HELP Vizio 70 - E701i-A3 Or Sharp 70 - LC70LE640U - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 04-26-2013, 04:46 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello,

I am looking to buy one of these LEDs for my main set in my living room. I have read the threads and ironically still cannot make up my mind. I was hoping some of you can offer some advice on which is the better set overall and which one will last the best against my 4 little kids! They will be gaming, watching a ton of blu rays and network TV. Any advice is much appreciated!

Thank you!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 04-26-2013, 05:24 AM

Liked: 37
I was in a similar situation and chose the Sharp. Had it for almost three weeks now and don't regret it one little bit.

Some pros off the top of my head, in no particular order:

- The screen is *not* highly reflective. Sort of semi-gloss at most. That's one of the biggest gripes I have with my LG 65LW6500, now in the living room where the screen is less annoying.
- Uniformity is pretty good for an edge-lit LCD/LED, mine is anyway. Again, better than my LG.
- Viewing angle is approx 45 degrees each way from dead center before you can detect any color washout. Good enough for my HT, and I was a little surprised, since some have commented on its poor viewing angles. Comparable to my LG's (IPS panel) viewing angles.
- Plays H.264 MKVs direct from external powered (ntfs formatted) hard drive just fine, and recognizes chapter timings.
- Can output AC3 5.1 surround over optical out. That setting is in System Options under Terminal Settings, not under Audio as you'd expect.
- Decent native contrast ratio (2,200 according to one test I read). Not to pick on LG so much, but my 65LW6500 has a native contrast ratio of 1,600. It makes a considerable difference.
- Motion interpolation (which I happen to like) is good, better than my LG.
- Can be finely calibrated. I don't think the Vizio has so full a range of controls, IIRC.
- The logo ( a lambda or inverted V) is at bottom center, not bright or obtrusive, and can be disabled. Useful though in knowing when the set is on and inputs inactive.
- It's big. You wouldn't think 5 extra inches would make much difference, but it does, to me. My viewing distance is ~ 8 feet in my home theater.

Pretty good set for the price. They're getting scarce though. Worse comes to worst, East Coast TVs could probably get one NIB for you. Mine was a display model with a steep markdown I picked up from Wal-Mart. Got a 3 year extended warranty at the Sharp website for less than $120 bucks (based on price paid).

Good luck whatever you get.
post #3 of 7 Old 04-26-2013, 07:31 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you for the response and advice. Was the Vizio even on your list of possibles? If not why?
post #4 of 7 Old 04-26-2013, 07:58 AM

Yes, I looked at it and read the same threads. It's even probable they use the same Sharp X-Gen panel. 70" panels are not common, nor are they made by many manufacturers.

Seeing the TVs in Wal-Mart is hardly an ideal way to compare the sets, obviously. I basically discounted that as they both looked as okay as one could expect under bright fluorescent lighting.

I think the calibration options matter. Standard is not too bad, but the calibrations posted on the dedicated thread are a worthwhile improvement. Processing matters too. I suspect the processing in the Sharp is better, though I have nothing to back that up. It's certain, however, that Sharp has put out sets with top notch processing (the Elites), and I should think their base sets will also have good processing.

I have nothing against Vizio especially, but note that they assemble TVs from parts purchased from suppliers, and SFAIK, make none of their own parts. So who knows if they skimp on some parts, like, say, capacitors. Or how good their processing algorithms are.

Customer service seems to me overall to be rated poor for Vizio, and excellent for Sharp. From what I have gathered over the years here, at any rate.

Good luck.
post #5 of 7 Old 04-26-2013, 12:38 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you!!!
post #6 of 7 Old 05-06-2013, 09:12 AM

Liked: 11
I just came back from Walmart...wasn't really tv shopping but they had the LC70LE640U for $1450 as the display model and it kind of got me...well....thinking about tv shopping! Do you remember what you paid...or even what they would cost new in box I have no idea if that it a good deal or not. I would definitely want to do an extended warranty like you did, that tv has probably been on 16 hours a day for who knows how many months.

Regards,
Derek
post #7 of 7 Old 05-10-2013, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by derekhonda View Post

I just came back from Walmart...wasn't really tv shopping but they had the LC70LE640U for $1450 as the display model and it kind of got me...well....thinking about tv shopping! Do you remember what you paid...or even what they would cost new in box I have no idea if that it a good deal or not. I would definitely want to do an extended warranty like you did, that tv has probably been on 16 hours a day for who knows how many months.

Regards,
Derek

Sorry, I somehow missed getting an email notification of a new post on this thread, even though I'm subscribed to it.

The showroom display I got was $1,848, less a 30% markdown. My receipt shows $1,293.60 plus tax.

I got a 3-year extended warranty at the Sharp website when I registered it. The price of the warranty was based on price paid, and was less than $120 bucks. They call it a "promo" warranty, dunno why, but I couldn't find another extended warranty that could approach that one. I presume if I ever have a claim, coverage will go up to price paid and no more. So anything major would probably mean a re-reimbursement rather than, say, a new TV or panel replacement. Fine by me.

Last time I saw the 640U at East Coast TV's website, it was $1,729 IIRC, free shipping and no tax if you're in NJ, which was rock-bottom blowout price. They aren't showing any now, but have its replacement, the 650, for $1,929. Only significant difference I can see from the specs is a dual-core processor in the new one. I suppose that would make the SmartTV functions a bit snappier. Since I use an HTPC, that's of no consequence to me.

Good luck.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Great Found Deals!

Tags
Sharp Lc70le640u 70 Inch Led Tv , Vizio E701i A3 Led Hdtv , Sharp Lc 70le640u 70 Inch Led Lit Internet Tv
Gear in this thread

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page