Vizio 60-inch E601i-A3 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 113 Old 10-07-2012, 11:12 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
How about the Vizo 60-inch non-3d 120hz model.

Seems to be at under $1,000.

I am torn between this and 55LM7600. Is the later worth $450 more. Any suggestions.

CNET has a good review on Vizio.

Any other good 55-inh Edge Lit LEDs at this price 1000-1200.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 113 Old 10-08-2012, 08:51 PM

Tiger direct has had a couple of 55 inchers for under a $1000 last week. One was the Sony KDL55EX640 - 55" Class LED HDTV - 1080p, 16:9, HDMI, USB, Wi-Fi, Motionflow XR 240, Internet TV, Energy Star. The other was the LG A05-5502 - 55" Class LED 3D HDTV - 1080p, 1920 x 1080, 16:9, 120Hz, 4000000:1, HDMI, USB, Energy Star, 4x 3D Glasses Included. I was debating between one of these two and the Vizio E601I-A3, so I went into Costco to check out the Vizio in person. The picture looked crystal clear and was easily on par with the 55 inch LG and Samsung models next to it. The only difference was the extra five inches on the Vizio which made the 55 inch TVs LEDs seem tiny. I am planning on buying the Vizio, but am waiting until Amazon gets more in stock. (They are currently out of stock, but getting more in soon) I decided not to purchase from Costo or Sam's Club as they charge sales tax, and Amazon does not currently charge sales tax to Minnesota residences. I am also planning on calling Amazon to get a price match to the Sam's Club price of 988 which will save even more. Can't wait to get it! I nerded out and taped the dimensions of the new TV on the wall where it will be mounted so I could visualize what it will look like. I'd imagine Avengers will look pretty sweet once I get the new set put up!
post #3 of 113 Old 10-08-2012, 09:14 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Unless Vizio's drastically changed in the past year or so, I would not recomend them if you want an accurate set. Their settings and options tend to look ok in most of the in store torch display settings, but when you try to calibrate them and mess with them theyre quite lacking and tend to still look quite over-saturated
post #4 of 113 Old 10-09-2012, 09:00 AM - Thread Starter

Yes, after looking at the 60" it is hard to go back to 55".

This is a new model from Vizio, not an older one. I wish they had a passive 3D in it.
That would make this set unbeatable value.
post #5 of 113 Old 10-09-2012, 07:18 PM

Liked: 15
You know whats funny, I've been saving up for a Sammy but this guy is pretty much what I'm looking for...

I read the home theatre review and the cnet review and for the price this set is a pretty good value and probably a decent upgrade from my 5 year old PZ85U panasonic plasma.

The cnet review provided a calibration report and after calibration the results weren't that bad.

Trying to convince my wife that this would hold me over for a while... I really want a UN65ES8000 but at 3.5 times the cost I don't know if its worth it.
post #6 of 113 Old 10-09-2012, 10:09 PM

Wish it had 3D too (either active or passive), but I'm not too bummed out because there isn't a whole lot of content available in 3D right now anyhow and glasses-free 3D shouldn't be too far down the road.
post #7 of 113 Old 10-15-2012, 06:46 AM

It went back on sale on Amazon last night at 11PM EST. I snagged one right then. Hoping to get a call from the shipment company soon.
post #8 of 113 Old 10-15-2012, 07:36 AM

Liked: 12
E601I-A3 is $978 in stock at the local Sam's Club - going to probably pick one up today!
post #9 of 113 Old 10-15-2012, 10:31 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 19
My local Costco had about 6 in stock on Saturday, I went back to take a second look this morning. They were all gone.
post #10 of 113 Old 10-15-2012, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockaway1836 View Post

My local Costco had about 6 in stock on Saturday, I went back to take a second look this morning. They were all gone.

We went today and got it - within a hour of walking in the door, 2 of the 6 on the floor we gone. Out of the box the colors and brightness are crazy as "default". I've toned it down a bit but it's going to take some time to calibrate it to my liking. I'm a professional photographer so color is very important and I can tell the difference easily between good and poor. They have all these different "presets" for types of material - golf, movies, television, baseball etc. - personally I like just one, color accurate display - so with some tweaking we'll get there - there are plenty of parameters to delve into. I've already seen it's potential - even though it wouldn't be a screen I would do image editing on.

It's going to take some time before the jury is fully back - a shiny new toy is too hard to truly evaluate fairly. Will try to get back around here and update after some time with it.
post #11 of 113 Old 10-15-2012, 04:40 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by iGirl View Post

We went today and got it - within a hour of walking in the door, 2 of the 6 on the floor we gone. Out of the box the colors and brightness are crazy as "default". I've toned it down a bit but it's going to take some time to calibrate it to my liking. I'm a professional photographer so color is very important and I can tell the difference easily between good and poor. They have all these different "presets" for types of material - golf, movies, television, baseball etc. - personally I like just one, color accurate display - so with some tweaking we'll get there - there are plenty of parameters to delve into. I've already seen it's potential - even though it wouldn't be a screen I would do image editing on.
It's going to take some time before the jury is fully back - a shiny new toy is too hard to truly evaluate fairly. Will try to get back around here and update after some time with it.

You may want to check this out. http://reviews.cnet.com/flat-panel-tvs/vizio-e601i-a3/4505-6482_7-35477662.html If you try the settimgs in the article, let us know what you think.
post #12 of 113 Old 10-15-2012, 05:51 PM

iGirl, if you don't mind me asking, how big was the box? My local Sam's club has it in stock too, but all I have is my Mazda 5 mini van. I am not sure if I'll be able to fit the LCD in.
post #13 of 113 Old 10-15-2012, 09:22 PM

so i was looking at smaller tvs that are known to be good in another thread.
and then i bought that one on amazon just now. Ill see how it is this weekend. looks good at the shop.
wasnt too confident with sam's club even thus it's cheaper, for such a big item, i'm not very confident they'd take it back if theres an issue and so on.

colors appear to be good when the screen is setup at the shop too but with the lighting there its hard to say.

dont think i care too much for 3D.. there's not much content anyway, and my next TV would probably be a 4K in a few years so bleh smile.gif
post #14 of 113 Old 10-16-2012, 01:05 PM

I went ahead and got one from Costco. My birthday is next week, so I consider it an early birthday gift. It replaces my JVC 56". Initial impressions ... it needs work. I need to play with the menus to get the picture dialed in. I immediately see the difference between my JVC DiLA and this set. That, and now I need to get a center channel shelf that works with a flat screen. I also need to get the sound piped back to the receiver from the TV if I want to use any of the web-based stuff. I turn the tv speakers off normally, and use the receiver for everything.
post #15 of 113 Old 10-16-2012, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timdafweak View Post

iGirl, if you don't mind me asking, how big was the box? My local Sam's club has it in stock too, but all I have is my Mazda 5 mini van. I am not sure if I'll be able to fit the LCD in.

The box is surprisingly small. 58x36x7 inches!
timdafweak likes this.
post #16 of 113 Old 10-16-2012, 03:20 PM

I've been working on it and got the color looking pretty good with not a lot of work or time invested (more tweaking to come).

One bad part - the internal speakers/sound is pretty poor. It has a 5 or 6 band EQ and I've been working on that as well - it helps, but the sound just pales in comparison to the big Mitsubishi DLP we replaced.
Vizio sells a $260 soundbar and sub kit for it - so they must know it's not so hot and it's not completely surprising considering how thin this TV is - there's no room for acoustics in there.
I won't buy the Vizio soundbar kit, and for casual watching the sound is tolerable I guess, but I'll also have a 5.1 system hooked up to it for viewing films (and more).

One thing that's great is - in a bright room - even with sun/window reflections hitting the screen it's bright and clear - not washed out by light at all. That's awesome!
Quote:
rockaway1836 wrote: If you try the settimgs in the (above linked) article, let us know what you think.

Will do - I'll also share what I came up with given time to get to it - there is one space for "Custom".

One last parting note - After viewing the Mitsubishi DLP for the last 5 years - this really takes some getting used to - details are almost *too good*, lol. TV shows that used to look more "film-like" - now appear very clearly to be shot on digital video! It's a little disturbing to be honest. Scenes that used to look pretty realistic - now are clearly seen to be shot on video on sound stages in studios. If you like the look of film and don't like the look of video - this TV might just have too much detail for you! ha ha There's ways to soften it down however - so it's not so sharp. :-)
post #17 of 113 Old 10-17-2012, 06:40 AM

Thanks iGirl! The box is definitely smaller than I expected. The panny TC P60U50 that I am sending back has a box nearly double this in width. :/

As for the sound, I learned long back not to trust the TV speakers. I have my 42" LG hooked up to my Logitech Z5500 that I initially bought for my computer. It isn't on par with a HTIB, but it works quite well, and it is 5.1. I was looking to replace the Z5500 with a sound bar, but have read nothing but "Meh" reviews about their virtual surround sound capabilities. I would be interested to see what you decide for.
post #18 of 113 Old 10-19-2012, 01:38 PM

Heeelloo everyone, 1st post

I just bought this TV off amazon for $999, waiting on delivery next week. Im as big a samsung fanboy as anyone but just couldnt spend so much extra for virtually no gains in my eyes. I dont use APPS on my TV or 3D so I think vizio really hit the nail on the head with this model by cutting off some of the fat to save on cost.

I'll let you guys know how the set turns out.
post #19 of 113 Old 10-20-2012, 02:54 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 22
I bought one from Amazon just now. Amazon is doing a 2% return which makes it 979 and that's a hell of a TV for that money. It's replacing a 47" Toshiba in the BR. I've been lusting for a bigger TV for awhile and made the mistake of telling my sister she could have the 47 if I did and she's been on me ever since. I have a Olevia 65 in the LR and if this 60 meets all the hype I'll spring for a 70 to replace the Olevia, two giant TVs for the price of a high end 55. Sounds good to me. These ought to last until OLEDs get down to throw away prices like these!

LR: Vizio E701i-A3, Vizio VSB207 sound bar, Sony BD390 BR, Roku 3.

BR: Vizio E601i-A3, Sharp (disc.) sound bar, Sony BD390 BR, Roku 3
post #20 of 113 Old 10-20-2012, 01:15 PM

Liked: 15
Just wanted to add my opinion. I purchased the 60 inch E601i-A3 this morning from Sam's Club for $978 before tax. My needs were a large screen (55" or more) with a minimum of 120hz to use almost exclusively for blu ray and gaming. I can also confirm that both the "store" and "home" settings are horrible. I have been tweaking somewhat with The Dark Knight blu ray and I have something that is tolerable until the more experienced voices on here are able to post their calibrations. Here are my thoughts so far (slight spoilers of the first ten minutes of The Dark Knight):

For reference I purchased this unit as a stand-in between now and about five years out. Ideally, I would have gone with the 70-inch 240hz Sharp 70LE847U, but I am starting grad school and can't justify a $3K tv right now. So...a compromise was made and this unit fit the bill. I watch NFL football on Sunday evenings, and that is about it for live television (I watch all tv shows on blu ray or Netflix streaming). So, I won't be able to report much on OTA HD performance. I will report back after this weekend about how it performs for HD football. I do watch alot of blu rays and do quite a bit of gaming, both on PC and PS3, so I'll report back on those in more detail.

Blacks: The blacks seem above average to me. I am not a videophile (still learning), but they look good to my eye. I will say that we saw a 55 inch Panasonic ST50 on display at Sam's playing Tron Legacy/Tangled trailers on a loop and the depth of the black on that unit was stunning, even in the bright lighting. I would say that if the blacks on the ST50 were a 10 I would give the blacks on the E601i-A3 an 8.5. The blacks (and details in the blacks) are substantially improved over the 42 inch LG and 55 inch Samsung units I've owned. On a black screen (I put it on an input screen for an empty HDMI slot) there is a slight variation to the black in the lower left of the screen. In my opinion, it is more or less a non-issue and I don't think I would even worry about it if it was present in a more expensive panel. I could not see it in dark portions of the Dark Knight or Skyrim. It has much less variation than the non-LED LG and Samsung units I own.

Glare: Reflections don't seem to be an issue. It is sunny today and I have open window blinds in the room. I can see a slight reflection when the screen is black, but it is not evident when watching something on screen. It is not the black hole of a matte screen that my 7 year old LG is, but I think it would be fine in virtually any level of light.

Picture Quality: I don't have the best HD cable tv performance, so I didn't even bother trying to look at anything on live tv. Like I said before, out of the box it wasn't great. Everything was over saturated (even in Home mode). After fiddling with everything, I got the Dark Knight to a level that is superior to my 55-inch Samsung. Only watched up through the end of the bank robbery, but the images are very crisp and nicely realized on the screen. I don't think there is much more I can say (again, I'm less experienced at this stuff than others are), but I think that when the experienced posters have time to go through detailed calibrations, this tv will look stellar - especially given the price point. I am going to try the C-Net settings later and see what I think about those as well.

Motion: I am not a person who hates the soap opera effect. So, regarding the motion settings on this tv: they are better than what I've had experience with in the past. After getting the picture settings toned down I watched the opening of The Dark Knight, trying to compare the "Smooth Motion Effect." It isn't as bad as I expected. In the scene where two of the masked bank robbers are zip lining down to the roof of the bank, you I could easily see a sort of haze of swimming pixels around their figures because the image is moving so quickly and I assume the processor can't keep up. In slower moving scenes (essentially every other scene leading up to the Joker leaving in the bus), I thought the motion settings performed fairly well. Again this is a very limited sampling, but if you are one who likes motion enhancement, the Vizio seems capable.

Without the motion enhancement, the movement appeared smooth (not SOE smooth) with no juddering. Even though I enjoy the SOE to an extent, I think I will leave the setting off for blu rays.

Remote: The remote is very responsive and well laid out, and the QWERTY keyboard on the back is an excellent addition (surprising on a tv at this price point). But, be aware that either the tv's IR sensor or the remote has a very narrow range. I cannot have anything impeding the view of the remote to the IR sensor.

Response Time: I am also happy to report that the response time is acceptable for gaming. However (like everything else with the unit) it is horrible out of the box. I need this monitor to perform well for gaming, and I was initially very worried that I would have to take it back. I started with Black Ops on PS3 and loaded a multiplayer match to see if the response time was ok. It was not, to say the least - easily the worst I've personally experienced compared to the two prior LCDs I've owned. So I went into the picture settings and chose "Game" from the listed Picture Modes and turned off every extra setting that might be taking up processing power. Did not help. I booted the PC and loaded Skyrim out of Steam Big Picture and still had bad lag. Then I realized that I needed to go into "Settings" and turn "Game Mode" on. All is well. Skyrim (pc) and Black Ops (ps3) perform fine.

Gaming: Black Ops on the PS3 is obviously not a graphical powerhouse, but it looked ok - nothing special. Skyrim was a different story. I put everything on Ultra to see what it would look like, and WOW. I have a decent 1080p computer monitor and I've run Skyrim on the 720p 42-inch LG, but this Vizio screen is in a different ball park. Even with my preliminary settings, the colors are vivid and seem to pop more than on the PC monitor. And everything is razor sharp. I played for about thirty minutes, both in outdoor daytime settings and also indoors in an inn, and it looks phenomenal. I know alot of that is the result of Skyrim just being a good looking game, but I am very happy and impressed.

Apps: I cannot report on the Smart TV functionality yet. The internet capability of the unit was not really a focus because I've got the PS3 and a PC as sources. One thing I thought was odd was that it requested that I accept a Yahoo! EULA when I first turned the tv on for the use of widgits. I just bypassed it, but I thought that was strange. It appears to be a fully connected device (to my limited knowledge) and the remote has Amazon, Netflix, and something called M-GO buttons at the top.

Sound: Regarding the sound - it's ok I guess. I will have 7.1 for movies and either 7.1 or a good headset for gaming, so I didn't give it much thought. I would probably agree with iGirl though, I certainly was not impressed by the sound.

Connections: The tv has plenty of connections (4 HDMI, I think). But, the coax cable input and two of the HDMI inputs are a little hard to access. They point down, towards the stand, but there is a little ridge on the back panel about two or three inches below them that required me to bend the cables slightly before connecting them. Not a major issue, and the only reason it even came up was because I am using a 40 foot HDMI cable to connect to the PC, which means the cable is very thick and was a little hard to bend. Ultimately worked fine though.

Build Quality: I had no problems attaching the stand, three screws and you are done. It seems sturdy, but it will wobble quite a bit as you get it set up. Personally I think the tv itself looks very nice. The bezel (I measured it at 6/8 of an inch on the tops and sides and 1.5 inch on the bottom) is not very thick but also not super thin like the slick looking new Samsungs. So, there is a little bit of black around the edges but I think it looks fairly classy. One of the things I hate about my old 55-inch Samsung was the three inch glossy black border around the panel that got finger prints on it any time you touched it.

Overall, I am very pleased. I think that for $1K, the tv is exceeding my expectations.

Thank you guys for the great community and I will try to post some pics later.
Manamb, shopking68 and timdafweak like this.
post #21 of 113 Old 10-22-2012, 07:14 PM

I played some bf3 on the tv (PC version) in game mode and the response time feels similar to my benq xl2420t (even thus the benq on paper has 0ms input lag) so id say its very good.
without the game mode the lag is pretty bad smile.gif
post #22 of 113 Old 10-22-2012, 08:31 PM

Bad news - tonight the TV started generating a very strange audio noise - you know - the kind of hissing static noise you hear on analog TV when you're tuned into nothing/snow.
At first I thought it was water running somewhere - like a tub filling up upstairs - but then figured out it was coming from the TV.

The thing is - MUTE would NOT stop the sound! Though it was clearly an AUDIO sound coming out of the speakers. It sputtered a tiny bit - louder and quieter - though with nothing else turned on anywhere - it was very loud and kept on going for at least a couple of hours.
I tried lowering the volume - muting - changing channels - changing the source - nothing stopped it - it kept on hissing. With the volume up - the sound was still present in the background.
I turned the TV off and back on a couple of times - no help, the sound reappeared each time.

It's very strange - and went on for a long time but by the end of the night the sound went away of it's own accord. Can't wait to see what it does tomorrow.... but -

1 Week old and it's going back to Sam's Club tomorrow.

We're otherwise very happy with it and might buy another - but our top of the line Mitsubishi DLP is going back in the space for now.
post #23 of 113 Old 10-22-2012, 08:41 PM

Quote:

Bad news - tonight the TV started generating a very strange audio noise - you know - the kind of hissing static noise you hear on analog TV when you're tuned into nothing/snow.
At first I thought it was water running somewhere - like a tub filling up upstairs - but then figured out it was coming from the TV.
The thing is - MUTE would NOT stop the sound! Though it was clearly an AUDIO sound coming out of the speakers. It sputtered a tiny bit - louder and quieter - though with nothing else turned on anywhere - it was very loud and kept on going for at least a couple of hours.
I tried lowering the volume - muting - changing channels - changing the source - nothing stopped it - it kept on hissing. With the volume up - the sound was still present in the background.
I turned the TV off and back on a couple of times - no help.
It's very strange - and went on for a long time but by the end of the night the sound went away of it's own accord. Can't wait to see what it does tomorrow.... but -
1 Week old and it's going back to Sam's Club tomorrow.
We're otherwise very happy with it and might buy another - but our top of the line Mitsubishi DLP is going back in the space for now.

The factory speakers, no external audio?

post #24 of 113 Old 10-23-2012, 03:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardCarver View Post

The factory speakers, no external audio?

Yes, that's pretty much what it means when I said "the TV" makes the sound - though one does always have to ask the obvious - (Tech Support 101)

Nothing plugged into this box other than two HDMIs and power.

HMDI 1 - TiVo w/cablecard
HDMI 2 - Apple TV 3

EDIT: PS - I thought maybe it was some kind of loud fan running until I confirmed it was an AUDIO sound - coming from the speakers.
post #25 of 113 Old 10-23-2012, 03:31 AM

Quote:

- though one does always have to ask the obvious - (Tech Support 101)

Is it plugged in?
Did you reboot it?
Did you unplug and replug?
Is the monitor turned off?
Does the baby chew on the wires?
Are there twinky crumbs in the keyboard?
Are any family members angry with you?
Are you using the slide out thingy as a cup holder?

post #26 of 113 Old 10-23-2012, 04:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 27
no matter the cost of the tv, every one of you should buy the extended warranty. Vizio is simply the worst for long term longevity of their sets. Unless you like replacing it every two years
post #27 of 113 Old 10-23-2012, 05:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzook View Post

no matter the cost of the tv, every one of you should buy the extended warranty. Vizio is simply the worst for long term longevity of their sets. Unless you like replacing it every two years

Thanks! I'll warn my sister to keep a close eye on her four year old Vizio.

post #28 of 113 Old 10-23-2012, 08:59 AM

FWIW we also have another Vizio LCDTV as our "Bedroom TV" - had it for years and never any issues. The quality and durability of that one is one of the reasons we bought this one - so as far as I know, this is a one time issue and not endemic of all Vizeos or this model...
debnova likes this.
post #29 of 113 Old 10-23-2012, 11:52 AM
Advanced Member

I have a couple of Vizios. (knock wood) No trouble with either of them yet. I also have several friends that own them. Only one friend had one of his break down. Lucky for him, I was able to find out what the problem really was, and able to open up the set and make the repair. ( blown nano fuse ) That was at the 3 year mark on his set and that was 2 years ago. Everything has been good to go since.

I think this set will make a nice addition to my man cave. So I went ahead and ordered one from Amazon. It should be here either Friday or Monday
post #30 of 113 Old 10-23-2012, 08:23 PM

Interesting Vizio RESET procedure -

In response to an email I sent to their tech support -

Quote:
I apologize to hear you are having difficulties with your VIZIO TV. Here at VIZIO we offer best in class technical support. I would recommend performing a power cycle on your TV. Please follow the steps in this order:

1- Power off TV
2- Unplug TV from outlet
3- Press and hold in the power button on the TV for 30 seconds (while it is unplugged from the wall)
4- Release the power button
5- Plug in the TV into a different outlet
6- Power the TV back on

If this does not resolve your problem please contact our technical support when you are in front of the TV and are able to further troubleshoot. You may contact us at 1-877-878-4946 or chat with us at chat.vizio.com.

Too late for us - we returned the TV today to Sam's Club as defective, and are waiting on buying a replacement for now. Just put a new lamp this week in our Mitsubishi DLP and it's looking wonderful - and wondering why we even bothered to try to "upgrade"? :-/
Reply LCD Flat Panel Great Found Deals!

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page