TV Mount Question - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 06-29-2013, 09:00 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am finishing my basement and I am looking to eventually get a 60" to 70" TV to hang on the wall. I would like to pick out a fully articulating wall mount for that size TV that I can get for a decent price. We would like the TV to sit out from the wall. Right now the wall is open so I can reinforce it any way I want and I also want my wiring to be compatible with the mount.

Anyone have any suggestions for a good cheap mount that I dont have to worry about an expensive TV being on? I looked at monoprice mounts but the one I wanted is currently out of stock and not due in until August. I have also heard issues with build quality on their fully articulating mounts. Amazon has some really cheap Cheetah mounts rated to 165lbs but I can find no information on them. Any help is appreciated.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-30-2013, 07:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by kuip64 View Post

I am finishing my basement and I am looking to eventually get a 60" to 70" TV to hang on the wall. I would like to pick out a fully articulating wall mount for that size TV that I can get for a decent price. We would like the TV to sit out from the wall. Right now the wall is open so I can reinforce it any way I want and I also want my wiring to be compatible with the mount.

Anyone have any suggestions for a good cheap mount that I dont have to worry about an expensive TV being on? I looked at monoprice mounts but the one I wanted is currently out of stock and not due in until August. I have also heard issues with build quality on their fully articulating mounts. Amazon has some really cheap Cheetah mounts rated to 165lbs but I can find no information on them. Any help is appreciated.

Thanks

Don't cheap out on the mount. Especially if mounting a 70 inch display.

http://www.wayfair.com/Dyconn-IronArm-XL-Dual-Arm-Articulating-TV-Wall-Mount-IA852-DYW1001.html

http://www.amazon.com/Dyconn-IA852-IronArm-32-Inch-70-Inch/dp/B005LS29R8

http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=108&cp_id=10828&cs_id=1082806&p_id=8254&seq=1&format=1#largeimage
Old 06-30-2013, 10:06 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Thanks myoda, but are you suggesting the monoprice mount as a good option? That is the one I have been looking at but was worried since it is $200 less then other models (including the mount in the first link you posted).
Old 06-30-2013, 11:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by kuip64 View Post

Thanks myoda, but are you suggesting the monoprice mount as a good option? That is the one I have been looking at but was worried since it is $200 less then other models (including the mount in the first link you posted).

All i'm saying is that you get what you pay for. If I spent 3k on a set, I would not spend 60 dollars for a mount.

The briacing is much better.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/SmartMount+Articulating+Wall+Arm+for+Most+37%22+-+71%22+Flat-Panel+TVs/1112839.p?id=1218224065907&skuId=1112839&st=articulating%20tv%20wall%20mount&cp=1&lp=6

You can spend less, but you get a limited range of movement.

Reviews were not that great for the monprice mount:

http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=108&cp_id=10828&cs_id=1082806&p_id=8254&seq=1&format=4#feedback

DON'T BUY THIS PARTICULAR MOUNT
Pros: None. The good news is that Monoprice sells several mounts that ARE strong enough. Buy one of those. I recommend that Monoprice discontinue selling this mount all together.

Cons: WAY, WAY too weak. Avoid.

This particular mount is nowhere near strong enough to support a large TV. Excessive twisting and bending occurred with a 60" Samsung plasma. Plus, just touching the TV when the mount was extended made it bounce up and down like it was hanging from a spring. I was concerned that the mount might break and drop the TV. I unmounted the TV immediatly after installation. It is that weak. This is the only product I have purchased from Monoprice that I hated

not strong enough
Pros: The unit seems well designed and the swivel and tilt functions seem to work very well

Cons: I bought this mount for a 65" plasma that weighs 123.5 lbs, which is within the specs listed for this unit (up to 70 " and 175 lbs). Upon attaching the TV to the mount, the whole arm bowed and flexed down like a wilted flower! This mount is not strong enough to support a TV this heavy. I'm not planning on returning this mount because I have a 32 inch TV that it should work very well with. I was very dissapointed when this mount did not live up to its advertised capibilities

Pros: This one arm tilt bracket is easy to install and with help from a third person, It's easy to attach the TV to the bracket on the wall and secure with one locking screw.

Cons: This one arm tilt bracket should not be used for any TV weighing more than 100 pounds.
It's supposed to hold up to a 175 pound TV, but it can not even support my TV that weighs 135 pounds.
I would not recommend this one arm bracket for any TV that weighs more than 100 pounds and that's even a stretch! It's now holding my TV, but It's sagging so much I have a coffee table and books under it to support it until I can find another two helpers to remove it and reinstall another bracket that is supposed to hold up to 200 pounds and it is a two arm bracket, which should be adequate. But after all of the trouble its been and all the time and future trouble ahead to remove the big TV, remove the sagging bracket, then reinstall the heavier bracket, the get two more helpers to finally get my TV up, finally done and over with!
Old 07-01-2013, 08:59 AM
GHW

I'm in the same situation, that is, looking for a mount (not the same size tv though). I went to Best Buy & the gal there seemed to think that the Rocket Fish brand was the better as compared to Sanus. Rocket Fish seems to get good reviews on Amazon & elsewhere....

Fair assessment?
Old 07-01-2013, 08:08 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 39
To the OP: Your two requirements (articulating and cheap) are mutually exclusive.

A non-articulating Cheetah flat mount (or similar) will be okay and can tilt up and down a bit. A flat mount doesn't have to be very beefy.

If your mount simply *must* be articulating, then take myoda's advice.
Old 07-01-2013, 10:18 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by GHW View Post

I'm in the same situation, that is, looking for a mount (not the same size tv though). I went to Best Buy & the gal there seemed to think that the Rocket Fish brand was the better as compared to Sanus. Rocket Fish seems to get good reviews on Amazon & elsewhere....

Fair assessment?

Best Buy owns Rocket Fish.