Is now the best time to buy a new TV? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 01-13-2013, 03:24 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I was told January was the best time to buy a TV (cheapest), cheaper than black friday, because of the new 2013 models they will roll out next month. Is this true? I would like to get 46-55" LED/LCD or Plasma TV for console and steam bigpicture mode gaming, movies, etc. and used in small bedroom. Current TV is Samsung 23" 720p from 2007. Ready for a much larger TV with better resolution.

Samsung and LG are my go to brands when looking at TVs. Can you recommend me some models either LED or Plasma from 2012 that could be cheap right now to get?
Here's what I found to be good and reasonable priced:

LG 55LM6700 - Backlit LED
Samsung PN51E6500 Plasma

I would prefer it it was a Smart TV for the Plex streaming app alone that way I don't have to connect my phone or PS3 up anymore to stream.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 01-13-2013, 09:43 PM

Liked: 12
Jan and Feb usually have some pretty amazing deals for TVs, if you want to find the best deals, i suggest using Slickdeals.net (not trying to shameless promote them, they are just really good for deals). Users post good deals and they get upvoted to the front page for all to see. You can also setup notifications to alert to you for keywords (for example, when i wanted to buy a hard drive, i did a deal alert for "hard drive 4TB")

The past few black Fridays have been disappointing for anything but low-end TVs, next to nothing good went on sale. Since the super bowl is in Feb and new TVs are usually launched in March, now is when you will start to see the deals roll in. Both options you have selected are great TVs, i have heard a whole lot of praise for the 6700, 7600 and 8600 series LG TVs. I would also recommend you expand your search and add Sony TVs to that list, however, i don't think 2012 Sony TVs have that Plex streaming app you mentioned.

I have seen that 55 inch 6700 for under $800 and the 55LM7600 for under $900. You should also post this in the Plasma forums BTW, everyone here will favor LED tvs biggrin.gif

Good luck!
post #3 of 5 Old 01-22-2013, 08:05 AM

Liked: 11
Usually at the end of January and early February, there will be some brand promotional activities you can seize this opportunity if you did not buy the TV you want on Black Friday 1.gif Good luck !
post #4 of 5 Old 01-22-2013, 09:22 AM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregck View Post

I have seen that 55 inch 6700 for under $800 and the 55LM7600 for under $900. You should also post this in the Plasma forums BTW, everyone here will favor LED tvs biggrin.gif

Good luck!

Where did you find the 55LM7600 for under 900? I haven't seen it anywhere for less than $1300.
post #5 of 5 Old 01-22-2013, 01:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 236 Post(s)
Liked: 642
Quote:
Originally Posted by idknox View Post

Where did you find the 55LM7600 for under 900? I haven't seen it anywhere for less than $1300.

Correct. And when you *do* find it that low ($1300ish), it's almost always from a site with an absolutely *terrible* return policy. And that is just asking for trouble.

WARNING: You have now entered a no @#$%tard zone. Please gather your anti-vaccine propaganda nonsense and slowly back out the way you came in.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Great Found Deals!

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page