Sharp AQUOS LC-60LE600U - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 30 Old 08-26-2012, 06:57 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I see this thing on sale today at Best Buy for $1200, they're claiming it as "NEW!". I would have sworn that Best Buy had a model exactly like this one, one step down from the LC-60LE640U (basically without the Smart TV features) that actually had some reviews posted a few weeks back ...

Sharp has so many of these darn 60" LED's now that I can't keep track. I don't see much activity on the budget Sharps here at AVS forums; is the edge-lighting and motion artifacting really that poor on these cheaper 60" 120hz LED's?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 Old 08-27-2012, 01:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 95
Our Sharp rep told me that it was an LE640 minus the Internet features and an HDMI. Sharp usually releases big, cheap,de-contented LCDs around drive times (like football season...) or holidays in order to get their stuff into a lower price bracket. The LE600 is indeed a new model. You might be thinking of the model they made for super bowl time earlier this year...I believe that was the 60LE6300U, and it was based on the 2011 LE632.

ht Panasonic 60" ZT60, Monitor Audio: Silver RX6, RX Centre, Radius 90HD; Martinlogan Dynamo 700, Marantz SR5006, PS3, Oppo BDP-103D
2ch Sony KDL-32W650A, Sony BDP-S1000ES, Marantz PM8004, JVC T-X3 tuner, Monitor Audio Silver RX1, REL T3, Apple TV, Peachtree Audio DAC•iT, Sennheiser HD598
lr Panasonic 50" ST60, Sony BDP-S5100, Apple TV
pc Energy CB-5, Audioengine D1, FiiO A1
post #3 of 30 Old 08-28-2012, 06:19 AM

Liked: 10
I just bought this tv this past weekend. The picture quality is decent. The menu system is greatly chopped down from the 640u and the remote is super cheap. This tv isnt very customizable but gets away with some simple options.

After purchasing this set from bestbuy, I am ultimately returning it. My previous plasma died LG 60p750z, so this is my interim set while I search for the next best option.

Spend the extra $150 on amazon for the 640u or pony up for something better. This set is just "cheap." HD signals from uverse do not look overly great as well.
post #4 of 30 Old 09-01-2012, 08:31 AM

I bought this TV on Monday, returned last night. Died after about an hour of use (dead lines of pixels on the screen). Here are my impressions:

* Sound is really bad; worse than expected from a thin edge-lit model
* Picture is bad; lots of artifacting, disappointing color quality for LED.
* Bad features - some are to be expected, but no optical audio pass-through from HDMI? Dramatically cut down audio and video menu options - Why?
* Sketchy reliability, though I could have just got a lemon.

I'd recommend staying away from this model. Spend a bit more on something nicer with a few more features and better track record.
post #5 of 30 Old 09-01-2012, 12:57 PM

The above post says the tv is the same as the 640 except no internet or usb features..which are useless anyway if you have a blu ray player.
so the picture quality couldn't be any less..its' all about how you have the settings right? i am considering this tv as an upgrade over my 46 inch sony v5100 from 2009.
I'm assuming it's an upgrade even though i'm a big fan of Sony...I don't want a 3-D tv. and they don't make 60 inch anymore for around $1500.
post #6 of 30 Old 09-01-2012, 01:05 PM

I think I'd rather have the Sony 640 EX? 55" and sacrifice 5 inches for a better tv right?
post #7 of 30 Old 09-03-2012, 05:05 AM

Does it have the HDMI in for the surround sound receiver? i haven't found a manual for it yet...you'd think sharp would have it on their site
post #8 of 30 Old 09-06-2012, 06:57 PM

but no optical audio pass-through from HDMI?

Does this mean a surround sound plugged in through optical will not work?

I just put the tv on the wall and am not getting sound from my Bose system... Please let me know if anyone else is having any issues like this.
post #9 of 30 Old 09-07-2012, 12:32 PM
tac

Quote:
Originally Posted by gus9904 View Post

but no optical audio pass-through from HDMI?
Does this mean a surround sound plugged in through optical will not work?
I just put the tv on the wall and am not getting sound from my Bose system... Please let me know if anyone else is having any issues like this.
I have this TV and noticed the optical out isn't working unless I go into the Setup menu and change the PC Audio Select option to HDMI1 and back to PC IN. I have to do this each time I switch to HDMI1, turn the TV off and back on, or unplug the HDMI cable and plug it back in. However, this workaround is only viable on HDMI1, because the PC Audio Select option is grayed out on the other inputs.

I spent 3 hours on the phone with Sharp technical support today and I think it is a software issue. The last representative I spoke with is taking the issue to the on-site technicians to look into it further to see if it warrants a service call or if it is a software bug.

I think it is a software issue where the PC Audio Select setting is not being initialized properly, which would explain why it works after I toggle the option back and forth.

I am considering exchanging for the 640 model even though I don't care about the smart features.

UPDATE: Sharp called me back and said the only "solution" is to route the HDMI through my surround sound system before my TV. I explained to the representative that this is not a solution, and promptly exchanged the TV for a LC-60LE640U. I just finished setting it up and it's well worth the difference in price. It does not have the optical out issue, and the built-in speakers are not great but much better than the 600. I don't care about the smart features, but I'm glad I upgraded. Don't waste your time with the LC-60LE600U!
post #10 of 30 Old 09-07-2012, 12:35 PM
tac

Quote:
Originally Posted by knightrdrx View Post

Does it have the HDMI in for the surround sound receiver? i haven't found a manual for it yet...you'd think sharp would have it on their site
Here's a link to the manual. Let me know if it doesn't work without being logged in, in which case I'll attach the PDF file.

There is no audio input other than the 3.5mm jack for PC IN or HDMI1 (to support DVI-HDMI cable).
post #11 of 30 Old 09-11-2012, 06:46 AM

I bought this TV 9/2/12 at the big blue on sale and been somewhat disappointed. I know I bought the bargain line as I didn't wifi/3d/apps because I just use my Xbox and Dune for that kind of stuff. Immediately getting it mounted to my stand I loved the brightness/pop that LED brings vs ccfl after adjusting the back light, color temp and etc. That was about where good things ended.

First, when the black screen of switching inputs appeared I almost fell out of my chair at how bad the black uniformity was. The TV has like 2-3 forearm long light beams showing. Looks like someone put some glow sticks inside of it. It's not the typical edge light leak, but just cloudiness. I also was stunned at the limited options menu. I went in to the big blue again and flipped the inputs on their 640U, which the sales guy actually got mad at me for doing, and saw some of the same cloudiness but not as bad. Maybe because it is just too bright in the store, but appears mine is not an isolated issue. Maybe I'm wrong and I just saw two bad units.

Second, since the big blue only keeps the 640u on display not the 600u, I assumed it was same thing minus the apps/WiFi stuff. I was DEAD wrong. The 640U had tons of color adjusts that were simply missing on my 600U set at home. I can adjust options such as color, sharpness, brightness, back light and color temp (warm cool etc) and that is about it except maybe a gamma setting iirc. The 640U had tons more adjustments in that boat and seems like I'm missing even more, but don't have side by side comparison.

Third, universal remote support. I know this is dependent on the maker of the remote, but it ruins my setup. I have a harmony one remote and I was able to get some functionality of the TV working when updating the remote via Logitech software. It misses a few critical things though. It will not power on or off the TV. Also it won't switch to TV/ant input. It does switch to PC and the HDMI inputs as well as menu settings can be navigated with the harmony, but that's it. I'm hoping more support will come along for the 600U or maybe sharp isn't providing the info to Logitech I'm not sure. Regardless it is making this TV a no go for me.

Thinking about exchanging it for a Panasonic Plasma, possibly a 60" ST50. Not big on plasmas, but I'm shocked at how bad the edge lit LED's look to me. Not going to drop 3k to get a full array one either.

**TL;DR**
Pros: Bright, good contrast, looks sleek, nice bezel and logo illumination, and color seems much richer than my 3-4yr old Sony LCD.
Cons: Black uniformity/back light cloudiness among worst I've seen(due to edge lit?), Too new for support with Harmony One remote (not really a flaw of the TV), and severe lack of menu options.
post #12 of 30 Old 09-16-2012, 10:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 29
I bought this as a patio set and for that purpose it's fine.

Kaboom.
post #13 of 30 Old 10-22-2012, 06:42 AM

* Bad features - some are to be expected, but no optical audio pass-through from HDMI? Dramatically cut down audio and video menu options - Why?

Do you know if the 640 has audio pass-through? I am getting the same thing as you did... Got it out of the box and had mixed emotions about it. The menu (or lack thereof) is definately a problem for me, and the way the optical out seems to only work if coaxed through the sub-standard menu is about to make me take it back...

any suggestions?

Thank you
Ian
post #14 of 30 Old 10-22-2012, 06:51 AM

Does the optical out on the 640 work on all HDMI inputs? Or will I have to same issue of switching through the menu like I have to do on the 600?
post #15 of 30 Old 01-10-2013, 09:52 AM

I got this TV in November. Unfortunately i can't comment on the questions here regarding sound and audio pass threw and stuff like that. (no experience)

Has anyone got a universal remote to power the TV on? Like mentioned in an earlier post, I can't seem to get my universal remote to power the tv on/off. Everything else works good except power on/off.

Has anyone done the firmware update, any details on what gets updated on that? Last I checked i think there was a firmware update posted on late November, which i'm assuming my tv has an older firmware since i bought it in November.

One last thing, has anyone plugged a computer into the VGA and noticed that the output of the computer is displayed about 30 pixels horizontally to the right. I can go into the Menu options on the TV and move the Horizontal Position to the left, then it looks great, but unfortunately as soon as i change inputs the TV forgets the position adjustment. I'm curious if this is fixed with the firmware.

Sorry for all the questions. Anyone wishing to get the TV, i really like it. It definitely lacks the bells and whistles (apps, wifi, multiple color options) but I wasn't interested in those. I just wanted a bigger display and that's what i got. My only complaint is that if you look at the screen from off center, from say the side 30 degrees, the colors get really messed up. This could be common on all LCDs, I don't know enough about that, but I find it annoying as i walk around and watch TV, if i'm not sitting in the center and watching the color bugs me. From the center (90 degrees) it looks great!
post #16 of 30 Old 01-14-2013, 06:28 AM

just returned my 60" 600u and got the 640.
Sound was very bad, What was worse was the dark scenes. Even after 2 calls to Sharp Aquos could not get anywhere near decent pictures. happy so far with the 640, spent the extra $200
post #17 of 30 Old 09-28-2013, 11:53 AM

Just picked up the 70LE600U for under a grand on a big blue price match. Gotta say I love it. Onkyo does the HDMI switching so I didn't care about ports.All media fed through 7.1 so I don't care about the speakers. HTPC w/discreet graphics handles all apps and video files with ease. Matte screen is critical as I have a 35' wall of windows in the great room. Contrast pops. Colors are accurate. This thing is HUGE. Seeing things I never noticed before: Annoucer's bad tie knot, what really goes on in the huddle, etc.

I try not to over analyze. Coming from a Samsung 630, which I loved, this is Nirvana.

post #18 of 30 Old 11-15-2013, 07:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tac View Post

I have this TV and noticed the optical out isn't working unless I go into the Setup menu and change the PC Audio Select option to HDMI1 and back to PC IN. I have to do this each time I switch to HDMI1, turn the TV off and back on, or unplug the HDMI cable and plug it back in. However, this workaround is only viable on HDMI1, because the PC Audio Select option is grayed out on the other inputs.

I spent 3 hours on the phone with Sharp technical support today and I think it is a software issue. The last representative I spoke with is taking the issue to the on-site technicians to look into it further to see if it warrants a service call or if it is a software bug.

I think it is a software issue where the PC Audio Select setting is not being initialized properly, which would explain why it works after I toggle the option back and forth.

I am considering exchanging for the 640 model even though I don't care about the smart features.

UPDATE: Sharp called me back and said the only "solution" is to route the HDMI through my surround sound system before my TV. I explained to the representative that this is not a solution, and promptly exchanged the TV for a LC-60LE640U. I just finished setting it up and it's well worth the difference in price. It does not have the optical out issue, and the built-in speakers are not great but much better than the 600. I don't care about the smart features, but I'm glad I upgraded. Don't waste your time with the LC-60LE600U!

Is there any way someone can explain this to me in English? I bought this TV last year and just changed my system with a move and am trying to use a Samsung e-450 sound bar. How can I make this thing work with the optical out? It is so frustrating. I called Sharp and they gave me some BS excuse that the people who own the HDMI patent wont allow it because they want you to go to the movie theatres. I almost reached through the phone and punched her. 

post #19 of 30 Old 12-03-2013, 06:01 PM

I just got this TV 3 weeks ago.  I noticed the AUDIO issue too. Was ticked off and its such a hassle .
Every power up, HDMI change etc, I would have to go into the MENU/OPTION/  and toggle the   PC IN/HDMI IN   setting to get my Optical OUT AUDIO working.

WARNING:
DO NOT UPDATE TO THE NEW FIRMWARE.  :(

Tonight I decided to do the Firmware Update on this AQUOS LC-60LE600U  with hopes that my audio issues will be fixed.

WRONG...  Now I have  NO Digital Optical OUTput,   and  worse,  the  trick to  Toggle   (PC IN/HDMI IN)   No longer works!!

So now I am **** out of luck and NO LONGER can use  OPTICAL OUT for any of my Dish Network Satellite TV Viewing.

I called SHARP AQUOS  Tech Support   , firt  Rep  sucked ,  had nothing but stupid responses like , use  RCA Audio OUT. 
Or  just plug your OPTICAL OUT from your Dish Network HopperDVR  Directly to my A/V Home Theatre Receiver.
I may have to do that afterall!!!!!!!  But this simply Bypasses the PROBLEM and doesnt resolve my TV Optical Out Problem.

Then I called , talked to a Very nice guy named Travis.   He  explained it.

I hope some of you can explain it to be better, but here is what he said.

HDMI has some kind of Digital Content Protection, LLC provides HDCP (which was developed by Intel) for HDMI.

apparently this is the JIST of this he said.  Exoplaining some issue where  Powers That Be, (BIG MOVIE CORP)  or such

want to make it so Digital Audio cant pass from HDMI to OPTICAL  as easy???????
I dont get it.   So it was never supposed to .......   BUT..  The  (PC AUDIO IN/HDMI IN)  Toggle trick  made it work.

Turns  out the  NEWER Firmware Fixed it so the Toggle Trick WONT WORK.

I cant imagine this is going on.   How many Millons of TV Viewers experience this?   There has to be more to it than this.

My HOPE.....  is  to find the OLD  Default Firmware for this TV,  cause  even though a Hassle to TOGGLE on the AUDIO, better than NO AUDIO NOW !   ARGH!!!

Please, if anyone can email me  ANY info or firnware files for our AQUOS LC-60LE600U  I would be SO MUCH HAPPIER.  Email davidvoy@gmail.com

Hope this helps everyone!

Dave in Iowa

post #20 of 30 Old 12-03-2013, 06:06 PM

I posted a LONGER update but needs MOD approval. I put in my email address.

WARNING:

DONT update your AQUOS LC-60LE600U to the NEWER Firmware.  It will STOP the

Menu Trick   where you have to toggle the  (PC AUDIO IN / HDMI IN)  Setting so you will

NO Longer get Audio Out from the Optical when watching TV. 

I AM SO UPSET! 

Sharp said  they were forced to,  some  HDMI  HDCP   Copyright for Digital Audio nonsense.

Please tell me this is for real?  Or what!

Dave

post #21 of 30 Old 12-03-2013, 06:14 PM

MORE INFO:

This is a customer Review I found from WalMart Website. they explain sorta what I was told too.

Do Not Buy-Terrible Surround Sound Compatibility

11/25/2012

Th15guy
1 out of 5

I will be returning this tv because it has really crumby audio capabilities:

If you intend to use 6.1 surround sound this is not the TV for you. The Price is right for this size TV, however for some reason the digital audio is finicky and does not work with all the inputs. We could only get the optical Audio to work with HDMI port 1 and even then it would stop working if you changed inputs and only start working again if we reset the audio in the tv menu. I called Sharp and they were great customer service wise but they explained that for some legal reason they had to change their programming for anti pirating purpose or something and that certain audio sources wont work with the digital audio. The only option was to use the analog audio output. So the only way to get true surround sound with this tv is to couple it with a surround system that you can channel all your inputs through. I am returning this tv and buying a 60 inch vizio with built in WIFI and HD surround capability for the same price on the Wal-Mart website. Don't buy this unless you want to invest money in an external surround sound controller.

2 out of 5

post #22 of 30 Old 12-03-2013, 06:50 PM

UPDATE: I was forced to bypass my TV Audio by Directing my Optical Audio Out from my Dish Network Hopper DVR straight to my Home A/V Surround Receivers Optical IN. This SUCKS, id rather have my TV's Optical Out pump into my A/V Receiver, but this TV SUCKS now regarding this. NO LONGER WORKS AT ALL with the new updated Firmware. Since I have Optical Going straight from my DVR to my A/V Receiver, now the people on TV lips DONT 100% sync with my DANG Audio. The TV has no Lip/Audio Sync adustment either . What a DRAG! I hate this Sharp AUQUOS

UPDATE:

My Setup=   Dish Network Hopper DVR (HDMI)--------(HDMI) Google TV (Optical OUT)------------(Optical IN)  A/V Receiber

I fixed the Lip Sync by using my Google TV's Optical Out, made sense.  No more sync issues.

post #23 of 30 Old 12-03-2013, 07:33 PM

MORE UPDATES:

Gets worse.  I tried plugging in my  ChromeCast HDMI Dongle Device. Like into HDMI Port 3 of the TV

and i streamed a YouTube Video, but , NO Dang Audio coming out of Optical , So thats odd too. 

It basically looks like   The NICE Optical OUT of the Sharp Aquos 60LE6E600U is pretty much NON WORKING

for any kind of Digital Output.  Surely Chromecast, Dish Network DVR's, Google TV Set Top Boxes.

So can anyone explain why Sharp Disabled the OPTICAL OUT??

New Firmware update does.

post #24 of 30 Old 12-03-2013, 07:39 PM

FIRMWARE UPDATE:

I found   3   Versions of Firmware...  THANKS GOOGLE!!!
Versions  1.15, 1.18 & 1.19

Downgraded to Firmware 1.15 and My Audio is back.   I have to Toggle the (PC IN/HDMI IN) in options EVERY DAY!  Sucks, but works again.

NEWER Firmwares Below DISABLE The Audio Toggle Input Trick..

I installed the  Version 1.19 and this version STOPS the Toggle Menu option where  (PC IN/HDMI IN)  - NO Audio
DONT update to 1.19

I installed the  Version  1.18 and this version STOPS the Toggle Menu option where  (PC IN/HDMI IN)  - No Audio
DONT update to 1.19

post #25 of 30 Old 12-03-2013, 08:07 PM

ANOTHER NOTE:

This TV ha 3 HDMI inputs.  but only  HDMI 1  has that  option for  AUDIO  (PC IN/HDMI IN)
and the other 2 HDMI inputs  seem to NEVER been made to pass AUDIO through.

I wish i knew what I do now, or I would have never bought this TV.

Its Nice , picture and size are amazing to me, a major upgrade for me to go from a 32"  to a 60"

but the Audio issues SUCK bad!

post #26 of 30 Old 12-04-2013, 07:49 AM

Thanks David, this is all great info. I own this TV too, and you have such great technical information here, it's really valuable. I don't have a lot of experience with this, so forgive my naivety, but do other TVs handle this audio thing better? My understanding was that in order to get surround sound system, one would always need to go:
Code:
Device (xbox, bluray, etc) -> (hdmi) -> Audio Receiver -> (hdmi) -> TV  (Speakers being connected to Audio Receiver )

Are you saying with other TVs (or version 1.5 of Firmware on this TV), one could do this:
Code:
Device (xbox, bluray, etc.) -> (hdmi) -> TV -> Surround Sound System (speakers attached)

?

Thanks!
post #27 of 30 Old 12-04-2013, 11:27 AM

How its supposed to be is basically this.

If a tv has  like , 3  HDMI IN's  and 1  Optical out.

in most cases  all 3 of the HDMI audio would pump through the optical out..

in our case , i think the TV was never designed to allow all 3 to pass audio,

only the HDMI 1 , only cause it has a PC-IN relationship of some sort, and the PC IN/HDMI IN option for audio, when toggled basically lets audio pass through.   SHARP disables this in newer Firmwares.

So, in cases where we have extra devices,  PS4,  XBOX, OUYA, DVD/Blueray, or whatnot.

these  devices , if plugged into the HDMI 2 or 3 ports on our TV, will need to have dedicated Audio , connected

to some  Audio Source. 

Sucks.   i know.

in essence, if our TV and 3 HDMI ports passed audio, we would need just 1  OItical out to the Audio Reciever

and all 3 Devices plugges in the the 3  HDMI's would  be great.

Hope this makes sense.

I

post #28 of 30 Old 12-04-2013, 05:33 PM

can you send me the link where you found firmware version 1.5.  Thanks

post #29 of 30 Old 12-05-2013, 01:54 AM

Sure, i had a typo i corrected in my firmware versions entry.    The  versions  were   1.15,  1.18  1.19

Here is  the   1.15  Version

http://drivers.softpedia.com/get/TV-HDTV-Projectors/Sharp/SHARP-LC-60LE600U-Slim-TV-Firmware-115.shtml

post #30 of 30 Old 12-06-2013, 01:53 PM

Thanks for the great info, but can anyone say if *any* firmware version lets the tv remember that I hate "stretch" mode?  I seems to revert to that every few channel changes.

Reply LCD Flat Panel Great Found Deals!

Tags
Sharp Lc60le600u Led Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page