Frys: LG 55LM7600 ($1199) vs. 55LM6700 ($999) - Which is the better deal/TV? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 02-06-2013, 07:18 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Longtime lurker; can't remember if I've ever posted, so be nice....

Stopped by local Frys tonight and they had the 55LM7600 reduced to $1199, which "seems" like a great deal for that set. It's currently in the $1450 to $1500 range everywhere else. The 55LM6700 was marked down to $999, which is $100 less than my local Costco currently has it, and is $1200 to $1400 online.

Best I can tell, the primary difference between the two is the 6700 is "TruMotion 120hz" and the 7600 is "TruMotion 240hz".

First, is the bump from 120hz to 240hz worth the $200 bump in price? I've read some reviews that state the 6700 is actually a 60hz panel. This TV is for a rec room and will be used a lot for gaming, so I'm concerned about lag when gaming, and also motion when watching movies and sports. I'm also looking for passive 3D, so that I can make use of the "Dual Play" feature while gaming. Unless I'm mistaken, that pretty much leaves me with Vizio or LG as my choices at 55", with passive 3D.

Second, are there any of you who might comment on the quality of one or both of these TVs? Amazon has hundreds of reviews for each, and the average review is 4.2 stars, which seems pretty good.

These prices are good only through tomorrow. I'm "leaning" 7600 and figure I'll get it and set the box aside and see if I can come up with something better at or below this price in the next couple of weeks.

Any advice you can offer is greatly appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-06-2013, 10:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 685 Post(s)
Liked: 949
I'm following those models closely. As near as I can tell, the 7600 is a superior TV in PQ and yes, it's worth an additional $200.

However, be careful: the average rating of a product is not quite as meaningful a metric as you might think. Why?

Because with TV's, so very much ability is buried within the firmware, and the firmware changes over time.

For this reason alone, whenever you look at the reviews, SORT BY NEWEST and NOT by "most helpful". You'll sometimes see a dramatic change in the reviews, usually for the positive. However, sometimes for the negative as well, because TV manufacturers aren't immune to @#$%ing up a good thing. But it's the trend you want to get a-hold of.

You Frys guys piss me off. LOL. I don't have one nearby, so I cannot see if there are any of those in-store-only price drops available. I can't even use in-store pricing at Frys (or Crutchfield, HHGreg or nearly anyone) as a pricematch at Bestbuy because I'm not "close enough" to them to qualify for it. So pretty much it's either Amazon or nothing.

Amazon just slightly knocked the price down to $1409.97 (free shipping). Their return policy is typically stellar.

Java developers, when I saw what has been placed into Java 8 I was immediately reminded of how I've spent so much of my life trying to protect engineers from themselves. Lambda expressions are a horrible idea. Gentlemen: the goal isn't to make code readable for a competent mid-level engineer. The goal is to make code readable for a competent mid-level engineer exhausted and hopped up on caffeine at 3 am. What a disaster Java 8 is!
Old 02-07-2013, 04:28 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you for your comment. I agree with you on the reviews and the trend. I think I'm just going to pick up the 7600 today and give it a test drive. Frys has a 30 day return period, though they can be difficult on returns. With passive 3D, I am really limited in my options at 55". The LG 6700 and 7600, plus the Vizio M3D550KD (older, 240hz, better reviews) or M3D550KDE (newer, 120hz, cheaper, lower in quality). Are there other passive 3D sets I should be considering?

Any thoughts on the Vizio TVs?
Old 02-07-2013, 06:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BassAtl View Post

Thank you for your comment. I agree with you on the reviews and the trend. I think I'm just going to pick up the 7600 today and give it a test drive. Frys has a 30 day return period, though they can be difficult on returns. With passive 3D, I am really limited in my options at 55". The LG 6700 and 7600, plus the Vizio M3D550KD (older, 240hz, better reviews) or M3D550KDE (newer, 120hz, cheaper, lower in quality). Are there other passive 3D sets I should be considering?

One: The Panasonic ET5----the one and only 2012 pana that was passive. I'm in the same boat. In 2013 however, a few things happened: 1. Panasonic announced that for their LED-LCD's, *all* models that were previously active will be passive. This opens the doors to their higher-end stuff. 2. Sony (and this is huge) has very begrudgingly accepted that although they still strongly believe active is superior (it absolutely isn't), they've recognized what the public wants and are offering passive.

Quote:
Any thoughts on the Vizio TVs?

Yes. And I'm very harsh. The reviews that I've seen that are glowing smell like they're from people whom have upgraded from prior Vizios. When I spent a long time looking at feeds to the various Vizios in stores I just couldn't stand the picture: every pan looked like a blur. It wasn't judder. It wasn't "display motion blur" per se, as used to describe the frame to frame jump in LCD's. I know what those look like. It's different.

In all honesty though, I do know of people who hands-down love those TV's. So (and I'm sorry to give you such a cliche response:) YMMV. :-/

But further, I (and very many) are disappointed with LG's quality this year: they have flashlighting/edge-bleed at unacceptable levels in far far too many cases----so check dark scenes and 21:9 movies (black bars at the top) first. I'm also disappointed that the Panasonic IPS panels just don't seem to have the wide angle viewing that IPS is supposed to.

Sony's seem to have been more often without these issues.

Java developers, when I saw what has been placed into Java 8 I was immediately reminded of how I've spent so much of my life trying to protect engineers from themselves. Lambda expressions are a horrible idea. Gentlemen: the goal isn't to make code readable for a competent mid-level engineer. The goal is to make code readable for a competent mid-level engineer exhausted and hopped up on caffeine at 3 am. What a disaster Java 8 is!
Old 02-07-2013, 10:05 AM - Thread Starter

....really appreciate the advice.

I'll check out the Panasonic. My Panasonic plasma in my family room is simply fantastic. It's a lower end plasma, 60ST30 from last year, but I got it for $800 at Costco. Display model with only 200 hours on it. Beautiful.

I'm going to pick up the LM7600 today and give it a go. Might pick up a Vizio too, for side-by-side comparison.

I have DirecTV, and the DirecTV logo screen saver when on pause will be a good test of the black screen, as will the Pandora app. I'll give those a shot.

Unfortunately, I have to stick with the 2012 or even 2011 models, due to budget constraints.

Thanks again for your help.
Old 02-07-2013, 10:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

....really appreciate the advice.

I'll check out the Panasonic. My Panasonic plasma in my family room is simply fantastic. It's a lower end plasma, 60ST30 from last year, but I got it for $800 at Costco. Display model with only 200 hours on it. Beautiful.

I'm going to pick up the LM7600 today and give it a go. Might pick up a Vizio too, for side-by-side comparison.

I have DirecTV, and the DirecTV logo screen saver when on pause will be a good test of the black screen, as will the Pandora app. I'll give those a shot.

Unfortunately, I have to stick with the 2012 or even 2011 models, due to budget constraints.

Thanks again for your help.

You're not going to be able to draw any conclusions from the panasonic plasma you have. Panasonic plasmas have set the bar (especially since aquiring the pioneer kuro technology), and plasmas anyway are a tower of picture quality over nearly any LCD.

Old 02-07-2013, 10:20 AM

The 6700 is a good set, and was around $800 at Fry's late last year. For $200 extra, I'd go for the 7600, with true 240hz. It's the main benefit but I think it's worth it when watching sports.
Old 02-07-2013, 01:28 PM - Thread Starter

Just returned from Frys. LM6700 and LM7600 side by side. I went in the menus and changed both to "standard" mode, understanding there may be some differences from set to set. Nonetheless, with both on Standard, the 7600 was by far the better picture. Very obvious, even on the in-store feed, which is not very good. Deeper colors, significantly better blacks, and better detail. During a short, black screen the 7600 was deep black, and the 6700 was quite grey. Even my wife, who went begrudgingly, agreed that the 7600 was far better, and she hates to agree with me on anything. While there, I also looked at the Panasonic 55" LED, the L55ET5, which is their passive 3D set. It's on sale for $899. I found both the LG's superior to the Panasonic in picture quality, so much so that the $300 price difference between it and the LM7600 was not even a consideration.

For anyone that might be interested, the "Dual Play" 3D glasses for gaming are $19.99 at amazon, but currently on sale at Frys for $14.99 per pair.

I'll give it a good test drive before my return period expires. Who knows, maybe I'll get lucky and they'll have to price match someone with a lower clearance price. I'll probably go to Costco and pick up the Square Trade warranty once I decide if it's a keeper.

Thanks for your input.
Old 02-07-2013, 02:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Just returned from Frys. LM6700 and LM7600 side by side. I went in the menus and changed both to "standard" mode, understanding there may be some differences from set to set. Nonetheless, with both on Standard, the 7600 was by far the better picture. Very obvious, even on the in-store feed, which is not very good. Deeper colors, significantly better blacks, and better detail. During a short, black screen the 7600 was deep black, and the 6700 was quite grey. Even my wife, who went begrudgingly, agreed that the 7600 was far better, and she hates to agree with me on anything. While there, I also looked at the Panasonic 55" LED, the L55ET5, which is their passive 3D set. It's on sale for $899. I found both the LG's superior to the Panasonic in picture quality, so much so that the $300 price difference between it and the LM7600 was not even a consideration.

For anyone that might be interested, the "Dual Play" 3D glasses for gaming are $19.99 at amazon, but currently on sale at Frys for $14.99 per pair.

I'll give it a good test drive before my return period expires. Who knows, maybe I'll get lucky and they'll have to price match someone with a lower clearance price. I'll probably go to Costco and pick up the Square Trade warranty once I decide if it's a keeper.

Thanks for your input.

I don't know if this is really true or not, but I think that if you're a costco member the warranty is even better....make sure to ask them that because it might be *well* worth it to become a member just for this.

Old 02-09-2013, 02:03 PM

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgm1024 View Post

I don't know if this is really true or not, but I think that if you're a costco member the warranty is even better....make sure to ask them that because it might be *well* worth it to become a member just for this.

Costco warranty is cheaper than Best Buy. IIRC the costco warranty would be about $99 for this set. BUT.....I don't know what level of support you'll get. Every BB employee I talk to swears that with their warrenty if the tech comes out, and can't fix it, you'll get a new-equivelent tv.

Also, Costco has a 90 day return (and effectively price guaranty) policy.
Old 02-11-2013, 09:00 PM

Where are these prices? Called my local one and they quoted at1299.00 for the7600
Old 02-12-2013, 07:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by plasmanoob345 View Post

Where are these prices? Called my local one and they quoted at1299.00 for the7600

Your local what? Costco? Costco's drive me crazy with this. Be careful they didn't mean the 6700. Also, pretty much they don't offer LG except sporadically, and the 6700 is the only one of the mid to upper range that I ever saw there in person. And their website will not list it.

Old 02-12-2013, 08:02 AM

Meant to add Fry's.
Old 02-12-2013, 10:31 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 15
I got mine at Pacific Sales. They are mainly in the west. Owned by Best Buy, but ran so much better. Sales staff is very knowledgeable. I got mine two weeks ago with a free Energy sound bar, free delivery, setup and haul away. All for 1299.00. Good luck. Mine is not installed yet, waiting on my cabinet maker to finish cart to go with my entrainment center.smile.gif

LG 55 LM7600, LG BP 620, Yamaha RX-V 677, Direct TV HR24-200, NHT Classic Ten sub, TwoC Center, NHT Classic Three's Mains, NHT IC2 surrounds.
Old 02-13-2013, 04:08 PM - Thread Starter

If you go to frys web site and click on the "see this week's ads" link at the top, scroll through the pages and you will see an ad for the LM7600 eventually, with a MSRP of $2549 crossed out. It says call Frys to reserve or something along those lines. I went by the Alpharetta location here in Georgia, and the LM7600 had a price tag of $1199 for the past 2 weeks. New ads come out every Friday, so I know it's good through tomorrow at least. Perhaps there is some manager's discretion involved......?
Old 02-14-2013, 01:08 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 15
That's what they are at my local Fry's too.1299.00 I really dislike that store. Mine is in Concord CA (San Francisco Bay Area). With my deal at Pacific Sales they include delivery, setup and haul away. Fry's was going to charge for it. If you plan to take it with you and you know what you want Fry's might be oaky. If anyone lives near a Pacific Sales they should check them out. They guy at my store used to be a custom installer, very knowledgeable and patient. No pressure too.smile.gif

LG 55 LM7600, LG BP 620, Yamaha RX-V 677, Direct TV HR24-200, NHT Classic Ten sub, TwoC Center, NHT Classic Three's Mains, NHT IC2 surrounds.
Old 02-14-2013, 03:40 PM

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Perkins View Post

I got mine at Pacific Sales. They are mainly in the west. Owned by Best Buy, but ran so much better. Sales staff is very knowledgeable. I got mine two weeks ago with a free Energy sound bar, free delivery, setup and haul away. All for 1299.00. Good luck. Mine is not installed yet, waiting on my cabinet maker to finish cart to go with my entrainment center.smile.gif

Thats a really good deal. I'm out in northern virginia, and there's nothing like that around here. Paid $1399 for my 7600 (55") a week ago.
Old 02-15-2013, 08:28 PM

Liked: 11
Amazon is selling it for 1399 with 2% cash back, so it is 1371 total.
klopez3709 likes this.
Old 02-18-2013, 05:25 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by mengqi68 View Post

back up to 1499 now looks like I go with panny plasma for that price - or continue to wait untill everything is sold out seems like stock is dwindling pretty quick on any 55in models. What to do what to do ?

PS - I already have a old 42 in plasma and a Epson 8350 so thats why I keep waiting for that ( its too good to be true ) deal rolleyes.gif

Tom O.

Old 02-18-2013, 06:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcmountainman View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by mengqi68 View Post

back up to 1499 now looks like I go with panny plasma for that price - or continue to wait untill everything is sold out seems like stock is dwindling pretty quick on any 55in models. What to do what to do ?

PS - I already have a old 42 in plasma and a Epson 8350 so thats why I keep waiting for that ( its too good to be true ) deal rolleyes.gif

The reason it's ping-ponging like that is because of the marketplace vendor. Also, I noticed that everything thing has hopped up. The 8600 for instance jumped $450 overnight to $1899. It might be "the last hurrah" for them before the new releases, but frankly, I'm done trying to predict this whackjob market. It's not following what it used to do. Even black friday fell horribly flat.