Sharp 90" pricing - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 120 Old 12-01-2012, 08:33 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
dhan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Canada
Posts: 1,011
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
So... since some of you stared to buy this monster it would be interesting to read about the deals you were able to get.

The best deal I saw was 8.8k canadian $$$ but I didn't buy. What did you guys paid for the 90?
dhan is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 120 Old 12-01-2012, 09:57 PM
Member
 
freedom88's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 39
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am in Ontario. I paid $8122.00 included tax, environmental fee and delivery. I also opt for extended warranty and the total is $8800.00
freedom88 is offline  
post #3 of 120 Old 12-02-2012, 06:42 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
dhan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Canada
Posts: 1,011
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Wow this is a good price! Where did you buy it?
dhan is offline  
post #4 of 120 Old 12-02-2012, 08:59 AM
AVS Special Member
 
dreaux's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Washington DC
Posts: 1,301
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 44
I paid $8200, that included delivery but not taxes at a Best Buy in Maryland. They matched an online price from Power Sellers NY.

I used my rewards card and got back $250 which I applied to buy an extended warranty.
dreaux is offline  
post #5 of 120 Old 12-02-2012, 11:28 AM
Senior Member
 
JackVette's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: York, Pa
Posts: 210
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreaux View Post

I paid $8200, that included delivery but not taxes at a Best Buy in Maryland. They matched an online price from Power Sellers NY.
I used my rewards card and got back $250 which I applied to buy an extended warranty.

That is good to know. I am planning on going to the local best buy to negotiate.

I'm hoping my local store manager is as willing to do so as yours was .....

When I went to a local HHGregg, they would not even honor their own coupon for this set (11% off)...
JackVette is offline  
post #6 of 120 Old 12-02-2012, 12:13 PM
Member
 
freedom88's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 39
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhan View Post

Wow this is a good price! Where did you buy it?

Well that is my price but if you are interested, pm me and I'll try to help you.
freedom88 is offline  
post #7 of 120 Old 12-02-2012, 01:31 PM
 
richardfh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 95
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 20
I payed 8k plus tax at Best Buy Canada. The points will also save me a couple hundred addiitonal dollars. I had an excellent offer on my 80" and had to move fast. Absolute no buyers remorse guys... its an amazing tv... life can be too short, enjoy it while you can. Pictures available if people interested, though it isnt calibrated yet.
richardfh is offline  
post #8 of 120 Old 12-03-2012, 12:50 PM
AVS Special Member
 
dreaux's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Washington DC
Posts: 1,301
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackVette View Post

That is good to know. I am planning on going to the local best buy to negotiate.
I'm hoping my local store manager is as willing to do so as yours was .....
When I went to a local HHGregg, they would not even honor their own coupon for this set (11% off)...

BB has a new policy where they will match a number on online sites. Google and you will find what sites they will match. But bottom line is there are much more flexible now.

Forget HH Gregg...they seem to be disorganized ....
dreaux is offline  
post #9 of 120 Old 12-03-2012, 01:27 PM
Senior Member
 
JackVette's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: York, Pa
Posts: 210
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreaux View Post

BB has a new policy where they will match a number on online sites. Google and you will find what sites they will match. But bottom line is there are much more flexible now.
Forget HH Gregg...they seem to be disorganized ....

Here is their policy:

Best Buy will match the new, identical, immediately available current pre-tax appliance and electronics hardware products price for these designated major retailers: Amazon.com, Apple.com, Bhphotovideo.com, Buy.com, Circuitcity.com, CompUSA.com, Crutchfield.com, Dell.com, hhgregg.com, hp.com, homedepot.com, lowes.com, newegg.com, officedepot.com, officemax.com, Sears.com, Staples.com, Target.com, Tigerdirect.com, and walmart.com.

Appliance and electronics hardware products include audio hardware, video hardware, cameras, camcorders, desktop computers, notebook computers, e-Readers, tablets, TVs, MP3 players, small appliances, major appliances, gaming handheld devices and consoles. Best Buy will not price match accessories, during the return and exchange period or the online prices of third party vendors (Marketplace Vendors) on major retailer websites. Valid for purchases made between October 7, 2012 - November 17, 2012 and November 27, 2012 - December 24, 2012. Best Buy may amend these terms at any time. All other terms and conditions of the Best Buy Price Match Guarantee apply. See Store for details.


I would like to use BB.

As an aside, I met Best Buy's CIO last year. We had a long discussion about their competition and things they can do.

She and I specifically talked about matching prices to lessen the impact of using them as a showroom......

I agree. HHGregg does not give me the feeling that they really know their products.
JackVette is offline  
post #10 of 120 Old 12-03-2012, 05:21 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
dhan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Canada
Posts: 1,011
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I wonder if they have that policy in Canada...
dhan is offline  
post #11 of 120 Old 12-03-2012, 05:26 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
dhan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Canada
Posts: 1,011
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Looks like they do...
dhan is offline  
post #12 of 120 Old 12-10-2012, 04:19 PM
Senior Member
 
JackVette's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: York, Pa
Posts: 210
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10

I went to the Best Buy near my office today.

They had an 80" (844 model) that looks like it was properly calibrated. I liked the picture.

They had a 90" there but it wasn't turned on unfortunately.

When I walked up to it, I noticed that the price was down to $8999.....

That's a start.
JackVette is offline  
post #13 of 120 Old 12-10-2012, 05:27 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Speakerphile's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 1,965
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 161
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackVette View Post

I went to the Best Buy near my office today.
They had an 80" (844 model) that looks like it was properly calibrated. I liked the picture.
They had a 90" there but it wasn't turned on unfortunately.
When I walked up to it, I noticed that the price was down to $8999.....
That's a start.

The 90" is on sale this week.

Though I am an employee of Magnolia Home Theater, the views and opinions I express on this forum are those of my own and not my employer.
Speakerphile is offline  
post #14 of 120 Old 12-11-2012, 07:41 PM
Member
 
freedom88's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 39
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
bestbuy canada price drop as well from $9999.99 to $9987.98.....:rolleyes:a whoopi saving of $12.01
freedom88 is offline  
post #15 of 120 Old 12-12-2012, 11:54 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Speakerphile's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 1,965
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 161
Quote:
Originally Posted by freedom88 View Post

bestbuy canada price drop as well from $9999.99 to $9987.98.....:rolleyes:a whoopi saving of $12.01

Probably either an error or some sort of minor competitive reaction which may be part of an automated process.


Also worth mentioning, these are sale prices, not permanent price drops.(More so speaking about the $8999.98 price)

Though I am an employee of Magnolia Home Theater, the views and opinions I express on this forum are those of my own and not my employer.
Speakerphile is offline  
post #16 of 120 Old 12-12-2012, 12:37 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Cleveland Plasma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Cleveland, Ohio
Posts: 12,280
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 466 Post(s)
Liked: 640
Cleveland Plasma is online now  
post #17 of 120 Old 12-27-2012, 06:11 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
dhan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Canada
Posts: 1,011
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Fillion have the 90 on sale for 8.2k until jan 31...
dhan is offline  
post #18 of 120 Old 12-27-2012, 09:10 AM
Senior Member
 
JackVette's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: York, Pa
Posts: 210
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Amazon has it for $8299.
Since Best Buy will match them, I will likely buy from BB.

There are internet retailers at below $8K, even below $7.5K....

I will see if BB will match them....

I will hopefully pull the trigger in January.
JackVette is offline  
post #19 of 120 Old 12-28-2012, 10:54 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Speakerphile's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 1,965
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 161
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackVette View Post

Amazon has it for $8299.
Since Best Buy will match them, I will likely buy from BB.
There are internet retailers at below $8K, even below $7.5K....
I will see if BB will match them....
I will hopefully pull the trigger in January.

The $8299 price is Crawford's Superstore, which is an Amazon Marketplace seller not Amazon direct. Best Buy's policy does not allow matching of Marketplace sellers. Amazon's price is $9999.99. That said, Crawford's Superstore, and Amazon for that matter, aren't even supposed to have this TV and are not official dealers.

Though I am an employee of Magnolia Home Theater, the views and opinions I express on this forum are those of my own and not my employer.
Speakerphile is offline  
post #20 of 120 Old 12-28-2012, 04:40 PM
Senior Member
 
JackVette's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: York, Pa
Posts: 210
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speakerphile View Post

The $8299 price is Crawford's Superstore, which is an Amazon Marketplace seller not Amazon direct. Best Buy's policy does not allow matching of Marketplace sellers. Amazon's price is $9999.99. That said, Crawford's Superstore, and Amazon for that matter, aren't even supposed to have this TV and are not official dealers.

Well....

That puts a damper on my hopes......

I can wait I guess.....
JackVette is offline  
post #21 of 120 Old 01-09-2013, 12:41 AM
Newbie
 
recoverypunk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 7
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have been reading about the pricing of the 90" Sharp (LC-90LE745U) which Sharp sells for $10,999.99 on its own site; hhgregg has it listed for $9,999.99 and Best Buy has it for $9,999.98 (as of 3:00am EST 1/9/2013). Amazon has it for $8,199.00 and its shipped (for free) from Crawford's Superstore (both of which I have come to understand are not authorized retailers of this tv). The problem with this particular set and pricing is it is UPP (Unilateral Pricing Policy). This means Sharp sets the price, not the retailer. Its the only Sharp model that is UPP. Almost all Samsungs, Sonys and Panasonics are also UPP. Now... I dont know how Amazon or Crawfords can sell it for any less than the UPP. Sometimes these retailers can make a deal with the manufacturer but this doesnt mean that other stores (hhgregg and Best Buy) can match it. They cant. This is what happens when a salesman sells a tv for lower than UPP. First the salesman gets fired. Then the store manager may also get fired, It depends on whether this has happened before in that particular store. Then the retailer will try to recoup the money that was discounted from the customer. They will do this with promises of future discounts or even gift cards. Why do they go to all this trouble? Its because of Sharp or Samsung, etc. They all went to UPP because they felt their products were being undervalued. In some cases this was true. When someone buys a tv online for hundreds of dollars less than its priced normally and it fails its the manufacturer that now has to honor a warranty for that tv. There is also "brand value" and when their products are sold for less than they want them to be they feel their products look cheap. The real kicker is the fine print. Most manufacturers of UPP televisions WILL NOT honor any manufacturers warranties on any tv's sold for less than UPP or sold by stores/parties that are not authorized retailers. Of course you can always buy an extended warranty but that will run you almost a grand on the 90". What does this mean? Very little actually. Prices are way lower this year than they were last year on similar models plus the sets have way more features and other manufacturers like LG (who chose to not go UPP) drove the prices even lower as the year progressed. Sure you now have to pony up "full price" for a Samsung, Sony, Panasonic or for this seven foot six inch monstrosity (just remember... 1080p is 1080p no matter what the size of the screen so unless youre sitting 16' or further away from this set its an awful experience. Can you say "huge pixels?") but you are paying less for it than you would have in 02011/early 2012. If you must have the 90" Sharp then you are going to pay Sharps price; not hhgreggs, not Best Buys, not Sears.... Yes the price will drop. Yes it has gone "on sale" from time to time. No it isnt on sale right now but you can wait for two things... Wait for the 2013 model to be released and then this model will go on closeout and no longer be a UPP set or buy one used from someone who wasnt exactly satisfied with the (way) less than perfect resolution on this set.

As for hhgregg being lost??? WTF? Ever try to get "help" in a Best Buy? HA! hhgregg trains the hell out of their people and they want to help and sell to you. why? Theyre on straight commission (vs a draw of minimum wage). If they dont sell they dont eat. hhgregg is more willing to negotiate price than any other retailer I know of. I work there and there has been more than one occasion where a customer got a better price on a tv then I could get. Yes... they paid less than an employee would pay and we get "landed cost" on anything there (we are NOT allowed to buy below landed so we dont get these "deals" or even the chance to buy most "open box" stuff). About the worst you will get from the store I work at is maybe an over-eager saleman trying to help both you and them self.

I hope this helped...
recoverypunk is offline  
post #22 of 120 Old 01-09-2013, 09:30 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Speakerphile's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 1,965
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 161
Quote:
Originally Posted by recoverypunk View Post

I have been reading about the pricing of the 90" Sharp (LC-90LE745U) which Sharp sells for $10,999.99 on its own site; hhgregg has it listed for $9,999.99 and Best Buy has it for $9,999.98 (as of 3:00am EST 1/9/2013). Amazon has it for $8,199.00 and its shipped (for free) from Crawford's Superstore (both of which I have come to understand are not authorized retailers of this tv). The problem with this particular set and pricing is it is UPP (Unilateral Pricing Policy). This means Sharp sets the price, not the retailer. Its the only Sharp model that is UPP. Almost all Samsungs, Sonys and Panasonics are also UPP. Now... I dont know how Amazon or Crawfords can sell it for any less than the UPP. Sometimes these retailers can make a deal with the manufacturer but this doesnt mean that other stores (hhgregg and Best Buy) can match it. They cant. This is what happens when a salesman sells a tv for lower than UPP. First the salesman gets fired. Then the store manager may also get fired, It depends on whether this has happened before in that particular store. Then the retailer will try to recoup the money that was discounted from the customer. They will do this with promises of future discounts or even gift cards. Why do they go to all this trouble? Its because of Sharp or Samsung, etc. They all went to UPP because they felt their products were being undervalued. In some cases this was true. When someone buys a tv online for hundreds of dollars less than its priced normally and it fails its the manufacturer that now has to honor a warranty for that tv. There is also "brand value" and when their products are sold for less than they want them to be they feel their products look cheap. The real kicker is the fine print. Most manufacturers of UPP televisions WILL NOT honor any manufacturers warranties on any tv's sold for less than UPP or sold by stores/parties that are not authorized retailers. Of course you can always buy an extended warranty but that will run you almost a grand on the 90". What does this mean? Very little actually. Prices are way lower this year than they were last year on similar models plus the sets have way more features and other manufacturers like LG (who chose to not go UPP) drove the prices even lower as the year progressed. Sure you now have to pony up "full price" for a Samsung, Sony, Panasonic or for this seven foot six inch monstrosity (just remember... 1080p is 1080p no matter what the size of the screen so unless youre sitting 16' or further away from this set its an awful experience. Can you say "huge pixels?") but you are paying less for it than you would have in 02011/early 2012. If you must have the 90" Sharp then you are going to pay Sharps price; not hhgreggs, not Best Buys, not Sears.... Yes the price will drop. Yes it has gone "on sale" from time to time. No it isnt on sale right now but you can wait for two things... Wait for the 2013 model to be released and then this model will go on closeout and no longer be a UPP set or buy one used from someone who wasnt exactly satisfied with the (way) less than perfect resolution on this set.
As for hhgregg being lost??? WTF? Ever try to get "help" in a Best Buy? HA! hhgregg trains the hell out of their people and they want to help and sell to you. why? Theyre on straight commission (vs a draw of minimum wage). If they dont sell they dont eat. hhgregg is more willing to negotiate price than any other retailer I know of. I work there and there has been more than one occasion where a customer got a better price on a tv then I could get. Yes... they paid less than an employee would pay and we get "landed cost" on anything there (we are NOT allowed to buy below landed so we dont get these "deals" or even the chance to buy most "open box" stuff). About the worst you will get from the store I work at is maybe an over-eager saleman trying to help both you and them self.
I hope this helped...

While what you posted is accurate, for the most part. There are a few points that are not. Panasonic does not have any models that fall under a "UPP" program. Also, an employee would not be fired for breaking UPP pricing. Maybe if they continually acted with disregard for the policy, but that is another reason entirely. The giant stick that manufacturers hold over retailers with UPP programs is that violations can start with losing funding for in-store sales, and go as far as a manufacturer ceasing to do business with said retailer. Amazon and Crawford's can sell this TV for less because they are not dealers, therefor the threat of penalties does not apply to them. The only reason they have inventory is because distributors are selling, or at least did sell, product to them against Sharps wishes. The other possibility is that they are purchasing gray-market product from authorized dealers at severely discounted rates. It is doubtful that Amazon is doing this, but I wouldn't be surprised if that is where Crawford's inventory is coming from.

Though I am an employee of Magnolia Home Theater, the views and opinions I express on this forum are those of my own and not my employer.
Speakerphile is offline  
post #23 of 120 Old 01-09-2013, 01:49 PM
Senior Member
 
JackVette's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: York, Pa
Posts: 210
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
So here is the dilemma.....

I'm seriously looking at this set as well as a new receiver. Both have similar UPP policies.

I can buy the units through Best Buy or through Amazon.

If I go through Amazon, its $2500 cheaper. Is that savings worth the risk and / or headache? Maybe....

Then......

I can also purchase through other on-line sources.

Those sources have the combination an additional $900 cheaper than Amazon.....

I've spoken with the owner of a couple of companies. I've read their ratings.

Now I have to decide if I'm okay with the risks that I would take.....
JackVette is offline  
post #24 of 120 Old 01-09-2013, 04:29 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Suzook's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Posts: 5,483
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 27
there were some being sold on ebay by sellers with very high ratings for under 8k a few days ago.
not sure if thats the way you want to roll for such an expensive set.
Suzook is offline  
post #25 of 120 Old 01-09-2013, 05:10 PM
Senior Member
 
JackVette's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: York, Pa
Posts: 210
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzook View Post

there were some being sold on ebay by sellers with very high ratings for under 8k a few days ago.
not sure if thats the way you want to roll for such an expensive set.

There are a number of internet dealers well under $8K.

I've purchased many large items through the internet over the years, but I always check out the company and document everything. If someting goes wrong, I have my credit card company for help.

That being said, I'm still puzzled over the right next step.

From all I have read, SHARP's UPP applies to what retailers can do. I have read nothing that it impacts the warranty. The seller I spoke to today assured me that the SHARP full warranty applies.

I'm not decided.....
JackVette is offline  
post #26 of 120 Old 01-09-2013, 08:12 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Speakerphile's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 1,965
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 161
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackVette View Post

There are a number of internet dealers well under $8K.

I've purchased many large items through the internet over the years, but I always check out the company and document everything. If someting goes wrong, I have my credit card company for help.

That being said, I'm still puzzled over the right next step.

From all I have read, SHARP's UPP applies to what retailers can do. I have read nothing that it impacts the warranty. The seller I spoke to today assured me that the SHARP full warranty applies.

I'm not decided.....

The only real concern would be if the set ended up being repaired or was a refurb. That and being damaged in shipping.

Though I am an employee of Magnolia Home Theater, the views and opinions I express on this forum are those of my own and not my employer.
Speakerphile is offline  
post #27 of 120 Old 01-10-2013, 12:50 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
rogo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 1999
Location: Stop making curved screens
Posts: 30,325
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 270 Post(s)
Liked: 590
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackVette View Post

There are a number of internet dealers well under $8K.

I've purchased many large items through the internet over the years, but I always check out the company and document everything. If someting goes wrong, I have my credit card company for help.

That being said, I'm still puzzled over the right next step.

From all I have read, SHARP's UPP applies to what retailers can do. I have read nothing that it impacts the warranty. The seller I spoke to today assured me that the SHARP full warranty applies.

I'm not decided.....

Mfrs. that claim their UPP applies to warranty are full of poo. Under U.S. warranty laws, they cannot revoke warranty coverage because they don't like where you bought something. I know they think they can, but they are mistaken.

There is no difference in HDMI cables. If you can see the picture without visible dropouts or sparklies, the cable is working at 100%. No other cable will display a better version of that picture. You're simply wrong if you think there is a better digital cable than one that is already working. (Oh, and plasma didn't die because of logistics problems, nor does OLED ship in big boxes because it comes from Korea.)
rogo is offline  
post #28 of 120 Old 01-10-2013, 07:31 AM
AVS Special Member
 
JerryW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Location, Location
Posts: 1,023
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogo View Post

Mfrs. that claim their UPP applies to warranty are full of poo. Under U.S. warranty laws, they cannot revoke warranty coverage because they don't like where you bought something. I know they think they can, but they are mistaken.
You are talking about an implied warranty of merchantability. That applies if the defect was present at the time of sale. But if you can't show that there was a defect when you bought it, they can legally deny the claim.

Another approach is to purchase a 3rd party warranty from a reliable source like squaretrade. Save a couple of thousand by going grey-market and spend a couple of hundred on a 3rd part warranty to get an equal level of service.

Copyright is not property, it is merely a temporary loan from the public domain.
JerryW is offline  
post #29 of 120 Old 01-10-2013, 08:46 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Speakerphile's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 1,965
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 161
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryW View Post

You are talking about an implied warranty of merchantability. That applies if the defect was present at the time of sale. But if you can't show that there was a defect when you bought it, they can legally deny the claim.

Another approach is to purchase a 3rd party warranty from a reliable source like squaretrade. Save a couple of thousand by going grey-market and spend a couple of hundred on a 3rd part warranty to get an equal level of service.

Squaretrade only appears to cover TV's up to $2999.99. Am I missing something?

Though I am an employee of Magnolia Home Theater, the views and opinions I express on this forum are those of my own and not my employer.
Speakerphile is offline  
post #30 of 120 Old 01-10-2013, 12:43 PM
Senior Member
 
JackVette's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: York, Pa
Posts: 210
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speakerphile View Post

The only real concern would be if the set ended up being repaired or was a refurb. That and being damaged in shipping.


If I went down this path, I would document that this is a new, non grey market set. No refurb. I spoke with the owner yesterday and he assured me of that. I'd get it in writing and pay be credit card.

When the serial number was available, I'd immediately call SHARP to verify. I'd pay by credit card and if there was a problem use my leverage there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogo View Post

Mfrs. that claim their UPP applies to warranty are full of poo. Under U.S. warranty laws, they cannot revoke warranty coverage because they don't like where you bought something. I know they think they can, but they are mistaken.

I may be using the wrong words, but Pioneer is VERY clear. Purchasing a product from a non authorized source invalidates the warranty:

"IF THIS PRODUCT WAS PURCHASED FROM AN UNAUTHORIZED DISTRIBUTOR, THERE ARE NO WARRANTIES, EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING THE IMPLIED WARRANTY
OF MERCHANTABILITY AND THE IMPLIED WARRANTY OF FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE AND THIS PRODUCT IS SOLD STRICTLY “AS IS” AND “WITH ALL FAULTS"."

The owner of the company I spoke with verified this. If I bought a Pioneer Elite through him, the only warranty would be what he supplies.

Sharp has no such wording in their terms and conditions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speakerphile View Post

Squaretrade only appears to cover TV's up to $2999.99. Am I missing something?

I'm not sure about SquareTrade, but Sharp has a 1 and 3 year extended warranty available at a reasonable price. Their terms and conditions only say that you need a valid seral number on the TV (as I recall).


As I said originally, I think it come down to risk and headache. The savings could be in the thousands for a receiver and TV. That could be applied to a warranty.

Its becoming clear to me that Best Buy will NOT price match for these.

Decisions, decisions.
JackVette is offline  
Reply LCD Flat Panel Great Found Deals!

Tags
Sharp 90 Inch 3d Led Hdtv Lc 90le745u
Gear in this thread

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off