Sony XBRHX950 BEST DEAL!! - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 04-24-2013, 11:59 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I just got an awesome deal, I purchased a 65" about a week and a half ago and since then i've been eye balling the 65" 4K from Sony. Well last night I got on the internet , wentbto Beet Buy .com and noticed that the TV in which I paid $5,600.00 for was no longer at that price. I could not believe the drastic price difference

So I woke up this morning and hauled ass to Best Buy, got an $1,845.00 refund then purchased another one for $3,788.00.

BTW, I purchased a Samsung 60" 7500 series and did not like it one bit so i returned it.. Then I went back and purchased the supposed amazing Panasonic Viera VT 50 but that was not a good tv either so I returned it. Then about a month and a half ago I was in Dallas and decided to go to the Sony store and as I walked in they had the sony XBR65HX950 and I was blown away. hands down that in my opinion is the best TV on the market.

To make a short story long I Effing love this TV so much I bought 2. Forget about the 4K for now lol
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-24-2013, 12:04 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 13
I tried to purchase the 65HX950 at my local Best Buy, but they're not available in my area. The web site has Coming Soon, even though it's being cleared out for the new 4k models. I think they're just trying to blow out their extremely limited stock, if you can even find one.
Old 04-24-2013, 12:22 PM - Thread Starter

Happened to me you need to ask them to check their warehouse inventory and that will give them access to be able to order it. In other words you can go directly to customer service and ask them to do a special order that's what I did and it worked because I asked them to see if they had it in stock and they went ahead and just checked their online website and told me that they did not have any in stock but when I asked customer service they were able to order it for me. Sprry for the run on sentences i used SIRI lol
Old 04-24-2013, 12:40 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 13
They did check the warehouse inventory, but there was nothing available. He tried a couple different routes to find one that was available.
Old 04-24-2013, 04:12 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 19
I think I got the last one in Florida. Just ordered from BB today. Being delivered Friday.
Old 04-24-2013, 04:19 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MastaMind View Post

They did check the warehouse inventory, but there was nothing available. He tried a couple different routes to find one that was available.
That sucks :/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolen_it_Up View Post

I think I got the last one in Florida. Just ordered from BB today. Being delivered Friday.
That's bad ass, did you order it today!? Believe me you're gonna love it the picture quality, brightness, contrast etc is really good out of the box. The movies don't look fake they look great. In my opinion.. Of course everybody might have a different opinion but I absolutely love it.
Old 04-24-2013, 05:40 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 19
I did order it today thanks to this thread. So thank you for your help in getting an amazing deal on this tv.
w219cls55 likes this.
Old 04-24-2013, 05:51 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolen_it_Up View Post

I did order it today thanks to this thread. So thank you for your help in getting an amazing deal on this tv.

You're quite welcome!!
Old 04-25-2013, 01:13 PM
RKA

US Appliance was selling these last week for $38XX (free ship). You have to get to the last page of their checkout to see the discount in the cart (after the CC info is entered but before you submit the order). I'm not sure if it's still available. I was able to get Amazon to price match since I prefer to do business with them.
Old 04-25-2013, 02:00 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKA View Post

US Appliance was selling these last week for $38XX (free ship). You have to get to the last page of their checkout to see the discount in the cart (after the CC info is entered but before you submit the order). I'm not sure if it's still available. I was able to get Amazon to price match since I prefer to do business with them.

That's a good deal!! But since I'm a premier silver member with Best Buy iI have 60 days to return and also get free calibration and in home installation.
Old 04-25-2013, 05:41 PM

Great post. Just picked up a like new open box with only 40 hrs on the panel for $2999. Was going to get a Sammy f8500 but couldn't pass this up.
Old 04-25-2013, 05:59 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by vaio23 View Post

Great post. Just picked up a like new open box with only 40 hrs on the panel for $2999. Was going to get a Sammy f8500 but couldn't pass this up.

Wow that is a great deal!! Please tell me how you like...
Old 04-29-2013, 11:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 689 Post(s)
Liked: 951
The Marlborough MA store has one that he said will normally cost you $3500 but is now $3000 (it's a floor model----been on their magnolia wall for 4-5 months and powered down every night.)

No, I don't work for BB. Search my posts: I bust on them a lot. wink.gif

Java developers, when I saw what has been placed into Java 8 I was immediately reminded of how I've spent so much of my life trying to protect engineers from themselves. Lambda expressions are a horrible idea. Gentlemen: the goal isn't to make code readable for a competent mid-level engineer. The goal is to make code readable for a competent mid-level engineer exhausted and hopped up on caffeine at 3 am. What a disaster Java 8 is!
Old 04-29-2013, 12:36 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgm1024 View Post

The Marlborough MA store has one that he said will normally cost you $3500 but is now $3000 (it's a floor model----been on their magnolia wall for 4-5 months and powered down every night.)

So did you buy it???

Old 04-29-2013, 06:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KONICA TECH View Post

Quote:

So did you buy it???

No. I detest active 3D so much that I "pass"d. smile.gif Actually, passive 3D is the only reason I'm considering Sony again. And will Samsung and Sharp when they also cave.

Still hurts me thinking about though. Go and call them before I change my mind. Just (as always) make sure that it's a 950----that's the part of the conversation I didn't quadruple check.

Java developers, when I saw what has been placed into Java 8 I was immediately reminded of how I've spent so much of my life trying to protect engineers from themselves. Lambda expressions are a horrible idea. Gentlemen: the goal isn't to make code readable for a competent mid-level engineer. The goal is to make code readable for a competent mid-level engineer exhausted and hopped up on caffeine at 3 am. What a disaster Java 8 is!
Old 04-29-2013, 06:35 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Quote:

No. I detest active 3D so much that I "pass"d. smile.gif Actually, passive 3D is the only reason I'm considering Sony again. And will Samsung and Sharp when they also cave.

Still hurts me thinking about though. Go and call them before I change my mind. Just (as always) make sure that it's a 950----that's the part of the conversation I didn't quadruple check.

I saw that set and it is a 950 and it looks stunning but the price is $75.00 higher than you quoted and has no remote / manuel that comes with the set. Allen, the salesman you spoke with told me you were there. I would prefer spending that amount ,or a bit more with a new in box complete TV.  I guess I am just cheap, but they would have to lower the price....

Old 04-29-2013, 06:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KONICA TECH View Post

Quote:

I saw that set and it is a 950 and it looks stunning but the price is $75.00 higher than you quoted and has no remote / manuel that comes with the set. Allen, the salesman you spoke with told me you were there. I would prefer spending that amount ,or a bit more with a new in box complete TV.  I guess I am just cheap, but they would have to lower the price....

He told you $3075?????? Huh. And that's weird this world being this small. And that's weird that he remembered my online handle. YOU aren't that Allen are you? smile.gif

Why would the price suddenly go up $75? <---- that's the part I really don't get. It's odd to make a mistake with such a round number as $3000.

FWIW (nothing) he was using a remote with it when I was there. I prefer manuals online----they theoretically can contain fixes over the printed version.

Old 04-29-2013, 10:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 29
I would say to everyone that wants one get them as they are getting difficult to find. None at any BB's here in the NJ area, no demos or stock. PC Richards here in NJ does have a few in stock, but will not match BB's price.

Panasonic TC-P65ZT60
Sharp Elite 70X5FD
Oppo BDP-103D
Pioneer Elite SC-07, SC-05 Receivers
Martin Logan Ascents
Rotel RMB 985MKII
NHT VT-2.4 Surround System
Velodyne DD-18 Pair
Old 04-30-2013, 08:06 AM
AVS Special Member

It really is a picture to drool over. Even at 65" up close I was knocked out of my socks.

Of course, I'm not overlooking the fact that it's in a pitch-black Magnolia room with nothing casting a specular reflection, etc. But holy moley was that thing nice.

Old 05-07-2013, 05:25 PM

Liked: 11
FYI, Best Buy may be out but the Sony stores are offering it at the same $3499 price and may have some for those still searching. Just came from my Sony Outlet store in Waltham MA and they still had a few.
Old 05-07-2013, 07:25 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

It really is a picture to drool over. Even at 65" up close I was knocked out of my socks.

Of course, I'm not overlooking the fact that it's in a pitch-black Magnolia room with nothing casting a specular reflection, etc. But holy moley was that thing nice.

It is an amazing picture I love mine!!biggrin.gif
Old 05-07-2013, 09:12 PM

Folks, I have a brand new one sitting in the box. Got it as a gift, but got a bigger TV. Comes with 2 active 3D glasses as well.
I am located in Southern California if anyone is interested. Prefer local trade. PM for serious buyers only.
Old 05-07-2013, 09:56 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 529 Post(s)
Liked: 693
Old 05-08-2013, 07:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jyeh74 View Post

Folks, I have a brand new one sitting in the box. Got it as a gift, but got a bigger TV. Comes with 2 active 3D glasses as well.
I am located in Southern California if anyone is interested. Prefer local trade. PM for serious buyers only.

I'm wondering. Are such things that are still in box unopened (?) eligible for SquareTrade new warranties, or do they have to be the used ones that are limited to a single year? At least that's how Amazon sets it up for used equipment: I don't think they have one extending past the year.

Old 05-20-2013, 07:25 PM

By my user name you can tell I have come a long way. smile.gif

Was waiting out for a 65ZT60 but when I learned it 's now expected in late July at ABT. The next day I unfortunately walked into a best buy a few weeks ago JUST to see if they had a ZT50 or even a left over VT50. I noticed a really nice tv on display right next to a 55vt60... it made the VT look dim by comparison. it turned out to be a 65hx950.

The worst part was it was on sale as a display model for $3000. I said I'd think about it. It was in a part of town where if it hadn't gone already it wouldn't be going anywhere soon.

Last Saturday I got an email about a BB memorial day sale and they had an additional 10% off open box items... I called the sales guy and he said he give me that discount - actually he might be able to do a bit better.

So I got it for like $2599 + tax. Delivery is included. Box is missing, no manual, a slightly scratched remote, and the ring stand was slightly scratched up - but I'll be mounting it.

Didn't notice anything unusual in a normal daytime scene that was playing. no SOE, no banding, etc. Just looked great.

Didn't get a chance to try out harry potter or any other reference dvd dark scenes on the set. Did check out the view from the side (~85 degrees) and it was more than I'll ever need to practically view a movie. I'm happy if it was 45 degrees from center which this does easily.

Not sure if this is wishful thinking but, I think its a safe set since its been sitting on a floor turned on and off everyday for the last 5 - 6 months . I doubt BB would leave a set out that had any obvious visible issues. Seem fair?

Couple of questions:

BB wants $500 for 5 year extended warranty. I checked and SquareTrade they would NOT cover the set since they consider the tv an open box item and would NOT let me buy there warranty through Costco.

Are there any alternatives for extended warranties?

Do I even need a extended warranty on the set?

It comes with a standard 1 year warranty form Sony. Is that enough?

Can I assume, since its been on the floor for atleast a few months, that its a proven set?

I have 15 days from the moment it arrives in my home to return it.

How often do these screen get dead pixels? Is there anything that people can do to avoid dead pixels?

Also curious if i'm sitting 10 -15 ft away how obvious is a single dead pixel? I've seen it on my old laptop but its much closer to my face but has a higher resolution.

Thank in advance for any help.

-George
Old 05-20-2013, 07:29 PM

Forgot to mention the hx950 wasn't in the Magnolia center but just outside with plenty of other sets and light. I was still drawn to its brightness.
Old 05-20-2013, 07:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GJVT60 View Post

By my user name you can tell I have come a long way. smile.gif

Was waiting out for a 65ZT60 but when I learned it 's now expected in late July at ABT. The next day I unfortunately walked into a best buy a few weeks ago JUST to see if they had a ZT50 or even a left over VT50. I noticed a really nice tv on display right next to a 55vt60... it made the VT look dim by comparison. it turned out to be a 65hx950.

The worst part was it was on sale as a display model for $3000. I said I'd think about it. It was in a part of town where if it hadn't gone already it wouldn't be going anywhere soon.

Last Saturday I got an email about a BB memorial day sale and they had an additional 10% off open box items... I called the sales guy and he said he give me that discount - actually he might be able to do a bit better.

So I got it for like $2599 + tax. Delivery is included. Box is missing, no manual, a slightly scratched remote, and the ring stand was slightly scratched up - but I'll be mounting it.

Didn't notice anything unusual in a normal daytime scene that was playing. no SOE, no banding, etc. Just looked great.

Didn't get a chance to try out harry potter or any other reference dvd dark scenes on the set. Did check out the view from the side (~85 degrees) and it was more than I'll ever need to practically view a movie. I'm happy if it was 45 degrees from center which this does easily.

Not sure if this is wishful thinking but, I think its a safe set since its been sitting on a floor turned on and off everyday for the last 5 - 6 months . I doubt BB would leave a set out that had any obvious visible issues. Seem fair?

Couple of questions:

BB wants $500 for 5 year extended warranty. I checked and SquareTrade they would NOT cover the set since they consider the tv an open box item and would NOT let me buy there warranty through Costco.

Are there any alternatives for extended warranties?

Do I even need a extended warranty on the set?

It comes with a standard 1 year warranty form Sony. Is that enough?

Can I assume, since its been on the floor for atleast a few months, that its a proven set?

I have 15 days from the moment it arrives in my home to return it.

How often do these screen get dead pixels? Is there anything that people can do to avoid dead pixels?

Also curious if i'm sitting 10 -15 ft away how obvious is a single dead pixel? I've seen it on my old laptop but its much closer to my face but has a higher resolution.

Thank in advance for any help.

-George

Unfortunately, dead pixels/subpixels are things I always see almost right away and can never seem to look past. To get a sense as to what things look like, you need to be aware of the FOV (Field of View) of the screen, and if you want to get really techie: the pixel.

Consider this---let's start with an unusual scenario: your laptop with a dead pixel was ironically the same resolution as that XBR you just bought (1920x1080). Sitting on your couch looking at your tv, but holding that wounded laptop screen in your hands, move the laptop closer or further away until the size of its screen appears to be the same size as the TV. At that point the FOV of the screen (and of each pixel) is the same for both the TV and the laptop. And that's the point where a dead laptop pixel has the same effect on you as a dead TV pixel.

So say your laptop isn't 1920 across, but 1280. So move it closer or further from you until the width of your laptop screen is visually 2/3rds the width of the XBR screen. Then the pixels of both are visually the same size, and the effect of a dead pixel in one has the same impact as a dead pixel in the other.

BTW, was this XBR in Marlborough MA?

Old 05-20-2013, 08:30 PM

the set was in Chicago.

had the screen much closer than normal laptop viewing distance even and I was focusing on the screen not the actual movie. There was a smudge or something that caught my eye.

I guess I'm trying to figure out my risk is in the worst case scenario - if I find one or two dead pixels - is it something that can be overlooked since I'll normally be 10 - 12 feet away from the screen.

yeah I've heard of a pixel ... back in the day when I was learning graphics / ray tracing. smile.gif

thnx
Old 05-21-2013, 07:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GJVT60 View Post

the set was in Chicago.

had the screen much closer than normal laptop viewing distance even and I was focusing on the screen not the actual movie. There was a smudge or something that caught my eye.

The smudge might be a form of DSE, and I don't think that's acceptable for that particular uber TV (IMHO).

However, the "much closer than normal laptop viewing distance" comment I think might be missing the point I'm making.

What I'm trying to point out is that a dead pixel is absolutely as obvious as a dead pixel on a laptop for normal viewing despite whatever ridiculous eye-acuity charts keep being floated around.

The proof to this would be to sit on a couch staring at the screen with your laptop in your hands stretched out in front of you until the pixels of the laptop are the same apparent size as the pixels of the screen. The dead laptop pixel will almost certainly be glaring. Without getting into insane optics arguments, this is a good enough demonstration of how a dead screen pixel will absolutely be as glaring as hell.

Keep in mind one other thing. It'll be glaring as hell for another reason, for the same reason that DSE is. It will be sewn to a location on the screen and as your eyes try to track a panning scene, the dot will stay put. This is perfect fodder for the eye's edge detection machine to go into overdrive in identifying even a very small object.

Old 05-21-2013, 08:16 AM

by "smudge on the screen", i meant on the laptop screen not a TV and it was just a "real" smudge by a greasy finger. smile.gif

I get what you were trying to explain... thanks.

Tags
Sony Xbr 55hx950 Bravia Led Hdtv , Sony Xbr 65hx950 65 Inch Bravia Led Hdtv