Vizio XVT553SV - "Smooth Motion Effect" is grayed-out. - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 05-18-2013, 03:17 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I cannot change the "smooth motion effect" setting on the Vizio XVT553SV. In fact, I cannot even select it--the menu selection simply skips over it. Presently, it is set as "Middle", which is grayed-out. One would expect the reason for a grayed-out setting to be caused by another setting that disables it. However, I cannot find that setting, and the user manual is no help.

Ideas?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 06-10-2013, 09:00 AM

Liked: 13
Most likely you have Game Mode turned on. I believe this setting is located one level outside of the picture settings.

How do you like the TV? Do you use the local dimming feature? I find the local dimming on this set to cause A LOT of flash lighting.
post #3 of 6 Old 06-12-2013, 08:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 532 Post(s)
Liked: 868
Quote:
Originally Posted by lothian1 View Post

I cannot change the "smooth motion effect" setting on the Vizio XVT553SV. In fact, I cannot even select it--the menu selection simply skips over it. Presently, it is set as "Middle", which is grayed-out. One would expect the reason for a grayed-out setting to be caused by another setting that disables it. However, I cannot find that setting, and the user manual is no help.

Ideas?

You'll get a much better response over here in the LCD forum.

Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent. Unless, of course, it's to keep someone from creating a phone video in portrait mode, in which case it's a pretty good first step. Portrait mooks: KNOCK IT OFF.
post #4 of 6 Old 06-12-2013, 09:27 AM

Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by lothian1 View Post

Ideas?

Yes, change the picture mode. Try "Custom".
post #5 of 6 Old 06-12-2013, 02:10 PM

Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by NINEraser View Post

Most likely you have Game Mode turned on. I believe this setting is located one level outside of the picture settings.

How do you like the TV? Do you use the local dimming feature? I find the local dimming on this set to cause A LOT of flash lighting.

I have the 37" version and I am constantly amazed at just how good this TV is. I've had my eye on the new 40" M series (to replace it in my guest bedroom/home office. As much as I'd like the larger screen, I would be very pleasantly surprised if the picture was as good. I leave the "local" dimming off as well. You can not have true local dimming on an edge lit display. This feature, on a good day, is a compromise....it is usually a negative IMO.
post #6 of 6 Old 03-31-2014, 10:49 AM - Thread Starter

Liked: 10
Quote:
NINEraser: "How do you like the TV?"
Quote:
GatorJZ "...I am constantly amazed at just how good this TV is."

Short answer: I do NOT like this TV... at all. This was my first--and last--VIZIO.

Consistent favorable reviews, a very competitive price, and 'zero-percent-over-24-months' financing from a reseller seemed enough to persuade me to purchase this brand which hitherto I had scoffed at. I won't make that mistake again. Why?

- Mediocre image quality
Go figure! Nearly every professional and anecdotal review about the Vizio XVT553SV raves about the photo-like image quality, HD resolution, and deep blacks. I see none of it. My experience is that full 1080p images are muted. Worse, dark scenes in movies are rendered nearly unwatchable from the haloing effect of the much ballyhooed local dimming. Believe me: I would absolutely love to see this model of TV demonstrated to me as described by those whose claims are full of hyperbole. This suggests to me that VIZIO product quality insofar as consistency is concerned varies considerably between units, even within the same model.

- Frequent reboot
The Vizio XVT553SV will spontaneously power itself off, typically when using streaming services, after which one must endure some indeterminate cycle of the "Blinking VIZIO logo" before the TV resumes normalcy.

- Limited App selection
A measly dozen apps exist for this TV; though to be fair, they cover the most prominent services.

- Atrociously slow app menus
One typically select thru three confirmations before a given app opens to its main selection menu. And once within a given app, movement and selection suffers from shuddering and delay, followed by time-consuming menu "loading".

- No DNLA support
Those with gigs of home streaming content are SOL; the Vizio XVT553SV does not support DNLA. VIZIO seems to have no intention of offering it as part of a future firmware upgrade.

- Buggy remote, chronically prone to failure
One item VIZIO owners seem to commiserate over is the lousy quality of the remote. Forums are replete with anecdotes of faulty remotes, and VIZIO customer service standard response (essentially "tough noogies") concerning them. Peruse for yourself, presuming you arent personally affected already.

I've endured my Vizio XVT553SV for two years; I've had two warranty issues: a kludgy motherboard (to fix the "popping problem"; look it up on YouTube) and the de rigour faulty remote--both of which VIZIO resolved without charge. This model TV--perhaps this specific unit--is crap. Fair or not, I'm not buying another VIZIO.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Great Found Deals!

Tags
Vizio Xvt553sv 55 Inch Truled Lcd Hdtv
Gear in this thread

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page