Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 56 Old 10-28-2012, 08:22 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Right got the set.

Overall I am happy with it.
The Black levels are better than what I thought they'd be, actually better than my previous panel (Sony kdl40w2000)
The colours and contrast are great.
3D is fantastic.
In game mode there is no lag that I can detect at all.
Motion is nice and smooth, and there is no need to use interpolation (which doesn't really work in 3d anyway)

The cons are, some backlight bleeding in the corners, only really noticeable in really dark scenes or in black bars in movies. not overly concerned about it though, as it is to be expected with edgelit panels, especially of this size.
It seems to have gotten less severe in the few days I have had it.

The other issue results in a bit of a trade off...
In "game mode" there is noticeable vertical banding if there is a light background or solid colour and the camera pans.
Again, this is noticeable to me, dunno if it would bother everyone.
Seems to be a result of the backlighting and 60hz mode.
The fix for this is to switch to another mode, I use "cinema", as it has the best look when tweaked slightly.

The tradeoff is that all other modes apart from game mode induce some lag. Not a crazy amount but definitely noticeable and not good enough for gaming.
So when watching movies/tv shows etc. I switch to cinema and then when on the desktop or when gaming I use game mode.
The banding isn't as problematic in gaming, 'cause when you are playing you tend not to notice it.
As I said it is quite faint anyway, and only visible with certain shade backgrounds while panning, and just a result of the backlight system from what I can gather.
I think the refresh is limited to 60hz in game mode, but in cinema the backlight scans at 360hz or something like that , thus solving the banding.

Another thing I noticed was that frame interpolation creates a nasty judder in most 3d stuff.
When I first got the panel I started off by trying avatar 3d bluray and it was awful. Juddering all over the place.
Finally figured out it was the interpolation, which is "on" by default on all but "game mode".
Motion is perfectly smooth though so you will never need to use interpolation.

Finally I had to reduce the green level in white balance to -8 to make everything look good as the natural balance of the set is too far in the green.
This is just done by eye, but to me looks correct.

The reason I went for this panel was it is my main pc monitor, so a plasma was out of the question, also I wanted passive 3d due to wanting no crosstalk, no eyestrain from active shutter glasses and also not being limited to 1080p@30fps when gaming
I think i made the right choice here, and until the 4k OLED passive sets come out and drop in price to be affordable, I think this is a great set to fill the gap in the meantime.

I hope this has been helpful to anyone that is considering this tv.

Cheers,

Mark.

p.s-

Everyone else that has come to check out the tv is seeing far more POP than me in 3D.
I see it occasionally but not to the degree that others see it. They are ducking to avoid things but sadly not I frown.gif

I had an eye test a few years back and was told I was on the verge of needing glasses, so I didn't bother getting them.
The Doctor said I could manage without if I wanted but having a pair for tv wouldn't hurt, so I might go and have my eyes reassessed and try the mild corrective lenses she recommended to see if this helps with pop.
I do see some but just not to the degree that everyone else is seeing it..

Stuck on avatar for some mates tonight and the scene after the attack on home tree when all the ash is in the air, they could see it right in front of their eyes but the effect was not as pronounced for me.
Hopefully some specs might solve this for me.
I can see the depth just fine though, and it is amazing smile.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 56 Old 11-14-2012, 07:18 AM

Right, some further developments..

This is the banding I was talking about.
This is in game mode just viewing a still shot in fullscreen mode in windows photo viewer.

Is this a fault with the screen?

http://i210.photobucket.com/albums/bb311/markschilling/banding.jpg

I told the guy I bought it from the issues I was having and he got on to panasonic but they won't acknowledge any thing I reported as a fault, so my only option is to get my money back , less €180 for restocking fee and order form amazon this time.

Do you think I should send it back and try another?

I also notice a lot of ghosting when gaming in 3D vision when I turn depth beyond 15%.

Is there another make you guys would recommend that is 55", passive, NO GHOSTING in 3D, and not prone to light bleed or banding?

Cheers,

Mark.
post #33 of 56 Old 11-15-2012, 09:21 AM

Right , sent the retailer the photos of the banding and he passed it onto panasonic and they acknowledged it as a fault so they took it away today and I will be refunded.
Stuck using a 19" monitor now, as I already sold my 40" Bravia frown.gif

Anyway, back to the drawing board.
Between the overly glossy screen, backlight uniformity issues and light bleed in the corners, banding and a hopeless amount of xtalk while 3d gamin, the ET5 is not the set for me.

Considering a projector, but as it is my main screen I might have to take a mortgage out to pay for bulbs biggrin.gif

Dunno really, seems there is no PERFECT solution at the moment for the things I need it to do , so compromises are necessary.
post #34 of 56 Old 11-19-2012, 06:24 PM

Liked: 12
As mentioned in another post, the Panasonic TCL55ET5 is apparently expected to be on sale for $899 at BestBuy for Black Friday.
post #35 of 56 Old 11-20-2012, 06:25 AM

Showing at $1,899 at frys.com now - ugh. Hoping to get in on the BF deal at BBY. Unless there's a better set for football, Netflix, and gaming for ~$1000-1200?
post #36 of 56 Old 11-22-2012, 12:48 AM

Liked: 14
FYI, Amazon's lightning deal for this TV starts on Thanksgiving Day at 9:30 PM pacific time.

9MxON.png
post #37 of 56 Old 11-22-2012, 07:30 AM

post #38 of 56 Old 11-22-2012, 09:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 117
post #39 of 56 Old 11-22-2012, 11:07 AM

BestBuy has it on-sale NOW for $899.
There is a discussion post on Amazon that explains why no Price Match for Black Friday sales.
But the poster here above says lightning deal tonite on Amazon!!!
To put the BB $899 price in perspective, this is consistent with prior low price at Frye's back in August.
Also Amazon had a similar deal in August price was approx. $1100 but you got 2 TVs with a $200 small HDTV thrown in.
So I am thinking $900 bucks is the available low price of this TV for those waiting for price dips.

Dang it now I can't decide between this and ST50/GT50.
post #40 of 56 Old 11-22-2012, 11:37 AM

Now OOS on best buy........
post #41 of 56 Old 11-22-2012, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermolicious84 View Post

FYI, Amazon's lightning deal for this TV starts on Thanksgiving Day at 9:30 PM pacific time.
9MxON.png

How do you find out about upcoming Amazon lightning deals before they happen?
post #42 of 56 Old 11-22-2012, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDTBill View Post

How do you find out about upcoming Amazon lightning deals before they happen?

Go to Amazon, click on the Black Friday deals banner. You'll see the current lightning deals, but you can select "upcoming" and see what will be up later in the day. So far every day this week, the lightning deals for each day are posted at midnight Pacific time.
post #43 of 56 Old 11-22-2012, 09:33 PM

Wow. Any success on Amazon? I wasn't going to buy one but wanted to see how quickly they went, and clearly my internet isn't fast enough. On my screen it went from "Available in 00h 00m 00s" to "Waitlist full" instantly. Damn.
post #44 of 56 Old 11-22-2012, 09:40 PM

Quote:

Wow. Any success on Amazon? I wasn't going to buy one but wanted to see how quickly they went, and clearly my internet isn't fast enough. On my screen it went from "Available in 00h 00m 00s" to "Waitlist full" instantly. Damn.

Same thing on mine. Crazy.
post #45 of 56 Old 11-22-2012, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmello View Post

Same thing on mine. Crazy.

Yeah same here... I stayed up for that??!!!
But I am talking myself into 55ST50 or 50ST50 plasma.
I luv the ET5 passive 3D concept and the 55et5 is a good value at $900.
post #46 of 56 Old 11-22-2012, 10:51 PM

Quote:

Yeah same here... I stayed up for that??!!!
But I am talking myself into 55ST50 or 50ST50 plasma.
I luv the ET5 passive 3D concept and the 55et5 is a good value at $900.

My first choice was the 55ET5, but I also changed my mind to the ST50. Ordered the 50" this Tuesday and can't wait to get it this upcoming Monday! I'm still a bit scared of IR (I play a lot of games) but the better picture quality really won me over.
post #47 of 56 Old 11-23-2012, 04:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 164
Hermo, I have had an 50" ST50 for a while now that I use to play 90% xbox and 10% tv. I have no IR. I am so happy with it that I just bought a 60" ST50 to put in the living room. The response time is instant on game mode. Couldn't ask for a better gaming tv!
post #48 of 56 Old 11-23-2012, 05:55 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 26
OOS on best buy........

A great list of the best tv deals online. Updated daily. Nice bargains.
post #49 of 56 Old 11-23-2012, 11:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked: 549
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcusarilliuS View Post

Actually just noticed the one you linked to is the TC-L55ET5 and mine is the TX-L55ET5B, are they the same panel, just one is European and one is US?

I'll defer instantly to the [tons of] heavy hitters frequenting this site, but AFAICT, typically they are extremely similar (if you believe reviewers). I stumbled across *cough* another av forum site which was euro only and found it interesting. Also, remember the panel lottery almost certainly applies on both sides of the Atlantic river. But Euro-specs often are confusing to me as well: things seem to be in multiples of 50Hz (not 60). Probably because of the local power standard.

Good luck. Since this is a 55ET5 thread, I will say something about that particular ET5 over here. I absolutely will never believe the business of their IPS implementation being 178° viewing angle. The ones I've seen in stores (55") have their image luminescence dramatically vanish at 45° each side! Even if the color is technically intact, I find that image completely unacceptable and my neighbor's old Bravia completely smoked it. In fact, many (by no means all) of lesser known, "cheap" manufacturers were better. Do this test in a store: Walk next to the TV's and look at a slight angle at the TV's in front of you. You'll find the ones that just don't do what they claim to for off-angle viewing.

I was horribly disappointed by it, which sucks because I keep seeing it sub-$900 over here today.

Well Vinnie97, one of the kindest and most helpful and respected members here, got one of these. I wonder how much longer before I get such a message...
You have been banned for the following reason: No reason was specified.
Date the ban will be lifted: Never
post #50 of 56 Old 11-23-2012, 11:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Go to Amazon, click on the Black Friday deals banner. You'll see the current lightning deals, but you can select "upcoming" and see what will be up later in the day. So far every day this week, the lightning deals for each day are posted at midnight Pacific time.
Yes, but I've yet to see them announce the upcoming price. Which only makes sense from their perspective I suppose.

Well Vinnie97, one of the kindest and most helpful and respected members here, got one of these. I wonder how much longer before I get such a message...
post #51 of 56 Old 11-23-2012, 01:48 PM
Advanced Member

I went to BB last night about 12:30am, got the last one. It had been opened but everything looked good. Just set it up an hour ago and it looks great. Since it was open, I have to go back today and get $100 credited back to me...so it'll be $799. Have until 1/24 to return for any reason with no stocking fee.

JET
post #52 of 56 Old 11-23-2012, 02:52 PM

re: IPS- I have a 32" Panasonic LCD with IPS Alpha panel that seems just fabulous for off-angle (to the sides).
I agree the 55et5 seems a little less fabulous for wide angle viewing, but not bad for LED.

In the end I just finally decided to go for plasma 55ST50 on Amazon.
post #53 of 56 Old 11-23-2012, 03:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

re: IPS- I have a 32" Panasonic LCD with IPS Alpha panel that seems just fabulous for off-angle (to the sides).
I agree the 55et5 seems a little less fabulous for wide angle viewing, but not bad for LED.
In the end I just finally decided to go for plasma 55ST50 on Amazon.

Do smaller sets do better for off-angle viewing than their bigger counterparts?

post #54 of 56 Old 11-23-2012, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgm1024 View Post

Do smaller sets do better for off-angle viewing than their bigger counterparts?

Keep in mind this is 55et5 price thread, there is technical discussion thread for Panasonic 55et5.

But if you look at 55ET5 on Amazon you will see several different IPS panel types on other sets (eg; WT50): IPS Clear Panel Pro, IPS Clear Panel etc. If you go back to last year (my set TCL32X30) you will see IPS Alpha LED/LCD, IPS Alpha LCD, and just plain IPS. I have no idea what these different IPS panel types mean except sounds like they are different for LED vs. LCD, and Pro/Alpha sounds like upgrade

I can say the 2011 IPS Alpha LCD panel seems very good for wide angles, but you do need to be looking straight at the set in the up/down perspective. For the 2012 55ET5 you are talking a Clear Panel LED (not "Pro") which, who knows just guessing here, may be needed for the passive 3D. The upper end models DT and WT have the IPS Clear Panel Pro but have the Active 3D.

Reportedly both Panasonic and LG are using IPS panels for their Passive 3D sets. This is good I think.
But at some point the IPS panel choice for enabling passive 3D possibly may not allow using the very best IPS panel? Just dunno.
But when the 55ET5 was not IPS Alpha like my LCD set, I was wondering what gives.
post #55 of 56 Old 11-23-2012, 05:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Keep in mind this is 55et5 price thread, there is technical discussion thread for Panasonic 55et5.
But if you look at 55ET5 on Amazon you will see several different IPS panel types on other sets (eg; WT50): IPS Clear Panel Pro, IPS Clear Panel etc. If you go back to last year (my set TCL32X30) you will see IPS Alpha LED/LCD, IPS Alpha LCD, and just plain IPS. I have no idea what these different IPS panel types mean except sounds like they are different for LED vs. LCD, and Pro/Alpha sounds like upgrade
I can say the 2011 IPS Alpha LCD panel seems very good for wide angles, but you do need to be looking straight at the set in the up/down perspective. For the 2012 55ET5 you are talking a Clear Panel LED (not "Pro") which, who knows just guessing here, may be needed for the passive 3D. The upper end models DT and WT have the IPS Clear Panel Pro but have the Active 3D.
Reportedly both Panasonic and LG are using IPS panels for their Passive 3D sets. This is good I think.
But at some point the IPS panel choice for enabling passive 3D possibly may not allow using the very best IPS panel? Just dunno.
But when the 55ET5 was not IPS Alpha like my LCD set, I was wondering what gives.

Oh, I was extensively teethed into research re: panasonics notions of IPS for a while now. I found directly conflicting information. Some claim that alpha is the bottom of the heap. The "pro" thing they tack on seems to correlate to alpha (from a European site). So no, I don't know "What gives" either. Further, there is no reason for in-plane switching of /any/ kind to exhibit what I've seen a few times already. The Sony's stomp them readily. I was drawn to investigating this when I read a review stating the same----so I checked a few out, and he was right. What's on paper as IPS, at least for the ET5's that I saw, were terrible in real life.

post #56 of 56 Old 11-25-2012, 09:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 117
I got one in the Amazon Lightning Deal for $899 - $50 gift card for opening an Amazon Visa + 12 mo. free financing for opening an Amazon Store Card and paying for the TV with it so $849 with 12-mo financing. Not bad.

It comes on Friday. I am pretty excited about it. I have a 2007 50" Panasonic plasma that's still going strong. This is replacing a 2yr old LG plasma that has a black line across it. It's nice the mount is already there on the wall and everything is wired and ready to go.

Reply LCD Flat Panel Great Found Deals!

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page