it how everything will be fixed with no sale prices.. sounds like the customer is getting screwed here.
post #10 of 35 Old 03-28-2012, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 00firebird View Post

Any good links on the new "UMRP" stuff regarding TVs. Couldn't find much using google and UMRP or UPP/SURE. I saw something on the news about it how everything will be fixed with no sale prices.. sounds like the customer is getting screwed here.

It depends on how the price lock is occurring. If the daily price is being lowered all year rather than randomly at various intervals (like JCP is doing) it can benefit the customer as they aren't waiting around for a "sale" (which is never really a sale) to occur. If prices are being locked to something that's essentially the current everyday price, then it doesn't work out for the customer and the solution is to stop purchasing products. Retail is nothing but a cat and mouse game and it always will be. A good deal is never a good deal and no one is getting ripped off if they willingly decide to pay for it. It's all about perception and, perception is pretty much always skewed.
post #11 of 35 Old 03-31-2012, 07:56 AM

Can haggle extremely with open box. I walked out of bestbuy with lc-80632u for 3200.00
post #12 of 35 Old 03-31-2012, 08:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
This is the last day of the month, the stores are on a big revenue push. I did it last night you can too.
post #13 of 35 Old 04-03-2012, 08:15 AM

I used to work at bb. You definitely can haggle. You probably should be buying the geeksquad service contract if you plan to. (remember you can return it later

And open box items are something they have a hard time getting rid of, so yes on that too.

If you buy a lot of things at once, they'll be more inclined to keep your sale and give you a discount
post #14 of 35 Old 04-06-2012, 06:19 PM
Advanced Member

Get the general manager.

I was walking out of the store today with my family and the manager asked me if I "found what I was looking for." I told him I had not, and he said - "what are you looking for? I'll make you a deal."
post #15 of 35 Old 04-06-2012, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deArgila View Post

Get the general manager.

I was walking out of the store today with my family and the manager asked me if I "found what I was looking for." I told him I had not, and he said - "what are you looking for? I'll make you a deal."

That is because they are desperate, and know that the days are numbered for the stores. Right now BB is talking 50 stores, Next year it will be more, and a whole lot of managers and employees out of jobs.

The only thing keeping most afloat, is the scamming with the so called GeekSquad "Computer Experts" service, and mobile phone sales. Otherwise, they have lost sales on CD's and DVD's/BD's, due to everyone is either purchasing online for streaming or saving on their mobile device or computer, or going to just renting DVD's and BD's vs. purchasing, due to the economy. Even movie theaters are losing out, due to the economy, and their over inflated prices.
post #16 of 35 Old 04-08-2012, 09:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregzoll View Post

That is because they are desperate, and know that the days are numbered for the stores. Right now BB is talking 50 stores, Next year it will be more, and a whole lot of managers and employees out of jobs.

The only thing keeping most afloat, is the scamming with the so called GeekSquad "Computer Experts" service, and mobile phone sales. Otherwise, they have lost sales on CD's and DVD's/BD's, due to everyone is either purchasing online for streaming or saving on their mobile device or computer, or going to just renting DVD's and BD's vs. purchasing, due to the economy. Even movie theaters are losing out, due to the economy, and their over inflated prices.

Optical media is not a large source of profit for Best Buy; there's practically no margin on CDs or BDs. Trust me, they are not hurting from a lack of CD and DVD sales. In fact, Best Buy refers to it as a "dying category" and would rather re-allocate the floor space used for it to something else.

ht Panasonic TC-P60ZT60, Monitor Audio: Silver RX6, RX Centre, Radius 90HD; Martinlogan Dynamo 700, Marantz SR5006, PS3, Oppo BDP-103D
2ch Marantz PM8004, Sony BDP-S1000ES, JVC T-X3 tuner, Monitor Audio Silver RX1, REL T3, Apple TV, Peachtree Audio DAC•iT
post #17 of 35 Old 04-08-2012, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatuglyguy View Post

Optical media is not a large source of profit for Best Buy; there's practically no margin on CDs or BDs. Trust me, they are not hurting from a lack of CD and DVD sales. In fact, Best Buy refers to it as a "dying category" and would rather re-allocate the floor space used for it to something else.

They already are. Walk into any BB and you can tell that they are stringing out fixtures to fill floor space, just like Wal-mart and other retailers are doing. Brick & Morter stores are having a hard time making it in this economy and you cn tell when you walk into them.
post #18 of 35 Old 05-22-2012, 01:03 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by deArgila View Post

Get the general manager.

Just an update on this - finally closed the deal today with the same manager on a Sharp 80" 844 for $4333 out-the-door price (tax included).
post #19 of 35 Old 05-23-2012, 06:33 AM
RSN

I've been able to talk BB down to their cost for two plasmas - initially the Sammy PND8000 and then was successful again when I decided to switch to the Panny 65VT30 after a couple bad Sammy buzzers.

In my case, I was able to use the leverage of a combination of online pricing and the new line of plasmas arriving within a month to convince them to negotiate. I was also able to confirm they were offering me them at cost due to a relative that is a manager at a BB in another part of the country. Before you ask why I wouldn't use him as a hook-up for a discount, let me just say I don't feel comfortable putting friends and relatives in that position when it could impact their employment, so I never ask.
post #20 of 35 Old 05-28-2012, 04:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregzoll View Post

Only if you can find someone with half a brain there. Most are snot nosed kids that act like Jeff Spicoli from Fast Times.

You have figured it out 100 percent on bb! They try to be helpful but poo what attitudes. HH Gregg is probably the worst on hard core sa
les. At least the one by me.
post #21 of 35 Old 07-20-2012, 06:33 AM

Liked: 37
BB is hurting they will deal if you show them you are serious my friend is going to buy a 844u in NOV we been in 3 BB and got cards everytime and told them online prices right now is 4300 and was told by 3 different stores we wiill beat that when your ready in Nov give me a call So i think as mentioned above depends how the store is doing a 4k sale is a good thing etc
post #22 of 35 Old 09-24-2012, 10:15 PM

just had a good experience with best buy today.

purchased a panasonic P55GT50 plasma for $1599, which was $25 less than amazon's $1624. $1624 was the cheapest i could find it, so i was happy with that, and on his own, the sales guy went even lower to $1599.

also, they had an open box samsung UN46EH6000 for $475, which i told them i'd take, and they again knocked $25 off without me asking to $449.

so, definitely some haggle room.
post #23 of 35 Old 10-01-2012, 04:43 PM

A Lot of the Price Matching @ BB has to do with how professionally you present yourself. I bought a LG 55LM7600 and they offered an initial price match to amazon @ 1458. Long story short, but 9 days later I had them price match aveloi.com. I bought my LG 55LM7600 for $892.80!biggrin.gif:D;)

biggrin.gif:D:D
post #24 of 35 Old 10-01-2012, 06:15 PM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 37
I've been able to negotiate a lower prices at BB. Just ask the sales associate. They usually go ask the Mgr. or they go get the Mgr to talk with you.

"We can complain because rose bushes have thorns or rejoice because thorn bushes have roses". - Abraham Lincoln
post #25 of 35 Old 11-01-2012, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lizzardking View Post

A Lot of the Price Matching @ BB has to do with how professionally you present yourself. I bought a LG 55LM7600 and they offered an initial price match to amazon @ 1458. Long story short, but 9 days later I had them price match aveloi.com. I bought my LG 55LM7600 for $892.80!biggrin.gif:D;)

Can you elaborate on your long story? I'm about to try this with BB. Thanks

VIZIO E601i-A3
AVR: Denon 3312CI
Front L/R: 2 Polk M60's
Center: Polk CS2
Surround L/R: Premier Acoustic PA-6s
Sub: PA-150 Subwoofer
post #26 of 35 Old 11-01-2012, 01:39 PM

Quote:

I just tried this @ my local BB, it did not work, they looked them up and said they are a scam and that they will only price match Amazon, on top of that only Amazon themselves not 3rd parties through Amazon.

VIZIO E601i-A3
AVR: Denon 3312CI
Front L/R: 2 Polk M60's
Center: Polk CS2
Surround L/R: Premier Acoustic PA-6s
Sub: PA-150 Subwoofer
post #27 of 35 Old 11-01-2012, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clanmjc View Post

I just tried this @ my local BB, it did not work, they looked them up and said they are a scam and that they will only price match Amazon, on top of that only Amazon themselves not 3rd parties through Amazon.

I know a blu ray player is a different animal altogether, but yesterday I went down to BB with an amazon checkout printed out to pricematch. The bb girl pointed out the product wasn't sold by amazon but a third party vender. She went to her manager anyway after I prodded. She came back at a couple dollars higher. I told her I'd just wait unless he would come on down. She said if it was her she would do the same thing. So she went back to the manager for me and this time knocked the price down to $2 under the price match including my taxes. Last week I did a similar thing for some speakers and he undersold the tiger direct price by $8 for me. But then again, on both counts we are only talking about $40 or $50, not $1000.
post #28 of 35 Old 11-07-2012, 04:11 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 15
Is there a list of the 20 internet sellers that are included in Best Buy's price match policy?

Thanks.
post #29 of 35 Old 11-09-2012, 03:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Wow, all I can say is you either must be very charming, or the Best Buy you were dealing with was either very desperate or very stupid. That website clearly isn't legitimate and I wouldn't expect any sane retailer to match such a poorly put-together site.

post #30 of 35 Old 04-12-2013, 01:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 590
I got them to decrease price on a brand new unopened Toshiba HDTV (about $700) by $60. The clerk called the manager , who said OK. I think the sort answer is "Yes, but not on everything and not all the time". No reason not to try. The worst thing that can happen they will say no.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Great Found Deals!

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page