Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 116 Old 12-04-2012, 12:52 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuitsBoy View Post

Hey guys, I was reading a thread on slickdeals and someone stated that this TV wont do 1080p past 24 Hz. Can anyone verify that this is indeed the case? Seems crazy that a modern TV cant do 1080p at 30 or even 60 Hz.

Where did you hear that? using this TV as my monitor it shows 1080p, 60hz, and it looks to be just that to my eyes.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 116 Old 12-04-2012, 03:05 PM

An SD member was complaining that the TV would not connect to his media player at 1080p at anything other than 24hz. 30hz and 60hz resulted in a black screen, while it worked fine on his old TV. He went so far as to contact Vizio support who confirmed that the TV would only do 1080p at 24Hz, and to do any faster refresh, he needed to use 1080i. My guess is that there was some disconnect and the rep may have been referring to the true motion feature or whatever its called. Just the same, I wanted to verify on AVS.

I have the TV from the black friday special, but mine arrived damaged, so i have not yet powered up the set. Im waiting for wally world to receive more inventory so I can exchange it.
post #93 of 116 Old 12-04-2012, 04:55 PM

Liked: 12
eyeballing this guy for another deal!
post #94 of 116 Old 12-11-2012, 08:15 PM

Liked: 11
^^^ me too - looking at Costco still just under1k - wonder if it will drop

SCHEX
post #95 of 116 Old 12-12-2012, 10:36 PM

Liked: 14
Moved to Owners thread......
post #96 of 116 Old 12-12-2012, 10:46 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by wader2k View Post

We bought one of these from Amazon Prime and I have to say I love it for the most part.
Only had for 1 day now.
My wife said she did notice the lipsync lag today with a news station after it had been on a couple of hours. Changing channels cured it for awhile. I can live with this for now, but I would hope this is fixable via firmware or something. What is the latest on this?
The real downer is that we have a dead pixel right in the upper middle of the screen. Shows up and a dark spot right in the middle of a newscasters forehead. Any chance this will go away? Are there utilities that might possibly fix it? It is very visible with bright light backgrounds from my normal viewing distance.
I am not sure I can live with this and it makes me wish I had bought local.
Anyone know how it works with Amazon returns? I understand there is a pretty good policy with Amazon, but how much hassle is it? Do they pick it up or is it all up to me to get it shipped back?
I would prefer to exchange for another of the same model as I do really like this TV otherwise.

Amazon is great, they come pick it up and ship you a new one or refund, your choice. I'm convinced the sync issue is related to how the set interacts with the cable box or other input. Hopefully, it can be handled in a future update.

LR: Vizio E701i-A3, Vizio VSB207 sound bar, Sony BD390 BR, Roku 3.

BR: Vizio E601i-A3, Sharp (disc.) sound bar, Sony BD390 BR, Roku 3
post #97 of 116 Old 12-13-2012, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardCarver View Post

Amazon is great, they come pick it up and ship you a new one or refund, your choice. I'm convinced the sync issue is related to how the set interacts with the cable box or other input. Hopefully, it can be handled in a future update.

Thanks for the input....I had moved my question to the owners thread.

I probably will go for an exchange. I wonder if they will bring a new one out when they come to pick up the old one or if I have to wait until they get it back for the ship the replacement.

Either way, this dark spot in the middle of the screen is too obnoxious to ignore....it would always bother me.
post #98 of 116 Old 01-05-2013, 01:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 15
does this tv require a separate wifi dongle to get wifi? sometimes tvs state they have built in wifi but you still need to buy a separate piece to make it work.
post #99 of 116 Old 01-05-2013, 01:46 PM

no it finds your wifi no problem - it picks up mine really well

SCHEX
post #100 of 116 Old 01-07-2013, 02:37 PM

Hey all, I am new to this forum. I just bought a Vizio 55" set and the input lag when I play Black Ops 2 is impossible to deal with even in game mode. I was wondering how the input lag was on this model. Any help will do.
post #101 of 116 Old 01-07-2013, 03:14 PM

here are some pix of my set up - replaced a 42" plasma-
I had to make a custom stand in order to fit the unit and have a spot for my center channel speaker.
So far no problems whatsoever - looking forward to football tonight!

SCHEX
post #102 of 116 Old 01-08-2013, 04:08 PM

Newbie here with a question. New owner of E61i-a3. How do I get the firmware? Will TV do it wirelessly if I'm connected to a network?

If thats not possible, where do I go to get firmware?

Thanks,
J
post #103 of 116 Old 01-08-2013, 05:27 PM

Curious if anyone else has experienced the random power off issues with this tv. I picked it up about 2 months ago from Sam's Club and have noticed it almost immediately. It seems to be random, the tv could be on for 10 minutes connected to the directv box, and then just turns itself off. It will be fine for hours and then randomly do it again. Ive confirmed its not a power setting. I just called vizio support and went through the typical holding powerbutton while set is unplugged, so we'll see if it makes a difference but I'm not optimistic.

Just wanted to see if anyone else was having these issues.
post #104 of 116 Old 01-16-2013, 03:11 PM

I had the same issue. I contacted Vizio support 3 times, and finally after all this magic with power button they said that is hardware problem and TV has to be sent back for the replacement or repair.
So I'm awaiting for the replacement now.

2 uws2793
It gets firmware automatically when connected to internet.
post #105 of 116 Old 01-18-2013, 04:17 AM

Liked: 13
In case people haven't seen it in the Owners thread, there is a thread for people with the E601-A3 to list when they bought it, and what it's current status is.

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1450621/vizio-e601-a3-how-long-have-you-had-this-unit

SC

Display - Vizio E601i-a3 (WAP 05)
HTPC - 2011 i5 Mac mini 2.33 GHz
AVS Forum E601i-a3 User Settings Spreadsheet(ods)
post #106 of 116 Old 01-22-2013, 10:59 AM

Thanks for the info guys. Vizio finally agreed to send someone out to look at the set. Im sure its not going to do any good, but maybe necessary in the process. I may end up having to take it back to Sam's club and deal with them instead. Was trying to avoid taking the thing down off the wall.
post #107 of 116 Old 02-22-2013, 07:25 AM
3db
Advanced Member

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzook View Post

no matter the cost of the tv, every one of you should buy the extended warranty. Vizio is simply the worst for long term longevity of their sets. Unless you like replacing it every two years

Thanks for the tip. I guess I'll have to keep my eye on my 5 y old Vizio now that mentioned this. wink.gif
post #108 of 116 Old 11-30-2013, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braineack View Post

Those settings did not work out for me--they were dark, washed out, and dull.

Here's what I'm currently running:

Picture Mode: Game
Backlight: 80
Brightness: 55
Contrast: 60
Color: 51
Tint: 0
Sharpness: 3

Color Temp: Custom
Red Gain: 118
Green Gain: 128
Blue Gain: 120
Red Offset: 127
Green Offset: 125
Blue Offset: 128

Smooth Motion: Off
Noise Reduction: Low
MPEG NR: low
Color Enhancement: Off
Adaptive Luma: Extend
Film: Auto
Backlight Control: Off
Ambient Light Sensor: High

I replaced my 50PA6500 for this, so I'm still working on getting the picture to match that of the plasma.

These worked well for me. Thank you. I got this set during the black friday sale. Your settings took aways the jerky, soap opera look.
post #109 of 116 Old 12-01-2013, 06:29 PM

Liked: 13
Did anyone go for the Best Buy $678.99 Vizio E601i-A3 Thanksgiving deal?

I did and I'm wondering if anyone else is having the same problems with BB that I'm having. I bought the TV through the website for $678.99US plus tax with free shipping and set a delivery date for December 3. Two days later I got an email saying they hadn't been able to reach me to set a delivery date (false, it was confirmed on my receipt). On calling them I was told it was probably because the TV was currently out of stock and wouldn't have another one for delivery until December 9. Then another notice that once again there was no delivery date. Another call to BB and they reset the delivery date to December 14, then later that day reset it again to December 10, then tonight they reset it once again to December 11. I'm starting to worry that at some point I'll get a call saying it's no longer available and the order has been cancelled.

Oh, and just to make things more interesting my online invoice also now shows a new $70 delivery charge vs my original invoice which says free delivery. I'm hoping this is all just general BB incompetence that will eventually work itself out but since I already bought an AVR and TV stand to go with it I'm definitely a little nervous I'll be left without a TV.

Anyone else having a similar experience? Anyone receive their TV yet?
post #110 of 116 Old 12-01-2013, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BATom View Post

Did anyone go for the Best Buy $678.99 Vizio E601i-A3 Thanksgiving deal?

I did and I'm wondering if anyone else is having the same problems with BB that I'm having. I bought the TV through the website for $678.99US plus tax with free shipping and set a delivery date for December 3. Two days later I got an email saying they hadn't been able to reach me to set a delivery date (false, it was confirmed on my receipt). On calling them I was told it was probably because the TV was currently out of stock and wouldn't have another one for delivery until December 9. Then another notice that once again there was no delivery date. Another call to BB and they reset the delivery date to December 14, then later that day reset it again to December 10, then tonight they reset it once again to December 11. I'm starting to worry that at some point I'll get a call saying it's no longer available and the order has been cancelled.

Oh, and just to make things more interesting my online invoice also now shows a new $70 delivery charge vs my original invoice which says free delivery. I'm hoping this is all just general BB incompetence that will eventually work itself out but since I already bought an AVR and TV stand to go with it I'm definitely a little nervous I'll be left without a TV.

Anyone else having a similar experience? Anyone receive their TV yet?

I originally had a date of December 4th for delivery. I hadn't received any emails other than the first saying they received my order. I noticed yesterday that the date was not present when I checked my online status.

I called Best Buy and they said it was back ordered and that I needed a new date. I asked if a store nearby had stock that I could go to and get the TV. I was told that they see now that I'm set for delivery on the 4th. I left the call not feeling overly comfortable I'd see the tv on Wednesday.

I poked around the website a bit and found that the best buy closest to me actually had it in stock. I called Best Buy this morning and asked if I could change from delivery to store pickup. They looked up the store and said there were a couple in stock so no problem.

Went to the store a half hour after opening and 15 minutes later walked out with the TV.

I'd see if any local stores have it in stock.
post #111 of 116 Old 12-01-2013, 08:47 PM

Picked mine up today at Costco. $849 (and no sales tax in NH).
Pretty impressed so far. This is BIG. It replaces my 50" panasonic p50u50, which I loved, b/c of of an unfortunate accident.
I couldn't find a real replacement for that one for close to what I originally paid. Instead of replacing it with something w/less favorable reviews at 50", I decided to go bigger! I'll have to play with some of the suggested picture settings, but I'm mostly pleased so far.
I do find some of the images too sharp - I mean distractingly sharp. I think iGirl said the same. I was watching Sherlock, season 1, episode 1 via Hulu+ on my other TV last night w/Apple TV. I picked up where I left off tonight on the new TV using the Hulu+ app, and it looked SO different.
post #112 of 116 Old 12-01-2013, 10:35 PM

Ah! So now I know what Soap Opera Effect really is and what it looks like. Well, that will be easy to turn off. smile.gif
post #113 of 116 Old 07-31-2014, 03:22 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I'm posting this in three different (but related) threads to try and get maximum coverage in case someone has experienced the same issues or have gotten any fixes that they can share.

My E601i-A3 had been working perfectly fine since March 2014. I had it direct connected to a gigE switch with cat5e cable and SmartTV apps were setup and working fine. I also have an HTPC connected to HDMI1 and regular ATSC OTA antenna connected to the RF port. All was working just fine since the day of install.

On Monday (28 Jul) the TV was suddenly unresponsive to remote control command. I couldn't turn it off/on with the power button. I couldn't change inputs (HDMI or other) using the input button. I couldn't get it to go to regular TV and because of that I assumed I couldn't get it to change channels. I could get it to pull up the Smart apps menu using the V button but couldn't select any of the apps because the OK button wouldn't work.

I couldn't pull up the settings menu because menu button was in-op. I then tried to power off using the button on the side of the TV. It was in-op as well. So were the Menu, Channel and Volume buttons on the side of the TV, all in-op.

I unplugged the unit from wall AC. After initialization I used the panel power button to turn-on. I heard a loud static pop through the speakers but the unit did power up. After the processor board boot I had about 15 secs of useful remote control capability but then the unit went unresponsive again.

Each time I wanted to change input or get to the settings menu I would have to repeat the
unplug from AC power and restart routine. I had roughly 15 secs to get as far as I could into any commands that I wanted to deliver before the unit would again become inoperable. The static pop would happen on at least 30% of all of those restarts.

I then consulted Vizio. The first contact was through email. They gave me written instruction on how to perform a factory reset and to use the unplug from AC and hold power button for 30sec fix. Even after factory reset the unit still would only give roughly 15 secs of allowable control before locking up.

Vizio then had me to call the 1-877 support number. The phone tech also had me to do
the factory reset and 30 sec power button hold fix. When it still didn't work the phone tech had me to disconnect the unit from my network (removed ethernet cable) and accomplish factory reset. The unit then started to respond to remote control and side panel buttons.
I thought all was well so I proceeded to connect my ethernet cable and immediately the unit went into the same inoperable state as before. I disconnected ethernet and restarted and manual control function was restored.

I tried then to use wireless network connection. Again as soon as the unit was connected to the network the manual controls became inoperable.

So my dilemna now is that I have to choose whether I want the unit connected to my network or whether I will try to establish the functionality of the Smart TV apps and sacrifice those in lieu of manual control. Effectively if I can no longer connect the unit to the network, it renders the SmartTV capability useless. But if I connect it to my network it renders the TV useless. The device was designed so that one could use both. It was previously working just fine with both. Why can't it be made to go back and work again with both?

To my knowledge there have been no forced firmware or software updates made to the system since initial installation that might would have caused this. I haven't changed anything about my AV hardware nor network hardware in that same timeframe. So it begs the question. What could have caused this? Vizio didn't have any suggestion as to what in hardware could be causing it. I haven't heard back from them on whether a firmware update is available that should affect it or fix it.

Have any of you had any experiences like this? Does anyone know of any known fixes to this? I'm just trying to get the unit to go back to functioning the same way that it did prior to 28 Jul. Nothing overt was done to put it into this state, so what overt actions can be taken to get it back to its previous level of functionality?

Any information or advice that anyone has would be greatly appreciated.

EZed
post #114 of 116 Old 10-18-2014, 05:10 PM

Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 1
I'm going to use the settings that Braineack used on my father unit. I will post later to tell you the results. Thank you!
post #115 of 116 Old 10-18-2014, 06:15 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Have you tried to use the set on the router rather than direct hookup? It has excellent wireless operation and that would probably solve your problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by edyohome View Post
I'm posting this in three different (but related) threads to try and get maximum coverage in case someone has experienced the same issues or have gotten any fixes that they can share.

My E601i-A3 had been working perfectly fine since March 2014. I had it direct connected to a gigE switch with cat5e cable and SmartTV apps were setup and working fine. I also have an HTPC connected to HDMI1 and regular ATSC OTA antenna connected to the RF port. All was working just fine since the day of install.

On Monday (28 Jul) the TV was suddenly unresponsive to remote control command. I couldn't turn it off/on with the power button. I couldn't change inputs (HDMI or other) using the input button. I couldn't get it to go to regular TV and because of that I assumed I couldn't get it to change channels. I could get it to pull up the Smart apps menu using the V button but couldn't select any of the apps because the OK button wouldn't work.

I couldn't pull up the settings menu because menu button was in-op. I then tried to power off using the button on the side of the TV. It was in-op as well. So were the Menu, Channel and Volume buttons on the side of the TV, all in-op.

I unplugged the unit from wall AC. After initialization I used the panel power button to turn-on. I heard a loud static pop through the speakers but the unit did power up. After the processor board boot I had about 15 secs of useful remote control capability but then the unit went unresponsive again.

Each time I wanted to change input or get to the settings menu I would have to repeat the
unplug from AC power and restart routine. I had roughly 15 secs to get as far as I could into any commands that I wanted to deliver before the unit would again become inoperable. The static pop would happen on at least 30% of all of those restarts.

I then consulted Vizio. The first contact was through email. They gave me written instruction on how to perform a factory reset and to use the unplug from AC and hold power button for 30sec fix. Even after factory reset the unit still would only give roughly 15 secs of allowable control before locking up.

Vizio then had me to call the 1-877 support number. The phone tech also had me to do
the factory reset and 30 sec power button hold fix. When it still didn't work the phone tech had me to disconnect the unit from my network (removed ethernet cable) and accomplish factory reset. The unit then started to respond to remote control and side panel buttons.
I thought all was well so I proceeded to connect my ethernet cable and immediately the unit went into the same inoperable state as before. I disconnected ethernet and restarted and manual control function was restored.

I tried then to use wireless network connection. Again as soon as the unit was connected to the network the manual controls became inoperable.

So my dilemna now is that I have to choose whether I want the unit connected to my network or whether I will try to establish the functionality of the Smart TV apps and sacrifice those in lieu of manual control. Effectively if I can no longer connect the unit to the network, it renders the SmartTV capability useless. But if I connect it to my network it renders the TV useless. The device was designed so that one could use both. It was previously working just fine with both. Why can't it be made to go back and work again with both?

To my knowledge there have been no forced firmware or software updates made to the system since initial installation that might would have caused this. I haven't changed anything about my AV hardware nor network hardware in that same timeframe. So it begs the question. What could have caused this? Vizio didn't have any suggestion as to what in hardware could be causing it. I haven't heard back from them on whether a firmware update is available that should affect it or fix it.

Have any of you had any experiences like this? Does anyone know of any known fixes to this? I'm just trying to get the unit to go back to functioning the same way that it did prior to 28 Jul. Nothing overt was done to put it into this state, so what overt actions can be taken to get it back to its previous level of functionality?

Any information or advice that anyone has would be greatly appreciated.

LR: Vizio E701i-A3, Vizio VSB207 sound bar, Sony BD390 BR, Roku 3.

BR: Vizio E601i-A3, Sharp (disc.) sound bar, Sony BD390 BR, Roku 3
post #116 of 116 Old 10-22-2014, 03:17 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardCarver View Post
Have you tried to use the set on the router rather than direct hookup? It has excellent wireless operation and that would probably solve your problem.
Problem resolved itself after another complete system reset and disconnecting completely from network. Waited roughly one week, reconnected to network and all was good again. I did not reconnect to DLNA server on PC. I am only using the TV as a monitor and occassionally use the VIA apps. It is mostly (99% of time) used as a monitor for an HTPC setup so all of the streamed media and local files come through the PC. DLNA was just a nice to have and an experiment to see if it was useful. It wasn't really. DLNA is much slower than just accessing media files directly through a Gbit LAN. It didn't buy me anything so mostly its useless in my case. Streaming is working in the native TV apps now so that's all that I need and it hasn't locked up again since doing the factory reset and VIA setup again. If it does lock up again at least I have a place from which to start in trouble shooting next time.

EZed
Reply LCD Flat Panel Great Found Deals!

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page