Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Online:
cheaper
no tax
usually free 'white glove' delivery
BUT
wait for delivery
if it's damaged or you find it doesn't work right & they can't walk you through fixing it over the phone--they send you a box to ship it back? or???

Brick & Mortar
no wait
no delivery if you can fit it in your vehicle and can carry it in
you can take it back to the store if it doesn't work right & they can't walk you through fixing it over the phone.
many stores you can return for no reason or try one & take it back and get a different model
BUT
higher price
tax
unpredictable customer service if there is a problem

I'm about to buy a 60" LCD.

What to do??

Thanks!

Jaums
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 03-29-2013, 07:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaums View Post

Online:
cheaper
no tax
usually free 'white glove' delivery
BUT
wait for delivery
if it's damaged or you find it doesn't work right & they can't walk you through fixing it over the phone--they send you a box to ship it back? or???

Brick & Mortar
no wait
no delivery if you can fit it in your vehicle and can carry it in
you can take it back to the store if it doesn't work right & they can't walk you through fixing it over the phone.
many stores you can return for no reason or try one & take it back and get a different model
BUT
higher price
tax
unpredictable customer service if there is a problem

I'm about to buy a 60" LCD.

What to do??

Thanks!

Jaums

Or, get your online price, take to brick and motar store and see if they will price match!

Jeff
post #3 of 16 Old 04-01-2013, 05:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Liked: 563
Ditto.

Years ago stores would match other stores but absolutely nothing from the internet. And then, presumably once the internet started beating them to a pulp, they switched to price matching a select few. In the Best Buy case, it's Amazon (but not the marketplace vendors----it's your guess if they'll allow a marketplace vendor that "fulfilled by Amazon" though), newegg, and a few other ones.

Further, please check the return policy FIRST before ordering online! Almost all of the rock-bottom price sites (other than Amazon and a select *FEW* others) have horrible return policies and you'll get screwed if you're not careful.

What TV are you looking at, and where were you thinking of buying it?

Well vinnie97, one of the kindest and most helpful and respected members here, was banned for silly reasons. And now vinnie_RIP is banned as well. The mark of an inexperienced moderator is to forget that their role is one of resource, not one of petulant authority and further that the members are doing the forum organization a favor by being here, not the other way around. They know darn well they screwed up here.
post #4 of 16 Old 04-01-2013, 08:20 PM - Thread Starter

Liked: 11
You make good points thanks. Samsung un60f8000. Haven't figured out where from yet.
post #5 of 16 Old 08-01-2013, 10:37 AM
bsd

Liked: 10
I'm thinking of the same TV and having the same struggle in my head. Something to consider - all AUTHORIZED dealers, whether brick and mortar or online, seem to have the same price for that unit. The only question is whether they charge you tax. People can correct me if I'm wrong, but it seems like the $2800 is the lowest authorized dealers will go (with the extra Samsung freebies included). I've seen lower prices online, but I don't think they are authorized dealers, which calls into question the warranty.

I'm leaning toward buying at Best Buy. I'm not a big fan of the big box stores, but if I have a problem like a dead pixel, it seems easier to bring back. If you can't get the online stores to pay for return shipping, its just a gamble whether you think you will have a problem.

Another choice is to buy online and take an extended warranty program. With the tax savings, you are probably coming out ahead and you have an extended warranty. The only issue is that most of the extended warranty programs are great until you need to use them, and then you are fighting with them.

-Brett
post #6 of 16 Old 08-01-2013, 10:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Nothing can be smoother than returning through Amazon so long as you either

Bought *FROM* Amazon as the vendor

or Bought from a vendor that was "fulfilled by Amazon"

Well vinnie97, one of the kindest and most helpful and respected members here, was banned for silly reasons. And now vinnie_RIP is banned as well. The mark of an inexperienced moderator is to forget that their role is one of resource, not one of petulant authority and further that the members are doing the forum organization a favor by being here, not the other way around. They know darn well they screwed up here.
post #7 of 16 Old 08-01-2013, 11:02 AM

Liked: 37
When you buy online, you need to be there when it's delivered. Do not sign off until you've at least plugged it in and hooked up an input to check for obvious defects. That's what I did when buying from an outfit associated with Amazon (I forget the name now). The delivery guys may get impatient but that's tough. No signature and they gotta take it back. For a really big TV, it's understood that they have to help you bring it into your domicile anyway.

For example, EastCoastTVs tells you explicitly that it's up to you to check for any obvious defects, such as might happen due to damage during shipping. Once you sign, you have to deal with the manufacturer's warranty service.
post #8 of 16 Old 08-01-2013, 11:04 AM
AVS Special Member

^^^Vendors with THAT kind of return you should absolutely never use.

post #9 of 16 Old 08-02-2013, 05:59 AM

Absolutely? Well, some people will chance it for the sake of a rock-bottom price and no tax. Together, that might save one something like 10-20%.

I'm not recommending it, mind you. But when I was thinking about getting a 70" Sharp, I did consider EastCoastTVs. The price was attractive. I ended up getting a floor display from Wal-Mart at 30% off. tongue.gif I took that chance because I was able to get a very reasonably priced extended warranty from Sharp.

Anyway, if you buy online, do make sure you check for obvious damage and things like excessive flashlighting, etc...before you sign off.
post #10 of 16 Old 08-02-2013, 06:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fritzi93 View Post

Absolutely? Well, some people will chance it for the sake of a rock-bottom price and no tax. Together, that might save one something like 10-20%.

I'm not recommending it, mind you. But when I was thinking about getting a 70" Sharp, I did consider EastCoastTVs. The price was attractive. I ended up getting a floor display from Wal-Mart at 30% off. tongue.gif I took that chance because I was able to get a very reasonably priced extended warranty from Sharp.

Anyway, if you buy online, do make sure you check for obvious damage and things like excessive flashlighting, etc...before you sign off.

Ordering online (from a reputable dealer) is no more of a chance than buying from a B&M. Your Sharp wasn't manufactured at your local Walmart, it was shipped there. It was also transported to your home. Buying a floor model, which if on was in torch mode for at least 14 hours a day, is far more risky than buying a new TV online.
post #11 of 16 Old 08-02-2013, 06:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GatorJZ View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by fritzi93 View Post

Ordering online (from a reputable dealer) is no more of a chance than buying from a B&M. Your Sharp wasn't manufactured at your local Walmart, it was shipped there. It was also transported to your home. Buying a floor model, which if on was in torch mode for at least 14 hours a day, is far more risky than buying a new TV online.

Yes, but only if by "reputable" you mean:

• You can return a defective set past a certain size (I've seen the limit at 37" for some reason) once you've signed for receipt without being required to use the Manufacturer's warranty.
  • Return shipping is paid for.
  • There is no re-stocking fee.
  • They're not going over scrutinize your reasons or otherwise give you @#$% for any other reason.

These are not guaranteed by the uber-discount houses, and very often specifically warned about in their return policy.  BEWARE ALSO of the vendor that say "contact us for details on the return policy".  Beware, beware, beware.

post #12 of 16 Old 08-02-2013, 09:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Got my 65"4k Sony from Chris at CP. He's reputable by all measures. My set had bad light leaks in the bottom left and right corner. I contacted Sony and I'm getting a replacement directly from them. So it's not all bad to have to deal with the manufacturer after a sell. If anything, it makes those low prices look better.
post #13 of 16 Old 08-02-2013, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GatorJZ View Post

I'm not sure if I gave the wrong impression here. I got the 70" display from Wal-Mart at 30% off because I thought it a better deal. And so far all is well. If it outlasts the 4 yr warranty period (1 plus 3 extended), then dies, it was still a good deal. I'll be ready for something else by then. If it dies *within* the warranty period, even better. Sure, buying a floor model is risky. (So is buying from outfits like ECTV, which is TGM's point, though I don't want to put words in his mouth.)

Shipping had nothing to do with it. It wouldn't have figured in my decision if I *had* bought from ECTV. (Anyway, I took the Sharp home in my truck).cool.gif

Like I said, I bought a 65" TV (LG 65LW6500) through an Amazon affiliate. I checked everything I reasonably could and signed off. Didn't have to test Amazon's return policy, so I dunno. Surely, it's best to not have to.
post #14 of 16 Old 08-14-2013, 03:53 PM

Liked: 13
I am jumping in here but it is a burning question that has not been answered elsewhere.

I just bought an LG 55LA6900 from Amazon. It is to be delivered Monday. This is my first online purchase of an HDTV.

I have read of Amazon's "enhanced" delivery. Is the delivery personnel going to wait/help while I unbox it, attach the base, connect at least 1 HDMI source and power it up to verify it is operational? All BEFORE I sign off on delivery?

Who is Amazon's carrier? UPS? I have never heard of UPS personnel doing this so is it typical for HDTV deliveries by UPS?

Thanks in advance!
post #15 of 16 Old 08-14-2013, 04:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muad Dib View Post

I am jumping in here but it is a burning question that has not been answered elsewhere.

I just bought an LG 55LA6900 from Amazon. It is to be delivered Monday. This is my first online purchase of an HDTV.

I have read of Amazon's "enhanced" delivery. Is the delivery personnel going to wait/help while I unbox it, attach the base, connect at least 1 HDMI source and power it up to verify it is operational? All BEFORE I sign off on delivery?

Who is Amazon's carrier? UPS? I have never heard of UPS personnel doing this so is it typical for HDTV deliveries by UPS?

Thanks in advance!

This caused quite a bit of confusion for me a few others a couple months back.

Muad Dib likes this.

post #16 of 16 Old 08-14-2013, 04:53 PM

Liked: 13

Thank you VERY much! Your experience and information addresses all of my confusion/concerns to a "T".

If they just want to unbox it and do a power-on test I can live with that. Does not really test the TV functions but I can see Amazon's point of not assuming liability for cable connections to external devices of "unknown" operability.

If they want to assist me in connecting the base and placing it on the stand that is fine too. But I agree with you on using a power tool to attach a base with 4 screws (yes I have already downloaded and read most of the User Manual). I will do the screwing around... smile.gif

I have read other posts where some suggest they might/might not help with the base so I will find out soon enough.

I am glad they will do/assist with the unbox, visual inspection and power on test. Hopefully that will minimize any chance of a DOA due to shipping damage.

Any chance I can get them to haul away a non-functioning Samsung HLS5687W.... wink.gif

Thanks again!
Reply LCD Flat Panel Great Found Deals!

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page